The "Dr. David Dao" case

Heracleum Persicum

The "Dr. David Dao" case

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

David Dao, a Vietnam-born medical doctor of Chinese ancestry

“Without ascribing racial motivations to the incident, for many Chinese Americans, including immigrants, as well as Chinese persons everywhere, this situation has touched a raw and painful nerve,” said the statement from the Committee of 100. “In a matter of days, the topic garnered more than 880 million views on Weibo, China’s equivalent of Twitter. As a Chinese American organization, C100 encourages greater understanding of Chinese perceptions underlying this phenomenon.”

“The scene of an Asian man being subjected to such physical force evokes in many Chinese a visceral reaction and prompts painful memories in Chinese and Chinese American history. Chinese people had to endure being bullied and oppressed for many years … For many years, Chinese and Asian Americans have been stereotyped as polite and passive. The current worldwide outrage suggests that Chinese peoples have found their voice, and they are standing up to protest mistreatment,” the statement read in part.

This has 2 dimensions

First, seems American society either does not know history, or not learned from history, inc now even dry yet with Chinese Exclusion Act (1882)

Seems, all talk about discrimination and freedom just "hot air" .. scratch it and rust shows.

Second, what is this police "brutality" all about ? why Police so violent in America ? .. Doctor David Dao, was sitting "lawfully" in his paid for sit, calm and peacefully .. Police has "no right" to be violent to a lawfully and legally right behaving citizen .. police can be harsh on somebody threatening with a weapon etc, but just because United saying throw this guy out does not give police "legal right" to be so forcefully that Dr. David Dao loosing 2 teeth and braking nose and face and needing corrective surgery .. United has no right to throw out a peaceful passenger from his seat, even if such right included in "fine print" it legally would be "commercial contract dispute" and does not give police right of intervening let alone violently evicting. .. Am no lawyer but afaik Police can only interfere when "unlawful" situation occurs, but police not allowed to interfere in "commercial disputes" .. Chicago Police and United will pay through the nose for this.

All this unlawful Police (and other) behaviour, many times untrue testimony by police and authorities, coming out now thank to "smartphone video" functionality .. everybody has phone in hand and BANG, video clip .. now, authorities, Police will be careful to lie as videos could surface showing otherwise .. excellent development.

Racism and Brutality must be fought with inward looking, Trump could begin with this to make "America Great Again" .. Tourism plummeting, foreigner voting with their feet.

Simple Minded

Re: The "Dr. David Dao" case

Post by Simple Minded »

You'd think someone with a last name of Dao would know better...... not a good representative at all.....
noddy

Post by noddy »

amateurs.

when the chinese wanted to go full xeonphobic racist on the japanese they organised large scale protests in several magor cities and threw stones at anyone in a japanese made car.

airlines drag obstinate whities off all the time, i wonder what the stats are like on representation.
ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

noddy wrote:.

airlines drag obstinate whities off all the time, i wonder what the stats are like on representation.

Not aware of any white guy losing 2 teeth and braking nose and needing plastic surgery for declining to leave his lawfully and paid for seat in any airline in US .. not aware of any

And

This much more than that, namely :

- Police, as soon as black or Chinese or Vietnamese or generally non white, everything goes, beat the SOB to death, know of any white unarmed guy shot by police in the back 8 times ? .. police brutality against non whites.

- Police has no legal right to interfere (specially with force) in "commercial disputes" .. even if the "fine print" of United sales contract includes such clause, it is a "commercial contract dispute" and police has no legal right interfering, United must sue the passenger in court, commercial terms can not be executed with "force", it is against the law.

She also emphasized a previously announced change that law enforcement officials would no longer be asked to remove passengers who do not pose immediate security threats.

Yes, they do this in China and Africa and India .. but those places not famous for rule of law

NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

The David Dao case -- as national news -- is a stalking horse for a lot of baloney and grievance-mongering.

A crappy airline in a low margin business who has a recent history of poor customer service (because I think they are being run by the characters from The Producers) contract out to a smaller airline with even worse optics and like hot potato, they get caught with the stone when the music stops.

In this case a bunch of cops who happen to be black beat up a quack doctor who happens to chinese because a corporation is full-on imbecilic

Which means a bunch of white people need discuss how they are actually at fault for the whole incident.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I dunno. Maybe Chinese people should no longer come here.
Censorship isn't necessary
Heracleum Persicum

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:.

