Guns in the USA | Shooting the news

Typhoon

Re: Guns in the USA | Shooting the news

Post by Typhoon »

Recently looked this up.

The US has 112.6 firearms per 100 residents*

and despite effectively having more firearms than people still cannot prevent repeated mass shooting sprees.

The proposed solution? More firearms.

Fascinating.

*wherein resident includes anyone and everyone with a mailing address

Context:

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon, You are being facetious here, right?

As a man of science, you would know it is not the total number of guns that are the problem, but the limited range of the guns owned by gun owners who are outside of the "Gun Free" zones. Now if they had the ability to shoot, sniper style, from outside the gun free zones, in to the gun free zones.... ;)

or perhaps it is more a Marxist problem, not too many guns, but unequal distribution of guns? :o
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:Typhoon, You are being facetious here, right?

As a man of science, you would know it is not the total number of guns that are the problem, but the limited range of the guns owned by gun owners who are outside of the "Gun Free" zones. Now if they had the ability to shoot, sniper style, from outside the gun free zones, in to the gun free zones.... ;)

or perhaps it is more a Marxist problem, not too many guns, but unequal distribution of guns? :o
Yes, partly. :wink:
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

The idea of gun control is to make it easier to arrest people with guns. This could work if all trials were jury trials and juries were informed of their absolute right to nullify the law in favor of justice.

Mandatory sentencing guidelines and plea bargaining screw that up. The court has become a mindless meat grinder instead of an arbiter of justice.

Gun control is a bad thing in the current system because it catches the good guys with the bad.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:The idea of gun control is to make it easier to arrest people with guns. This could work if all trials were jury trials and juries were informed of their absolute right to nullify the law in favor of justice.

Mandatory sentencing guidelines and plea bargaining screw that up. The court has become a mindless meat grinder instead of an arbiter of justice.

Gun control is a bad thing in the current system because it catches the good guys with the bad.
well said. but it avoids a lot of emotional hot button issues and finger pointing, so it will probably not be popular.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:Typhoon, You are being facetious here, right?

Yes, partly. :wink:
it would be an interesting social experiment to take a high crime city, and just flood it with small cheap handguns. Everyone who is over 21 gets a gun and ammo when they pick up a welfare or social security check, pay their electric bill, property taxes, or stop by city hall and fill out the forms.

Would crime and violence increase or fall? And for how long? When would it stabilize? Would the neighborhood cull the bad seeds? Who would feel more empowered, the good people or the bad people? Would it be killing field chaos, or as would people be as polite as they are at gun shows?

Then in a similar city, do the same but tell everyone in that city that each gun and bullet were uniquely traceable to each person.

Would the inanimate objects dominate the personalities, or would the personalities dominate the inanimate objects?
noddy

Post by noddy »

from my experience the results would be tightly tied to the amphetamine usage.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

on a lighter note:

https://www.google.com/search?q=best+pr ... Pgodz5wARA

https://www.google.com/search?q=best+an ... A&dpr=1.25

In the olden days I liked the "Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns" bumper sticker

Now "Monica Lewinsky's x-boyfriend's wife for president!" and "If babies had guns they wouldn't be aborted!" make me smile.

If people ever get rational, this world will be so boring...... :D
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:from my experience the results would be tightly tied to the amphetamine usage.
so you are saying the inanimate object the person ingests would dominate their personality more than the inanimate object they own.....

I think you may be right. big market out there for Chill Pills........
YMix

Post by YMix »

Two die in two US university shootings

Two people have died after two separate university shootings in Texas and Arizona, just hours apart.

One person was killed and three injured in the first shooting at Northern Arizona University early on Friday, which involved fraternity members.

Later that morning a shooting at a student complex near Texas Southern University left one person dead.

The attacks came as President Barack Obama visited families of victims of a college shooting in Oregon.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:
noddy wrote:from my experience the results would be tightly tied to the amphetamine usage.
so you are saying the inanimate object the person ingests would dominate their personality more than the inanimate object they own.....

I think you may be right. big market out there for Chill Pills........
amphetamines turn you into an aggressive zero tolerance ball of indestructible energy with a god complex, which is why they are the pill of choice for armies, bikers and miscellaneous thugs.

their is a school of thought that many of the nazi atrocities and the worst of the american soliders flipping out in various wars all leads back to a certain stimulant.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
Amphetamines turn you into an aggressive zero tolerance ball of indestructible energy with a god complex, which is why they are the pill of choice for armies, bikers and miscellaneous thugs.
I think I might have a vitamin A deficiency.....
Doc

Post by Doc »

YMix wrote:

Two people have died after two separate university shootings in Texas and Arizona, just hours apart.

One person was killed and three injured in the first shooting at Northern Arizona University early on Friday, which involved fraternity members.

Later that morning a shooting at a student complex near Texas Southern University left one person dead.

The attacks came as President Barack Obama visited families of victims of a college shooting in Oregon.
I suppose Obama went to the wrong school, even if there were no fund raisers close by.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:on a lighter note:

https://www.google.com/search?q=best+pr ... Pgodz5wARA

https://www.google.com/search?q=best+an ... A&dpr=1.25

In the olden days I liked the "Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns" bumper sticker

Now "Monica Lewinsky's x-boyfriend's wife for president!" and "If babies had guns they wouldn't be aborted!" make me smile.

If people ever get rational, this world will be so boring...... :D
I think it was the Lyndon LaRouche cult that had a bump sticker:
What spreads faster than radioactive fallout?

Jane Fonda
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:
YMix wrote:

I suppose Obama went to the wrong school, even if there were no fund raisers close by.
Would setting up an official college hunting season help keep under control and in check to an acceptable level?
YMix

Post by YMix »

Doc wrote:I suppose Obama went to the wrong school, even if there were no fund raisers close by.
Looks like he should just go from school to school all year long.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:
YMix wrote:

Would setting up an official college hunting season help keep under control and in check to an acceptable level?
For Dems any level is acceptable above zero as long as it gives them a chance to politicize
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Panic strikes school after student says ‘gum’

October 14, 2015

KYLE, Texas – Emotions are on a hair trigger in schools these days.

So much so, just hearing the word “gum” can cause a school-wide freak-out, as evidenced by an episode Wednesday.

A student at Lehman High School student reportedly asked for some chewing gum, but another student thought the student said “gun,” KCEN reports.

No gun was found and Hays County, Texas school district spokesman Tim Savoy insists the school was never in “lock down,” though school administrators did “hold students in their extended class periods to investigate the concern with little to no disruption to their schedule.”

gum gun 337x244Principal Michelle Chae sent a letter home to parents after the incident, according to the Hays Free Press, writing:

Dear Lobo Parents,

This morning we received a report from a student that there was allegedly a weapon on campus. After investigating the concern, it was determined that a student thought he heard the word “gun,” but in fact it was another student asking for some “gum.”

The safety of our students is always foremost on our list of priorities, so we take these concerns seriously. We continue to encourage students to report anything they see or hear that causes them concern. Fortunately, in this case, it was a misunderstanding and there was no threat to our school or need to conduct a lockdown.

Because we are conducting the PSAT, we were able to hold students in their extended class periods to investigate the concern with little to no disruption to their schedule.

Sincerely,

Michelle Chae
Principal, LHS

No gun was ever found. No word on if the student ever got the requested gum.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

:lol:

Ya gotta admit, those are very useful life lessons. Some things you don't want to learn the hard way.

"Always learn from others. He who teaches himself has a fool for a master."
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

All drones, or only the gun carrying drones? ;)

Not having enough criminals in society is easily fixed with more regulation.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Maybe having lots of concealed carry drones would make for a more polite society.
noddy

Post by noddy »

if everyone had a drone equipped with railguns it would be awesome, like the knife missles in the culture books.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Now that it is possible to do a lot more damage with a smartphone or a computer than with a gun, all electronic devices should be registered.

thankfully, it has never occurred to any American to carry their smartphone in a concealed manner.