Healthcare in the USA

Nonc Hilaire

Trump can gut Obamacare without Congress

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Evidently the Secretary has sweeping powers not widely understood.

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles ... z4bDrWRtAZ
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Zack Morris

Re: The proposed "American Health Care Act"

Post by Zack Morris »

Conclusion of article: "let's let Secretary Price do what he thinks is best with healthcare, elected officials be damned. Even though this could be used against us in 4 years, it's no excuse not to do it now."

The American Thinker: an oxymoron.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Zack Morris wrote:Conclusion of article: "let's let Secretary Price do what he thinks is best with healthcare, elected officials be damned. Even though this could be used against us in 4 years, it's no excuse not to do it now."
An excellent point Zack, that was exactly the thinking of the Democrats when they passed Obamacare.

"We can't pass up this once in a lifetime opportunity to seize power!"

Look what that thought process did to the democrat party majority in 8 short years. Once the Republicans own it, they may very well suffer the same fate.

You can never please those who want free lunches and square circles. Humans are like the obese brides on Say Yes to the Dress who proclaim "I want a wedding dress that makes me look SEXY!"

George Carlin said it well, "The public sucks!"
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Simple Minded wrote:
Zack Morris wrote:Conclusion of article: "let's let Secretary Price do what he thinks is best with healthcare, elected officials be damned. Even though this could be used against us in 4 years, it's no excuse not to do it now."
An excellent point Zack, that was exactly the thinking of the Democrats when they passed Obamacare.

Look what that thought process did to the democrat party majority in 8 short years. Once the Republicans own it, they may very well suffer the same fate.

You can never please those who want free lunches and square circles. Humans are like the obese brides on Say Yes to the Dress who proclaim "I want a wedding dress that makes me look SEXY!"

Democrat arrogance bites them in the ass again. This theme of Obama expanding executive power without a thought that it could be used by a new President in a way he does not like keeps repeating.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

Democrat arrogance bites them in the ass again. This theme of Obama expanding executive power without a thought that it could be used by a new President in a way he does not like keeps repeating.
so, yer sayin an expensive wedding dress doesn't make a fat bride sexy? :?

Dashing the hopes of fat brides everywhere....... how sexist! and un-American! ;)
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Health care expenditure as a % of GDP in the USA is an upper outlier as compared to other industrialized nations.

World Bank | Global health care expenditures as % of GDP

Having noted this, the US does not receive value for money with regards to healthcare

The current Obamacare and the proposed Ryancare are both minor cosmetic adjustments.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:Health care expenditure as a % of GDP in the USA is an upper outlier as compared to other industrialized nations.

Having noted this, the US does not receive value for money with regards to healthcare

The current Obamacare and the proposed Ryancare are both minor cosmetic adjustments.
It would be interesting to see graphs of the following compared to health care costs in industrialized nations: obesity, illegitimacy, and lawyers per capita.

Change is tough to sell, especially the potential cost savings to "we" or "me" now or in the future, vs. the cost to "me" of current purchases. One would think universal health care would be an easy sell, simply by admitting the cost will be buried in the costs of food, clothing, housing, and energy that the entire nation purchases. But to date no politician has dared to be honest enough to make the case.

But if one is raised in an area where that is the norm, hey, it is comfortable.

I suspect for most it is more a matter of trust, than a desire for a freebie. Who really wants the mentality of the Post Office, the IRS, or the VA more involved in determining one's health care costs, needs, and supplys? No one I know.

In order to be in demand as a pinch hitter, it helps to have a track record as a successful batter.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Typhoon wrote:.

Reason America shaping so bad on the above chart, is, health care is a business in America .. doctors make millions a year.

Rich people in America, not interested to get the biggest bang for the buck .. they want the best no matter what the cost .. that cuts the poor out.

US should copy Canadian or French health system.

Doctor visit, can last 30 minutes, cost in France Euro 22 each visit for tourist (French government pays less) .. U$ 25 a visit .. and, they best of the best doctors.

As long as health care is a business in US, things will not improve .. and .. Doctors, lawyers, insurance companies will not let things change, they have unlimited budget and buy Congressman & Senators election, all legally.

In that sense, don't waste your time

Last edited by Heracleum Persicum on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:
Typhoon wrote:Health care expenditure as a % of GDP in the USA is an upper outlier as compared to other industrialized nations.

It would be interesting to see graphs of the following compared to health care costs in industrialized nations: obesity, illegitimacy, and lawyers per capita.

. . .

Israel has the highest number of lawyers per capita, yet healthcare costs per capita are among the lowest.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

. . .

Israel has the highest number of lawyers per capita, yet healthcare costs per capita are among the lowest.
A lot of these stats are not trustworthy simply because they are apples and oranges.

Example the US counts infant mortality by much more(or less, depending on how you look at it) stringent standards than nearly every other country on Earth. These means that infant mortality rates appear to be much higher when in fact it is an apple to oranges comparison. However there is no doubt that the US spends more money on health care. TO see why you have to get into things like per capita numbers of medical machinery in each country.

http://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/sites/heal ... =text/html
Note that the US is close to or at top in both number and use of MRI and Cat scanners. Japan is at the top of per capita number of machines yet does not appear to have many exams.
[/quote]
Typhoon wrote:Other hand the notes indicate that the way both numbers of machines and number of examines per capita in different country are counted differently. Which again just goes to show that stats that make country to country comparisons are not really trustworthy.[.quote]
Typhoon wrote:The same goes for many other metrics of health care. Drugs are much more expensive in the US than other countries because of the perceived amount and cost of requirements to get them approved. Traditionally the US FDA approval has been the gold standard for many countries to also approve of the same drugs.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Typhoon wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

. . .

Issue is not # of lawyers .. issue is the Laws permitting suing for medical malpractice

In Canada, pretty much no suing for medical malpractice (very few) .. complain to "chamber of medicine of Canada" is 95% due to sexual cases (young doctors in small cities, villages, can not date the girls in the same village as everybody their patient, must go to next village for dating .. :lol: )

Have not heard any medical suing in Germany or France.

In US, suing for medical malpractice main business for lawyers.

Also .. one other interesting with the lawyers is "Product liability Insurance"

Some products, price consists of 70% insurance for product liability and 305 (or less) the product itself .. like light planes .. planes which should cost $ 50K , cost $ 350K because of the lawyers have sued and got 100s millions damage for rubbish claims.

Lawyers ruin America for no benefit .. all rubbish.

Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Doctors complain but malpractice insurance is not a big expense except for obgyn.

The US problem is the insurance/hospital cartel. You cannot get a quote on a medical procedure in the US. The prices charged are kept secret, and the hospitals have arrangments with the insurance companies to waive 90% of charges.

My wife broke her foot in an auto accident last year and I saw the bills. I am not guessing when I say 90% discount for insurance.

The big bills are so they can grab your savings or your estate if they can. In a severe health emergency people will pay their last dollar so the cartel is ready to provide.

Simply applying free market practices to healthcare is the first step. Obama/Ryancare fixes nothing. It just routes the money through Washington.

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Post by Doc »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

. . .

Issue is not # of lawyers .. issue is the Laws permitting suing for medical malpractice

In Canada, pretty much no suing for medical malpractice (very few) .. complain to "chamber of medicine of Canada" is 95% due to sexual cases (young doctors in small cities, villages, can not date the girls in the same village as everybody their patient, must go to next village for dating .. :lol: )

Some products, price consists of 70% insurance for product liability and 305 (or less) the product itself .. like light planes .. planes which should cost $ 50K , cost $ 350K because of the lawyers have sued and got 100s millions damage for rubbish claims.

Shakespeare once said "Kill the lawyers"
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:
Heracleum Persicum wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

. . .

Shakespeare once said "Kill the lawyers"
A lawyer who services I once engaged, and had licenses to practice law in both Japan and certain parts of the USA
wryly observed, after several drinks, that "if people were not so irrational, unreasonable, and greedy, then we would be out of a job". :wink:
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

. . .