The David Dao case -- as national news -- is a stalking horse for a lot of baloney and grievance-mongering.

A crappy airline in a low margin business who has a recent history of poor customer service (because I think they are being run by the characters from The Producers) contract out to a smaller airline with even worse optics and like hot potato, they get caught with the stone when the music stops.

In this case a bunch of cops who happen to be black beat up a quack doctor who happens to chinese because a corporation is full-on imbecilic

Which means a bunch of white people need discuss how they are actually at fault for the whole incident.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

True

Mr. Perfect wrote:.

I dunno. Maybe Chinese people should no longer come here.

This Navajo and Cherokee land

Chinese (slave) together with Black (slaves) built America, MP .. America was built by Slaves.

Either Chinese no longer come here .. or .. You guys leave .. :lol: :lol: ..

Cuts both way, MP

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Dunno. Never seen a Navajo or Cherokee. I think you have a point. Too dangerous now for Chinese to come her. Probably Iranian too. America is too racist.
Censorship isn't necessary
noddy

Post by noddy »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:

Not aware of any white guy losing 2 teeth and braking nose and needing plastic surgery for declining to leave his lawfully and paid for seat in any airline in US .. not aware of any
you arent aware, this is true.

this is true because white men getting beaten up doesnt even attract any attention, who cares, they probably deserved it for being pigs.
Heracleum Persicum wrote: This much more than that, namely :

- Police, as soon as black or Chinese or Vietnamese or generally non white, everything goes, beat the SOB to death, know of any white unarmed guy shot by police in the back 8 times ? .. police brutality against non whites.

look how white that policeman doing the dragging is! lily white!

making up alternate realities to suit your prejudices once again. lovely.

pot kettle beige.

Yes, they do this in China and Africa and India .. but those places not famous for rule of law

ill give you a tip, free of charge.

if you expect whites to behave better than chinese or indians you will live in constant disappointment.
Last edited by noddy on Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

This Navajo and Cherokee land

Chinese (slave) together with Black (slaves) built America, MP .. America was built by Slaves.

Either Chinese no longer come here .. or .. You guys leave .. :lol: :lol: ..

Cuts both way, MP

this argument is silly.

right of might, conquest took the lands, their was a fight and the indigene lost, their is no immigration rules or modern law about it.

empire and conquest used to be how the world worked, you cant go an change the rules in the past just because the modern world tries to pretend it didnt happen.

britain got invaded by the angles and saxons from germany, it got invaded by the vikings, it got invaded by the romans, it got invaded by the normans and then finally the spanish were about to invade and then fucked up.

the english knew exactly what the rules of life were - biggest and best organised army wins and if you cant do that, you lose.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:The David Dao case -- as national news -- is a stalking horse for a lot of baloney and grievance-mongering.

:lol: excellent summary. United screwed up by letting anyone board the plane before starting the auction and buying back four seats back the ticket holders.

If one reads the transcripts, Dao had every chance to de-escalate this situation, yet he forced the police into escalation of force. Same mindset as that teenage girl in SC who got flipped over in her desk at school. Once you do that, you lose control of the situation. Dao went looking for an ass kicking and got what he desired. No doubt he knew he would get a big paycheck out of the deal after all, this is America. Buy coffee at McDonald's spill it on yourself, and the clown will fund your retirement.

He is not the victim here. Reaping what one sows is what free will is all about. He got the ass kicking he was looking for and will no doubt also get the payday he wanted. Excellent lesson in both personal responsibility and customer service.
Last edited by Simple Minded on Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:

you arent aware, this is true.

this is true because white men getting beaten up doesnt even attract any attention, who cares, they probably deserved it for being pigs.
Heracleum Persicum wrote: This much more than that, namely :

look how white that policeman doing the dragging is! lily white!

making up alternate realities to suit your prejudices once again. lovely.

pot kettle beige.

ill give you a tip, free of charge.

if you expect whites to behave better than chinese or indians you will live in constant disappointment.
True, those white devils ain't no Pomegranates living in a remote mountain village. Isn't this just an extension of Obamacare, brown people beating up on doctors? Remember when the elites in the US thought that brown people beating up on doctors was a good thing?
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Simple Minded wrote:You'd think someone with a last name of Dao would know better...... not a good representative at all.....
i'm a bit disappointed none of all y'all got this one. Figured fer sure Napster, noddy, Nonc, or Typhoon would get it. I'll try to slow it down a bit in the future for all y'all.

