Poland

Heracleum Persicum

Poland

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Sarmatism

http://www.iranreview.org/content/Docum ... ations.htm

The year 2014 marks the 540th anniversary of the establishment of political relations between the two countries the main foundations for which had been laid in 1474; that is, long before the Safavid dynasty and under the rule of Aq Qoyunlu. During many centuries following the outset of the two countries’ relations, the exchange of political, diplomatic, economic, religious and even military delegations has continued without interruption. Even during the period that Poland was occupied and was finally disintegrated, cultural relations between Warsaw and Tehran continued unabated.

During the 16th century, Polish nobles and aristocrats, who especially lived in southeastern part of the country, made considerable efforts to revive their Iranian origin, which is known as Sarmatism or Sarmatianism.

The Sarmatians were a confederacy of predominantly Iranian tribes living north of the Black Sea many centuries before Christ. They had immigrated to Central Europe from the northwestern parts of the Achaemenid Empire and settled in a region which is now known as Poland.

The first translation of Golestan, the famous poetic work of the world-known Iranian poet, Sa'di, into a European language took place about three centuries ago when it was translated into Polish.

During the long period in which the division of Poland took place and which lasted more than a century (from 1795 to 1918), Iran was one of two countries in the world which never recognized that division. Iran even had an honorary consul in Warsaw before the independence of Poland in 1918. Isidor Brofsky, a brave army officer of polish stock, laid down his life in defense of Iran's territorial integrity during the siege on the city of Herat in 1838, and, thus, turned into a common heritage for both nations. Almost a century later and during the World War II, when Poland was once again under the occupation (from 1942 up to the end of the war), Iran was, for four years, the main route for saving more than 120,000 Polish immigrants who had been liberated from Siberian concentration camps following Hitler’s attack on Russia. The central Iranian city of Isfahan was the main place where Polish orphans, who had lost their parents during this great immigration, were gathered and, thus, it came to be known as the “city of Polish children.” After the immigrants went back to Poland, the education of Persian language and Persian studies were vogue in the most creditable university of the country in the city of Kraków. Similar courses were also launched at the University of Warsaw. Now, more than 70 years after that incident and through efforts made by the offspring of those immigrants, the commemoration plaque of that event is to be unveiled in my presence during the current week at one of Warsaw’s squares. During the ceremony, Iranians will be lauded for having played host to Polish immigrants during the aforesaid period.

Following the collapse of the Communism and subsequent to the accession of Poland to the NATO and the European Union (EU), economic relations between Warsaw and Tehran, which were mostly state-sponsored, gradually decreased as Poland gave priority in such relations to new European and Western partners. As a consequence of dwindling economic ties, political and cultural interactions between the two countries also changed.

There was a small street in the Polish capital city of Warsaw which had been named after the Iranian capital, Tehran. That name was erased from the map following the aforesaid developments. However, during all the years that the European Union has been imposing unilateral sanctions against Iran, although Poland, as a new member of the EU, has been forced to follow suit with the collective decisions made by member states, it never took a first step to initiate any hostile or unfriendly measures against Iran. On the contrary, Warsaw has even tried to tone down tension in Iran's relations with the European Union by taking appropriate measures. For example, when most European countries had stopped supplying fuel to Iranian passenger airliners, the government of Poland answered positive to Iran's fuel request – though the Iran Air did not take good advantage of that opportunity. In another case, when the foreign ministers of Germany, France and the UK were making intense efforts to get new sanctions approved against Iran during the EU’s foreign ministers meeting in Cyprus (when Cyprus was rotational chair of the EU), the only opposite voice came from the Poland’s Foreign Minister Radoslaw Sikorski. During that period, when according to an unwritten law, any visit to Iran by European officials higher than deputy ministers had been banned, the Polish culture minister visited Iran two times, and its foreign minister also paid a single visit to the Islamic Republic. Of course, due to pressure from third states, such visits did not continue. However, a parliamentary friendship group with Iran was formed at Poland’s parliament during the same period after a six-year delay and its counterpart was also launched by the Iranian parliamentarians.

At present, following the establishment of [new Iranian President] Dr. [Hassan] Rouhani’s administration of foresight and hope, and in view of recent agreement reached in the Swiss city of Geneva [between Iran and the six world powers], Mr. Sikorski, the Polish foreign minister, has become the fourth foreign minister out of 28 member states of the EU who is visiting Iran. His visit started on Friday, February 28, 2014, and will continue until March 2, during which a high-ranking delegation comprising political and economic officials of Poland will hold talks with various officials of the Islamic Republic of Iran. In addition to conducting political consultations on the most important regional and international issues of interest to both countries, the Polish delegates will also discuss with Iranian officials ways of further developing and deepening bilateral relations in all political, economic and cultural spheres. Poland strongly believes in Iran's undeniable role in resolving regional crises in the Middle East and its neighboring regions and looks upon Tehran as a reliable, stable and secure partner in this part of the world.

This is why just one month after the ongoing visit of the Polish foreign minister – more precisely in early May –, the country’s deputy prime minister and minister of economic affairs will visit Tehran heading a delegation consisting of 50 members who will be either representatives or officials of Poland’s biggest companies and most important economic institutions. Poland is the sixth European power with a vast area and big population among 28 EU member states, which is trying hard to redefine its role and establish its deserved position within the European Union. On the other hand, the Islamic Republic of Iran, as a powerful country in the Middle East region and neighboring regions, enjoys abundant energy resources and huge human and economic potentials. In view of their capabilities, the two countries are trying to revive their brilliant relations of the past and, in the near future, turn into the most reliable economic partners for each other.

:D
Endovelico

Re: Poland

Post by Endovelico »

A Polish Presidential Candidate who likes Putin
Magdalena Ogórek.JPG
Magdalena Ogórek.JPG (38.2 KiB) Viewed 3912 times
Will the Poles like her?... :D
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Endovelico wrote:A Polish Presidential Candidate who likes Putin
Magdalena Ogórek.JPG
Only if teaching Polish history has been banned in Poland for the last twenty-five years.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Endovelico wrote:A Polish Presidential Candidate who likes Putin
Magdalena Ogórek.JPG
Power, or abuse thereof, is an aphrodisiac. She would probably also find me extremely attractive.

Hey Magdalena..... who's yer Daddy? ;)
Alexis

Welcome to Poland

Post by Alexis »

YMix

Post by YMix »

Somebody discovered the magic of Polandball. :)
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
YMix

Post by YMix »

“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
Alexis

Have you ever had two countries at once...

Post by Alexis »

... Outrageous! :lol:

And yes, Your Honor, I do plead guilty. I only discovered PolandBall very recently.

On similar topic, though this may be a bit old...

Retro-Crazed German Youths Invade Poland

WARSAW, POLAND—In the largest nostalgia-driven military assault in history, 250,000 retro-crazed German teenagers and twentysomethings invaded Poland Monday.

A battalion of hip, '30s-obsessed German teens rolls through the streets of Warsaw.

"The '30s were, like, the coolest decade," said 17-year-old Grete Wunsch of Dusseldorf, one of the 840 young hipsters in the 55th Panzer Division who seized control of the capital city of Warsaw and set up a provisional German government. "The clothes, the music, the rallies—that whole Third Reich thing was just the best. I was so born in the wrong decade."

"Lebensraum is totally where it's at," said Günter Groff, 19, a high-ranking officer in the popular teen retro-club which calls itself "The S.S." "We're tired of the mainstream, corporate clothes and pop music of the '90s. We hunger for something more, something to call our own, and we understand that the Fatherland must gain more territory if the superior Aryan Race is to claim its rightful destiny as rulers of the Untermensch."

Throughout Poland, the air is filled with the exuberant sounds of traditional Bavarian "oom-pah" bands, the synchronized stomp of marching jackboots, and rousing songs of patriotic fervor, as German retro-fever takes the nation by force. The trendy German youths are getting Polish citizens into the act, too, issuing them passes, demanding to see papers, and strictly enforcing curfews on pain of execution by firing squad.

Grete Wunsch of Dusseldorf, one of the countless German teens embracing the current retro craze.

Despite the protests of the conquered Poles, who insist that the German retro craze is "played out," the trend shows no sign of waning any time soon. In fact, it seems to be gaining momentum, poised to sweep across all of Europe.

"The '90s are so boring. There are never any world wars anymore. That's why this retro thing is so awesome–it's finally our chance to do some of that cool stuff we missed," said Birgid Schumacher, 16, of Berlin. "I am so psyched to annex Czechoslovakia."

"Things go in cycles, ja?" said 17-year-old Otto Meine of Stuttgart, a German Youth Brigade junior officer stationed in Gdansk. "Last year, the big thing with all the kids at school was The Spice Girls, but this year it's the violation of the Treaty of Versailles. Next year, who knows? It could be the construction of massive, industrial deathcamps and the wholesale conversion of the native Jewry into soap. There's just so much great old stuff to bring back."

Meine's exuberant attitude seems to be contagious. Across Germany, young people are jumping on the retro bandwagon, wearing vintage brownshirt uniforms and attending massive "old-school" military rallies that draw hundreds of thousands to city squares.

The biggest event of the retro movement, observers say, will likely come this summer, when two million youths are expected to flock to the French border for a star-studded, three-day festival. Tentatively titled "The Claiming Of Alsace-Lorraine," the festival will feature rock bands, extreme-sports competitions, and the brutal occupation of the long-disputed French border region by Germany. Organizers are so confident the festival will be a success, plans are already underway for a follow-up event for next summer: London Blitzkrieg '99.

Despite the sudden and extreme nature of the current wave of retro fever, its young devotees insist that their love of the '30s and '40s isn't just a pose. It is, they say, a way of life.

"It's about finding real meaning, real truth, in your heritage, your nation and your race," said Berliner Klaus Hofbreit, 18. "This isn't just about the clothes I put on, or the music I listen to while marching across neighboring countries' borders. It's about finding strength in who you are and triumphing through sheer will. It's about my kultur, know what I'm saying? The totenkultur."

Added Hofbreit: "Deutschland über alles, baby!"
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Poland’s goal is the return of lost territories
By Nikolay Starikov
http://fortruss.blogspot.pt/2015/04/sta ... -lost.html

[Translated from Russian by J.Hawk]

As someone correctly realized already in ancient times, “beware of Greeks bearing gifts”! They were addressing the inhabitants of Troy, but it also applies to the citizens of contemporary Ukraine. The current Ukrainian government’s “support” by Poland is conditioned by Warsaw’s desire to catch a big “territorial” fish in the muddy waters of internal conflict in Ukraine. We are talking about nothing less than five entire regions of Western Ukraine. They are the Lvov, Ivano-Frankovsk, Tarnopol, Volyn, and Rovne Regions, which once used to be part of the Polish state.

These territories cannot be taken away as long as Ukraine is a strong, sovereign state. Therefore ask yourself a question—is Poland interested in the weakening of Ukraine? Yes. Is Poland interested in promoting lawlessness on Ukrainian lands? Very.

The Poles are splitting Ukraine into pieces together with the Americans. The former need “muddy water”, the latter a military conflict and tension on Russia’s borders. Their interests fully coincide. Therefore one should not marvel at the statements by a Polish politician who said that the “unidentified snipers” were unleashed on the Maidan by Ukraine’s “Polish friends.”

This is what we talked about on the Sputnik Radio:

Opinion: The Poles will remember the Volhyn Massacre only after they retrieve Lvov

Poland’s presidential candidate Janusz Korwin-Mikke saidthat he would like to see Ukraine as an independent state, but also as weak aspossible. Nikolay Starikov believes that the Poles want to break Ukraine into pieces in order to “swallow” the Lvov Region.

The Europarliament deputy and presidential candidate Korwin-Mikke made several controversial statements in Polish media. For example, he said that the snipers who killed 53 people on the Kiev Maidan in February 2014 were trained in Poland. According to Korwin-Mikke, Warsaw undertook these steps in order to “earn Washington’s favor.” Korwin-Mikke made one more interesting statement, when he said that he’d like to see Ukraine independent, but also as weak as possible.

According to Starikov, Poland will not abandon its plans to re-annex Ukraine’s territory so as to increase own size and influence. This is what Poland is fighting for today.

“The Polish politician did not say the whole truth. He let it slip that Poland needs weak Ukraine, but did not say why. Ukrainian nationalists forget that in Poland the nationalists are Polish, and that they remember perfectly well that part of the current territory of Ukraine, in particular Lvov, used to be part of Poland, and prior to that part of Austria-Hungary but mainly inhabited by Poles. Therefore when the Ukrainian nationalists destroyed the existing status quo inside Ukraine, they launched the process of destruction of their own state. That Ukraine which we once knew is no longer,” Starikov said on Sputnik Radio.

In his opinion, the only question is what form the break-up and liquidation of that state will take.

“Russia is against a break-up, in order to ensure Ukraine returns in its entirety to its historical place as part of the Russian civilization, while the Poles need something else to happen. The Poles want to fragment Ukraine, break it into parts, in order to swallow up the Lvov region, therefore the weaker the Ukrainian state, the more advantageous the situation is for Poland. The Poles temporarily “forgot” about the Volhyn Massacre, but they will remember it as soon as they manage to retake Lvov,” Starikov believes.
If Western Europeans were not so ignorant of Eastern European affairs, also on an historical perspective, they would be less prone to stupid opinions and policies.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

"Fort Russ" reads like a Russian version of the Onion.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

"Fort Russ" reads like a Russian version of the Onion.
Smart people pay more attention to the message than to the messenger. Unless one has some difficulty understanding the message...
noddy

Post by noddy »

choose your polish politician (left,centrer,right) based on how cute their daughters are.

terribly high brow, im sorry if i raised the level of polish discussion.

ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:choose your polish politician (left,centrer,right) based on how cute their daughters are.

vote for the one with the most callouses on her hands. Daddy raised her "right."
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Simple Minded wrote:
noddy wrote:choose your polish politician (left,centrer,right) based on how cute their daughters are.

vote for the one with the most callouses on her hands. Daddy raised her "right."
Well this sounds like we need a fact finding mission to look for callouses.

Don't worry, I'll take the hit and go there myself for...ahem...the sake of knowledge.

I promise, no Polish woman will remain unturned! :)
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: , I'll take the hit and go there myself for...ahem...the sake of knowledge.

I promise, no Polish woman will remain unturned! :)
seems you should focus on consoling the centre and left wing lasses.
Poland's conservative Law and Justice (PiS) party, led by eurosceptic Jaroslaw Kaczynski, won an absolute majority in general elections, public broadcaster TVP projected, a victory ending eight years of centrist rule.

An exit poll showed the PiS picked up 242 out of 460 seats in the lower house of parliament, ousting the governing Civic Platform (PO) liberals who had 133 seats.

Kaczynski declared victory, and his first step was to pay tribute to his twin bother, the late president Lech Kaczynski, who died in a 2010 jet crash in Smolensk, western Russia.

'Without him, we wouldn't be here today. His spirit is stronger than his body. We must keep his memory alive,' Kaczynski said, also recalling scores of Polish statesmen who perished in the crash.

'This is the first time in the history of Polish democracy that a single party has scored a majority,' he added.

- See more at: http://www.skynews.com.au/news/world/eu ... 5cL6X.dpuf
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
Poland's conservative Law and Justice (PiS) party, led by eurosceptic Jaroslaw Kaczynski, won an absolute majority in general elections, public broadcaster TVP projected, a victory ending eight years of centrist rule.

An exit poll showed the PiS picked up 242 out of 460 seats in the lower house of parliament, ousting the governing Civic Platform (PO) liberals who had 133 seats.

Kaczynski declared victory, and his first step was to pay tribute to his twin bother, the late president Lech Kaczynski, who died in a 2010 jet crash in Smolensk, western Russia.

'Without him, we wouldn't be here today. His spirit is stronger than his body. We must keep his memory alive,' Kaczynski said, also recalling scores of Polish statesmen who perished in the crash.

'This is the first time in the history of Polish democracy that a single party has scored a majority,' he added.

- See more at: http://www.skynews.com.au/news/world/eu ... 5cL6X.dpuf
Channeling the dead for guidance and leadership? As they say "If you want a new idea, read an old book!"
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

I think Poland still has a vulnerable national psyche due to their past experiences of rape: Stalin, Hitler. They are also extremely suspicious of Hijo de Putin for that reason.

Despite all that that they are doing economically very well, mainly thanks to years long investments mostly coming from Germany via EU funds. The Euro-skepticism of PIS is a bit weird in that context given how generous the EU has funded their development. That they (PIS voters) get paranoid already of the prospect of only 7000 Muslim refugee immigrants, as it would "threaten their national-Catholic identity", is somewhat sad.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

Parodite wrote:That they (PIS voters) get paranoid already of the prospect of only 7000 Muslim refugee immigrants, as it would "threaten their national-Catholic identity", is somewhat sad.
I can't say for sure, because I've not had the opportunity to discuss the matters with actual Poles.

But my guess would be that they worry less about 7,000 migrants than about the hundreds of thousands roaming freely the roads of Eastern Europe, not counting the millions more who could soon be on their way.
Heracleum Persicum

Eastern Europe must understand being part of Europe does not mean Angela payin (always) for the lunch, but comes with adhering to European culture and civilization.

And

Let's be frank, Europe and Islam pretty much old pals :lol:

Alexis

Post by Alexis »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:Eastern Europe must understand being part of Europe does not mean Angela payin (always) for the lunch, but comes with adhering to European culture and civilization.
Think before that happens, Western Europeans will have understood that Eastern Europe may have a thing or two to teach them. :)

See: Orban, Viktor. Also: Szyldo, Beata.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

Eastern Europe must understand being part of Europe does not mean Angela payin (always) for the lunch, but comes with adhering to European culture and civilization.

And

Angela is paying for lunch?
Heracleum Persicum

YMix wrote:.
Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

And

Angela is paying for lunch ?

funny you astonished

Yr ago travelled by Car from Italy to Split & Dubrovnik, both very nice places .. wonderful "brand new" Autobahn, for hrs no see of any car :lol:

Look, YMix, don't be upset, Germans paid for a lot of places, they used .. Ireland was a poor'house, till they entered EU and Germans paid the bills .. no hard feeling .. Germans consider all this a "Frieden-Steuer" :lol:

YMix

Post by YMix »

I've heard the argument before and I don't agree with it.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Are many East Europeans Wiser than Angela Merkel?

Post by monster_gardener »

Alexis wrote:
Parodite wrote:That they (PIS voters) get paranoid already of the prospect of only 7000 Muslim refugee immigrants, as it would "threaten their national-Catholic identity", is somewhat sad.
I can't say for sure, because I've not had the opportunity to discuss the matters with actual Poles.

But my guess would be that they worry less about 7,000 migrants than about the hundreds of thousands roaming freely the roads of Eastern Europe, not counting the millions more who could soon be on their way.
Thank You VERY Much for your post, Alexis.......

But my guess would be that they worry less about 7,000 migrants than about the hundreds of thousands roaming freely the roads of Eastern Europe, not counting the millions more who could soon be on their way

I suspect you are correct........

Who knows?

They may have read some of the articles you posted about the subject ;)

Including Allahu Akbar behavior at destination........ :evil:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3513&p=96124#p96124
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

To Each His Own........

Post by monster_gardener »

Parodite wrote:I think Poland still has a vulnerable national psyche due to their past experiences of rape: Stalin, Hitler. They are also extremely suspicious of Hijo de Putin for that reason.

Despite all that that they are doing economically very well, mainly thanks to years long investments mostly coming from Germany via EU funds. The Euro-skepticism of PIS is a bit weird in that context given how generous the EU has funded their development. That they (PIS voters) get paranoid already of the prospect of only 7000 Muslim refugee immigrants, as it would "threaten their national-Catholic identity", is somewhat sad.
Thank You Very Much for your post, Parodite.
only 7000 Muslim refugee immigrants
How "only" :twisted: that is depends on the nature of the refugees......

Only took two Islamist refugees to do the Boston Marathon Massacre....... :evil:

Also remembering that 19 Islamist "guests" did 911 on US...... :evil:

IMHO Syrian Christian refugees especially Syrian Catholics would be a better fit for Poland....... :idea:

And for the US........ :idea:
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light