The U.K.

Simple Minded

Re: The U.K.

Post by Simple Minded »

Torchwood wrote:As Brexit approaches, and the Orangutan thinks how to start WW3, all you guys can think of is the relative costs of getting p*ssed (British meaning, not American).

In the circumstances, not a bad idea.
Updating the chide I used to use on my Brit pal from about 8 years ago: "And how many half-black or orange skinned PM's have you Brits elected?" ;)
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

Simple Minded wrote:
Torchwood wrote:As Brexit approaches, and the Orangutan thinks how to start WW3, all you guys can think of is the relative costs of getting p*ssed (British meaning, not American).

In the circumstances, not a bad idea.
Updating the chide I used to use on my Brit pal from about 8 years ago: "And how many half-black or orange skinned PM's have you Brits elected?" ;)
Yes, but we do ferocious women Prime Ministers instead... and from the Conservative Party!

Oh, and a Muslim mayor of London, who does not seem to be religious. Assimilation is proceeding
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

manolo wrote: I'm unaffected practically, except that I've cancelled my subscription to the Labour party
and after 23rd June I will never ever vote Conservative again, while both Corbyn's Labour and UKIP are beyond the pale. It has to be the Lib Dems by default, although they are wetter than a soaking dishcloth. To think that, like many in the country, I thought that Cameron would be more competent than Milliband junior, and I voted for Boris for London Mayor because I thought (quite correctly) that Red Ken was an arse.

You live and learn.

At least I saw that Goldsmith was a tit before the electors of Richmond Park did, and voted Sadiq for Mayor.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Torchwood wrote: and after 23rd June I will never ever vote Conservative again, while both Corbyn's Labour and UKIP are beyond the pale. It has to be the Lib Dems by default, although they are wetter than a soaking dishcloth. To think that, like many in the country, I thought that Cameron would be more competent than Milliband junior, and I voted for Boris for London Mayor because I thought (quite correctly) that Red Ken was an arse.

You live and learn.

At least I saw that Goldsmith was a tit before the electors of Richmond Park did, and voted Sadiq for Mayor.
I've always been interested in seeing the effects of extreme pressure, and how it reveals what one's real loyalties and motives are. The tentacles of globalism go deep.
Censorship isn't necessary
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

manolo wrote: Hi Mr P,

Good to see you here too. :) I shall have a look into the old (new) place shortly.

Your question? Hmm, as a social libertarian I'm seeing that I don't have a dog in the race these days. Of course, libertarians never did have one.

As I said to our 'lefty' daughter, "You will have the experience of being a dissident, probably for quite a long time". She has moved into the countryside and has a large piece of land including woodlands, but won't let me shoot my crossbow because of our new granddaughter. :) She says I can have a catapult if careful.

Back on the politics, there are some long processes afoot, which will probably see me out. I'm unaffected practically, except that I've cancelled my subscription to the Labour party and my Romanian dentist has bought a house here, so I can continue to secretly love her.

Keep well,

Alex.
Thank you for the reply, very thoughtful of you. I am a student of politics and as such am polling various people about the momentous electoral events.

First let me say I am incredibly grateful for your full support of obama and Hillary, they destroyed the Democrat party far worse than we ever could have, and you put them in the correct order. I don't think if Hillary had won in 2008 that the destruction would have happened. obama was a far better campaigner than administrator. Hillary a much better administrator than campaigner. Had Hillary won in 2008 I doubt she would have made the disastrous policy choices obama made. So thanks for putting obama first and dooming Hillary to second. The destruction of the Democrat party has been absolutely spectacular. And thrilling personally.

I'm seeing mixed reactions, some leftists/progressives are rolling over pretty easily, others are taking a path of derangement. I look at them like Wiley Coyote who has run over the cliff and is freewheeling not quite understanding that there is nothing left but 1000 ft of freefall. Probably another 2-5 months. Rumors are MSNBC is considering a format change.
manolo

Post by manolo »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Thank you for the reply, very thoughtful of you.
Mr P,

Thanks. :)

Alex.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Israel's ambassador to the UK has apologised after a senior member of his staff was secretly filmed saying he wanted to "take down" Foreign Office Minister Sir Alan Duncan. Israeli Embassy senior political officer Shai Masot made the comment in footage filmed in a London restaurant and obtained by the Mail on Sunday. He told a reporter that Sir Alan was creating "a lot of problems".

[...]

Sir Alan, who has been critical of Israel, was seen as more of a problem than Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson who was "basically good", according to Mr Masot in a transcript of the conversation. "He just doesn't care. He is an durian but has become minister of foreign affairs without any responsibilities. If something real happened it won't be his fault... it will be Alan Duncan."
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I'm not European, have not been there in some time but will be in Denmark mid spring. I began my detachment with Europe over the Iraq war,their opposition to Bush was dishonorable and bid farewell to those old alliances.

So Europe has not been on my mind for several years. They simply appear to be surrending to an invading foreign army. ok, self determination, everyone wins.

Till Brexit came along. Seems like a bit of old Christendom has some fight. I have to admit to being stimulated.

Traveling to Denmark in a few months I decided to do some formal history study of the place. Hadn't done anything like that in Europe for a long time.

Sort of a depressing picture. The EU was sold as something shiny new and forward thinking. Turns out that the history of the region is a perpetual search for political unions of various sorts. From a historical perspective it appears that unions are more the norm than the exception.

A bit deflating for those of us on the exit side. When this union erases another type will undoubtedly sprout up somewhere. Perhaps it is the nature of Europe.
manolo

Post by manolo »

Mr. Perfect wrote:I'm not European, have not been there in some time but will be in Denmark mid spring.
Mr P,

That's a nice part of the world and a good time to visit. :)

Alex.
Heracleum Persicum

YMix

Post by YMix »

Brexiteers who claimed the NHS would receive an extra £350m after Brexit have been condemned for voting down an amendment demanding an analysis of the impact of exiting the EU on the health service.

The amendment to Government’s bill – voted down in the Commons by 337 to 288 votes – would have forced Theresa May to probe the effects of Brexit on the NHS if it had been successful.

Among the prominent Brexiteers who voted against the amendment included Michael Gove, the then-Justice Secretary, Boris Johnson, who is now the Foreign Secretary, and Priti Patel, who is now the International Development Secretary.

Five Labour MPs also voted the amendment down, including Gisela Stuart, who appeared alongside Mr Johnson next to a battlebus promising voters a £350m-a-week spending bonanza for the health service. Kate Hoey, another Labour MP who campaigned to leave the EU, voted against her colleagues’ amendment.
Delicious. :lol:
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
noddy

Post by noddy »

the last thing anyone wants is pesky stats to provide fact checking on their campaign rhetoric.

what a horrid thought.
ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

Growing problem for London fire service
Penis ring removals
:lol:

The number of call-outs involving hapless lovers stuck in compromising – and painful – positions is apparently increasing in London.

Since April 2016, London firefighters have been called to liberate nine men from embarrassing penis ring malfunctions – which is double the number recorded between 2014 and 2015.

In one incident recounted by the emergency service, hydraulic pedal cutters had to be deployed to cut a metal sex ring off a man’s privates.

Meanwhile, cases involving individuals stuck in a kinky handcuff bind rose from 15 to 27 between 2015 and 2016

Parodite

Post by Parodite »

_YQ94jFg_4A
Deep down I'm very superficial
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

the bit i like most about brexit is how sharply it brings into focus how full of lavender europeans are.

one minute all lecturing and babbling about global harmony and sharing, next minute punishing anyone who isnt in their club.

i have no idea how the longer term of this will pan out, maybe britain suffers from not being in the hypocrites club, maybe it benefits from getting out before the contradictions ate themselves.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Good excuse for creating another national holiday. Happy Article 50 Trigger Day has a nice ring to it. If the word "trigger" is not considered offensive. Can we even use that word anymore in polite conversation?

But if the start of a trend, will it be known as Domino Day in the rest of Europe? Anglo-Asshole Day? Brit Bye Bye Day?

Luckily, the theme song already exists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw
Last edited by Simple Minded on Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:the bit i like most about brexit is how sharply it brings into focus how full of lavender europeans are.

one minute all lecturing and babbling about global harmony and sharing, next minute punishing anyone who isnt in their club.

i have no idea how the longer term of this will pan out, maybe britain suffers from not being in the hypocrites club, maybe it benefits from getting out before the contradictions ate themselves.
What I like best about Brexit, is the unwritten sub-title: "Really? You bastards think you're less f**ked up than we are. Let's split and let history record the score. Let's face it, the Honeymoon was over, and we were both tired of pretending to like each other."

Reading the article typhoon posted, ok, looking at the pictures, brought the following to mind: "All that men set their hearts on in this life is vanity, corruption, and trash. Men are like scuffling puppies or quarrelsome children who are all smiles one moment and in tears the next." Marcus Aurelius

Such pretentiousness in those who view themselves as superior.

"We are going to fix the world. You won't give us more money, power, and time. Yep, it's the people like you that are the problem."

Luckily, since the UK is an island, it will be less suspicious when it is air-brushed off the map of Europe.
Alexis

Live and let Die

Post by Alexis »

Simple Minded wrote:Luckily, the theme song already exists:

I would rather think of this theme song for Brexit. :)
When you were young and your heart was an open book
You used to say live and let live
(You know you did, you know you did you know you did)
But if this ever-changing world in which we’re living
Makes you give in and cry

Say Live and let Die
b07Z_qfchFk

Ms May has said that the EU's success remains in the interest of Great Britain... :lol: ;)

:mrgreen:
Simple Minded

Re: Live and let Die

Post by Simple Minded »

Alexis wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:Luckily, the theme song already exists:

I would rather think of this theme song for Brexit. :)
When you were young and your heart was an open book
You used to say live and let live
(You know you did, you know you did you know you did)
But if this ever-changing world in which we’re living
Makes you give in and cry

Say Live and let Die
b07Z_qfchFk
Right you are. A much more fitting theme song.

I wonder which is higher, the percentage of British men who view themselves as James Bond, or the percentage of American men who view themselves as John McCloud?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

d3PKE8uTSp8
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

noddy wrote:the bit i like most about brexit is how sharply it brings into focus how full of lavender europeans are.

Yeah. "I'll share with you if i get to decide the nature of the sharing"
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Unless the polls are dead wrong, as they were in the POTUS election, or PM May makes a major gaffe,
it would appear that the UK Conservatives will win.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_p ... _2017#2017

I don't think EU Limburger Juncker did UK Labour any favours by threatening the UK

The Grauniad is even more histrionic than usual over the perceived outcome of events, if that is possible.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Manchester

"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros