Europe

YMix

Re: Europe

Post by YMix »

Ikea drivers living in trucks for months

Lorry drivers moving goods in Western Europe for Ikea and other retailers are living out of their cabs for months at a time, a BBC investigation has found.

Some drivers - brought over from poorer countries by lorry firms based in Eastern Europe - say their salary is less than three pounds an hour.

They say they cannot afford to live in the countries where they work. One said he felt "like a prisoner" in his cab.

Ikea said it was "saddened by the testimonies" of the drivers.

The drivers the BBC spoke to were employed by haulage companies based in Eastern Europe, which are paid to transport Ikea goods.

Romanian driver Emilian spends up to four months at a time sleeping, eating and washing in his truck.

He moves goods for Ikea around Western Europe, and had been in Denmark most recently.

He says the salary he takes home is a monthly average of 477 euros (£420).

A Danish driver can expect to take home an average of 2,200 euros (£1,900) a month in salary.

EU rules state that a driver posted temporarily away from home should be ''guaranteed'' the host nation's ''minimum rates of pay'' and conditions. But companies can exploit loopholes in the law.

Emilian is employed by a Slovakian subsidiary of Norwegian trucking company Bring, and is being paid as if his place of work is Slovakia - even though he never works there.

He shows us where he sleeps - a sleeping bag in the back of his cab.

According to EU law, drivers must take 45 hours weekly rest away from their cabs, but governments have been slow to enforce it.

He says he cannot afford to sleep anywhere else - he receives around 45 euros (£40) a day in expenses, which is meant to cover all hotel bills and meals.

[...]
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
noddy

Post by noddy »

traffic cameras have largely put a stop to that here, you can only imagine its a lack of will to enforce it.
ultracrepidarian
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

The EU en Euro-zone as they exist now can not last. I think there are only three possibilities, where the first is very unlikely to become a reality:

1. A United States of Europe, but nobody wants it.

2. The EU collapses because of a grinding down of politics, the unstoppable rise of anti-EU sentiments, populist nationalism. Brexit, who is next...

3. The Euro-zone collapses financially when the bankruptcy of the South is official and the North is no longer able to buy their government bonds from the ECB. All you need is another 2008 crisis, a major bubble imploding to tip over the house of cards. In the Netherlands a big real estate bubble is growing (printed money has to go somewhere) I suspect same in more EU countries. The banks in Europe of course have put themselves in nice bail-out positions with a good bunch of criminal oligarchs (especially in the South) making sure they won't pay the price, ever...

Just wondering what will kill the EU/Euro-zone; 2. politics or 3. money. It may also be a 2+3 singular event. I don't give it more than ten years before we will know. Probably 5-7 years.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Centrist Contenders Arise in Europe
Popularity Is Not the Same as Power

European populism and Euroskepticism are strengthened by weak economic growth, high unemployment, fears of the social and security effects of immigration, demographic change, and concerns among some sectors of society over the consequences of globalization. Unless those underlying trends weaken, the continuity of the eurozone will remain under threat, regardless of the results of elections in France, Germany and Italy. Should moderate forces remain in power, a massive crisis in the eurozone would be temporarily averted. But that does not mean that the consequences of a decade of economic and political crisis will simply fade away.

Parodite

Post by Parodite »

wSJ8YVEhgQk
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Parodite wrote:wSJ8YVEhgQk
Brilliant! Thanks for posting. Sounds like Mark Steyn a few years back.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

+1

He makes a compelling case for free speech.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

EU rebellion as members create ALLIANCE OF FORCE to STOP Brussels punishing UK

EUROPEAN UNION (EU) leaders face internal turmoil even before Brexit talks start, as members states demand exit negotiations don't block future trade with the UK.

Brussels chiefs could have their hands full with an in-house rebellion as leading politicians from Ireland, Denmark and the Netherlands are set to meet in the Hauge this week.

The mini summit said to be between like-minded EU members states, will see Irish PM Enda Kenny meeting with Dutch PM Mark Rutte and Denmark’s Lars Løkke Rasmussen.

The three nations are reportedly due to discuss how they can ensure the upcoming Brexit talks progress smoothly and how to avoid the EU divorce payment causing delays to any future trade deal between the bloc and the UK.

The leaders are opposed to the Brexit-settlement, thought to be as high as £50bn, as Ireland, Denmark and the Netherlands’ economy could be badly affected, the Irish Times reports.

[...]
Looks like the Eurocrats who want to see the UK pay dearly for their Brexit forgot this little issue; a damaged and constrained UK will also hurt badly remaining EU member states like those mentioned in this rebellous block. Which all will just hasten the demise of the EU of course so there is a silver lining.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Parodite wrote:
Looks like the Eurocrats who want to see the UK pay dearly for their Brexit forgot this little issue; a damaged and constrained UK will also hurt badly remaining EU member states like those mentioned in this rebellous block. Which all will just hasten the demise of the EU of course so there is a silver lining.
Excellent. Cosmic Justice in real time. Like archers who shoot straight up to see whose arrow goes the highest.

Kinda neat to see that the same people who can't agree on how to stay married, also can't agree on how to get divorced. Probably a lesson in there somewhere.

Perhaps an International Alliance of Nations who think International Alliances Suck is required.

Need an ACRONYM and a motto.

ALONE: Allied Legion of Noble Exiles

E Pluribus Pluribuses?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Quillette |Trump’s Warsaw speech marks an era defining the rebalancing of Euro-American relations
The key point is that Trump’s position of U.S. foreign policy, is popular in Central and Eastern European countries. As the former British ambassador to Poland rightly summed up, average Europeans who were on the other side of the Iron Curtain, are skeptical of an elite driven, ultra-liberal, ideological, utopian borderless European Union, which is, in their view, ruining their individual national identity through forced social engineering. They fought tooth and nail to gain back their national identity from another utopian ideology a quarter century ago, not to surrender it back. Trump, odd messenger though he is, is giving them hope.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Parodite wrote:
EU rebellion as members create ALLIANCE OF FORCE to STOP Brussels punishing UK

EUROPEAN UNION (EU) leaders face internal turmoil even before Brexit talks start, as members states demand exit negotiations don't block future trade with the UK.

Brussels chiefs could have their hands full with an in-house rebellion as leading politicians from Ireland, Denmark and the Netherlands are set to meet in the Hauge this week.

The mini summit said to be between like-minded EU members states, will see Irish PM Enda Kenny meeting with Dutch PM Mark Rutte and Denmark’s Lars Løkke Rasmussen.

The three nations are reportedly due to discuss how they can ensure the upcoming Brexit talks progress smoothly and how to avoid the EU divorce payment causing delays to any future trade deal between the bloc and the UK.

The leaders are opposed to the Brexit-settlement, thought to be as high as £50bn, as Ireland, Denmark and the Netherlands’ economy could be badly affected, the Irish Times reports.

[...]
After all, the Treaty of Versailles and the London Schedule of Payments worked brilliantly . . .
Heracleum Persicum

Typhoon wrote:.

Quillette |Trump’s Warsaw speech marks an era defining the rebalancing of Euro-American relations
The key point is that Trump’s position of U.S. foreign policy, is popular in Central and Eastern European countries. As the former British ambassador to Poland rightly summed up, average Europeans who were on the other side of the Iron Curtain, are skeptical of an elite driven, ultra-liberal, ideological, utopian borderless European Union, which is, in their view, ruining their individual national identity through forced social engineering. They fought tooth and nail to gain back their national identity from another utopian ideology a quarter century ago, not to surrender it back. Trump, odd messenger though he is, is giving them hope.

East European "culture" is "fascism".

When Prague uprising happened, I was in ETH-Zurich .. many Check university students and professors came to ETH .. know them quite well

East Europeans misunderstood European civilization and culture

US fooling East Europe into disaster.

Poles have not learned from history .. Did Brits defend Eastern Europe against aDolf ? NO .. will US defend eastern Europe ? NO

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:

East European "culture" is "fascism".

When Prague uprising happened, I was in ETH-Zurich .. many Check university students and professors came to ETH .. know them quite well

East Europeans misunderstood European civilization and culture
:lol:

Czechs.

Rather they have little interest what currently passes for culture in Western Europe

Quillette | A Tale of Two Europes

Poles have not learned from history .. Did Brits defend Eastern Europe against aDolf ? NO .. will US defend eastern Europe ? NO

The German invasion of Poland was the start of WWII with the Brit declaring war, so yes.

The great failure was FDRs policy of naive accommodation with Stalin and his odd distrust of Churchill.

Sure. The Balts, Poles, and other nations have, through great effort, freed themselves from Soviet Russian occupation should just invite the backwards failed state of Russia back.
Heracleum Persicum

The German invasion of Poland was the start of WWII with the Brit declaring war, so yes.

Chamberlain in Munich Agreement agreed to Germany's annexation of Czechoslovakia

Later, when Chamberlain realized Germany wants to take the rest of Eastern Europe and more, Britain realized Germany can not be trusted, and, next opportunity, when aDolf was dividing Poland with Russia, Brits declared war on Germany .. that war was not to defend eastern Europe (against Germany or Russians), but to try to save British Colonies that aDolf would have cleaned up .. a mistake.

