The future of the GOP

Mr. Perfect

The future of the GOP

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Nonc asked me a great question recently, that we will get to in this thread.
Nonc Hilaire wrote: I remember when you were all about Republican party loyalty. Now you are a small "l" libertarian and anti-GOPe.

Emerson: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." No little minds at OTNOT.
There has been a shift in my politics. Republican loyalty indeed was a high priority. The reason why is because the Deathocrats are never an option. They openly serve Satan and his hordes and no Democrat is ever a choice against any Republican.

Fortunately that party has died and will never have power in America again. In fact, it may dissolve the corporation in the next few election cycles and be no more. They may be a state level party in a handful of states.

The left still owns the MSM narrative which is currently cackling over the shirts vs skins setback for the GOP on obamacare and xenophobic conspiracies regarding Russia. But those days are coming to an end. When Trump hits 3% GDP per quarter or better the MSM dies on the vine.

So now GOP loyalty is no longer necessary. Supporting the GOP was just a measure to eliminate a party that should be sent straight to hell and have no influence over human lives. That has been done. So the page turns.
Censorship isn't necessary
Mr. Perfect

Re: The future of the GOP

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Now many of you here, along with lo info insular MSM outlets, know very little about American politics. The Democrats were relegated to their lowest numbers since the Civil War after expecting to become a majority party. They live in a completely non real universe, and reality comes best through the ballot box. And they still don't understand the reality. No matter, reality just eliminates people like that.

But Ymix is an example of someone who believes in memes that aren't necessarily real. IE, he used to do a thread about GOP infighting, as if it was unusual or a threat to the GOP as we were cruising to supermajority status without any real problem.

Conventional wisdom is that there is a split between Goldwater Reaganites and Bush McCain RINOS. There is truth to this, but there has always been a significant Buchanan Perot wing of the party, whose existence is generally never even acknowledged. These people have never had a voice in politics until Perot, and then they never won anything until Trump. Trump is the first time they ever experienced a win.

As such there are really 3 GOP factions. Reaganites, George Romney/Bushites (GHWB), and now Trumpites (supplanting Buchanan Perot).

Now as a conservative Republican they are all my people. I like them all and can do business with them all. They are all useful to me.
Last edited by Mr. Perfect on Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Ronald Reagan is probably the greatest President of all time, certainly up there with Washington and Lincoln, but he is not necessarily the most partisanly successful. That title goes to FDR. No one single person ever turned out more for their party over decades than he did. The Democrats were the majority party from WWII all the way through 1994 with little exception. Republicans could win Presidencies but we couldn't win the House, rarely held the Senate and had low counts at the state level.

Reagan changed all that. With his monster policy successes came historic electoral successes, winning 49 states in re-election. The good times were so good he accomplished the rare feat of getting his VP elected for 12 straight years of GOP owning the White House.

A goof up by GHWB resulted in the election of the bumbling Bill Clinton, and the GOP became the majority party of the US in 1994. We won like 300 seats nationally then like 200 more people switched parties.

The Reagan electoral arc had been set. We won in 1994 because of Ronald Reagan and no other reason. Bill Clinton handed the South to the GOP for state and national seats for the first time ever. But Reagan led the groundwork.

The GOP went on to enjoy almost complete national supremacy until 2006.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

The Iraq War cost us majority status in 2006 for the first time since 1994. The political failures of Bush ended up giving the Democrats back control. No real ideological shift had taken place, just a disgust with his poor handling of the situation. I was aggravated but not overly concerned, as the fundamentals still favored the GOP for the long term. We just needed a more persuasive capable guy at the top.

However, an economic collapse in the months before the next election cost us everything. A full blown Marxist Collectivist won the WH for the first time in our history. The first truly moral stain on the nation. The nation had moved left, the most maybe ever, but i had an ace up my sleeve, I know how economies work and I knew the results obama would get. I also know US politics, better than anyone, and I knew that the results obama would produce would destroy his party, and it did.

Catastrophic elections followed in 2010 and 2014, culminating in the Trump win of 2016, putting us back on the Reagan arc with a President who will rightly gain a place next to Reagan in history. Our success is guaranteed.

But there is a problem.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Ronald Reagan is the greatest in our history, but with heavy irony the greatest beneficiary of his success was his "nemesis", the Bush Rinos. The Bush Rinos could not have created Reaganism and did not, but they hitched a ride and took over the party. Their tenure is mixed at best.

