Global Trends: Paradox of Progress

Nonc Hilaire

Global Trends: Paradox of Progress

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Public release of DNI whitepaper on the near future. It will take a bit of study before commenting.

https://www.dni.gov/index.php/global-trends-home
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Re: Global Trends: Paradox of Progress

Post by Doc »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Public release of DNI whitepaper on the near future. It will take a bit of study before commenting.

The Future Summarized

We are living a paradox: The achievements of the industrial and information ages are shaping a world to come that is both more dangerous and richer with opportunity than ever before. Whether promise or peril prevails will turn on the choices of humankind.

The progress of the past decades is historic—connecting people, empowering individuals, groups, and states, and lifting a billion people out of poverty in the process. But this same progress also spawned shocks like the Arab Spring, the 2008 Global Financial Crisis, and the global rise of populist, anti-establishment politics. These shocks reveal how fragile the achievements have been, underscoring deep shifts in the global landscape that portend a dark and difficult near future.
According to Richard Dawkins Humans stopped physically evolving 25,000 years ago. That today humans evolve socially instead. Evolution works to some degree by diverse separate ecologies that evolve on their own. Have their own versions of ecological niches filled by diverse flora. It seems to me that the very fact of our increasing lack of social diversity is what tends to make the world less stable. Goldman's dying cultures being another symptom of this. It also explains why Europeans gladly invite unlimited immigration by people that largely despite their culture and heritage Its a race to the bottom

IP0wuwJBdMI
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:Public release of DNI whitepaper on the near future. It will take a bit of study before commenting.

The Future Summarized

We are living a paradox: The achievements of the industrial and information ages are shaping a world to come that is both more dangerous and richer with opportunity than ever before. Whether promise or peril prevails will turn on the choices of humankind.

The progress of the past decades is historic—connecting people, empowering individuals, groups, and states, and lifting a billion people out of poverty in the process. But this same progress also spawned shocks like the Arab Spring, the 2008 Global Financial Crisis, and the global rise of populist, anti-establishment politics. These shocks reveal how fragile the achievements have been, underscoring deep shifts in the global landscape that portend a dark and difficult near future.
According to Richard Dawkins Humans stopped physically evolving 25,000 years ago. That today humans evolve socially instead.
If that is indeed what Dawkins stated, then he wrong: http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/05/ ... -it-happen
Doc wrote:Evolution works to some degree by diverse separate ecologies that evolve on their own. Have their own versions of ecological niches filled by diverse flora. It seems to me that the very fact of our increasing lack of social diversity is what tends to make the world less stable. Goldman's dying cultures being another symptom of this.
This is confounding evolution with culture. What relationship exists between the two is not yet understood.
Doc wrote:It also explains why Europeans gladly invite unlimited immigration by people that largely despite their culture and heritage Its a race to the bottom
Explains bupkes.
Doc wrote: IP0wuwJBdMI
KZazEM8cgt0

Mainstream music today is just another commodity product for mass consumption.

zgVUei2853A

This is a bit dated. Youtube changed this.

Today one can still find good new music being created. One only has to dig deeper.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Typhoon wrote: If that is indeed what Dawkins stated, then he wrong: http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/05/ ... -it-happen
FYI there was nothing in that article of one species changing into another species.
Censorship isn't necessary
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:

The Future Summarized

According to Richard Dawkins Humans stopped physically evolving 25,000 years ago. That today humans evolve socially instead.
If that is indeed what Dawkins stated, then he wrong: http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/05/ ... -it-happen
Humans are still evolving—and we can watch it happen
Certainly I can think of specific examples just looking at political discourse :D
Doc wrote:Evolution works to some degree by diverse separate ecologies that evolve on their own. Have their own versions of ecological niches filled by diverse flora. It seems to me that the very fact of our increasing lack of social diversity is what tends to make the world less stable. Goldman's dying cultures being another symptom of this.
This is confounding evolution with culture. What relationship exists between the two is not yet understood.
Nature VS nurture perhaps?
Doc wrote:It also explains why Europeans gladly invite unlimited immigration by people that largely despite their culture and heritage Its a race to the bottom
Explains bupkes.

