Guns in the USA | Shooting the news

manolo

Re: Guns in the USA | Shooting the news

Post by manolo »

Simple Minded wrote: Off the record, parts of NYC, Detroit, DC, Chicago, Baltimore, etc. are kinda like giant, free range, insane asylums our elites have set up for some of the more problem prone/emotionally unstable Merikans.

SM,

A dislike of metropolitan areas is a common conservative mindset. I suspect that some liberals have a similar caution regarding the redneck backwoods. :shock:

Alex.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

manolo wrote:
Simple Minded wrote: Off the record, parts of NYC, Detroit, DC, Chicago, Baltimore, etc. are kinda like giant, free range, insane asylums our elites have set up for some of the more problem prone/emotionally unstable Merikans.

SM,

A dislike of metropolitan areas is a common conservative mindset. I suspect that some liberals have a similar caution regarding the redneck backwoods. :shock:

Alex.
Simple Minded is correct. There are areas of the US inner cities which even armed police avoid. They are gang occupied war zones.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

australia, the model of sensible gun laws just had a 15 year old iranian kid shooting some police IT guys down in the street.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/parramatta-sh ... k0jze.html
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Demon of Undoing wrote: . . .
As has been pointed out, these types of fatalities are statistically insignificant. There were more than ten times as many people that died last year due to adverse drug reactions when taken as prescribed. That's right, not abuse, but as prescribed.
More like a factor of 2, from what I've read.

However, the wrong medications were not prescribed on purpose, one presumes, but by accident.

In other words, the physician writing the prescription and the pharmacist dispensing it did not set out to kill the patient,
but to help them become well.

Also, the number of retail prescriptions [not including hospitals] filled in the USA per year is over 4 billion.
The estimated number of firearms is about 270 million, so percentage wise the prescription risk claim does not hold up.
Demon of Undoing wrote: Fun fact: the AR15, Ak and all other assault rifles are massively safer than your local hospital.
Yes, but the goal of a hospital is to help sick people recover, not to kill them.
The purpose of a firearm is to kill.
Demon of Undoing wrote: If we were serious about ending most gun violence, we would decriminalized drugs.
Agreed.
Demon of Undoing wrote: The only reason this stuff even gets political attention is because the left in the US wants to emotionally manipulate the easily malleable into cheering for their team.
I don't think so.

It is human nature to fear random unpredictable acts of violence and murder.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

manolo wrote:
SM,

Alex.
:lol: :lol:

alex,

go get your wife. Ask her what was the theme of the movie the above quote was taken from! :D

On the more serious side, you are right about both groups. Things are always cool until either group tries to project power and control over the other.

Up until that point, both are blissfully ignorant of the other, and there is no use or need for labels. :D

I expected you to reply with something from the movie Deliverance! :lol:
Last edited by Simple Minded on Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

manolo wrote:Demon,

Fact. A biker friend of mine (many moons) went over to the USA to look up some relatives. He was not out of the airport (NYC) more than 2 hours when he was in a bar and unfortunately it turned ugly and he was shot in the 'ass'. We (his friends) all thought this quite funny as he had been an obsessive about this US thing and even made up a fake American accent. He came back with his tail between his legs and was easier company after that. He lost the accent.

Alex.
:D

Exotic foreign cultures are never as appealing up close as they are from afar!

Did he ever find out what model and caliber of gun he was shot with? If he was my buddy, I'd have to buy a replica of that gun for him as a gift!

If you buy your buddy a drink and a copy of the DVD Paul, I'll send you the money via paypal! :D
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

noddy wrote:.

australia, the model of sensible gun laws just had a 15 year old iranian kid shooting some police IT guys down in the street.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/parramatta-sh ... k0jze.html

from the above link

Mr Scipione said police were a "long way from establishing a full picture of the boy" but said he was of Iraqi-Kurdish background ..

He was Iraqi Kurd .. no Iranian

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

If that is indeed the case, don't you think that it is a bit of a problem that significant parts of all your major cities are uninhabitable except by anyone who is either too dumb to live or batsh*t crazy?
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:

If that is indeed the case, don't you think that it is a bit of a problem that significant parts of all your major cities are uninhabitable except by anyone who is either too dumb to live or batsh*t crazy?
YES!! Everywhere progressives go tragedy is sure to follow.

"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:

I would not say all the major cities, but some areas are similar to the no-go zones in France.

It is a problem, and if I were to sum it up in one word, that word would be freedom. It is not really all that unusual for individuals, families, corporations, towns, counties, and other organizations/institutions to adopt self-destructive cultures.

Everyone has a “right” to live their lives as they see fit, and if their ideology means they are dis-functional, well….. that is still their right. Pretty soon we get back to "am I my brother's keeper.'

Recall that we have cultural pockets in the US that believe “tiger moms” or parents with standards that are higher than society’s standards should be punished, and those who don’t think AGW is sound science should be burned at the stake along with their published material.

My wife’s family is from a county in upstate NY, where the locals for decades have been anti-business (as is much of NY state itself). The result is predictable, costs go up, revenues go down, the kids with ambition move out. Cities and counties going thru boom and bust phases is actually pretty common in the US. Sometimes it is related to local industries, sometimes to local culture. Often it is a desire for more "free services" and when cities/counties are prosperous, why not? Eventually their cost base get higher than other areas, people and businesses leave of their own free will.

When I got out of high school, you would have been considered nuts to say you were moving to the cesspool of NYC, but very intelligent to be moving to the booming city of Detroit.

On a bigger scale, we have seen this movement between Europe, the US, Japan , China, Korea, Vietnam, India

How to survive long term prosperity seems to be the problem. Rags to riches to rags in three generations applies to more than just individuals. Doesn't strike me as a political or economic problem, but an innate aspect of human nature. Cycles of growth and decay.

In the long run we're all dead. So people find those who claim to be able to fix things now, very appealing....... and if they are right for a couple decades, they are happy. :D

What has posterity ever done for us?
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Selfish Gene says Immortality or at least a chance at it....

Post by monster_gardener »

Simple Minded wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

I would not say all the major cities, but some areas are similar to the no-go zones in France.

It is a problem, and if I were to sum it up in one word, that word would be freedom. It is not really all that unusual for individuals, families, corporations, towns, counties, and other organizations/institutions to adopt self-destructive cultures.

Everyone has a “right” to live their lives as they see fit, and if their ideology means they are dis-functional, well….. that is still their right. Pretty soon we get back to "am I my brother's keeper.'

Recall that we have cultural pockets in the US that believe “tiger moms” or parents with standards that are higher than society’s standards should be punished, and those who don’t think AGW is sound science should be burned at the stake along with their published material.

My wife’s family is from a county in upstate NY, where the locals for decades have been anti-business (as is much of NY state itself). The result is predictable, costs go up, revenues go down, the kids with ambition move out. Cities and counties going thru boom and bust phases is actually pretty common in the US. Sometimes it is related to local industries, sometimes to local culture. Often it is a desire for more "free services" and when cities/counties are prosperous, why not? Eventually their cost base get higher than other areas, people and businesses leave of their own free will.

When I got out of high school, you would have been considered nuts to say you were moving to the cesspool of NYC, but very intelligent to be moving to the booming city of Detroit.

On a bigger scale, we have seen this movement between Europe, the US, Japan , China, Korea, Vietnam, India

How to survive long term prosperity seems to be the problem. Rags to riches to rags in three generations applies to more than just individuals. Doesn't strike me as a political or economic problem, but an innate aspect of human nature. Cycles of growth and decay.

In the long run we're all dead. So people find those who claim to be able to fix things now, very appealing....... and if they are right for a couple decades, they are happy. :D

What has posterity ever done for us?
Thank You Very Much for your post, Simple Minded.....

Selfish Gene ;) would say "Immortality"........

Or at least a bid at it........
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Simple Minded wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

You're talking about the northern reaches of Idaho, right? Typhoon would be risking his life traveling to towns there.
Of course. We've known it all along: conservatives mean something very different than the rest of us when they talk about "freedom" and "liberty"...
"Freedom" and "liberty" are code words for an Antebellum sort of existence. We made a mistake in letting Americans think they have a "right" to live their lives as they see fit, worship freely, and vote according to "their" interests.
Yes, we do have such cultural pockets -- they're called "Flyover Country." The blue regions of the country -- "Real America" or "Paradise", if you prefer -- are the exclusive domains of "tiger moms". Out in the hinterlands, achievement of any kind is not in vogue. And immigrants of any kind are despised.
manolo

Post by manolo »

Simple Minded wrote: I expected you to reply with something from the movie Deliverance! :lol:
SM,

Alex.
manolo

Post by manolo »

Simple Minded wrote: It is a problem, and if I were to sum it up in one word, that word would be freedom.
SM,

I've travelled widely all over Europe, and felt free enough in every 'rough' area. There was a slight shiver when I came across the corpse of a man in the docklands of Barcelona. My spirits were raised again in the next street by a lively group of transvestite prostitutes. :)

But there is one 'no -go' area that does defeat even me. It is a road near my home which is inhabited by wealth. The houses have high fences and obscured gates, with entry phone systems. There are security cameras all over, some hidden in the trees. All the properties have scary 'keep out' signs, the worst of which is a repeater sign saying 'Keep out, fierce dogs running free!'

I have only walked in that road once, with my wife, and we both agreed that those houses taught us something about freedom and confinement. :(

Alex.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

manolo wrote:
SM,

I've travelled widely all over Europe, and felt free enough in every 'rough' area. There was a slight shiver when I came across the corpse of a man in the docklands of Barcelona. My spirits were raised again in the next street by a lively group of transvestite prostitutes. :)
:lol: You are rapidly approaching noddy in terms of me assigning you "my hero" status
manolo wrote: But there is one 'no -go' area that does defeat even me. It is a road near my home which is inhabited by wealth. The houses have high fences and obscured gates, with entry phone systems. There are security cameras all over, some hidden in the trees. All the properties have scary 'keep out' signs, the worst of which is a repeater sign saying 'Keep out, fierce dogs running free!'

I have only walked in that road once, with my wife, and we both agreed that those houses taught us something about freedom and confinement. :(

Alex.
yet there are those for whom wealth remains the only measure that matters. rich = good + free + happy

not something I have ever found to be true

Think about current and past POTUSes, they have power, but not freedom.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Zack,

One of the powerful aspects of "freedom" is you get to choose how you perceive the world.

As Milton said "The mind is a place in itself, it can make a heaven of hell or a hell of heaven."

I'm not sure if Milton was one of "us" or one of "them."

And as Frankl said "Between stimulus and response, man has the ability to choose."

I also do not know if Frankl was one of "us" or one of "them."
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

12072684_10206060722895555_6795681325045621944_n.jpg
12072684_10206060722895555_6795681325045621944_n.jpg (79.53 KiB) Viewed 653 times
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:
:lol:

that's why I have never had an abortion.....

the wand up the ass, deterrent or enticement?
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

For me, it depends on who is administering the wand.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
The attachment 12072684_10206060722895555_6795681325045621944_n.jpg is no longer available
Abortion is currently the law of the land. There is no waiting period.

Though SIZE REALLY DOES MATTER>
SIZE REALLY DOES MATTER2.png
SIZE REALLY DOES MATTER2.png (22.02 KiB) Viewed 624 times
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
manolo

Post by manolo »

Simple Minded wrote:
And as Frankl said "Between stimulus and response, man has the ability to choose."
SM,

As someone said (don't remember) - "Action and reaction, the oldest couple in the universe."

Alex.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Zack Morris wrote:For me, it depends on who is administering the wand.
:lol: :lol:

Good point, possibly, literally.
Last edited by Simple Minded on Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

manolo wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:
SM,

As someone said (don't remember) - "Action and reaction, the oldest couple in the universe."

Alex.
Nice corollary.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Abortion is currently the law of the land. There is no waiting period.

Though SIZE REALLY DOES MATTER>
SIZE REALLY DOES MATTER2.png
On the plus side of the gun debate and the abortion debate, as Typhoon has pointed out it is rare to be shot by a stranger, and no one is never aborted by a stranger. :D

My father wanted to abort me. Luckily, my mother said "No! He is already in his 43rd tri-mester and he is the only one of our sons that will mow the lawn without being asked!"
manolo

Post by manolo »

Folks,

An 8yr old child has been gunned down in Tennessee by an 11 yr old child.

http://www.newsweek.com/11-year-old-fac ... old-380159

Alex.