Dead white guys

Heracleum Persicum

Re: Dead white guys

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Middle class takes financial hit in most US cities this century
More than four-fifths of America’s metropolitan areas have seen household incomes decline this century

The drivers of the middle-class squeeze vary from city to city, but some of the steepest income declines were seen in cities hit by industrial job losses in recent decades. Springfield, Ohio, saw incomes fall 27 per cent over the period, while the Detroit-Warren-Dearborn area of Michigan recorded an 18 per cent drop in incomes. Nationwide the number of manufacturing jobs shrank 29 per cent during the current century.

Interesting FT article

NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Simple Minded wrote:
Your posts are always welcome in my cyberspace.

The Us-Them game never ends for those obsessed with group identity.

Lots of money to be made playing the race card, the religion card, the left-right card, the nationalist card, etc.
That is kind of you, 'specially as I take up lotsa pixels. #pixelobesity #my6000sizefont
Last edited by NapLajoieonSteroids on Tue May 31, 2016 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

Lots of money to be made playing the race card, the religion card, the left-right card, the nationalist card, etc.

That is kind of you, 'specially as I take up lotsa pixels. #pixelobesity #my6000sizefont

No worries mate. "Peak Pixel" is just a myth created by the Bilderbergers to keep us down.
Have you seen the hockey stick graph of pixel population? Use as many as you want. Lots of days, I'm mutilating Mother Nature in the woods. On those days you could even double your voracious consumption with out significant effect.
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: He's playin' everyone for chumps. The first step was to ignore repeated permabans and drove the owner of the site away. The second was to claim constant attack by other forum members. The third was to agitate for 'People of Color Only' threads. Now, the struggle sessions begin, where if you don't post how your whiteness corrupts the world, you are harassed and doxxed. He's taken what was a pop culture forum and politicized it along racial lines, all policed by him. The kicker is that the guy is Canadian and would be considered 'white' to most people. But because he's a little darker than your average Scandinavian, he gets to play Frantz Fanon.

And while it's importance is trivial since it's an internet forum, it ties in well with the anthropology thread Apollonius posted in the Philosophy forum- it's the same tactics. When people lose confidence in themselves, they hand themselves over to opportunists and bullies of one sort or another. Whether it is the increase of [what I'll call] paganizing 'whites' or Fanonistas; it's tribalism and self-worship repackaged and it's awfully ugly.
IME, those who are into self-loathing find a peculiar comfort in victimhood. As the old Redneck Zen saying goes "Misery loves company."

Or as noddy says: "Crabs in a bucket."

After we are all determined to be victims, there will be plenty of time to argue about classification & hierarchy of victim status.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

Middle class takes financial hit in most US cities this century
More than four-fifths of America’s metropolitan areas have seen household incomes decline this century

The drivers of the middle-class squeeze vary from city to city, but some of the steepest income declines were seen in cities hit by industrial job losses in recent decades. Springfield, Ohio, saw incomes fall 27 per cent over the period, while the Detroit-Warren-Dearborn area of Michigan recorded an 18 per cent drop in incomes. Nationwide the number of manufacturing jobs shrank 29 per cent during the current century.

Interesting FT article

Indeed.

Now imaging the introduction of automated driverless transport trucks and the direct and indirect job losses.

Still, not to worry. Trump will wave his magic hair and fix all these structural problems.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

No worries mate. "Peak Pixel" is just a myth created by the Bilderbergers to keep us down.
Have you seen the hockey stick graph of pixel population? Use as many as you want. Lots of days, I'm mutilating Mother Nature in the woods. On those days you could even double your voracious consumption with out significant effect.
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: He's playin' everyone for chumps. The first step was to ignore repeated permabans and drove the owner of the site away. The second was to claim constant attack by other forum members. The third was to agitate for 'People of Color Only' threads. Now, the struggle sessions begin, where if you don't post how your whiteness corrupts the world, you are harassed and doxxed. He's taken what was a pop culture forum and politicized it along racial lines, all policed by him. The kicker is that the guy is Canadian and would be considered 'white' to most people. But because he's a little darker than your average Scandinavian, he gets to play Frantz Fanon.

And while it's importance is trivial since it's an internet forum, it ties in well with the anthropology thread Apollonius posted in the Philosophy forum- it's the same tactics. When people lose confidence in themselves, they hand themselves over to opportunists and bullies of one sort or another. Whether it is the increase of [what I'll call] paganizing 'whites' or Fanonistas; it's tribalism and self-worship repackaged and it's awfully ugly.
IME, those who are into self-loathing find a peculiar comfort in victimhood. As the old Redneck Zen saying goes "Misery loves company."

Or as noddy says: "Crabs in a bucket."

After we are all determined to be victims, there will be plenty of time to argue about classification & hierarchy of victim status.
Since I first consciously studied these issues,
I've considered race, an artificial non-biological construct, along with nationality, religion, and ethnicity
to be the lowest common denominators as all are what one was born into.
None took any effort on an individual's part to achieve.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:
Since I first consciously studied these issues,
I've considered race, an artificial non-biological construct, along with nationality, religion, and ethnicity
to be the lowest common denominators as all are what one was born into.
None took any effort on an individual's part to achieve.
Succinctly and well said.

Very few make a conscious choice to choose a religion that differs from the one forced upon them in their formative years. The rest of one's "self-identity" is determined by accident of birth.... :?

Same with cultural and even "scientific" fashions as religion. The world is flat, the sun revolves around the earth, the Coming Ice Age, AGW anyone?

The act of being proud or ashamed of something that is beyond one's control, or being proud or ashamed, not due to one's personal achievements or failures, but due to the actions of one's ancestors, prior to one's birth is a strange, cult phenomena.

But it is popular, so it is also profitable.... hmmmm.... cult as identity, income, and a sense of "belonging." Covers all human needs. What's not to like?
noddy

Post by noddy »

thats one viewpoint, and certainly is a solid one.

then their is the reality that having cultural shorthands and a simple set of rules that are known and easy to follow is the desire of every human on the planet, except for some oddball loner hermit types.

the multiculti sophisticate men of mystery still have their own set of rules for being in the cool crowd, every bit as much as the most tribal meathead from backwaterstan.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Reminds me of the following observation:
Nonconformists travel as a rule in bunches.
You rarely find a nonconformist who goes it alone.
And woe to him inside a nonconformist clique who does not conform with nonconformity.

~ Eric Heller
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:thats one viewpoint, and certainly is a solid one.

then their is the reality that having cultural shorthands and a simple set of rules that are known and easy to follow is the desire of every human on the planet, except for some oddball loner hermit types.

the multiculti sophisticate men of mystery still have their own set of rules for being in the cool crowd, every bit as much as the most tribal meathead from backwaterstan.
absolutely. mental shorthand regarding culture is more popular than the written form.

every one of us knows those whose opinions we value, and those whose opinions we don't value. It's how we sort out "us" & "them" out of "we." ;)
YMix

Post by YMix »

Baby Bust: 2015 had lowest U.S. fertility rate ever, down 600,000 births

Jitters about the slumping economy over the last decade impacted the American bedroom too, resulting in a huge baby gap as couples gave up making families. And it's still lingering.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
YMix

Post by YMix »

US low-skill males drop out of jobs market

[...]

The analysis shows that participation rates have diverged sharply between people who have a college degree or more, and those who do not. In 1964, some 98 per cent of prime-age, college-educated men participated in the workforce, compared with 97 per cent of those with a high-school degree or less. By 2015, the rate for college-educated men had slipped to 94 per cent, while that for those with a high-school degree or less had plunged to 83 per cent.

The declines affected all races and ethnicities, but the steepest declines were among black men, the Council of Economic Advisers found. The data suggest that the benefits traditionally seen to stem from the US’s flexible, lightly regulated jobs market are not accruing to a significant share of the potential workforce.

Part of the reason behind the fall in demand for lower-skilled labour is the drop in manufacturing jobs resulting from technological change.

In addition, advances in technology favour some workers with high skills more than others, leading to a hollowing-out of opportunities for people with middle or lower skills.

More than a third of those prime-age men who are outside the workforce are living in poverty, suggesting their decision to drop out is not a choice they made because they had other sources of income.

[...]
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
Doc

Post by Doc »

RIP Elie Wiesel
Elie Wiese.jpg
Elie Wiese.jpg (95.43 KiB) Viewed 310 times

"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
YMix

Post by YMix »

Ask not who the chickens roost for.
UPDATE: Reader Br. James Patrick posts:

I attended a public theological discussion group recently in my city. I was initially happily surprised by so very many young folks attending. As the evening progressed I counted the room. Those of us ‘over 40’ amounted to about seven. The rest of the room appeared considerably under 30 and numbered about 35.

Of those under 30-ish, One female and one male professed to be a happy believing Christian. That’s about 6%. I was shocked when the discussion continued and they mirrored what Rod quotes above.

Only the one male who was happy to be a believing Christian grew up in a mainline Church (Episcopalian). The 34 others grew up as home-schooled, private-schooled, Conservative Evangelical Christians and there was one female who remained a believing Christian.

The hatred for their Churches was palpable in the room among those who generally said they were agnostic at best. They felt they had been lied to and the leaders they once respected only told them to the things they once believed in to promote their political power. This strong emotion could only come (in my opinion) from those who once loved the faith, but are now betrayed. It was extremely unnerving for me.

To be blunt, these were all suburban white kids (except for one) that had been raised as their parents thought would keep them in the Church for a lifetime. However due to the lies of the leaders and the political machinations, this has backfired spectacularly. For the folks in the room, the Trump election was the cherry on top of a lifetime of being lied to. I was profoundly shocked by how strong they reacted to it, and how they linked it to all the lies they heard growing up.

When I was a young man, I was an enthusiastic supporter of Jerry Falwell’s moral majority, et. al. Back then, I recall an ‘old’ Pastor warning me that “to get so involved with politics was to eventually compromise the Gospel”. I thought he was an old fuddy duddy.

It’s so sad to live to see this day, and I fear what will come after. Rod is right, the conservative Evangelical churches will see the true cost of the deal they have made with this particular devil. But it won’t just be them, it will be all Christians.
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/ ... ancy-down/
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Infighting is a beautiful thang!