So we fired them. Trump's obliteration of Jeb ended the Bush control over Reagan's party. The Bushes are now no different than Eisenhower, Nixon, Ford, placeholders who did a job however well. But none have the historic legacy of Reagan, or the legacy Trump will have.

So we now have Reaganites, Trumpites, and George Romneyites. I like 'em all, happy to work with them all, but we have some internal work to do.

First, the Rinos have a real record of not being good at politics. As a result, the Rinos that have controlled the establishment of the party since 1988 have to go the back of the bus. No more input, no more leadership roles, for at least a generation. Just keep your mouth shut and vote as you are told.

The remaining Reaganites and Trumpites can take turns as needed. I'm perfectly happy with Trump in the executive even thought technically I'm a Reaganite. Every day is still like Christmas.

But there is another problem.
Last edited by Mr. Perfect on Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Last edited by Mr. Perfect on Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Rush Limbaugh has an old adage, "conservatism wins elections". It certainly can win elections, but not always.

Case in point, Newt Gingrich, 1994. Nobody had ever heard of him the night before he won the majority of the House and became the first GOP speaker in 40 years. Speaking for myself, that election night was one of the best days of my life. Clinton's win coupled with the Democrat majority congress allowed the MSM to pretend Reaganism had never happened. But boy, the NYT knew how to do fake news even then.

So we sat back and prepared for getting everything on the list Reagan didn't get. Privatized schools, the end of the New Deal and the Fed. We thought we were getting it all and we ended up with little.

Newt ended up being a terrible politician. He fell for every trap the left laid for him, and his strategy was to be confrontational to Bill Clinton instead of just being a legislative leader always drafting and passing good ideas Clinton would be forced to sign or veto. He was right on most issues but had no ability to deliver. As a result he went from being an historic figure to being driven from office in 4 short years.

The Newt Gingrich period was formative for me, and left a mark on the party that is with us to this day.
Last edited by Mr. Perfect on Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Enter Paul Ryan. No one has been a more vocal supporter of Paul Ryan than myself. Paul Ryan was to be the heir to Reagan, to fulfill his legacy by being the ultimate technocrat that would end the New Deal and big government programs. Privatized everything. He was the one that would do it all.

I was thrilled at his selection as VP and Romney's embrace of his budget. The Ryan plan. A path to a balanced budget, debt reduction and entitlement removal. And end to the collectivist parasite state. He had run all the numbers and if anyone would get it done it was him. He had the numbers.

But he lost. A very painful loss. It was looking like we would be eating acorns before long with obama's re-election, but shortly after the debt ceiling battle ended obamacare went into effect and the GOP came back to the Reagan electoral arc. Victory was assured at that point as we were the supermajority party.

But a strange thing happened. Ryan changed. He got on board with amnesty. He started chiding the Tea Party. Then with the resignation of Boner he became the reluctant speaker of the House, where he formed an alliance with obama to create the TPP, rolled over to obama repeatedly and didn't lift a finger to help Trump win.

His stock plummeted in my portfolio.

But winning has a way of refreshing things, and Trump/Ryan formed an odd relationship.
Last edited by Mr. Perfect on Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Trump delegated repeal/replace to Ryan. This was Ryan's shot at redemption. This was his chance at history, to be the first great privatizer in American history.

He failed in totality. The replacement bill was probably the worst bill a Republican could write. Unfortunately for the WH they weren't getting it, and Ryan's failure ended up splashing on them.

So Ryan Denethored himself. We will probably never know how Ryan went from Howard Roark status to Peter Keating status in so short a time. It may not matter. But he has shamed his family name unto the 7th generation. May he be dispatched with quickness.

Some say he didn't want the job. Maybe he sabotaged himself. Who knows.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

So the GOP has an issue. Traditionally, the GOP has had a more conservative House delegation than Senate. Usually Rinos in the Senate were the problem. Now we have the opposite problem.

Rand Paul, Ted Cruz and Mike Lee, while I have issues with the last 2 are capable legislative leaders who can craft libertarian/conservative policy with an A rating.

With the collapse of Paul Ryan, we have no conservative legislative force in the House, and we need one. Trump gets an A+ from me, he's doing everything I expected of him, but no one person should do it alone. We would be doing so much better with a conservative bloc driving legislation from the House. Hit 'em from all sides.

The biggest problem facing the GOP in this period is the House of Representatives.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

All of this is fake history. All anyone needs to know about the GOP follows:

The history of the GOP over the past 25+ years can best be understood through psychopathic conservative talk radio -- which serves the interests of the selfish, greedy shmucks that comprise the core of the GOP intelligentsia -- and other alt-media. Most of America is hopelessly naive and insular, providing a large, gullible audience for psychopaths -- hard right conservatives, Evangelical pastors and their megachurches, etc. -- to prey on. The things that made America great, including the New Deal and immigration, but which the hard right either doesn't want to pay for or have an ignorant aversion to, have been turned into bogeymen, even as Americans continue to benefit from them.

Republicans are generally just *ssholes. There are primarily two core phenotypes: 1) smarmy overly-confident suburban dad types who never faced adversity in their lives, benefited from enormous unearned advantages to effortlessly attain upper middle class status, and are eager to give everyone free lectures about the meaning of hard work and pulling yourself up by your bootstraps and 2) dirt poor, white rednecks who are barely literate, mooch off the government, and are mad as hell that someone who doesn't look or talk like them might be receiving the same benefits. Category (1) includes most of the Megachurch types.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Haha. Crazy with a Capital 'C'.

Entitlement removal :lol: Just don't touch Medicare, Social Security, and unemployment benefits! As long as it's someone else's entitlement, it's all good. 8-)

The GOP is a joke and this week we had a vivid technicolor flashback of what life was like under them before the Great Barack Hussein Obama (Peace Be Upon Him for All Eternity): a bunch of greedy shmucks who are incapable of fixing problems. Ask yourself when the GOP actually took control and fixed something. It just doesn't happen! SEVEN years of railing against Obamacare and holding votes, holding up the government, etc, etc. Hell, we were told for years that Obamacare instantly made the country worse off, so a simple repeal should have been preferable.

Well, they can't repeal it, because they know it's actually quite popular. They refused to contribute to fixing it for seven long years, preferring cheap political grandstanding instead, and now we see that they never had any idea whatsoever how to do so.
Last edited by Zack Morris on Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Speaking of crazy, your party is at its lowest levels since the civil war and to deal with it you put on genital costumes and riot and have public meltdowns that shock Americans.

You are never coming back.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Speaking of crazy, your party is at its lowest levels since the civil war and to deal with it you put on genital costumes and riot and have public meltdowns that shock Americans.

The Democratic party has hit low water marks before. The GOP got damn lucky with gerrymandering, empty populism, and a national political structure that tilts too much political power toward otherwise weak and inconsequential, homogeneous states. This is just a temporary set back. We're never going back to pre-New Deal America. We're not even going back to the 50's. With Donald Trump at the helm, the GOP is only going to accelerate its customary cyclical implosion.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Lol. obama presided over the largest political collapse in US history and you show every sign that you are doubling down on the very things that destroyed you. May you run the party the last few years it exists. You are finished.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Thanks, Mr. P. Best post here maybe ever.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

What happened to Paul Ryan?

His experience is as a speech writer [the whole Jack Kemp Freedom works bit on his resume] with above-average people skills- way above average to climb to where he is. Without getting into politics at 29, he would've ended up a fitness instructor.

Ryan has always been a problem and guys like Ryan becoming prominent in the party shows poor judgement and a sign of rot, in the GOP and in the general trend of federal politics.

Newt was part of the problem too but in a totally different way; he suffers from a number of discrete character issues that should've precluded him from getting where he was. One thing Newt has on Ryan is that, for better and worse, not only was he capable of original thinking but he understood what it meant to adopt others ideas in a legislative context.

If he only had a personality that wouldn't sabotage himself any time he could get the chance.
Last edited by NapLajoieonSteroids on Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

The future of the GOP is what we make it.

The real divisions within it are between those on Capitol Hill who don't care a whit for anything not related to tax cuts, those who view themselves as brokers for a patronage from lobbyists- particular the Chamber of Commerce variety- and a sundry assortment of opinions and tendencies too diffuse to be politically organizing.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Zack Morris wrote:All of this is fake history. All anyone needs to know about the GOP follows:

The history of the GOP over the past 25+ years can best be understood through psychopathic conservative talk radio -- which serves the interests of the selfish, greedy shmucks that comprise the core of the GOP intelligentsia -- and other alt-media. Most of America is hopelessly naive and insular, providing a large, gullible audience for psychopaths -- hard right conservatives, Evangelical pastors and their megachurches, etc. -- to prey on. The things that made America great, including the New Deal and immigration, but which the hard right either doesn't want to pay for or have an ignorant aversion to, have been turned into bogeymen, even as Americans continue to benefit from them.

Republicans are generally just *ssholes. There are primarily two core phenotypes: 1) smarmy overly-confident suburban dad types who never faced adversity in their lives, benefited from enormous unearned advantages to effortlessly attain upper middle class status, and are eager to give everyone free lectures about the meaning of hard work and pulling yourself up by your bootstraps and 2) dirt poor, white rednecks who are barely literate, mooch off the government, and are mad as hell that someone who doesn't look or talk like them might be receiving the same benefits. Category (1) includes most of the Megachurch types.
Zack Morris wrote:
"The world is divided between those who treat only an arbitrary subset of people as equals (hoping it will lead to personal rewards) and those who strive to see the shared humanity in everyone."

And we all hate one of those two groups...... we need a third classification.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:The future of the GOP is what we make it.

The real divisions within it are between those on Capitol Hill who don't care a whit for anything not related to tax cuts, those who view themselves as brokers for a patronage from lobbyists- particular the Chamber of Commerce variety- and a sundry assortment of opinions and tendencies too diffuse to be politically organizing.
Evangelicals gave Trump the nomination and put him in the WH. They will be felt again.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Zack Morris wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:Speaking of crazy, your party is at its lowest levels since the civil war and to deal with it you put on genital costumes and riot and have public meltdowns that shock Americans.

The Democratic party has hit low water marks before. The GOP got damn lucky with gerrymandering, empty populism, and a national political structure that tilts too much political power toward otherwise weak and inconsequential, homogeneous states. This is just a temporary set back. We're never going back to pre-New Deal America. We're not even going back to the 50's. With Donald Trump at the helm, the GOP is only going to accelerate its customary cyclical implosion.
While the dems have been busy trying to put their boots on the throats of every one that disagrees with them. You still haven't given a reason why bakers have to bake cakes for ceremonies that they sincerely believe is against their religious beliefs.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

awBp_sToKys

If race should matter, there would be an extra reason to vote for Elder as the next POTUS. On the other hand.. nothing much changed since 2000, the year of that interview.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Doc wrote:
Zack Morris wrote:

While the dems have been busy trying to put their boots on the throats of every one that disagrees with them. You still haven't given a reason why bakers have to bake cakes for ceremonies that they sincerely believe is against their religious beliefs.
Economic freedom comes with responsibility. The private sector is supplies most of our goods and services and is an integral part of society. Businesses must treat patrons fairly and equally to prevent them from using their considerable economic leverage to discriminate against and oppress classes of people without justifiable cause. Discriminating against customers on the basis of sexual orientation is not reasonable. If someone has genuine religious objections to serving a gay customer (hard to believe, because nothing in Christian scripture prohibits this), he should not be operating a business in the first place.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Zack Morris wrote:
Doc wrote:
Zack Morris wrote:

Economic freedom comes with responsibility. The private sector is supplies most of our goods and services and is an integral part of society. Businesses must treat patrons fairly and equally to prevent them from using their considerable economic leverage to discriminate against and oppress classes of people without justifiable cause. Discriminating against customers on the basis of sexual orientation is not reasonable. If someone has genuine religious objections to serving a gay customer (hard to believe, because nothing in Christian scripture prohibits this), he should not be operating a business in the first place.
So when you say that if conservatives don't like left wing companies like Twitter or Facebook because they treat people equally they should make their own "Twitter" or "Facebook"you really didn't mean it?
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Parodite wrote:awBp_sToKys

If race should matter, there would be an extra reason to vote for Elder as the next POTUS. On the other hand.. nothing much changed since 2000, the year of that interview.
Nothing has changed on the national level, luckily, all Americans live on the local level and not on the national level. :D Voting with your feet is more effective than the ballot box. :shock:

Brilliant man, excellent book. Thanks for posting. I read it about 15 years ago, and I have long considered Larry Elder as the equal of Thomas Sowell or Walter Williams when it comes to articulating complex matters in understandable terms. I'd bet a years pay all three were spanked as children.

Of course, in the mindset of more than a few, preaching the concept of personal responsibility for both individuals and parents gets one immediately branded as a racist.

I suspect that decriminalizing racism would have the same effect as decriminalizing drugs. It would destroy the high profit margins of the pushers. :)