The effects of Tea Party fiscal policy on Kansas, Louisiana

Zack Morris

The effects of Tea Party fiscal policy on Kansas, Louisiana

Post by Zack Morris »

Republicans have long been vocal about their belief that lower taxes, especially on businesses, lead to economic growth and even an increase in overall tax revenue. This is the same concept underlying the Laffer curve but even more simplistic in that it is often stated axiomatically in a completely unqualified form. All of the GOP front runners promise lower taxes and Ted Cruz goes the furthest with a plan to abolish the IRS and institute a flat tax.

But can we find an example of similar policies being implemented in the US? Yes, two examples, in fact: Kansas under Brownback and Louisiana. The effects have not only been disastrous, they have been swift.
The Koch-backed Kansas Policy Institute predicted that Brownback’s 2013 tax plan would generate $323 million in new revenue. During its first full year in operation, the plan produced a $688 million loss. Meanwhile, Kansas’s job growth actually trailed that of its neighboring states. With that nearly $700 million deficit, the state had bought itself a 1.1 percent increase in jobs, just below Missouri’s 1.5 percent and Colorado’s 3.3.

Those numbers have hardly improved in the intervening years. In 2015, job growth in Kansas was a mere 0.1 percent, even as the nation’s economy grew 1.9 percent. Brownback pledged to bring 100,000* new jobs to the state in his second term; as of January, he has brought 700. What’s more, personal income growth slowed dramatically since the tax cuts went into effect. Between 2010 and 2012, Kansas saw income growth of 6.1 percent, good for 12th in the nation; from 2013 to 2015, that rate was 3.6 percent, good for 41st.

Meanwhile, revenue shortfalls have devastated the state’s public sector along with its most vulnerable citizens. Since Brownback’s inauguration, 1,414 Kansans with disabilities have been thrown off Medicaid. In 2015, six school districts in the state were forced to end their years early for lack of funding. Cuts to health and human services are expected to cause 65 preventable deaths this year in Sedgwick County alone. In February, tax receipts came in $53 million below estimates; Brownback immediately cut $17 million from the state’s university system. This data is not lost on the people of Kansas — as of November, Brownback’s approval rating was 26 percent, the lowest of any governor in the United States.
Why didn't the magic work? Any Brownbackers on this forum?
Doc

Re: The effects of Tea Party fiscal policy on Kansas, Louisi

Post by Doc »

Hey you know Hillary says that gun manufactures should be sued when people use guns for violence That got me to thinking Ten of millions of dollars are stolen pretty much everyday via the internet and buggy software. I think the software manufactures need to be sued as well. Manufactures need ot be held accountable for all the people they get killed Software in particularly given the cavalier attitude coders have WRT defective software.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Let's limit this discussion to the Kansas budget crisis. There's even a blog: www.kansasbudget.com
Doc

Post by Doc »

Zack Morris wrote:Let's limit this discussion to the Kansas budget crisis. There's even a blog: www.kansasbudget.com
OK Then tax software types making lots of money at 110% of income That should eliminate the budget deficit in no time. Don't you agree that more taxes are needed after all? Plus an industry with a notorious reputation for making defective products ad charging outrageous prices should be made to pay more taxes as a much needed social engineering of the economy. Don't you agree? You can't blame the hardware guys Just look at Hillary's private server I am sure it was clearly labeled "Intel inside"
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
YMix

Post by YMix »

Nearly a year later, the Democratic president is suddenly a more popular figure in Kansas than the reelected Republican governor, according to a new poll. It’s not that Obama has won the hearts of voters in the heartland—just 28 percent of respondents said they were “very” or “somewhat satisfied” with the president’s performance. It’s that support for Brownback has fallen off a cliff in the midst of a difficult year that saw the tax policies he enacted early in his tenure lead to a gaping budget deficit. Just 18 percent of Kansas voters said they were satisfied or very satisfied with Brownback, while nearly half—48 percent—were “very dissatisfied” with his performance. More than three-fifths of respondents called Brownback’s tax policy either a “failure” or a “tremendous failure.” (By comparison, just 0.2 percent said it was a “tremendous success.”)
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

It's one thing to be suspicious of government. I think we all should be.

However, it is another entirely to believe it to be the source of all problems.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:It's one thing to be suspicious of government. I think we all should be.

Not all, just most.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:.

It's one thing to be suspicious of government. I think we all should be.

Not all, just most.

True, Doc is right

That is why Ayatollah Mesbah Yazdi says (and seems Tea Party agrees) GOD decides things, no need of Government.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Doc

Post by Doc »

The truth is that if Dems had been running Louisiana and Kansas there never would have been an oil boom nor the keystone XL.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Doc wrote:.

The truth is that if Dems had been running Louisiana and Kansas there never would have been an oil boom nor the keystone XL.

Oil boom was a (political) scam

Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Doc wrote:The truth is that if Dems had been running Louisiana and Kansas there never would have been an oil boom nor the keystone XL.
Bullcrap. The Democrats and oil built Louisiana with help from the Whitney Bank, the only US bank to maintain an independent interest rate. The US Strategic Oil Reserve is in Louisiana for a damn good reason. Look up the story of Judge Leander Perez if you want the real rip-roaring story of oil and Louisiana.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:The truth is that if Dems had been running Louisiana and Kansas there never would have been an oil boom nor the keystone XL.
A common form of logical fallacy: creating an entirely speculative alternate history and misrepresenting it as fact.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Typhoon wrote: A common form of logical fallacy: creating an entirely speculative alternate history and misrepresenting it as fact.
if that was enforced it would reduce the interwebs to cat pics and boobs.
ultracrepidarian
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
A common form of logical fallacy: creating an entirely speculative alternate history and misrepresenting it as fact.
Of course the keystone XL was never built because of democrats However the State of LA would have benefited from it economically as much as any other state. As the oil that was to flow through it would have been largely refined in that state. So no, not a logical fallacy in the least.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
Typhoon wrote: A common form of logical fallacy: creating an entirely speculative alternate history and misrepresenting it as fact.
if that was enforced it would reduce the interwebs to cat pics and boobs.
By boobs, do you mean human female mammary glands, or people who post more than they know?

enquiring minds want to know, nah, not really...... just posting....
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Of course the keystone XL was never built because of democrats However the State of LA would have benefited from it economically as much as any other state. As the oil that was to flow through it would have been largely refined in that state. So no, not a logical fallacy in the least.
Yes, I think you're right on that point.

Makes one wonder what all the fuss was about. Seems that the Keystone XL pipeline became an out of all proportion symbol.
Catering to the vocal subset of environmentalists who are inumerates and scientific, technological, and economic illiterates presumably.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Zack Morris, I guess you didn't look up the effect of fiscal policy of obama/California Democrats et al before you posted this.

There are many stark reasons you are the superminority party.

I could write an article "Democrats must answer for what they did to America and States like California", but the American people already wrote that article at the ballot box, rewarding you with probably the greatest political collapse of all time, supermajority to superminority within 6 years.
Censorship isn't necessary
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

California is doing phenomenally well right now. It's an economic powerhouse and job growth has outpaced the nation. Nobody wanted to relocate to Kansas, apparently. Here's the key point: none of the doomsday predictions about California came true. But they came true -- very quickly -- in Kansas. The state's economy is suffering from the predictable consequences of Tea Party policy.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Stick with moderate to liberal economic policies, like Nevada and its GOP leadership, and maybe you'll really attain supermajority status. But follow the conservative Kansas/Tea Party approach, and you'll be superminority faster than Speedy Gonzales running away from a Trump rally.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

California is bankrupt along with other Democrat cities and states, Americans have seen obama's liberal policies and watched GOP governors balance their budgets with tax cuts and disciplined spending for over 20 years, resulting in a supermajority of governorships.

A permanent supermajority already attained.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

If your definition of "bankrupt" is a budget surplus and robust economy, then Kansans are wishing their state could go into bankruptcy.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Blue states are doing so well that there's been a dramatic role reversal between the parties on the topic of free trade. Republicans -- who tend to be fearful of innovation, in my ample and deep personal experience -- are now fearful of free trade.

The productive parts of our economy are dominated by Democrats and Democratic cities. I mean, it's total domination. Using our giant brains, we're wiping the floor with Republicans without even having to get up out of our Aeron chairs! We've built robots, reusable rockets, electric self-driving cars, powerful artificial intellects, and microelectronics that are the pinnacle of human technical achievement. We're manipulating individual atoms over here and reaping mega-$$$ while Republicans argue over oil pipelines and the two dozen $10/hr jobs they might create in the long run.

Evolve or die. Evolution don't care whether you believe in it or not ;)
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Which explains our supermajority. Thank you Zack Morris.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

A post praising capitalism will only help the capitalist party. Thank you for your efforts, I mean it.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Last I checked, Gov.Brown's people were warning that one shouldn't get too excited about California's finances. The bounce back is predicated on the top 1% paying the majority of taxes; that tax base rests mainly on a strong market. If the markets face even a mild recession, California is back to being a dumpster fire; Which is why Gov. Brown has struggled to cut down or veto programs to prepare the state for the next downturn. And no, his rainy day fund would not cover the costs.

More than anything, California needs a reformation of its tax code and its water-rights/property issues.

Given how the state is run and who runs the state, I am sure nothing will be done about this.