Since ain't nobody brought political group identity up yet, here goes. Does anyone know if Chicago is a red city in a red state? I heard them places is bad when it comes to racism.

This might be nothing more than just another buncha people who voted for Obama beatin the crap outa someone they figured didn't vote for Obama or mighta voted for Trump. Might not have anything to do with race. Might be related to occupation, I mean the working kind, not the army kind.
Last edited by Simple Minded on Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noddy

Post by noddy »

taotally confused me with the way you made the daod joke :P
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:taotally confused me with the way you made the daod joke :P
If Tao means "the way," maybe Dao means "the painful way?" :?

IIRC, Bruce Lee called Jeet June Do "the way of the intercepting fist." Maybe Dao is "the way of receiving fists."

Sent by a friend:

New slogans for United Airlines

We have First Class, Business Class, and No Class.

Our prices can’t be beaten...but our passengers can.

We put the hospital in hospitality.

We beat our passengers, not the competition.

We have an offer you can’t refuse. No, really.

Board as a doctor, leave as a patient.

Not enough seating? Prepare for a beating.

And you thought legroom was an issue.

Proudly offering Admiral’s Club, Captain’s Club, and Fight Club.

If our staff need a seat, we’ll drag you out by your feet.

Good news: We’re serving free meals again. Bad news: It’s a knuckle sandwich.

We treat you like we treat your luggage.

Fight or flight.

You may have patients, but we don’t have patience.

We have red-eye and black-eye flights available.

We’ll even hit a guy with glasses.

Now serving free punch.

Clearly, the TSA failed in its mission to prevent people from being attacked on planes.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:You'd think someone with a last name of Dao would know better...... not a good representative at all.....
i'm a bit disappointed none of all y'all got this one. Figured fer sure Napster, noddy, Nonc, or Typhoon would get it. I'll try to slow it down a bit in the future for all y'all.

Since ain't nobody brought political group identity up yet, here goes. Does anyone know if Chicago is a red city in a red state? I heard them places is bad when it comes to racism.

This might be nothing more than just another buncha people who voted for Obama beatin the crap outa someone they figured didn't vote for Obama or mighta voted for Trump. Might not have anything to do with race. Might be related to occupation, I mean the working kind, not the army kind.
Sorry to be so slow, but Daoism, unlike Buddhism, never gained a foothold in Japan.

The one Daoist temple in Japan that comes to mind is in Chukagai [Chinatown], Yokohama. It was built in the 21st century; around 2005 :wink:

As for this incident, the excessively brutal removal was uncalled for as the client was being uncooperative, not violent.
Attempting to hold a seat auction after everyone was seated was poor judgement.

As always such incidents provide a platform for projection, the authoritarian types applauding the actions of the authorities,
while the identity politics types claiming racism, discrimination, and further evidence of an ongoing pattern of police brutality.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Heracleum Persicum

Typhoon wrote:.

As for this incident, the excessively brutal removal was uncalled for as the client was being uncooperative, not violent.

Question is, whether there was a "Legal base" for police intervention .. Dr. David Dao was neither security risk nor violent .. that makes the case a "contract dispute" between the Passenger and United .. that does not constitute a "legal base" for police intervention.

In that sense, police acted illegally intervening, and, on top of it, "violently intervening".

Dr. David Dao will sue Chicago Police and United Airlines and win in both cases handsomely.

Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

Sorry to be so slow, but Daoism, unlike Buddhism, never gained a foothold in Japan.

The one Daoist temple in Japan that comes to mind is in Chukagai [Chinatown], Yokohama. It was built in the 21st century; around 2005 :wink:

As always such incidents provide a platform for projection, the authoritarian types applauding the actions of the authorities,
while the identity politics types claiming racism, discrimination, and further evidence of an ongoing pattern of police brutality.
To be honest personally I already had negative feelings towards United. Including one time where I hurt my back the day before flying from Brazil (12 hours) and found they had narrowed the distance between the cheap seats. That left my knees butted up against the seat in front. I explained that to the stewart and asked mid flight if I could change to a plus seat. His response was "That will be another $165" and would not budge.

SO far the estimate is United will lose around one billion over this I don't think I will budge on that either. :D
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:
noddy wrote:taotally confused me with the way you made the daod joke :P
If Tao means "the way," maybe Dao means "the painful way?" :?

IIRC, Bruce Lee called Jeet June Do "the way of the intercepting fist." Maybe Dao is "the way of receiving fists."

Sent by a friend:

New slogans for United Airlines

We have First Class, Business Class, and No Class.

Our prices can’t be beaten...but our passengers can.

We put the hospital in hospitality.

We beat our passengers, not the competition.

We have an offer you can’t refuse. No, really.

Board as a doctor, leave as a patient.

Not enough seating? Prepare for a beating.

And you thought legroom was an issue.

Proudly offering Admiral’s Club, Captain’s Club, and Fight Club.

If our staff need a seat, we’ll drag you out by your feet.

Good news: We’re serving free meals again. Bad news: It’s a knuckle sandwich.

We treat you like we treat your luggage.

Fight or flight.

You may have patients, but we don’t have patience.

We have red-eye and black-eye flights available.

We’ll even hit a guy with glasses.

Now serving free punch.

Clearly, the TSA failed in its mission to prevent people from being attacked on planes.
:lol:
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:

I agree 100% that all parties involved acted poorly.

In reality, when the man with the the badge, the nightstick, pepperspray, tazer, and a gun says "You can either voluntarily comply, or violence will be applied to your person," and that person responds with "I refuse to comply, I choose that you apply violence to my person," it is hard for me to feel sorry for someone being stupid. From the transcripts I have read, Dao was cognizant and chose to be arrested. Once you go that route, and you resist arrest, you forfeit your control over the immediate outcome.

Buying an airline ticket does not grant one CEO status of the airline. It does not allow you to control the private property of others. Dao exercised freewill, got the what he wanted, an immediate beating and probably a very nice paycheck eventually. Of course that is all speculation on my part, and on the part of others, only Dao knows his underlying motivation. It is entirely possible he played the "I am a doctor" card before to gain privilege and often won.

In a related story, it has once again proven that the person the MSM chose to be the hapless victim, who is a paragon of virtue, and iconic of what is "wrong with society," is a person that most would not trust to walk their dog. Seems to be about a 90% correlation rate between victim icon and person of low virtue. How they manage to get it wrong so often seems statistically impossible, especially if "innocent victim" is the norm.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/11/doctor-dra ... s-for-sex/

"

The passenger hauled off a United flight is a lung doctor with a taste for gambling, a history of angry outbursts — and a conviction for trading narcotics prescriptions and cash for gay sex in motels.

Dao’s own medical license was suspended in 2003 following his arrest on charges including unlawful prescribing and trafficking in a controlled substance.

The licensing records also reveal how Dao was “the subject of many complaints” while working at Hardin Memorial Hospital. The Medical Executive Committee there “took a strong stance in 2002, and put [Dao] on a corrective action plan due to his disruptive behavior” and referred him “for evaluation and anger management,” the papers say.

"

In the case of dealing with United, Dao antied up his bet, and it appears he will win financially. I admire his ingenuity. Hell of a poker player.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

timeless PSA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQLCF4Tiqg4

Oddly enough, on this subject, Chris Rock sounds just like my Daddy.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Simple Minded wrote:
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:The David Dao case -- as national news -- is a stalking horse for a lot of baloney and grievance-mongering.

:lol: excellent summary. United screwed up by letting anyone board the plane before starting the auction and buying back four seats back the ticket holders.

If one reads the transcripts, Dao had every chance to de-escalate this situation, yet he forced the police into escalation of force. Same mindset as that teenage girl in SC who got flipped over in her desk at school. Once you do that, you lose control of the situation. Dao went looking for an ass kicking and got what he desired. No doubt he knew he would get a big paycheck out of the deal after all, this is America. Buy coffee at McDonald's spill it on yourself, and the clown will fund your retirement.

He is not the victim here. Reaping what one sows is what free will is all about. He got the ass kicking he was looking for and will no doubt also get the payday he wanted. Excellent lesson in both personal responsibility and customer service.

