Romania

noddy

Re: Romania

Post by noddy »

yikes.

I can only wish you well, i wasnt joking when i said you are ahead of the curve and we need examples of what comes next :)
ultracrepidarian
YMix

Post by YMix »

We are ahead and behind the curve at the same time. We bent that curve.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

YMix wrote:Well, yeah. The SCLW Social Democrats are trying to save their asses by passing a series of nice bills. One would allow the Minister of Justice to interfere with prosecutors, tell them what to investigate and what to leave alone. Two Sundays ago I was at the protest and march. 30,000 turned up in Bucharest, thousands more across the country. At least we let the PSD know we still mean it.

More recently, Gabriela Firea, a jumped up former anchorwoman from fu*king Bacau (Moldova, ours - :roll: ) who got elected mayor of Bucharest and is most likely aspiring to more, decided to set up a Christmas fair in Victoriei Square. That would have made the square unavailable for protests. A bunch of people gathered during the day, packed her fair equipment and loaded it back into trucks (after a fight with the gendarmes). She backed down, but declared that anarchy was coming.

So things are going... as usual. The PSD is trying to gain control of the judiciary, while a bunch of other people march in the streets, urging Liviu Dragnea to go get hanged.
I'll add my wishes of good luck.

Kleptocrat politicians passing so-called laws to limit investigation of their corruption is a global phenomenon.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

YMix wrote:We are ahead and behind the curve at the same time. We bent that curve.
+1

Well said.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

YMix

Post by YMix »

Romanian sheep are fearsome.

“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
YMix

Post by YMix »

Anyone there? Shinzo Abe picks worst moment to visit Romania

Japan’s prime minister travelled 8,700 kilometres to make a historic visit to Romania — only to find his opposite number wasn’t there to welcome him.

Shinzo Abe became the first-ever Japanese head of government to make an official trip to Bucharest when he arrived on Tuesday (January 16).

But his timing was unfortunate: it came after Romanian Prime Minister Mihai Tudose resigned on Monday evening because he lost the support of his party.

[...]
Tudose is a petulant moron for refusing to stay on until a replacement is sworn in and for ruining this official visit.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

YMix wrote:

Japan’s prime minister travelled 8,700 kilometres to make a historic visit to Romania — only to find his opposite number wasn’t there to welcome him.

Shinzo Abe became the first-ever Japanese head of government to make an official trip to Bucharest when he arrived on Tuesday (January 16).

But his timing was unfortunate: it came after Romanian Prime Minister Mihai Tudose resigned on Monday evening because he lost the support of his party.

[...]
Tudose is a petulant moron for refusing to stay on until a replacement is sworn in and for ruining this official visit.
I hear Hilary and her staff are available. What's the pay and perks? She'll knows how to deal with the Ruskies!!

Have you guys ever had a female PM before? It'll be great exposure in the Western Media for your whole nation!

Imagine the headlines. "Romanians step up where Racist Misogynist Merikans fail!" ;)
YMix

Post by YMix »

I'll pass on Hillary. She's way more corrupt than Dragnea's small-town mafia. I don't want her teaching the locals new tricks.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

YMix wrote:I'll pass on Hillary. She's way more corrupt than Dragnea's small-town mafia. I don't want her teaching the locals new tricks.
Now that I know that Romanians are as misogynistic and discerning as red neck, deplorable Merikins, I have new found respect for your tribe. ;)

Tell ya what, We'll sweeten the deal and throw in Bill, Chelsea, Huma, Anthony, and Hilary's brother (whose name I forgot, poor bastard hasn't been in the news for decades).... and plane fare for all..... that's a lotta PR experts at virtually no cost...

all you gotta do is show the world how open minded you are as a sanctuary nation.....

final offer....
YMix

Post by YMix »

Too late. The PSD nominated our first woman prime minister, thus single-handedly setting back women's liberation 100 years. Viorica Dăncilă is basically a cow from the fields of Teleorman county. She's a member of the European Parliament because she couldn't get elected in Videle, a town of 11,000 people. In local politics she has never distinguished herself. In the 8 years she spent in Brussels, she's done absolutely nothing (aside from shopping). She has no idea how to run a small town mayor's office, much less a country. Things are getting interesting.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Hillary has a brother? In Arkansas that's called bigamy!
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

YMix wrote:

[...]
Regardless, someone in the J-govt is going to have to "take responsibility" for this incident.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote:
YMix wrote:

[...]
Regardless, someone in the J-govt is going to have to "take responsibility" for this incident.
Abe got gypped.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

YMix wrote:Romanian sheep are fearsome.
we have the technology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emu_War

ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

still going! crazy amount of commitment, i cant imagine australians mustering more than a week or two tops.

http://balkanspost.com/article/423/neve ... on-romania
Today, many Romanians do not view the acceptance of small atentii (cultural term for bribe) or spaga (bribe in Romanian slang) as dishonest, but rather acceptable behavior. Atentii are given according to tradition and they represent sort of a "thank you in advance" or "I appreciate it." Nonetheless, more often than not these atentii have the characteristics of bribe, as better, quicker and more attentive treatment is sought or expected in return. Those civil servants who do not accept bribes may easily be seen as cultural outliers, and they are often ostracized, victimized, or forced to leave their institution. The former Prime Minister Mihai Tudose apparently did the same for the opposite reason, and it leads to a serious paradox in the Romanian society.
no idea how much that cultural nugget actually applies, tho i will note that south east asia has a view like this on such things.
ultracrepidarian
YMix

Post by YMix »

I went through the entire article. Some of the stuff is OK, according to my knowledge, some not. "Atenție" used to mean just a small gift offered as thanks for a small service. It's not a universal name for bribe. As far as I know, bribes are seen as dishonest. Maybe necessary, maybe unavoidable, but still dishonest. I've never met anyone who saw bribes as honest. Which is probably why the slang word "șpagă" is used to describe it. People who were genuinely unashamed of taking or giving bribes, would just say "mită", the official word for bribe.

The background stuff is mostly speculation.
[Ceaușescu] practiced dynastic Communism by appointing close friends and relatives to powerful public office positions
Ceaușescu had no friends, close or otherwise. :roll: And he didn't have many relatives. The author should have said something like: "personal loyalty to Ceaușescu was mandatory for any appointment to high office".
YMix

Post by YMix »

I was at the January 20 protests. Hell, I was at the January 1 protest in Victoriei Square, me and about 300 other people. We hung around and wished Dragnea an Unhappy New Year.

On the 20th they tried something new. As I got to the Universității Square slightly before 6 PM, I noticed that things weren't exactly right. Plenty of people around, some chanting and drums and... a steady flow of cars through the square. The traffic police kept the traffic flowing, while the gendarmes were pushing us behind fences lining the sidewalk. After a couple of arguments with the gendarmes, it became clear that they were not going to cordon off the square and let us protest. Or, rather, they were going to let us protest... on separate sidewalks. After about five minutes people coming on the subway started calling those already in the square to tell them that the gendarmes were not letting them out of the station. Sh*t got a little tense. Toward 6:15, people started forcing the fences open. Click the link to see the situation close to the Architecture College Fountain.

https://youtu.be/Me-Q_Q44KLA?t=227

I wasn't there. I was further up, close to the subway station entrance and I was already in the street. Once I figured out what was going on, I got off the sidewalk and refused to get back in the fenced area. The five minutes from 6:15 to 6:20 is when the whole thing went down. First time in my life when I saw older people, respectable people, pushing and shoving the gendarmes. Not a meter away from me was a tall, older lady, dressed in a fur coat, struggling to pull the fences open as the gendarmes tried to close them. The cordon broke at several points and then the gendarmes were finally ordered to stand down and let the people occupy the square. It was an interesting trick, but also a rather stupid one. It gave everyone a sense of elation at having pushed back, followed by anger. The sons of bitches thought we would just hang our heads and go back home.

Well, that was the good part. Now for the bad part.

The protests lack organization. Despite Dragnea's ravings about Soros and the parallel state, it's painfully clear on the ground that there's no organization. 60,000 people came out in Bucharest (the 100,000 total mentioned in the article sounds kinda high to me) and all they hand was a handful of bullhorns. Most people don't chant. Some join in a bit, but there's little initiative. They look at me approvingly when I yell my head off, but they don't join. I marched toward the Parliament in the middle of a mostly silent crowd. At the end of the protest, in front of the Parliament building, they had some speeches, but the Constituției Square is too big for a bullhorn. The people on the sidewalks could barely hear a word, which is why they started drifting away. The enthusiasm (also desperation) is there, but nobody knows what to do with it.

And that's the worst aspect of it: there are no good options. We chanted "Anticipate" ("Earlies" in English :) ), but I can't even say if early elections would be a good idea. Bring down the PSD gangsters? Sure, but who should replace them? The National Liberals? Fu*k, no! The yuppie USR crowd? Young and inexperienced. The People's Movement and former president Băsescu? I'd sooner shoot him myself. And if that wasn't enough, there's a very good chance that the PSD would actually win an early election. So... we're stuck.

Here are some photos from the protest. Nothing spectacular, but this is what it looked like to me. Damn that snow.

https://www.rfi.ro/galerie-foto/protest ... uarie-2018
noddy

Post by noddy »

damn.

on a side note.

I hear you with the lack of options in regards who to vote for - sure my baseline is a lot cushier than yours but its debt funded so the usual suspects will collect on their blood soon.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

this looks like fun:
http://www.blog.carpathian2wheelsguide. ... guidebook/

YMix, is your house anywhere near the route?
YMix

Post by YMix »

Simple Minded wrote:this looks like fun:
http://www.blog.carpathian2wheelsguide. ... guidebook/

YMix, is your house anywhere near the route?
The route follows the mountains, probably dropping as low as Sinaia. I live in Bucharest, down in the southern plains.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Romanian Ruling Party Chief Under Investigation in Brazil-Report

BUCHAREST — The leader of Romania's ruling Social Democrats and speaker of its lower house of parliament, Liviu Dragnea, is under investigation in Brazil on suspicion of money laundering, a Brazilian prosecutor was quoted on Friday as saying.

An online investigative reporting platform, Rise Project, quoted Brazilian federal prosecutor Carlos Wagner Barbosa Guimaraes as saying Brazilian authorities were investigating whether Dragnea and others had used ill-gotten funds to buy beach properties in the country through third parties.

Asked about the report, Dragnea, who keeps a tight grip on his party and is seen as effectively in charge of Romania's government, said it was false.

[...]
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Well, here's to hoping they nail his ass. Although as you've noted replacement options are limited.

By the way, the main Brazilian corruption scandal is a remarkable story.

It started as an investigation of money laundering at an obscure car wash and ended up ensaring nearly every politician, right and left, and several of the largest Brazilian corporations.

As in Romania, the politicians keep trying to pass laws to grant themselves immunity.
noddy

Post by noddy »

I had a mental breakdown when I read it was Brazil punishing corruption.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:I had a mental breakdown when I read it was Brazil punishing corruption.
Global Warming/Climate Change..... nothing is predictable anymore....