Brilliant Cultural Critic?

Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Could someone other than an OTNOTer be capable of wearing that championship title/belt?

Paglia strikes me as swinging between mad as a hatter, and a keen observer of humanity........ my kinda babe!

Taken from Salon.com, which is kind of a trade journal full of right wing secrets..........

Part 1:
http://www.salon.com/2015/07/28/camille ... ill_cosby/

Part deux:

http://www.salon.com/2015/07/29/camille ... _not_true/
Mr. Perfect

Re: Brilliant Cultural Critic?

Post by Mr. Perfect »

She describes perfectly why white liberals are failing to marry and procreate, and why they are breeding out. It's a very good set of observations..
Censorship isn't necessary
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Paglia is always good reading. Brilliant woman.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Paglia is always good reading. Brilliant woman.
and damn near as sexy as Ayn Rand..... ;)

How many will find your second sentence offensive......... yeah, we know what you really meant.... :)
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

I had to pleasure of meeting C. Paglia after attending one of her lectures in Chicago on her " Sexual Personae" book tour.

She is a far better writer than public speaker.

Any book that so completely infuriated so many of the usual social/cultural suspects had to be of some merit.

We chatted for a bit afterwards during her book signing as for some reason she seemed intrigued.

Back then she was a real fox.

Reason | Everything's Awesome and Camille Paglia Is Unhappy!

Brilliant indeed.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

she is always interesting.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Iconoclastic is always sexy. I salute the fact that she made a successful career out of being a hippie, and getting paid for what most do as a form of recreation.

I bet she relishes the critical/hateful commentary her interviews attract, and finds it energizing. If she doesn't hit a nerve, she probably finds that disappointing.

I enjoyed the comparisons to Ann Coulter & Dennis Miller. Opposite ends of the temperament spectrum. I would also throw Mark Steyn into that club of impressive intellects.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Me likes her. The ability to observe with a clean lens and stir the pot where needed. Thanks for the link SM. I baptize her the official Matriarch of Social Libertarianism. :D

I liked how she took on militant atheists and liberals. "Adolescent snark atheism" :D I think she has no children (?) but the Italian or Jewish moms she admires would not be so harsh on those adolescents; 1st: their criticisms are legit and often right on the mark. They have good reasons to be pissed off. 2nd: one can't expect kids to skip adolescence and jump right into adulthood after primary school.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Simple Minded wrote:

How many will find your second sentence offensive......... yeah, we know what you really meant.... :)
I have been reading Paglia for a decade, and anyone who finds that second sentence offensive simply has not read her much.

She is aggressively public about her feminism and lesbianism, and she almost always has her love of sexuality front and center in her essays.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

I have been reading Paglia for a decade, and anyone who finds that second sentence offensive simply has not read her much.

She is aggressively public about her feminism and lesbianism, and she almost always has her love of sexuality front and center in her essays.
You missed my humor Bro. I was playing the part of the person who feels the need to summarize in a few words, the life work of one who has had a shelf life of decades and published 1,000s of pages, or provide an evaluation of the author's fans or detractors.

I have been a fan of Paglia for years. One of the few who are easy to respect, whether you agree with her or not on any given issue.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Simple Minded wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

You missed my humor Bro. I was playing the part of the person who feels the need to summarize in a few words, the life work of one who has had a shelf life of decades and published 1,000s of pages, or provide an evaluation of the author's fans or detractors.

I have been a fan of Paglia for years. One of the few who are easy to respect, whether you agree with her or not on any given issue.
Humor is easy to miss online, and I value your insights. Sometimes I find myself only catching you in retrospect. The internet communication thing has some real issues, partly related to the fact that I don't always pay proper attention.

Often I need a friendly challenge and it is not offensive at all. Just let me put my half-baked ideas into the oven a bit longer . . .

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Humor is easy to miss online, and I value your insights. Sometimes I find myself only catching you in retrospect. The internet communication thing has some real issues, partly related to the fact that I don't always pay proper attention.

Often I need a friendly challenge and it is not offensive at all. Just let me put my half-baked ideas into the oven a bit longer . . .
Understood and agreed. I enjoy your perspectives. Your doctor has your meds dialed in a lot better than most humans. :)

Never take my spuelling seriously. It is merely my opinion, and not only was I raised on another planet, each day I become a bit more convinced we are all living on separate planets.

The battle cry of humanity: "I AM THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE!"

Other times, I like to go intentionally vague just to see how people choose to read or read into my posts.

Luckily, the bar for being considered a wack job on the internet is continually being raised. All we can do is push ourselves a little harder each day......

IthinkIcan, IthinkIcan, IthinkIcan, IthinkIcan, ;)
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Interestingly, Paglia in this last interview seems to be morphing from liberal to libertarian. Which seems common as one ages.

Also she is getting more skilled at the social media aspect of snarking. ie: classifying her intellectual competitors/vendors with just a few derogatory terms.

Marketing, everybody does it.
Nastarana

Post by Nastarana »

noddy wrote:she is always interesting.
She is a poseur, or would that be 'poseuse', with a superficial veneer of literacy and culture, courtesy of a good education and Catholic upbringing, who occasionally manages to state perfectly obvious points in a striking manner. The rest, about 7 tenths or so of her output, is merely hype. Like Mme Clinton, she is yesterday's news still nattering on about her personal enemies--Andrea Dworkin? Huh? Can we get to the part where I care?--and "issues" from two decades ago.

Examining her contributions in this interview.

Cosby. The media has been relentlessly flogging this dead horse for months to the accompaniment of vast public indifference. It is generally assumed that entertainers are lowlifes, and that the money, glitz and glamour, the fun and parties which attract hangers on do come with a price. If any of us out here in nowheresville were to approach a DA with a tale of crime committed years ago, AFTER the state of limitations had run out, the person would be laughed out of the DA's office, possibly with a warning to not waste the official's time. I hate to break the news to testosterone addled goofballs, but most of us think that lookers can look after themselves.

La Monica? Really? See what I mean about yesterday's news. Cry me a river, Camille. If she did not get the perks of a mistress to powerful man, it was because, 1. This ain't Europe, and 2. She herself never had the discretion and decorum which might have entitled her to such perks.

Hillary was mean to Bill's girlfriends. Puleeze. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Catfight! Grab her hair! Yank off her bra! :D

Seriously, Nastarana has a good point. Paglia is about the only public, non-homogenized female voice out there so it's easy to like her. She has no real competition.

Teresa of Ávila
Nastarana

Post by Nastarana »

I am glad I could amuse you, nonc.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Nastarana wrote:
noddy wrote:she is always interesting.
She is a poseur, or would that be 'poseuse', with a superficial veneer of literacy and culture, courtesy of a good education and Catholic upbringing, who occasionally manages to state perfectly obvious points in a striking manner. The rest, about 7 tenths or so of her output, is merely hype. Like Mme Clinton, she is yesterday's news still nattering on about her personal enemies--Andrea Dworkin? Huh? Can we get to the part where I care?--and "issues" from two decades ago.

Examining her contributions in this interview.

Cosby. The media has been relentlessly flogging this dead horse for months to the accompaniment of vast public indifference. It is generally assumed that entertainers are lowlifes, and that the money, glitz and glamour, the fun and parties which attract hangers on do come with a price. If any of us out here in nowheresville were to approach a DA with a tale of crime committed years ago, AFTER the state of limitations had run out, the person would be laughed out of the DA's office, possibly with a warning to not waste the official's time. I hate to break the news to testosterone addled goofballs, but most of us think that lookers can look after themselves.

La Monica? Really? See what I mean about yesterday's news. Cry me a river, Camille. If she did not get the perks of a mistress to powerful man, it was because, 1. This ain't Europe, and 2. She herself never had the discretion and decorum which might have entitled her to such perks.

Hillary was mean to Bill's girlfriends. Puleeze. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.
:)

being more interesting than the 'oh, i thought of the most basic and obvious adolescent emotional response and put it through my victim filter' crowd, is perhaps not that great an achievement.
ultracrepidarian
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

She is also entertaining.. with a talent to describe characters, or are they charicatures like the children she never had.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Nastarana wrote:I am glad I could amuse you, nonc.
To be right and to also be amusing is quite a talent.

I think a lot of Paglia's charm comes from her prolific consistency. I started reading her twenty some years ago, long before Salon, and she was the one of the few original thinkers out there. Everybody has a great observation now and then, but Paglia has put out 4-6 interesting pages every month for a long time. She has a great work ethic, which implies a certain solidity in her viewpoint.

Teresa of Ávila
Nastarana

Post by Nastarana »

Nonc Hilaire, we might have to agree to disagree. If she were not obsessed with sex, if she could get her head out of her, ahem, female parts, if she had not swallowed the Freudian fallacy hook, line and sinker, she might, in my judgement, be worth reading.

To me, she seems like one more hormonally obsessed chatterbox who ignores social, cultural and political background in favor of amateur psychologizing of the worst, cocktail party, kind.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Nastarana wrote:Nonc Hilaire, we might have to agree to disagree. If she were not obsessed with sex, if she could get her head out of her, ahem, female parts, if she had not swallowed the Freudian fallacy hook, line and sinker, she might, in my judgement, be worth reading.

To me, she seems like one more hormonally obsessed chatterbox who ignores social, cultural and political background in favor of amateur psychologizing of the worst, cocktail party, kind.
So who do you recommend?

Teresa of Ávila
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

Camille Paglia discusses her war on 'elitist garbage' and contemporary feminism
- Camille Paglia interviewed by Mitchell Sunderland, Broadly, 14 March 2017
https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/ ... y-feminism

In an interview about her new essay collection, the professor and controversial feminist discusses the failure of feminists on college campuses, why men deserve more credit for their labor, and how Sheryl Sandberg is "smug and entitled."

For five years, art history professor and controversial pro-sex feminist Camille Paglia has been quiet—at least by the standards she set in the 1990s when she sparked controversy for everything from questioning the existence of date rape to hailing Madonna as "the future of feminism." During the Obama era, she published one book and occasional viral essays, like her Sunday Times cover story about how Rihanna is the new Princess Diana. Most her time revolved around teaching at the University of the Arts and studying artifacts from Native American tribes who lived in southeastern Pennsylvania 10,000 years ago. This week, though, Paglia returns with a new book, Free Women, Free Men: Sex, Gender, and Feminism, collecting her greatest hits about gender, sex, and feminism from 1990 to 2016.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Q5WaXgEjBz8
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:Q5WaXgEjBz8
good interview. Thanks for posting. I agree with her, that, paraphrase in SM terms, those who are obsessed with a very small aspect of life (racial idendity, gender identification, etc.) are self limiting. As long as they self-segregate, it seems we all win.