Doc wrote: IP0wuwJBdMI
KZazEM8cgt0

Mainstream music today is just another commodity product for mass consumption.

zgVUei2853A

This is a bit dated. Youtube changed this.

Today one can still find good new music being created. One only has to dig deeper.
Digging deeper hard to see the same quality today from years passed What is there is drown out in the din of Popular "culture"

hRguZr0xCOc :D

lyLUIXWnrC0
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Typhoon wrote: If that is indeed what Dawkins stated, then he wrong: http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/05/ ... -it-happen
FYI there was nothing in that article of one species changing into another species.
So?
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

one minute arguing the modern urban democrat has evolved into a parasitic slimemold, next minute, denying evolution.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:one minute arguing the modern urban democrat has evolved into a parasitic slimemold, next minute, denying evolution.
Intellectualism is the practice of the never ending parsing of words ya know....
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote:
noddy wrote:one minute arguing the modern urban democrat has evolved into a parasitic slimemold, next minute, denying evolution.
Intellectualism is the practice of the never ending parsing of words ya know....
How about parsing actions you know as a global trend?

AS in "Don't grab my penis"

o7BKG23XV14
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Doc wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:
How about parsing actions you know as a global trend?

AS in "Don't grab my penis"

o7BKG23XV14
Imagine the number of lawsuits she will be involved in...... I can't either.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Doc wrote:hRguZr0xCOc
Thanks for posting this. The last time I've seen or heard this video was in the late eighties at First Avenue. This, and some of the other 1979 videos had a distorted, strident and harsh audio mixdown that never...... NEVER made it on album or on radio play. <<husky, deathrattle whisper.....>> .....It's been...... thirty years....... XD.......
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:.
. . .

Digging deeper hard to see the same quality today from years passed What is there is drown out in the din of Popular "culture"

The standard logical fallacy of sampling bias.

DEVO never acquired mainstream pop culture popularity.

If one looks at the US Billboard 100 chart of 1978, bland disco dominates.

However, change was in the air. Once again lead by bands based in the UK. No surprise.

4vHvzybkqfo

On the other side of the Pond notable exceptions were bands honing their art at CBGBs in NY:

Blondie

Talking Heads

The Ramones

Mink DeVille

along with performers such as

The B-52s

Prince

Meatloaf

Bruce Springsteen, who went on to massive mainstream pop culture success

Etc.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:.
. . .

The standard logical fallacy of sampling bias.

DEVO never acquired mainstream pop culture popularity.
Some pretty fuzzy words CS They were immensely popular with late teams and 20 somethings in their time. Mick Jagger said their rendition of "Satisfaction" was the best he had ever heard.

jadvt7CbH1o
If one looks at the US Billboard 100 chart of 1978, bland disco dominates.
Devo as I recall were more of an 80's band.
However, change was in the air. Once again lead by bands based in the UK. No surprise.

Then you have to include the Eurythmics in your list below. I knew a woman back then The friend of a good friend's girl friend that was similar in looks and personallity to Annie Lennox. Right down to the short hair and wigs. She was kind of psycho at times, but other times we had a lot of fun. And dang could she sing

o6f593X6rv8
-5iDKWV6Chg
TzFnYcIqj6I
qeMFqkcPYcg

5iDKWV6Chg

On the other side of the Pond notable exceptions were bands honing their art at CBGBs in NY:

Blondie

Talking Heads

The Ramones

Mink DeVille

along with performers such as

The B-52s

Prince

Meatloaf

Bruce Springsteen, who went on to massive mainstream pop culture success

Etc.
Beastie Boys The Cars The bangles etc etc
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Yes, I would definitely include the Eurythmics.

Sweet Dreams was being given constant air play when I first arrived in the US.

I've always considered their song and video Don't Ask My Why one of the best products of 20th century pop culture.

Anyways, this is straying a bit far from current "Global Trends: Paradox of Progress"