Immigration debate in the USA

Simple Minded

Re: Immigration debate in the USA

Post by Simple Minded »

Zack Morris wrote:
Simple Minded wrote: Yep,note all the open borders advocates at OTNOT who have not posted pictures of the refugees they have chosen to quarter in their own houses.
Interestingly, I do know some people who have volunteered to host refugees. They are hardcore liberals :) I don't know any conservatives who do nice things for people (no, church functions and proselytizing do not count). I know many who are enraged to know that a minuscule, insignificant portion of their tax dollars are being spent on school lunches for needy children.
:lol: That's what makes blogging so much fun. I wonder if I spent a year rubbing shoulders with your hardcore liberal friends, whether I would consider them to be mostly liberal or mostly conservative.

Would my observations of them agree with their self-image?
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Doc wrote:
Zack Morris wrote:
Simple Minded wrote: Yep,note all the open borders advocates at OTNOT who have not posted pictures of the refugees they have chosen to quarter in their own houses.
Interestingly, I do know some people who have volunteered to host refugees. They are hardcore liberals :) I don't know any conservatives who do nice things for people (no, church functions and proselytizing do not count). I know many who are enraged to know that a minuscule, insignificant portion of their tax dollars are being spent on school lunches for needy children.
So you don't know any conservative Christians. Why does that not surprise me?
That's not necessarily true. You don't know how Zack defines either of those terms. "We" need more definitions!
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote:
Doc wrote:
Zack Morris wrote:
So you don't know any conservative Christians. Why does that not surprise me?
That's not necessarily true. You don't know how Zack defines either of those terms. "We" need more definitions!
This is how I believe Zack defines "Conservative Christian":

Conservative Christians. -- Sub human Cannibalistic tribes in the fly over regions that will never amount to anything, and hence stick to their guns and religion.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

I have just returned from another trip to the Big Smoke. There are some signs of spring and the panhandlers are back in force on the streets. About a year-and-a-half ago I gave a first hand account of some of my impressions of how life in Vancouver continues to deteriorate. There's probably no particular need to repeat and underscore those observations.

Another city I'm well familiar with is Portland, Oregon. It faces the same sort of problems:

Portland's trouble with homelessness
- Michael J. Totten, Brian C. Anderson, City Journal, 2 March 2017
https://www.city-journal.org/html/portl ... 15039.html

Just about everyone who discusses this topic brings up the fact that most facilities that deal with those who have mental health problems have closed, and that is one of the biggest reasons we see so many people on the street.

This is undoubtedly true, however, these institutions closed in the seventies and eighties, yet there was basically no homeless problem in cities like Vancouver and Portland for at least two decades after that.

That leads me to believe that analysts are leaving out something important, namely the skyrocketing cost of accommodation. And this is driven by gentrification and immigration.

It's why I feel that people claim that immigration has no down side must have some hidden agenda. Immigration, especially illegal and uncontrolled immigration, brings many negative consequences, including depressed wages and ever higher rents.

While in Vancouver I usually manage to pick up the free tabloid called Metro.

This paper is rabidly anti-Trump, as are almost all the media in this province. Here is a story from just after he was elected:

Vancouver needs to prepare itself for Trump refugees - Trish Kelly, Metro, 15 November 2016
http://www.metronews.ca/views/vancouver ... ouver.html

Many of us feel depressed, despondent or hopeless. As an urbanite who works my butt off for soical justice, I think it's important to remember that those cities didn't vote for Trump.

I sincerely doubt wheter Trish Kelly has ever worked her butt off. She's a twenty-something year old journalist. I bet she eats, but I also bet she wouldn't last two hours working on a farm.

She claims we should open up the border to the two to three million illegal aliens (mostly criminals) that Trump might expel from the U.S. She probably lives in a gated community, so she won't care about the increase in crime in Canada (with a marked increase in gun violence over the last few months-- despite gun control). Nor does she care about the over 2000 homeless people in Vancouver, who will, along with tens of thousands of others who can already barely afford the rent, now be competing with all these poor criminals that she wants to invite to Canada.

Metro International

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_International
Metro International is a Swedish media company based in Luxembourg that publishes the Metro newspapers. Metro International's advertising sales have grown at a compound annual growth rate of 41 percent since launch of the first newspaper edition in 1995.[1] It is a freesheet, meaning that distribution is free, with revenues thus generated entirely through advertising. This newspaper is primarily intended for commuters who move daily in and out of big cities' business areas, mainly during rush hours.

The company was founded by Per Andersson and started as a subsidiary of the Modern Times Group along with Viasat Broadcasting. It is now controlled through investment company Kinnevik. The first edition of the newspaper was published as Metro Stockholm and distributed in the Stockholm metro. As of 2012, all European editions (except for the Hungarian one) have been sold, reportedly so that Metro International can focus on Latin America, considered the last growth market for free newspapers.[2][3]

So this company, like other media giants, isn't really interested in social justice at all, or even in news, much less facts, no matter how you might define them.

Above all, they are interested in making in making money.

Note that they are based in Luxembourg where they pay NO taxes.
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

This author attempts to explains the Brave New World that elites envision for the world of the future:

The disrupters - Gregory Ferenstein, City Journal, Winter 2017
https://www.city-journal.org/html/disrupters-14950.html

Silicon Valley elites’ vision of the future

... But what is government’s role as it concerns those who can’t be entrepreneurs? As the Valley elite see it, it’s to tax the wealthy—and give everyone else lots of cash. A number of Silicon Valley luminaries, including Facebook cofounder Chris Hughes, have begun investigating the possibility of a government-provided universal basic income. A no-strings-attached mass cash transfer will ensure that no matter what happens in the future, everyone will have a reasonable income. Y Combinator is investing millions of its own charitable dollars in a first-of-its-kind universal basic-income experiment to see how poor residents in Oakland respond to an unconditional cash transfer. "I think one of the reasons that inequality feels so unfair is that there are people really truly suffering," said Y Combinator president Sam Altman, explaining why he supports the basic income. "People have some innate sense of what is absolutely fair: health care, enough to eat, a place to eat, things like that. If you can do that, and then give people equality of opportunity on the upside. I hope that will feel fair to people."

In other words, Altman says, we shouldn’t try to regulate our way to stopping the inevitable rise of inequality but instead raise the quality of life for everyone. Basic income, he believes, will allow many more people to contribute something unique to the world. "I think there are new novelists who are right now driving for Uber who could contribute more to the sum output of humanity; there are great artists, there are people who just have new ideas about how to build communities that make people happy, that have nothing to do with tech or start-ups at all but are currently not able to do what they want to do," he said.

How would such a massive new entitlement be paid for? Altman hasn’t calculated the costs, but it comes down to more taxes—taxes paid largely by the super-successful, like the innovators in Silicon Valley. "You give this money to a lot of people," he says. "Most fail at whatever they do, and some are these wild outlier successes. And if you can enable a lot of people to take a swing, most will fail and some will generate incredible economic value. And, tax the genuflect out of that and do more basic income." Thus, the government serves an essential purpose in not only helping people become "wild outliers" but ensuring that such success gets more widely shared throughout society.

Over the last few decades, technology leaders and entrepreneurs have emerged as some of the most prominent figures in American life, and Silicon Valley has become a byword for innovation, brilliance, and futuristic thinking. But while millions of Americans know the most famous names and the most prominent companies, and we all use the products, the broad philosophy and long-term economic vision of Silicon Valley remain little understood. As tech leaders move to the forefront of economic and public policy, Americans should understand better how they think—especially since their goals and conclusions tend to separate them from earlier generations of business leaders. In many respects, their vision represents something new. Whether it is something that Americans as a whole will embrace and support remains to be seen.

UBI (Universal basic income) has been in the news a lot over the last couple of years. About six months ago The Economist ran an opinion page in which their editors came out against the idea. Most of the the usual warnings were issued including some inevitable remarks about diminishing incentives to work. One argument that stood out for me, though, was that their editors, who strongly support "the free flow of people" through immigration, was that governments would be under pressure to turn them away from liberal immigration policies as more and more resources were needed to channel towards UBI for those already here, a tacit admission that immigration does indeed have a negative impact on those nearer the bottom of developed economies and that there is indeed something close to a zero-sum equation at play here.

There have been a number of experiments with the UBI concept, including programs in Manitoba (quite a few years ago), Namibia (more recently), and now Finland. A pilot project is planned for Ontario and one town in Brazil has already taken action:

Brazilian town embraces universal income experiment - Louis Genot, Yahoo! News, 14 February 2017
https://www.yahoo.com/news/brazilian-to ... 16533.html

Inconclusively tried around the world for decades, the experiment is currently getting a high-profile rollout in Finland. The left-wing French presidential candidate Benoit Hamon, backed by the star economist Thomas Piketty, has also made the basic income part of his platform.

However, if Finland is handing out payments of about $590 a month -- and only to a test group of unemployed people for now -- the amount in Marica is a measly 10 reais, or about $3.20. The new mayor hopes to raise the amount to $32 in 2017.

Only the town's 14,000 poorest families are currently being given the income, which is denominated in Mumbucas, a virtual currency created to pay welfare under Quaqua three years ago.

The 10 reais is added to the 85 reais ($27) monthly welfare check for families whose income doesn't top three times the minimum wage. The extra money is also given to poorer people aged between 14 and 29 and pregnant women already receiving other benefits.

There's another limitation: only 131 local businesses -- less than 10 percent of the total -- accept payment in Mumbucas, the mayor's office says.

The currency, which physically exists only on specially issued red magnetic cards, is unpopular with business owners because they must wait more than a month after purchases are completed for the government to convert payments into reals.

Well, I guess everyone would agree that the amount is pretty pathetic, even in Brazil. What would UBI really buy anywhere that was serious about implementing it?

Interestingly, the most recent issue of The Economist devotes two articles to Brazil's pension crisis. The claim is made that the country was over-generous and can no longer afford early retirement and benefits as large as what are presently allocated.

Stephen Harper's Conservative government raised the age of retirement in Canada to 67, but the new Liberal government re-established age 65 as retirement age in this country as promised by Justin Trudeau. Yet now the Liberal's own economic advisors recommend raising retirement age back to 67, and better yet, increasing it to 70.

So how does this square with UBI? Do we need more workers to support those who are not working or, as Silicon Valley's brave new thinkers tell us, will robots to everything for us? If so, why do we need immigrants? Only those who might join the Eloi? Or more Morlocks too?
Last edited by Apollonius on Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

Finally, here are some personal thoughts about work and human nature.

After years of revolution and war in Haiti things started to settle down somewhat. The slaves were free. They chose to abandon the sugar cane fields, clear a spot in the jungle and start their own subsistence-level farms. In no time the forest was gone, the soils depleted, water supplies compromised, and the country was broke. The temporarily free population was ordered back on the plantations to provide income to support the failing economy of the country.

It's a scenario played out in many ways in many different lands, a sort of tragedy of the commons, where what's good for individuals, or at least what individuals think is good for them, turns out to be a disaster for the collective.

My feeling is that most women today, despite all the many advances we've made in providing alternatives, still mostly just want to have kids and raise a family. If UBI is generous enough to support this lifestyle, they will mostly opt out of the work force. Men might not be too different. Most won't work at demanding, time-consuming, dangerous, or dirty jobs if UBI gives them the chance to stay at home.

And will they be happy? Of course I'm really old fashioned, so you don't have to listen to me. But I think, probably not. It's kind of like that old Twilight Zone episode where the fellow who thinks that his every wish being fulfilled turns out to be hell instead of heaven.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

In the long run, robots will do everything, which will empower creative people. And creativity does not flourish in closed societies. So we will have both robots and immigrants. A win-win for everyone.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Apollonius wrote:I have just returned from another trip to the Big Smoke. There are some signs of spring and the panhandlers are back in force on the streets. About a year-and-a-half ago I gave a first hand account of some of my impressions of how life in Vancouver continues to deteriorate. There's probably no particular need to repeat and underscore those observations.

Another city I'm well familiar with is Portland, Oregon. It faces the same sort of problems:

Portland's trouble with homelessness
- Michael J. Totten, Brian C. Anderson, City Journal, 2 March 2017
https://www.city-journal.org/html/portl ... 15039.html

Just about everyone who discusses this topic brings up the fact that most facilities that deal with those who have mental health problems have closed, and that is one of the biggest reasons we see so many people on the street.

This is undoubtedly true, however, these institutions closed in the seventies and eighties, yet there was basically no homeless problem in cities like Vancouver and Portland for at least two decades after that.

That leads me to believe that analysts are leaving out something important, namely the skyrocketing cost of accommodation. And this is driven by gentrification and immigration.

It's why I feel that people claim that immigration has no down side must have some hidden agenda. Immigration, especially illegal and uncontrolled immigration, brings many negative consequences, including depressed wages and ever higher rents.

While in Vancouver I usually manage to pick up the free tabloid called Metro.

This paper is rabidly anti-Trump, as are almost all the media in this province. Here is a story from just after he was elected:

Vancouver needs to prepare itself for Trump refugees - Trish Kelly, Metro, 15 November 2016
http://www.metronews.ca/views/vancouver ... ouver.html

Many of us feel depressed, despondent or hopeless. As an urbanite who works my butt off for soical justice, I think it's important to remember that those cities didn't vote for Trump.

I sincerely doubt wheter Trish Kelly has ever worked her butt off. She's a twenty-something year old journalist. I bet she eats, but I also bet she wouldn't last two hours working on a farm.

She claims we should open up the border to the two to three million illegal aliens (mostly criminals) that Trump might expel from the U.S. She probably lives in a gated community, so she won't care about the increase in crime in Canada (with a marked increase in gun violence over the last few months-- despite gun control). Nor does she care about the over 2000 homeless people in Vancouver, who will, along with tens of thousands of others who can already barely afford the rent, now be competing with all these poor criminals that she wants to invite to Canada.

Metro International

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_International
Metro International is a Swedish media company based in Luxembourg that publishes the Metro newspapers. Metro International's advertising sales have grown at a compound annual growth rate of 41 percent since launch of the first newspaper edition in 1995.[1] It is a freesheet, meaning that distribution is free, with revenues thus generated entirely through advertising. This newspaper is primarily intended for commuters who move daily in and out of big cities' business areas, mainly during rush hours.

The company was founded by Per Andersson and started as a subsidiary of the Modern Times Group along with Viasat Broadcasting. It is now controlled through investment company Kinnevik. The first edition of the newspaper was published as Metro Stockholm and distributed in the Stockholm metro. As of 2012, all European editions (except for the Hungarian one) have been sold, reportedly so that Metro International can focus on Latin America, considered the last growth market for free newspapers.[2][3]

So this company, like other media giants, isn't really interested in social justice at all, or even in news, much less facts, no matter how you might define them.

Above all, they are interested in making in making money.

Note that they are based in Luxembourg where they pay NO taxes.
Excellent post as always, Apollonius. If Vancouver (I'm playing the multitudes of people only have a single monolithic opinion game here) wants to remain true to her or Trudeau's ideals, the only option is to let them all in. I think HP lives there, he will probably accept a couple dozen refugees fleeing Trumpism (even though he voted for him) into his house.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Apollonius wrote:
UBI (Universal basic income) has been in the news a lot over the last couple of years. About six months ago The Economist ran an opinion page in which their editors came out against the idea. Most of the the usual warnings were issued including some inevitable remarks about diminishing incentives to work. One argument that stood out for me, though, was that their editors, who strongly support "the free flow of people" through immigration, was that governments would be under pressure to turn them away from liberal immigration policies as more and more resources were needed to channel towards UBI for those already here, a tacit admission that immigration does indeed have a negative impact on those nearer the bottom of developed economies and that there is indeed something close to a zero-sum equation at play here.
Amen again Brother. A single house hold as a microcosm for the nation state works well, IMSMO. Note the OTNOTer's who advocate open borders still have not posted pictures of the refugees they have taken into their own households and voluntarily elected to feed, clothe, educate, for years in order for them to escape their plight and assimilate.

It's the old Altruistic bromide over, and over again: "Someone else can always do more!" Sayeth the enlightened ones.
Yet, when you ask them why they are not doing more, they get upset. "Haven't you read my blogs?"

No shortage of virtual Mother Teresa's out there.
Last edited by Simple Minded on Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Simple Minded wrote:
Zack Morris wrote:
:lol: That's what makes blogging so much fun. I wonder if I spent a year rubbing shoulders with your hardcore liberal friends, whether I would consider them to be mostly liberal or mostly conservative.

You'd find them to be wonderful, warm, interesting and erudite people and would never be able to return to your old life.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Zack Morris wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:
Zack Morris wrote:

You'd find them to be wonderful, warm, interesting and erudite people and would never be able to return to your old life.

Nah they would just denounce him as a Nazi and that would be it. The funny thing I fond about liberals among my relatives they can never stop talking about politics and they always do it in such a way that they won't avoid the argument. My conservitive relatives on the other hand won't rather live thier lives and forget about the politics until election day
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Zack Morris wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:
Zack Morris wrote:

:lol: and probably not even to the life you imagine I live! :D

They sound like closet conservatives to me...... ;) I wonder if they would like me more than you? :o
Last edited by Simple Minded on Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Doc wrote:
Zack Morris wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:
Zack Morris wrote:

Nah they would just denounce him as a Nazi and that would be it. The funny thing I fond about liberals among my relatives they can never stop talking about politics and they always do it in such a way that they won't avoid the argument. My conservitive relatives on the other hand won't rather live thier lives and forget about the politics until election day
Sounds like a Thanksgiving get together we had about 25 years ago.

The NYC "Liberal" Social Workers looked down on their clients (and all of humanity for that matter) but knew that keeping them down was the key to their income. At one point I asked them "if a panhandler comes up to you on the streets of NYC and asks for money, do you give them any?" Instantaneous, synchronous answer: "NO!"

The native Upstate New Yorker's & the native Chicagoan recognized the NYC disease and hypocrisy in their friends/relatives. We exchanged discreet glances and smiled a lot more than the NYCers did as they told of their Ultimate Solution.

Great fun. The woman who gave birth to several of the attendees sat in the corner taking it all in. The look in her eyes was priceless.

gotta love diversity!
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Apollonius wrote:Finally, here are some personal thoughts about work and human nature.

After years of revolution and war in Haiti things started to settle down somewhat. The slaves were free. They chose to abandon the sugar cane fields, clear a spot in the jungle and start their own subsistence-level farms. In no time the forest was gone, the soils depleted, water supplies compromised, and the country was broke. The temporarily free population was ordered back on the plantations to provide income to support the failing economy of the country.

It's a scenario played out in many ways in many different lands, a sort of tragedy of the commons, where what's good for individuals, or at least what individuals think is good for them, turns out to be a disaster for the collective.

My feeling is that most women today, despite all the many advances we've made in providing alternatives, still mostly just want to have kids and raise a family. If UBI is generous enough to support this lifestyle, they will mostly opt out of the work force. Men might not be too different. Most won't work at demanding, time-consuming, dangerous, or dirty jobs if UBI gives them the chance to stay at home.

And will they be happy? Of course I'm really old fashioned, so you don't have to listen to me. But I think, probably not. It's kind of like that old Twilight Zone episode where the fellow who thinks that his every wish being fulfilled turns out to be hell instead of heaven.
My observation is that people need challenges and obstacles to overcome. It seems part of our nature. Kids playing in sandboxes and building stuff as anecdotes.

Which in IMSMO, is the tough part of helping people. Relieve or reduce their pain a bit too much, and many will lose motivation and interest in bettering their lives. The balance point between too difficult and too easy can only be known on a person by person basis.

The author of Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, IIRC John Gray(?) postulated that males got the feel good brain chemicals from solving problems while females got the feel good brain chemicals from nurturing. If my brain chemicals were better balanced I could remember the chemicals. ;)
Heracleum Persicum

Hawaii
to file first lawsuit against new travel ban

"The discrimination and the anti-Muslim bias is still there and that's evident by statements President Trump and officials from his administration have had made."

Is against US constitution to discriminate based on religion.

Other States might file suit too

If a federal Judge puts this one too on hold .. if so .. this will end up in supreme court .. it should .. supreme court should decide whether freedom of religion still valid, and, whether discrimination based on religion unconstitutional. :lol:

Trump took oath on Bible to uphold constitution, discrimination based on religion is braking that oath .. could be enough for impeachment.

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Lol. No.
Censorship isn't necessary
Heracleum Persicum

Mr. Perfect wrote:Lol. No.

Not against constitution to discriminate based on religion ?

You might have a valid case, in "NEW" America, seems, it ain't.

Well, W.Bush throw most pages of constitution into toilet and flushed .. Trump throws the rest.

Look, this Bannan crazy, he thinkin he foolin "Federal, Supreme court judges" :lol:

Come on .. things "not yet" rigged enough .. need a few yrs to replace retiring good American judges with crazy Weirdo ones

Bannan gotto go (Donald should take him with himself).

Amen

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Nothing you said is real.
Censorship isn't necessary
Heracleum Persicum

Doc

Post by Doc »

"Obama" causes illegal immigration to drop 40%

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... month.html
Illegal border crossings drop 40 PER CENT in Trump's first full month as president: Homeland Security says it's the lowest total in nearly five years
Doc

Post by Doc »

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/are-u-s-job ... d=35629276
Are U.S. jobs vulnerable to workers with H-1B visas?

60 Minutes investigates how some businesses have fired American workers and replaced them with cheaper labor: temporary, foreign workers with H-1B visas