You are right, they should've settled it long before anyone boarded. They should've also not been so cheap and offered 1000$ in cash instead of redeemable vouchers from the get go. 4 people would've gladly given up their seats for cash.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
You are right, they should've settled it long before anyone boarded. They should've also not been so cheap and offered 1000$ in cash instead of redeemable vouchers from the get go. 4 people would've gladly given up their seats for cash.
This was a wonderful Rorschach event. Distant observers got to project whatever they wanted into it. Racism, Obamacare dispute, rural red man gets beat down by blue city urban thugs, capitalism & corporations are bad, police violence, more racism, Asian privilege, rich arrogance, etc. I always look at it from the sense of the people involved are people I know personally.

Imagine Dao is your brother. At every Thanksgiving, Christmas, or family get together for the rest of your life you could prod him.

"David, tell us again the story of when the three cops said you need to get off the airplane you said, "No! Make me!" :lol: :lol: :lol: Dude, how many times did I tell you to keep that smart mouth of yours shut when you are in the Big City. Chicago cops ain't rural KY cops! Their fuse is shorter! How the hell did you get thru med school being so stupid!"
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

Penny wise, dollar foolish.

It is going to cost United a lot more than a few thousand dollars now.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

I agree 100% that all parties involved acted poorly.

In reality, when the man with the the badge, the nightstick, pepperspray, tazer, and a gun says "You can either voluntarily comply, or violence will be applied to your person," and that person responds with "I refuse to comply, I choose that you apply violence to my person," it is hard for me to feel sorry for someone being stupid. From the transcripts I have read, Dao was cognizant and chose to be arrested. Once you go that route, and you resist arrest, you forfeit your control over the immediate outcome.

Buying an airline ticket does not grant one CEO status of the airline. It does not allow you to control the private property of others. Dao exercised freewill, got the what he wanted, an immediate beating and probably a very nice paycheck eventually. Of course that is all speculation on my part, and on the part of others, only Dao knows his underlying motivation. It is entirely possible he played the "I am a doctor" card before to gain privilege and often won.

In a related story, it has once again proven that the person the MSM chose to be the hapless victim, who is a paragon of virtue, and iconic of what is "wrong with society," is a person that most would not trust to walk their dog. Seems to be about a 90% correlation rate between victim icon and person of low virtue. How they manage to get it wrong so often seems statistically impossible, especially if "innocent victim" is the norm.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/11/doctor-dra ... s-for-sex/

"

The passenger hauled off a United flight is a lung doctor with a taste for gambling, a history of angry outbursts — and a conviction for trading narcotics prescriptions and cash for gay sex in motels.

Dao’s own medical license was suspended in 2003 following his arrest on charges including unlawful prescribing and trafficking in a controlled substance.

The licensing records also reveal how Dao was “the subject of many complaints” while working at Hardin Memorial Hospital. The Medical Executive Committee there “took a strong stance in 2002, and put [Dao] on a corrective action plan due to his disruptive behavior” and referred him “for evaluation and anger management,” the papers say.

"

In the case of dealing with United, Dao antied up his bet, and it appears he will win financially. I admire his ingenuity. Hell of a poker player.
I unable to agree.

His past, real or not, is irrelevant and is no reason for him to receive the goon treatment by airport pseudo-police over this issue.
Buying an airline ticket does not grant one CEO status of the airline.
If only the CEO of this airline is safe from an arbitrary ass-whopping* as opposed to a paying passenger,
then I will fly with another airline [ANA coshares with United at Haneda and elsewhere, JAL coshares with AA].

*Chris Rock

An unexpected source for my point of view states it well:

http://www.drroyspencer.com/2017/04/why ... passenger/
So why is this case different?

Because the man had a legal right to keep his seat.

Under United’s Contract Of Carriage (COC) rules (which follow federal rules), a passenger may only be bumped from a flight before they board (Rule 25). After they have taken their seat, Rule 21 is in effect, which would allow security to forcibly remove the passenger for many reasons — none of which includes accommodating last minute needs for a seat for other airline employees (or even overbooking).

The flyer is in a contractual relationship with the airline, and each has rights and responsibilities under that contract. United Express violated the terms of the contract, and injured the passenger in the process.
All United Express had to do was bump up the financial incentive to give up a seat. The offer was at $800, and going to the $1,350 “limit” would have fixed the problem. Julian Simon was the one who came up with the seat-auction system, and it should be used as intended; not circumvented by intimidating passengers with threats of violations of federal law.