The real loser of WW2 was Britain and real winner was Russia, Germany, Japan .. in the order

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Chamberlain in Munich Agreement agreed to Germany's annexation of Czechoslovakia

Later, when Chamberlain realized Germany wants to take the rest of Eastern Europe and more, Britain realized Germany can not be trusted, and, next opportunity, when aDolf was dividing Poland with Russia, Brits declared war on Germany .. that war was not to defend eastern Europe (against Germany or Russians), but to try to save British Colonies that aDolf would have cleaned up .. a mistake.

The real loser of WW2 was Britain and real winner was Russia, Germany, Japan .. in the order

The real winner of WWII was the USA.

WWII pulled the US out of the Great Depression and established it as the dominant postwar scientific, industrial, and military power.
Heracleum Persicum

Typhoon wrote:

The real winner of WWII was the USA.

WWII pulled the US out of the Great Depression and established it as the dominant postwar scientific, industrial, and military power.

America was already #1, a powerful nation B4 WW2, economically and militarily .. recession salt & pepper of capitalist system, no world shattering event, rather a local event.

But

Russia, a nobody in world economy and military, suddenly became USSR controlling all Eastern Europe .. becoming a world military and economic power

Losers of WW2 were Britain in first place, and America in 2nd place

Consider this :

B4 WW2, China was "colony" of west, Brits were beheading Chinese Nationalist Boxer on Shanghai streets, all Middle East, India , were not 2nd but 3rd class human beings, Africa did not count among human species, South America not much better .. Churchill, when reminded of British caused famine in India (millions died), called Indians worms .. Churchill himself said British prosperity in 1910's came from Persian Oil.

WW2 destroyed all this .. now , Ahmadinjeat ridicules American, China soon #1 in pretty much everything, Trump now shoe-shining the urine drinking Indian PM Narendra Modi

Now, you tell me who lost WW2 and who won ?

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Visual Capitalist | 2017: The $74 Trillion Global Economy in One Chart

The former Soviet Union no longer exists; it survived for less than 50 years after WWII.
The Baltics and E Europe having reestablished independence now decades ago.

Russia is a failed state surviving as a 3rd world nation from the export of raw materials with an economy (14th) slightly smaller than that of Australia (13th). During roughly the same period of time mainland China has grown from marginal to the 2nd largest economy.

The UK has the 5th largest economy just behind Japan (3rd) and Germany (4th).

The Iranian economy is smaller than that of Hong Kong.

The USA was the winner of WWII.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

MuSz2RorOLw
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Exhausting.
Censorship isn't necessary
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon wrote: . . .

Russia is a failed state surviving as a 3rd world nation from the export of raw materials with an economy (14th) slightly smaller than that of Australia (13th). During roughly the same period of time mainland China has grown from marginal to the 2nd largest economy.

. . .
Reason | 10 Charts That Compare the Relative Strength of the U.S. and Russia
Russia is a gas station masquerading as a country.

~ John McCain
noddy

Post by noddy »

Heracleum Persicum wrote: Consider this :

B4 WW2, China was "colony" of west, Brits were beheading Chinese Nationalist Boxer on Shanghai streets, all Middle East, India , were not 2nd but 3rd class human beings, Africa did not count among human species, South America not much better .. Churchill, when reminded of British caused famine in India (millions died), called Indians worms .. Churchill himself said British prosperity in 1910's came from Persian Oil.

WW2 destroyed all this .. now , Ahmadinjeat ridicules American, China soon #1 in pretty much everything, Trump now shoe-shining the urine drinking Indian PM Narendra Modi

Now, you tell me who lost WW2 and who won ?

not at all, america ended up in charge of the world economy and got decades of free ride from it - the recent decline is because of this free ride causing lazyness and not some long drawn bow from ww2.

china's rise had nothing todo with ww2, being poor and communist is the exception to china's history as they have been ruthlessy capitalistic since day one and the speed with which they returned to business as normal is the truth about that.

other countries are still whining over what happened centuries ago - the east asians shrugged that crap off in a single generation.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon wrote:
Typhoon wrote: . . .

. . .
Reason | 10 Charts That Compare the Relative Strength of the U.S. and Russia
Russia is a gas station masquerading as a country.

~ John McCain
If Russia had not inherited Soviet nuclear weapons, they would all be learning to speak Chinese by now.
Heracleum Persicum

Deutsch Welle says that Austrian Foreign minister has said that Turkey and Saudi Arabia in Balkan pay to woman to go public in Hijab, to distort society

Is in farsi

http://www.dw.com/fa-ir/%D8%A7%D8%AA%D8 ... a-40196095

Nonc Hilaire

Re: Trump loses!

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Nothing Trump related here, HP. Europe is leaving US/EU/UN and joining Eurasia. One belt one road, Lisbon to Vladivostok.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila