GOP sells Americans up the digital river

Zack Morris

GOP sells Americans up the digital river

Post by Zack Morris »

Making America Great Again by repealing sensible regulations and allowing ISPs to track and sell your browsing history without disclosure.

#winning #drainingtheswamp

CNBC article
noddy

Re: GOP sells Americans up the digital river

Post by noddy »

the folks trying to explain that the internet is both a public place and a recorded place have been battling uphill against the dipshits who keep babbling about things they dont understand.

the GOP have done a brave thing, making sure everyone is fully aware exactly how this technology works.

there is a small chance they didnt mean to achieve this :P
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:the folks trying to explain that the internet is both a public place and a recorded place have been battling uphill against the dipshits who keep babbling about things they dont understand.

the GOP have done a brave thing, making sure everyone is fully aware exactly how this technology works.

their is a small chance they didnt mean to achieve this :P
what? someone else is reading my posts? do you have their names?
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

As long as privacy exists, those of us "who strive to see the shared humanity in everyone" will never be able to overcome "those who treat only an arbitrary subset of people as equals (hoping it will lead to personal rewards)."

"We" need to know who "those people" are. Otherwise we can't fix them.

Meaning of course, help them, not neuter them. Unless of course, that's the only option that looks like it might work.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Currently, nobody has complete access to one's Internet traffic (NSA excepted) other than ISPs, putting them in a privileged position. The Obama administration took many steps in the right direction in terms of Internet policy. As usual, the GOP side by default with special interests to the detriment of individual privacy and liberty.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Zack Morris wrote:Currently, nobody has complete access to one's Internet traffic (NSA excepted) other than ISPs, putting them in a privileged position. The Obama administration took many steps in the right direction in terms of Internet policy. As usual, the GOP side by default with special interests to the detriment of individual privacy and liberty.
So in an age where Obama makes it possible for the US intel community to share wiretap info (And yes it is wire tap info) with each other. Doing it so it can be more widely available to make public via leaking for political purposes VIA Executive order 12333 you want to whine about ISPs doing what they are already required to do by law? IE collect all internet traffic going through their systems?

Really?? How selective is your outrage.

The NSA collects everything All it takes is the signature of the POTUS or the AG to release it. Though it cannot be used in judicial court, Obama certainly intended wire tapped information to be used against Americans in the court of public opinion. IF you are not agast the latter then you really have no right to be taken seriously in your complaint about the former.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

VPN.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Post by Doc »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:VPN.
SSL works well enough in a lot of cases.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Zack Morris wrote:Currently, nobody has complete access to one's Internet traffic (NSA excepted) .
So so so much laughing
Censorship isn't necessary
Doc

Post by Doc »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Zack Morris wrote:Currently, nobody has complete access to one's Internet traffic (NSA excepted) .
So so so much laughing
Really....

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/t ... EE.twitter
The trail that Nunes is following will inevitably lead back to a particularly significant leak. On Jan. 12, Washington Post columnist David Ignatius reported that “according to a senior U.S. government official, (General Mike) Flynn phoned Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak several times on Dec. 29.”

From Nunes’s statements, it’s clear that he suspects that this information came from NSA intercepts of Kislyak’s phone. An Obama official, probably in the White House, “unmasked” Flynn’s name and passed it on to Ignatius.

Regardless of how the government collected on Flynn, the leak was a felony and a violation of his civil rights. But it was also a severe breach of the public trust. When I worked as an NSC staffer in the White House, 2005-2007, I read dozens of NSA surveillance reports every day. On the basis of my familiarity with this system, I strongly suspect that someone in the Obama White House blew a hole in the thin wall that prevents the government from using information collected from surveillance to destroy the lives of the citizens whose privacy it is pledged to protect.

The leaking of Flynn’s name was part of what can only be described as a White House campaign to hype the Russian threat and, at the same time, to depict Trump as Vladimir Putin’s Manchurian candidate. On Dec. 29, Obama announced sanctions against Russia as retribution for its hacking activities. From that date until Trump’s inauguration, the White House aggressively pumped into the media two streams of information: one about Russian hacking; the other about Trump’s Russia connection. In the hands of sympathetic reporters, the two streams blended into one.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Zack Morris wrote:Currently, nobody has complete access to one's Internet traffic (NSA excepted) other than ISPs, putting them in a privileged position. The Obama administration took many steps in the right direction in terms of Internet policy. As usual, the GOP side by default with special interests to the detriment of individual privacy and liberty.
thats a rather old school view of the world thats probably only true if you use linux and one of the open source browsers.

the modern world has most of the isp's being resellers on the bigboy upstreams who tend to travel beneath the radar, ditto the border routers and other infrastructure types.

the operating systems vendors have put AI agents on the microphone and text streams and only linux and to a certain extent microsoft would let you bypass the high level libraries that enforce policy.

even then most of what people do goes through cloud connected browsers which also record and aggregate behaviour and activity.

the internet is a public place, the quicker folks learn that the better.
ultracrepidarian