A lot of these stats are not trustworthy simply because they are apples and oranges.

Example the US counts infant mortality by much more(or less, depending on how you look at it) stringent standards than nearly every other country on Earth. These means that infant mortality rates appear to be much higher when in fact it is an apple to oranges comparison. However there is no doubt that the US spends more money on health care. TO see why you have to get into things like per capita numbers of medical machinery in each country.

Note that the US is close to or at top in both number and use of MRI and Cat scanners. Japan is at the top of per capita number of machines yet does not appear to have many exams.
Shirley, you must be joking. In Japan, if you sprain a toe, the attending physician will order a CT scan if they can.
A bit of hyperbole, but you get the picture. The investment in all those scanners has to be recovered, especially at private hospitals.
Typhoon wrote:Other hand the notes indicate that the way both numbers of machines and number of examines per capita in different country are counted differently. Which again just goes to show that stats that make country to country comparisons are not really trustworthy.
The difference between the US and other OECD countries is sufficiently large and the grouping of the other countries is too striking to be easily discounted.
Typhoon wrote:The same goes for many other metrics of health care. Drugs are much more expensive in the US than other countries because of the perceived amount and cost of requirements to get them approved. Traditionally the US FDA approval has been the gold standard for many countries to also approve of the same drugs.
Given the very high cost of drug approval in the US, the recent trend has been to first have them approved in Europe and use the money to finance US FDA approval. Also, I suspect that there is more it than just regulatory approval.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Ugh. I have grown weary of having to do remedial education on health care in the US for the thousandth time, but here we go...

-people die on government health care in America already (called MEDICARE), therefore insinuated arguments that single payer will solve US problems is already wrong (MEDICARE is single payer)
-lower life expectancy is driven entirely by obesity and obesity related disease (diabetes, heart disease, cancer) and obesity is entirely driven by the US food supply. There is no evidence that single payer nations have secret cures for obesity and bad food.
-Americans consume almost all the prescription drugs in the world (higher spending)
-high costs exist in MEDICARE a GOVERNMENT SINGLE PAYER PROGRAM and in the private sector due to GOVERNMENT REGULATION, prior to obamacare health insurance was the most regulated industry in the US, after obamacare it doubled in regulation, and the result was cost increases. More government does not solve government problems
-single payer is not necessary for "universal coverage", 80-90% of people in the US are perfectly capable of getting private coverage on their own that they will be happy with. If you want to cover the remaining 10% dig in your pockets and buy insurance for someone
Censorship isn't necessary
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

An epic revision of history from both of you.

Here's what really happened:

1. The GOP proposes an Obamacare-like system in 1993.
2. Obama takes single payer off the table and proposes Obamacare, a system that leverages the private insurance system we have and allows states to run their own health insurance exchanges.
3. The GOP freaks out, realizing that this thing could actually work, and commit at both the state and Federal level to obstruct it, thereby creating a self-fulling prophecy of failure.
4. After years of grandstanding and trying to vote to repeal Obamacare, Americans see that the GOP has no scrubs. "Who knew health care was so complicated?"
5. GOP proposes Obamacare Light.

Those wondering why nothing ever seems to work in America anymore can look at the Congressional majority party and the failing states it runs.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Mr. Perfect wrote:

Ugh. I have grown weary of having to do remedial education on health care in the US for the thousandth time, but here we go...

-people die on government health care in America already (called MEDICARE), therefore insinuated arguments that single payer will solve US problems is already wrong (MEDICARE is single payer)
Medicare works fine and will one day be the US single payer system. Americans are not getting health care outcomes commensurate with the dollars they spend on it and there is ample evidence that Americans actually delay or avoid treatment because of financial concerns. That's been Typhoon's point consistently. Residents of this country who have the option to patronize the health care system of another nation -- Japan, South Korea, Sweden, Canada, the UK, etc. -- will usually choose to do so.

