Trump invades Syria

Nonc Hilaire

Trump invades Syria

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Boots are on the ground.

No coalition, no congressional declaration of war, no invitation by the legitimate government. Completely illegal.

http://taskandpurpose.com/us-military-j ... ade-syria/
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Nonc Hilaire

Assad interview March 11, 2017

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

"President al-Assad to Chinese Phoenix TV: any foreign troops coming to Syria without permission are invaders"

http://sana.sy/en/?p=101799
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
YMix

Re: Trump invades Syria

Post by YMix »

U.S. Marines are, for the first time, deploying to Syria (with more to come). There’s talk of an “enduring” U.S. military presence in Iraq, while additional U.S. troops are being dispatched to neighboring Kuwait with an eye to the wars in both Iraq and Syria. Yemen has been battered by a veritable blitz of drone strikes and other air attacks. Afghanistan seems to be in line for an increase in American forces. The new president has just restored to the CIA the power to use drones to strike more or less anywhere on the “world battlefield,” recently a Pentagon prerogative, and is evidently easing restrictions on the Pentagon’s use of drones as well. U.S. military commanders are slated to get more leeway to make decisions locally and the very definition of what qualifies as a “battlefield” looks like it’s about to change (which will mean even less attention to “collateral damage” or civilian casualties). President Trump may soon designate various areas outside more or less official American war zones — since the U.S. Congress no longer declares war, they can’t truly be official — as “temporary areas of active hostility.” That will grant U.S. commanders greater leeway in launching attacks on terror groups in places like Somalia. In fact, this already seems to have happened in Yemen, according to the New York Times, opening the way for a disastrous Special Operations Forces raid there that caused the death of a Navy SEAL and possibly nine Yemeni children (the youngest three months old), while evidently accomplishing next to nothing.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Link?
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
YMix

Post by YMix »

“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Obama and Putin already vanquished the JV team. Not sure there's anything left to fight.
Doc

Trump enforces Obama's red line

Post by Doc »

How many thousands of people died because Obama didn't?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/live-update ... e-strikes/
By Kathryn Watson CBS News April 6, 2017, 10:23 PM
Trump says "Assad choked out the lives of helpless men, women and children"

U.S. President Donald Trump holds a rally at the Kentucky Exposition Center in Louisville, Kentucky, U.S. March 20, 2017.
REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

Last Updated Apr 6, 2017 10:26 PM EDT

President Donald Trump Thursday night said there is “no dispute” that Bashar al-Assad’s regime is Syria was behind the use of “banned chemical weapons” that killed dozens of Syrian civilians earlier this week, speaking moments after the U.S. launched an air strike on Syria’s Shayrat airfield, where Mr. Trump said the deadly attack originated.

“Using a deadly nerve agent, Assad choked out the lives of helpless men, women and children,” Mr. Trump said.

“No child of God should ever suffer such horror,” Mr. Trump continued.

Mr. Trump said the Syrian refugee crisis “continues to deepen” as the region “continues to destabilize,” threatening the security of the U.S. and her allies. Mr. Trump made the statements from his Mar-a-Lago club in Florida, shortly after the United Nations Security Council canceled a vote on any intervention in Syria after the chemical attack. The strike involved nearly 60 cruise missiles, which are GPS-guided and are very precise.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Re: Trump enforces Obama's red line

Post by Typhoon »

No x-posting with that other forum, please.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

choosing between the sarin gas using dicktater and isis has to be one of the least moral high grounds in a long time.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

well as for a positive, reading between the lines, it seems as if the Russians and US had some sort of understanding (however precarious) before the US obliterated those targets. All the "you've been naughty" post-bombing chatter sounds like rehearsed diplospeak between the two.

What sounds more serious is Syrian threats to launch missiles at Israel if it happens again- how much of that is macho posturing?

Anyway

Assad appears to have really screwed the pooch on this one. He had a lucky out during the last chemical attack-- beyond it being unclear who was doing what then-- when President Obama involved himself and then froze at his red line, then the Russians stepped in and promised to take away all the toys for a cooling down period.

I thought the understanding was "no more chemical weapons, everyone looks the other way and you get to win...."

...but someone couldn't leave well enough alone.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Looks like the dividing up of Syria in regions of control has begun.
Deep down I'm very superficial
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Parodite wrote:Looks like the dividing up of Syria in regions of control has begun.
looks like it
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Serious error by Trump.

