The Trump Doctrine

Doc

The Trump Doctrine

Post by Doc »

The Trump Doctrine: Hunt terrorists & we'll help you. Fund terrorists & we'll hunt you. BUT,we won't fight your fights for you
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/19/opin ... -east.html

A Trump Doctrine for the Middle East?

By MICHAEL DORANMAY 19, 2017
Continue reading the main story
Share This Page
Photo
Credit Mike Reddy

During his campaign, Donald Trump’s Middle East policy seemed to begin and end with his vow to “bomb the hell” out of the Islamic State — a pledge that played well with his base but unsettled establishment foreign policy experts, who worried that the collateral damage would include everything else America has been trying to build in the region.

The establishment was giving itself too much credit: Our policies in the Middle East have been blowing themselves up for a good while. As Mr. Trump embarks Friday on his first foreign trip, including stops in Israel and Saudi Arabia, he has a chance to put in place a new long-term vision. In fact, the outlines of one are already in place. Despite the controversies at home, Mr. Trump may come away with a legacy-cementing achievement: a Trump Doctrine for the Middle East.

The Middle East is complex, but Mr. Trump’s predecessors stumbled for a singular reason: the rise of Iran. As a senior official in the George W. Bush administration, I saw firsthand how President Bush’s democracy project in Iraq diverted attention from countering Iran and its proxies. Mr. Bush seems to have believed that a robust democracy in Iraq would serve simultaneously as a bulwark against Sunni Islamic extremism and Iranian power. In the end, Iran slipped into Iraq under Mr. Bush’s nose, subverted the project, and recruited proxy militias to promote its interests.

Mr. Bush let Iran in by miscalculation. President Barack Obama, by contrast, embraced Iranian ascendancy with open arms — and not just in Iraq, but in Syria as well. Mr. Obama dropped efforts to contain Iran and sought a nuclear accord that would allow the West to normalize relations because he was convinced that recognition of an Iranian sphere of influence would persuade Tehran to function as a partner in stabilizing Iraq and Syria. This was another miscalculation, and it led directly to the Russian-Iranian military alliance in Syria.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Zack Morris

Re: The Trump Doctrine

Post by Zack Morris »

The only new thing here is the open disdain for human rights by wannabe autocrat Trump. Staunch advocacy of human rights and an international order based on the rule of law were novel and historic innovations by the United States in the post-war world. It didn't have to be that way, of course. The Marshall Plan might never have happened and the US could have turned inward again. Good people are raised to place integrity before material wants. The short-sighted Trumpkins don't understand this and are instead trying their hardest to erase American leadership from the pages of history because they think it'll make them rich and feared.

As Spengler would say -- if his brain hadn't fallen out of the hole his yarmulke now conceals -- this is a Faustian bargain.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Zack Morris wrote:The only new thing here is the open disdain for human rights by wannabe autocrat Trump. Staunch advocacy of human rights and an international order based on the rule of law were novel and historic innovations by the United States in the post-war world. It didn't have to be that way, of course. The Marshall Plan might never have happened and the US could have turned inward again. Good people are raised to place integrity before material wants. The short-sighted Trumpkins don't understand this and are instead trying their hardest to erase American leadership from the pages of history because they think it'll make them rich and feared.

As Spengler would say -- if his brain hadn't fallen out of the hole his yarmulke now conceals -- this is a Faustian bargain.

Soooo Zack Morris you were in favor of the invasion of Iraq to remove extreme human rights abuser Saddam Hussein?
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Doc wrote: Soooo Zack Morris you were in favor of the invasion of Iraq to remove extreme human rights abuser Saddam Hussein?
That's not why we invaded Iraq. Nor do human rights abuses necessarily justify an invasion. American behavior toward Iraq in the 90's certainly would not have encouraged would-be despots. That's a far cry from looking the other way to win a paltry few billion $ of tainted trade.

Not that I expect you to comprehend this given your inferior moral values. You would have had us supporting the Assad regime.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Zack Morris wrote:
Doc wrote: Soooo Zack Morris you were in favor of the invasion of Iraq to remove extreme human rights abuser Saddam Hussein?
That's not why we invaded Iraq. Nor do human rights abuses necessarily justify an invasion. American behavior toward Iraq in the 90's certainly would not have encouraged would-be despots. That's a far cry from looking the other way to win a paltry few billion $ of tainted trade.

In other words you are all talk and no do. You should teach human rights at some obscure liberal arts college.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Doc wrote:
Zack Morris wrote:

In other words you are all talk and no do. You should teach human rights at some obscure liberal arts college.
All that talk of human rights and building an international order has stymied and infuriated autocracies, like China and Trump's Russian friends, for decades. It has set a standard that even human rights abusers feel compelled to pay lip service to, which has undermined their legitimacy and foreign policy objectives, and has sustained reform movements around the globe.

But go ahead. Throw it all away. You're not going to come out ahead. Globalists and thieves like Trump will eat the rewards and eventually there will come a point where you won't even have the benefit of invoking your human rights when they grow irritated of the inevitable complaining.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Zack Morris wrote:
Doc wrote:
Zack Morris wrote:

All that talk of human rights and building an international order has stymied and infuriated autocracies, like China and Trump's Russian friends, for decades. It has set a standard that even human rights abusers feel compelled to pay lip service to, which has undermined their legitimacy and foreign policy objectives, and has sustained reform movements around the globe.

But go ahead. Throw it all away. You're not going to come out ahead. Globalists and thieves like Trump will eat the rewards and eventually there will come a point where you won't even have the benefit of invoking your human rights when they grow irritated of the inevitable complaining.

Yet Saddam is no longer in power and Iraq would have been at peace if it were not for Obama's big bug out. Reagan managed to turn many nations from dictatorships to democracies during his two terns. You seem to be still fighting the cold war. Which may explain the left's obsession with Russia at this point. Nostalgia for the cold war. It is no longer a binary Geo-political world. The world outside of the ME and a couple othe exceptions moved on from that Zack. Happened a long time ago. In the Middle east it would never happen internally. Way too much religion in the mix. Between the gulf wars all I recall is more killing by democidal tyrants like Saddam not less.

After President Zero bugged out from Iraq and encouraged revolutions in Tunisia, Lybia, Syria and Egypt his record is 0-3-1 *so far* the latter being a tie With 500 thousand plus dead bodies to show for it. "The Trump doctrine" is what would have happened in Iraq if Valerie Jarrett not over ruled it. And it would have worked. Certainly better than Obama's "solution" So Trump has a great sot to be the great peace maker. What are you going to do then? Insist he is the beast with a 666 birth mark under his hair?
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Pretty much nothing you write is true. Fake history.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Zack Morris wrote:Pretty much nothing you write is true. Fake history.
IYHO

https://ourworldindata.org/democracy/

1980 38 democratic governments in the world
1992 74 democratic governments in the world

Nearly double from the start of Reagan's first term to the end of GHW Bush's term.

Clinton's two terms saw an increase of 6
GW Bush's two terms saw an increase of 11
Obama's two terms saw NO INCREASE at all.

The number of democracies went up by 49 in 36 years 43 under Republican Administration to 6 for Democratic administrations. I guess Democrats really aren't that interested in Democracy. But of course we already knew that.
C3tH_pbUcAAlRZK.jpg
C3tH_pbUcAAlRZK.jpg (41.15 KiB) Viewed 285 times
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Zack Morris wrote:The only new thing here is the open disdain for human rights by wannabe autocrat Trump.
Something you, Trump, and obama have in common. If you want rights and Democracy in the Middle East elect a Bush.

Lol, you don't even believe in rights.
Last edited by Mr. Perfect on Mon May 22, 2017 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Censorship isn't necessary
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Same as the Milo Doctrine.
Censorship isn't necessary
Doc

Post by Doc »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Zack Morris wrote:The only new thing here is the open disdain for human rights by wannabe autocrat Trump.
Something you, Trump, and obama have in common. If you want rights and Democracy in the Middle East elect a Bush.

Lol, you don't even believe in rights.

Zack just believes appeasement of the world is the answer. Not stupid people that volunteer to defend civil liberties to the death

2QRGJPtcpyc