Scotland

Simple Minded

Re: Scotland

Post by Simple Minded »

Simple Minded wrote:Ya know, if "they" really wanted to be fair about this....... the same day that Scotland voted yay or nay, the rest of the UK should have had the yay or nay vote also.

Yay - we kick Scotland out of the UK

Nay - we let them stay in the UK

That would have been even more interesting!
I recently had lunch with a friend who went back to England to visit elderly relatives. I told her about this forum, thread, and my previous post.

She said that many in England were saying exactly what I had thought. If the Scots get to vote whether they should stay or not, the rest of the UK should get to vote whether to throw them out of the UK or not.

Let the voting begin. The results should be a good reflection of current social mood.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Simple Minded wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:Ya know, if "they" really wanted to be fair about this....... the same day that Scotland voted yay or nay, the rest of the UK should have had the yay or nay vote also.

Yay - we kick Scotland out of the UK

Nay - we let them stay in the UK

That would have been even more interesting!
I recently had lunch with a friend who went back to England to visit elderly relatives. I told her about this forum, thread, and my previous post.

She said that many in England were saying exactly what I had thought. If the Scots get to vote whether they should stay or not, the rest of the UK should get to vote whether to throw them out of the UK or not.

Let the voting begin. The results should be a good reflection of current social mood.
:D Apt. At least it would be a vote between equals.. adults! Now it is like will the Scotts be runaway teens.. or are they grounded in their own room until mom and dad will release them.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Two thirds of Scots support second referendum

Of those asked by Ipsos Mori, 66% said they would support the vote taking place in the next decade regardless of circumstances.

Just 31% would oppose a referendum in the next ten years.

Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

Two thirds of Scots support second referendum

Of those asked by Ipsos Mori, 66% said they would support the vote taking place in the next decade regardless of circumstances.

Just 31% would oppose a referendum in the next ten years.

No, we English only allow the Scots to vote on independence every 307 years. Each time we bribe them into the United Kingdom, this time, due to this unfortunate modern system called democracy, the bribe had to be spread more widely.

Seriously, though, I love it when Endo says that the older Scots betrayed the young. The left hates it when the masses vote the wrong way, which happens often because the masses have the sense to be conservative most of the time, but then the left is fundamentally elitist.

Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

According to latest polls, in 2015 the SNP would win 54 of the 59 Scottish seats in Westminster. It makes you wonder how long Scotland will remain in the UK...

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... estminster
noddy

Post by noddy »

its easy to have opinon polls swing your way against unpopular government, not so easy in 5 years time to avoid being the unpopular government.
ultracrepidarian
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

noddy wrote:its easy to have opinon polls swing your way against unpopular government, not so easy in 5 years time to avoid being the unpopular government.
The SNP seems to be increasing its popularity in Scotland, in spite of being in government.
noddy

Post by noddy »

good luck to them.

i still think scotland wont go independant unless its economically beneficial to do so, otherwise it will only be idealists and kids who want to because governments, business and adults will not make themselves poorer for wishy washy symbols as a general rule.
ultracrepidarian
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

noddy wrote:good luck to them.

i still think scotland wont go independant unless its economically beneficial to do so, otherwise it will only be idealists and kids who want to because governments, business and adults will not make themselves poorer for wishy washy symbols as a general rule.
It must be good to have such definite ideas about other peoples...
noddy

Post by noddy »

? huh, you are the one banging on about scottish independance like an extra in a braveheart movie.

im just suspecting the scots will behave like normal humans when it comes to decisions that lower your standard of living, thats all.

i actually have close relatives who are scottish, they are much more nuanced and ambivalent on this topic than you are.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:? huh, you are the one banging on about scottish independance like an extra in a braveheart movie.

im just suspecting the scots will behave like normal humans when it comes to decisions that lower your standard of living, thats all.

i actually have close relatives who are scottish, they are much more nuanced and ambivalent on this topic than you are.
Bro,

You are straining my minute cranium to the max. "Normal Humans"....????? :shock: :?

If you are suggesting replacing homo sapiens with an improved species, say humanicus normalus, I'm all for it.

Seems to me the religious types and the lefties have been trying this for eons, with little success. What's yer plan? ;)

OK, I'm back from walking the dog and I think I got it.

In Endo's posts, when he proselytizes that the "capitalist" mindset is the problem, I think he really means "parental," "human," or "normal human."

Selfish bastards seek pleasure and a better life, so they tend to hump more. They spend more money on clothes, cars, houses, makeup, cosmetic surgery, alcohol, drugs, etc. all so they can get laid more.

Napster and Freud are right. Life is all about sex.

So working Zack and Paul Erlich into the equation, if we can just make not having sex the new sexy, and suicide the highest form of community service...., in a couple generations Heaven on Earth will be attained.

The AGWers are off to a good start by making the act of exhaling an Apocalyptic cause. The religious appeal to existential guilt is almost always a great selling point.

Potential Slogans: "Chastity is sexy!" "Suicide is the ultimate form of selflessness!"

I'm hoping you can help me with the art work.... :)
noddy

Post by noddy »

that should keep your breeding impulses under control for a bit.. or maybe not :)
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:Image

that should keep your breeding impulses under control for a bit.. or maybe not :)
perhaps even increase the appeal of suicide.....

:lol: You never let me down Bro!

Now I know why they won't let the rest of the UK vote on throwing Scotland off the island......
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Simple Minded wrote:Napster and Freud are right.
Now here is an endorsement I can get behind. I'll get the business cards printed up:

Nap:
Sex Theorist-
lots of sex, in theory

As for Scotland and the Scots, how can you not be passionate about them? If I were able, I'd probably move to Scotland countryside in a heartbeat and then spend the rest of vacillating between loathing and loving the whole experience.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:Napster and Freud are right.
Now here is an endorsement I can get behind. I'll get the business cards printed up:

Nap:
Sex Theorist-
lots of sex, in theory

As for Scotland and the Scots, how can you not be passionate about them? If I were able, I'd probably move to Scotland countryside in a heartbeat and then spend the rest of vacillating between loathing and loving the whole experience.
:lol:

endorsement granted.

Me suspects in Scotland, you'd stand out like a sore thumb...... or a typical American... ;)
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Opinion poll in Scotland in respect of coming Westminster elections

If the SNP wins most seats in Scotland they may become essential coalition partners for any government in London. At which time the English would be eager to expell Scotland from the UK!... :D
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

North of England Rebels in Search of a New Home
http://sputniknews.com/europe/20150514/1022135461.html

"Weather is chilly but the whisky is hot". The north of England takes to Twitter to share the idea that cities in the north should become a 'New Scotland', following a surge in support for the Scottish National Party and an outspoken rejection of the Westminster rhetoric.

It all started with a petition which has now over 5000 supporters calling for the north of England to "secede from the UK and join Scotland, regaining control over its own destiny."

People are increasingly feeling that Westminster politics is irrelevant to the north of England and Etonians in the House of Commons need to be challenged. "The deliberations in Westminster are becoming increasingly irrelevant to the north of England".

The petition suggests:

"The northern cities feel far greater affinity with their Scottish counterparts such as Glasgow and Edinburgh than with the ideologies of the London-centric south."

"Their needs and challenges of the north cannot be understood by the endless parade of old Etonians lining the front benches of the House of Commons.

"We, the people of the north, demand that in the event that Scotland becomes independent the border between England and the New Scotland be drawn along a line that runs between the River Dee and the mouth of The Humber."

This would mean cities including Sheffield, where it's believed the petition started, Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Newcastle, Hull and Preston should all join a 'New Scotland'.

Gaining support on social media #TakeUsWithYouScotland is trending on Twitter and fast becoming a window for anti-Westminster feelings and the post-election hashtag.

The demand for a 'New Scotland' ignited by a petition published on change.org now has more than 11,000 supporters thanks to Twitter.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Endovelico wrote:Opinion poll in Scotland in respect of coming Westminster elections

If the SNP wins most seats in Scotland they may become essential coalition partners for any government in London. At which time the English would be eager to expell Scotland from the UK!... :D
Highly accurate polls you got there Endo.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

'You think you're Saddam Hussein?' Jon Stewart tackles Nicola Sturgeon on SNP success
Libby Brooks - Tuesday 9 June 2015 07.36 BST
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... np-success

Nicola Sturgeon has proved her comedy credentials in the United States, despite being compared with Saddam Hussein, after risking a late-night audience with the Daily Show’s combative host Jon Stewart.

Monday night’s interview on Comedy Central’s hugely influential satirical news programme marks another spike in the Scottish National party leader’s burgeoning international profile, as she becomes the most senior serving UK politician to appear on the show.

Stewart, whose trademark style is to mercilessly tease guests, made the comparison with Hussein after Sturgeon joked she had “ordered an inquiry” into why the SNP won just 56 out of 59 Scottish parliamentary seats in the UK’s recent general election.

The host responded: “You think you’re Saddam Hussein? You get 99%?”

“I think you should always aim for more,” Scotland’s first minister shot back.

Sturgeon also took her host to task after the Daily Show website described her in error as a comedian.

She told Stewart in mock outrage: “You billed me on your website as a comedian, so you’ve raised all these expectations that I’m going to be funny.

“And I’m a politician, and as you know, politicians are rarely very funny.”

But Stewart parried: “You need not worry. They thought I was going to be funny for 17 years.”

Sturgeon went on to joke about America’s military record after Stewart questioned her about Scottish oil reserves, asking: “How much are we talking about here? May we invade you?”

She told the audience: “I think this is progress because you just heard there Jon, presumably on behalf of the United States, ask permission to invade an oil-producing country. It doesn’t usually work that way.”

Stewart laughed and said: “See that, you are a comedian.”

During her four-day trip to New York and Washington DC, Sturgeon has already garnered headlines feting “Scotland’s feminist first minister” and “the star of Scottish politics”.
Nicola Sturgeon to debate with Guardian editor-in-chief Katharine Viner

Earlier in the day, Sturgeon insisted in an interview on the business channel Bloomberg TV that Scotland could “shoulder” the burden of the SNP’s flagship plan for full fiscal autonomy, which would require the country to fully fund spending through its own tax revenues and borrowing.

She also argued that the collapse in the oil price “doesn’t change the fact that I believe Scotland would be a prosperous independent country”.

Sturgeon’s visit will include a number of business engagements aimed at highlighting Scotland’s success in attracting US investment, as well as meetings at the World Bank, IMF and an address at the Council on Foreign Relations.
Nicola Sturgeon not only is a better politician than Cameron but she is also a lot funnier... With her Scotland will be free!...
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

I thought this fit better in the Scotland thread than the Russian one:
Alexis wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:Us Dicks need to stick together! ;)

Bad visual I know..... sorry! :(

Simple Minded, NapLajoieonSteroids, Gentlemen!

Have you by any chance played a role in this video?

qJmgLqQ-uog

Sorry, but you've been recognized!
:lol:

Something like that happened to me in a pub first night in Glasgow! :D Scotland is truly a land of crazy, angry giants!