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Re: Trump enforces Obama's red line

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:No x-posting with that other forum, please.
I will say this one time. I am sick and tired of the this forum / other forum BS. AS you used to be one of the moderators at the other forum I am sure you are aware that there was a problem in the old forum with people having access to the moderation control panel that were not suppose to have it. That caused a lot of problems Including the one that originally created the forum that became this one. the person that made it basically built it by convincing a lot of people that he was a victim when he was actually a predator that was abusing his former status as a moderator.. In a fit of fake outrage. That however should be all water under the bridge at this point.

There is what all of 10 regular posters here? The same with davosman That name BTW I made up. Maybe not the greatest name but just something to give it a theme.

The interest thing about your case CS is that the offender that attacked you on Spengler left Spengler to go just like you to the original of this forum -- King Fred of bowling fame. These forums should be complimentary Hence I decided to cross post. I was going to do it in both directions with the idea that people should get over their hurt butts. As BB forums are about the only way left to type out long thoughts I would not like their going away. Twitter is great for one liners and memes. Facebook is good for group think. We are in the midst of a communications revolution they people seem to talk across line less and less.

But as you wish.

Oh BTW Trump did not "Invade" Syria He attacked it.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

BTW Trump did not "Invade" Syria He attacked it.
Marines landed a couple weeks ago. Boots are on the ground.

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Post by Doc »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
BTW Trump did not "Invade" Syria He attacked it.
Marines landed a couple weeks ago. Boots are on the ground.
Right

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/31/politics/ ... yria-iraq/

What US Special Forces are doing on the ground in Syria and Iraq

By Peter Bergen, CNN National Security Analyst

Updated 2:45 PM ET, Mon October 31, 2016
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Re-read the OP, Doc. That was March '17, 5 months later and under Trump

Your Obama era October '16 CNN report about the US hiring and training mercenaries has continued to progress under Trump. Trump has abandoned his public "US first/hands off Syria" position and has aligned with the PNAC/Deep State agenda.

Trump has sold out in under 100 days.

Teresa of Ávila
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Serious error by Trump.
You may be delighted to see that there already is serious opposition in the US to the President's military intervention in Syria.

Check e.g. this principled opponent
Doc

Post by Doc »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Re-read the OP, Doc. That was March '17, 5 months later and under Trump

Your Obama era October '16 CNN report about the US hiring and training mercenaries has continued to progress under Trump. Trump has abandoned his public "US first/hands off Syria" position and has aligned with the PNAC/Deep State agenda.

Trump has sold out in under 100 days.
Nope Trump said he was going to destroy ISIS well before the election. That is what the marines are there for. Shooting 59 missiles is not an invasion it is an attack
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

The Khan Sheikhoun Chemical Attack, The Evidence So Far [bellingcat]

Interesting speculations in the comments section. I think it doesn't really matter who did the chemical attack, if it was an accident, who would benefit etc. What matters is how the US and Russia go on after this. I would bet they just continue as before. Russia seems to have been ok with the attack; they were informed in advance and didn't resist by making a counter threat to the US. The US wants Assad gone, but all still agree ISIS needs to be defeated first. Business continues.

Trump achieved something important: he proved unpredictable when it comes to military action; the "mad dog" deterrent. Maybe it bites... maybe it won't. But it does bite... occasionally, and without much warning. Same tactic used by Israel against Hamas. This bite however was really light and small. But it signals the US can bite again.. and much harder which is common knowledge. Trump is willing to bite and wants everybody to know; especially China and N-Korea will have noticed.

All seems like a continuation of Trumps magic: don't try to predict what will happen when dada-Donald is steamrolling. Unpredictability is his biggest weapon.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Parodite wrote:The Khan Sheikhoun Chemical Attack, The Evidence So Far [bellingcat]

Interesting speculations in the comments section. I think it doesn't really matter who did the chemical attack, if it was an accident, who would benefit etc. What matters is how the US and Russia go on after this. I would bet they just continue as before. Russia seems to have been ok with the attack; they were informed in advance and didn't resist by making a counter threat to the US. The US wants Assad gone, but all still agree ISIS needs to be defeated first. Business continues.