-lower life expectancy is driven entirely by obesity and obesity related disease (diabetes, heart disease, cancer) and obesity is entirely driven by the US food supply. There is no evidence that single payer nations have secret cures for obesity and bad food.
Some studies now suggest that obesity is hardly the drain on the health care system it was previously thought to be.

The GOP have consistently and vigorously opposed any effort to cure this epidemic. Even something that should be as politically innocuous as healthy school meals have faced foaming-at-the-mouth resistance from the morally bankrupt party of wealthy business owners. I think we can all find clips of GOP representatives making asinine statements on national TV about this. For all their talk of saving "civilization" and "culture", they sure are squeamish about enforcing a basic healthy diet in schools.
-Americans consume almost all the prescription drugs in the world (higher spending)
And they're overmedicated.
-high costs exist in MEDICARE a GOVERNMENT SINGLE PAYER PROGRAM and in the private sector due to GOVERNMENT REGULATION, prior to obamacare health insurance was the most regulated industry in the US, after obamacare it doubled in regulation, and the result was cost increases. More government does not solve government problems
Costly Medicare fraud will be fixed when the health care system is nationalized.
-single payer is not necessary for "universal coverage", 80-90% of people in the US are perfectly capable of getting private coverage on their own that they will be happy with. If you want to cover the remaining 10% dig in your pockets and buy insurance for someone
Pants-on-fire B.S.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

One major source of wasteful spending in the US healthcare system begins with medical school, where the supply of new students is artificially limited below demand. Doctors in the US are dramatically overpaid and barriers to entry in the profession are needlessly high. Many states also restrict NPs and dental hygienists from opening their own medical and dental practices, respectively. One does not need to be a dentist to perform check-ups, fill cavities, etc. States which permit this see lower dentist salaries on average, hence expansion to more states is vigorously opposed by sleazy local businessmen (i.e., dentists and doctors).

I read a headline today (but haven't confirmed) that the White House's own analysis of Obamacare Light reportedly predicted more uninsured than the CBO estimate :lol: Independent analyses predict that Trump-voting states will be hit the hardest. Thousands could die. I say: let them eat Trump steak!

I hope this thing passes ex post haste!
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: The US problem is the insurance/hospital cartel. You cannot get a quote on a medical procedure in the US. The prices charged are kept secret, and the hospitals have arrangments with the insurance companies to waive 90% of charges.
This is absolutely true and it's something by the way that Mr. P has denied repeatedly. You absolutely cannot get a quote. The closest you can get is to go through the following Kafka-esque procedure:

1. When making your appointment, ask what billing codes the doctor will use.
2. The receptionist will put you on hold (if you're lucky) or tell you she'll have to ask the doctor and call you back.
3. You obtain the codes.
4. You call your insurance provider and ask how much these will be billed.
5. The insurance company, if you're lucky, may give you the "average" bill submitted for these codes from the provider. But there is no single price for procedures and it depends on negotiations between the insurance company and the care provider.
6. Doctor may or may not sneak in an additional procedure so he can optimize his coding.
7. You get the bill and it's completely different than what was quoted in [5].

That was the procedure that was available to me up until last year, when United Healthcare outsourced cost estimates to some third party provider that now knows even less! Steps 4-5 now involve an infuriatingly long wait on the phone with said external vendor (and an account set-up procedure for the first time, and subsequently, wasted time trying to remember what your account login was) only to end up with an even broader estimate than before.

It's a crap system anyway you slice it and I've never met a single person from a developed country who's said "wow, I really prefer to get my medical care here!"
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

. . .

Shirley, you must be joking. In Japan, if you sprain a toe, the attending physician will order a CT scan if they can.
A bit of hyperbole, but you get the picture. The investment in all those scanners has to be recovered, especially at private hospitals.
I suspect that Japan does not share the data on how many such procedures it does in a year. Like I said apples and oranges
Typhoon wrote:Other hand the notes indicate that the way both numbers of machines and number of examines per capita in different country are counted differently. Which again just goes to show that stats that make country to country comparisons are not really trustworthy.
The difference between the US and other OECD countries is sufficiently large and the grouping of the other countries is too striking to be easily discounted.
Be as it may what I am saying is none the less true.
Given the very high cost of drug approval in the US, the recent trend has been to first have them approved in Europe and use the money to finance US FDA approval. Also, I suspect that there is more it than just regulatory approval.
Seems like it since Obama became pres.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Zack Morris wrote: An epic revision of history from both of you.

