Guns in the USA | Shooting the news

Doc

Re: Guns in the USA | Shooting the news

Post by Doc »

manolo wrote:Folks,

Donald Trump is your man for gun control. :)

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/01/23/polit ... y-support/

Alex.
The message went right over your head Alex. I would explain the irony, but you wouldn't understand. ;)
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

kmich wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:I didn't want to say it, but kmich these women will never ever ever have sex with you. I know lots of gun women and they have special disdain for males who find guns "icky".
Whatever. I have owned firearms all my life, have served in the military, and have proficiency. I hardly find them, "icky." I suppose "real men" have to demonstrate their macho by parading them around and preaching their "gun rights," as puerile as that may be...
Quite.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
manolo

Post by manolo »

Doc wrote:
manolo wrote:Folks,

Donald Trump is your man for gun control. :)

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/01/23/polit ... y-support/

Alex.
The message went right over your head Alex. I would explain the irony, but you wouldn't understand. ;)

Alex.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Gun shop owner, son killed over $25 firearm repair fee, sheriff says
Authorities say that Audy McCool, 52, and his son, Michael McCool, 29, went to the gun shop to pick up a weapon Saturday afternoon. The men were told the gun had not yet been repaired, and one of the men reportedly became angry that he had paid a $25 service charge but did not yet receive his firearm.

Jason McLemore’s wife reportedly witnessed the encounter, and called her husband and son in an effort to keep the incident from escalating.

"During this argument, we believe there might have been some pushing and shoving," Chief Deputy Shane Tucker said, the Sun Herald reported. "One of the customers and one of the owners produced firearms. We don't know who shot first."
If only everyone had been armed, this tragic incident might have been prevented!
manolo

Post by manolo »

Zack Morris wrote:Gun shop owner, son killed over $25 firearm repair fee, sheriff says
Authorities say that Audy McCool, 52, and his son, Michael McCool, 29, went to the gun shop to pick up a weapon Saturday afternoon. The men were told the gun had not yet been repaired, and one of the men reportedly became angry that he had paid a $25 service charge but did not yet receive his firearm.

Jason McLemore’s wife reportedly witnessed the encounter, and called her husband and son in an effort to keep the incident from escalating.

"During this argument, we believe there might have been some pushing and shoving," Chief Deputy Shane Tucker said, the Sun Herald reported. "One of the customers and one of the owners produced firearms. We don't know who shot first."
If only everyone had been armed, this tragic incident might have been prevented!
Perfect.

Alex.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

manolo wrote:
Zack Morris wrote:Gun shop owner, son killed over $25 firearm repair fee, sheriff says

Perfect.

Alex.
Only one of many . . .

http://us.tomonews.net/good-samaritan-s ... 8331553792

If only they both had had guns . . .
_____

I know. These one off examples don't prove anything.
However, as I noted before, the only people I want around me with guns in an urban setting, if absolutely unavoidable,
are highly trained professionals from whom the looney tunes have been weeded out.
Not unpredictable amateurs with potential issues.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

And gun rights just became more popular in the US. Thanks.
Censorship isn't necessary
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

The most fascinating aspect of this thread, well, almost all the threads on the US, and the perspective of the posters to me is the insistence on interpreting local problems as a national problems.

If the local gods can't fix the locals, how can the national Gods fix the nation?
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote:
The most fascinating aspect of this thread, well, almost all the threads on the US, and the perspective of the posters to me is the insistence on interpreting local problems as a national problems.

If the local gods can't fix the locals, how can the national Gods fix the nation?
Concentration camps can only be implemented on the national level.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Sure. The advanced OECD countries are full of them.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:Sure. The advanced OECD countries are full of them.
Yeah like this one

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotherham ... on_scandal
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

' World’s first handgun for disabled '

FDA approved as "medical device", insurance would cover it

gpGDtBnJ7eI
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Prices are high for antique palm pistols. It might make a good addition to a collection.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f ... at_id=1596
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:
Yeah like this one

Seriously?
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:
Yeah like this one

Seriously?
Let me put it to you this way. If you lived in Rotherham and someone was coming around threatening you then taking your child out for sex and the police would do nothing about it would you wish you owned a gun?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:
Yeah like this one

Seriously?
Let me put it to you this way. If you lived in Rotherham and someone was coming around threatening you then taking your child out for sex and the police would do nothing about it would you wish you owned a gun?
It is not clear from the link how the sexual exploitation - trafficking was carried out.

Were the perpetrators actually as brazen as "someone was coming around threatening you then taking your child out for sex" or did they prey on, say, runaways.

More a case of politcal correctness gone mad. Also this case is famous for being atypical.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

There is so much news/noise about child abuse coming from the UK - Jimmy Saville, that politically linked guest house, etc. - that it is quite confusing. I don't think one can seperate this Rotherham scandal from everything else.

Maybe Torchwood can shed some light on this.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:
Yeah like this one

Seriously?
It is not clear from the link how the sexual exploitation - trafficking was carried out.

Were the perpetrators actually as brazen as "someone was coming around threatening you then taking your child out for sex" or did they prey on, say, runaways.

More a case of politcal correctness gone mad. Also this case is famous for being atypical.
Many of the parents said they were threatened. A couple of fathers were arrested etc etc etc

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -tell.html

Doused in Petrol

In one of the most shocking cases highlighted in the report, Professor Jay described how in 2001 a 15-year-old girl was doused in petrol by her abuser who threatened to set her alight.

The teenager had been groomed by an older man who trafficked her from Rotherham to Leeds and Bradford where she was forced into having sex.

When social services attempted to intervene the girl was threatened and beaten by her abuser in order to warn her off identifying him

She was later stalked by him, doused in petrol and warned that she would be burned alive if she told the police anything. She made several attempts on her own life and eventually ended up homeless.

No action was taken against her abuser.

Part of growing up

The report also described how social workers and council chiefs were quick to dismiss the concerns of parents who were attempting to protect their children.

In one case in 2002 a mother contacted social services to voice concerns that her 14-year-old daughter was going missing regularly and was being plied with drink by older males.

Her mother said she was worried that her daughter had become sexually active with members of the group.

But despite showing signs that she had been sexually exploited from the age of 11, the case was closed and the social worker’s assessment was that the mother was unable to accept the fact that her daughter was growing up. Fathers arrested.

While the police often failed to take action against the abusers, there were cases where concerned parents were arrested for trying to protect their own children.

The report identified two separate cases where fathers who had tracked their daughters down and were trying to remove them from houses where they were being abused, were themselves arrested.

Victim’s sister threatened.

In 2001 a young girl who had been repeatedly raped escaped from her abuser’s clutches.

In order to send a message to her, the perpetrators smashed all the windows at her parents’ home before attacking her brother and breaking his legs.

At that point the teenager agreed to make a complaint to the police. However when she arrived at the police station she received a text message from her abuser telling her that he had her 11-year-old sister with him and adding: “your choice.”

She did not proceed with the complaint and later refused to cooperate with social services.

In the report Professor Jay concluded: “The incident raised questions about how the perpetrator knew where this young woman was and what she was doing.”
The bottom line is that if the police won't help to protect your children, do nothing besides threaten the parents with arrest, what other option do they have besides protecting them themselves?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

What do you think the odds are of a single armed individual against an organized gang?

The situation you are referring to is notable for the abject failure of politicians, police, and social workers in a community.

On the other hand, it is hardly representative of OECD countries, so it's not clear to me what point it makes.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:There is so much news/noise about child abuse coming from the UK - Jimmy Saville, that politically linked guest house, etc. - that it is quite confusing. I don't think one can seperate this Rotherham scandal from everything else.

Maybe Torchwood can shed some light on this.
Unfortunately, I don't think any country, the USA included, is in the clear when it comes to kiddy diddling.

Unlike the stereotype

Y7e4Y03uojg

it is often the proper upstanding members of the community who are involved.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Anyways, to be contemporary, time to update the unfortunate phrase "To go postal" to "To go Uber".
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:What do you think the odds are of a single armed individual against an organized gang?

The situation you are referring to is notable for the abject failure of politicians, police, and social workers in a community.

On the other hand, it is hardly representative of OECD countries, so it's not clear to me what point it makes.
The very fact that it is an abject failure of politicians, police and social workers IE GOVERNMENT that makes the case for more guns for protection of children.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:What do you think the odds are of a single armed individual against an organized gang?

The very fact that it is an abject failure of politicians, police and social workers IE GOVERNMENT that makes the case for more guns for protection of children.
I don't think so as it was neither endemic or systematic across the country.

On the other hand, in this specific case, if a group of parents organized themselves, acquired firearms, and blasted guilty gang members into their hereafter, then only The Guardian and some member of the Labour Party would have been upset.

Guns for the general population are only necessary when there is a breakdown of civil society and civilization.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:

I don't think so as it was neither endemic or systematic across the country.

On the other hand, in this specific case, if a group of parents organized themselves, acquired firearms, and blasted guilty gang members into their hereafter, then only The Guardian and some member of the Labour Party would have been upset.

Guns for the general population are only necessary when there is a breakdown of civil society and civilization.
Which Rotherham was.