Trump achieved something important: he proved unpredictable when it comes to military action; the "mad dog" deterrent. Maybe it bites... maybe it won't. But it does bite... occasionally, and without much warning. Same tactic used by Israel against Hamas. This bite however was really light and small. But it signals the US can bite again.. and much harder which is common knowledge. Trump is willing to bite and wants everybody to know; especially China and N-Korea will have noticed.

All seems like a continuation of Trumps magic: don't try to predict what will happen when dada-Donald is steamrolling. Unpredictability is his biggest weapon.
Good point.

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Parodite wrote:The Khan Sheikhoun Chemical Attack, The Evidence So Far [bellingcat]

Well said. Many less powerful nations and leaders have used unpredictability to punch above their weight. Unpredictability is a superior weapon in itself. Unpredictability, tied together with actual destructive power, must be considered by those with plans.
Alexis

At war, the rabbits fight back

Post by Alexis »

Good point indeed.

However, war - even if behind the curtain - has this unwelcome specificity compared to hunting that rabbits do fight back.

Parodite wrote:What matters is how the US and Russia go on after this. I would bet they just continue as before. Russia seems to have been ok with the attack; they were informed in advance and didn't resist by making a counter threat to the US. The US wants Assad gone, but all still agree ISIS needs to be defeated first. Business continues.
I have very strong doubts about the part I put in bold.

I find this speculation by Russian defense and foreign policy expert Vasily Kashin interesting.
“My understanding of the likely response is: cut contacts and cooperation on Syria with the U.S., specifically target and destroy pro-U.S. groups; bring additional forces there; maybe start some large scale exercise in Europe.”
“That will likely eliminate U.S. influence on Syria and will probably cause losses among the intelligence personnel. Basically, the response would be the same as after the incident with Turkey. No attack on Turkey itself, but pro-Turkish groups, Turkish special operations and intelligence assets were specifically targeted and their losses were huge.”
Kashin may be right, or Russian answer may be more prudent. That may be difficult to ascertain, because most if not all of what will happen in the next weeks or months will be behind the curtains.

In any event, whether this response or a more prudent one, I find the probability of a Russian response very high. Russians look really furious about this.

Large losses among pro-US groups look probable. A Russia-US killing spree among intellingence services is possible.

If I was a US intelligence asset tasked with control of Syrian groups - full disclosure: I'm not - I would be very prudent now. Very, very prudent...

Donald wants to appear unpredictable, but he's a Johnny come lately to that party. Vladimir was here first, and it's quite probable he will at least make sure to prove again he is unpredictable too. Maybe even to convince US leadership he is the unpredictablest son of a b*tch in the whole block.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Bolivia mercilessly trolls US over Iraq WMD lie in front of UN Security Council

DSiOIM1wEQ4

Llorenti reminded the council of what transpired on Wednesday February 5, 2003, when then-US secretary of state Colin Powell “came to this room to present to us, according to his own words, convincing proof that there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.”

Llorenti held up a photograph of Powell taken on that day, when he held up a model vial of anthrax to demonstrate the dangers posed by Saddam Hussein and his alleged stockpile of weapons of mass destruction.

:lol:

Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Time.com

... he had several options – both military and diplomatic – for firing back.

He could have used Russia’s air defense systems in Syria to shoot the American rockets out of the sky. As a rebuke to the Americans, he could also have cancelled his meeting next week with Secretary of State Rex Tillerson. But he did neither.

Reading between the lines of Russia’s initial response, at least in the hours following the first targeted U.S. strike against the Syrian military, it seems that Putin is choosing to step back, bide his time and leave plenty of room to smooth things over. In Moscow’s diplomatic circles, there is even hope that Tillerson’s visit on Tuesday could still mark the start of some grand bargain – if not exactly a love affair – between Putin and President Donald Trump.

It was exactly the type of U.S. intervention that Russia has been preparing for in Syria. In October, the Russian Foreign Ministry said that advanced anti-aircraft systems had been deployed in response to reports that the U.S. could “bomb Syrian air fields with cruise missiles.” The notion that American stealth fighters or other “flying objects” could escape these Russian systems, known as S-300s, was the “illusion of dilettantes,” a spokesman for the Russian Defense Ministry said in separate remarks that same month.

Waiting for the other shoe (Tillerson’s visit on Tuesday) to drop.

'Syria is not our problem':
Trump's past comments on Assad