Here's what really happened:

1. The GOP proposes an Obamacare-like system in 1993.
Lol. No they didn't. A think tank did at one of the lowest points for the GOP. Nobody knew about it at the time and it was promptly forgotten by everybody.
2. Obama takes single payer off the table and proposes Obamacare, a system that leverages the private insurance system we have and allows states to run their own health insurance exchanges.
Lol no. obamacare was a Frankenstein because you guys lost Ted Kennedy's seat to a Playgirl model. You couldn't pass a real program at that point and pieced together a patchwork of disparate things through reconciliation, wasting 9 months of everyone's time.
3. The GOP freaks out, realizing that this thing could actually work, and commit at both the state and Federal level to obstruct it, thereby creating a self-fulling prophecy of failure.
Lol the people freaked out and the Democrats lost 3 elections because of obamacare, because it is a huge piece of $#!t. Half the Senators who voted for it are now out of office, 10 more will be in 2 years.
4. After years of grandstanding and trying to vote to repeal Obamacare, Americans see that the GOP has no scrubs. "Who knew health care was so complicated?"
5. GOP proposes Obamacare Light.
Not really. obamacare and other entitlements are simply going to be privatized in phases instead of all at once.
Those wondering why nothing ever seems to work in America anymore can look at the Congressional majority party and the failing states it runs.
Lol. America already looked at the Congressional minority and ended that party.
Last edited by Mr. Perfect on Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Zack Morris wrote: Medicare works fine and will one day be the US single payer system.
Lol Medicare is going bankrupt according to obama, thats why he cut almost a trillion dollars from it in obamacare. Almost all single payer nations are going bankrupt and they can't blame tax cuts for the rich or exorbitant military expenditures.
Americans are not getting health care outcomes commensurate with the dollars they spend on it and there is ample evidence that Americans actually delay or avoid treatment because of financial concerns. That's been Typhoon's point consistently. Residents of this country who have the option to patronize the health care system of another nation -- Japan, South Korea, Sweden, Canada, the UK, etc. -- will usually choose to do so.
Really. Do you know why diabetes patients sometimes delay getting diabetes treatments. Think hard before you answer.

Some studies now suggest that obesity is hardly the drain on the health care system it was previously thought to be.
Cool and hilarious fake news. Bolded was taken from the show "Ancient Aliens".
The GOP have consistently and vigorously opposed any effort to cure this epidemic. Even something that should be as politically innocuous as healthy school meals have faced foaming-at-the-mouth resistance from the morally bankrupt party of wealthy business owners. I think we can all find clips of GOP representatives making asinine statements on national TV about this. For all their talk of saving "civilization" and "culture", they sure are squeamish about enforcing a basic healthy diet in schools.
Cool story. Democrats are as fat as Republicans.
And they're overmedicated.
Derr, which is part of the reason we spend more than other countries.
Costly Medicare fraud will be fixed when the health care system is nationalized.
Lol Medicare is nationalized medicine bro, and fraud is only the beginning. There is a reason you guys always lose this debate.
Pants-on-fire B.S.
Lol 80-90% of Americans getting private insurance they like is simply numerical reality.

I love debating health care with Democrats. Every time they bring it up we get huge majorities in government. Government health care is the flame to a Democrat moth.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Zack Morris wrote: This is absolutely true and it's something by the way that Mr. P has denied repeatedly. You absolutely cannot get a quote. The closest you can get is to go through the following Kafka-esque procedure:
Because of government regulation that will end fairly soon.
It's a crap system anyway you slice it and I've never met a single person from a developed country who's said "wow, I really prefer to get my medical care here!"
Lots of people from other countries get their medical care here. We have the best health care in the world.