Russia

Azrael

Re: Russia

Post by Azrael »

For those of us in need of a laugh

Spengler's unintentionally side-splitting column on Russia

Some humdingers:

"in 2008, when America backed Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili's attempt to incorporate Russian-majority provinces on Georgia's borders"

Those provinces are South Ossetia and Abkhazia, whose populations are majority Ossetian and Abkhazian, respectively, not Russian.

"In terms of technique, Moscow's performance is praiseworthy, even if its intent is malicious."

The Russian government advancing Russian interests -- how malicious!

Whose interests are they supposed to advance? :wink:

Thanks for the laughs, Spengler. I really needed them.
cultivate a white rose
YMix

Post by YMix »

Russia's lost another one:
Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych says he will sign a bill that would allow jailed former Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko to travel abroad for medical treatment.

Yanukovych said on October 17 that such a bill has been drawn up, adding, "Naturally, if parliament adopts this bill, I will sign it."

Tymoshenko was sentenced to seven years in prison in 2011 on abuse-of-office charges that were widely seen as politically motivated.

EU leaders have linked the signing of an association and free-trade agreement with Ukraine with Tymoshenko's release.

Ukraine hopes to sign the agreement at a November 28-29 summit in Vilnius.

EU Enlargement Commissioner Stefan Fuele and Tymoshenko's daughter, Yevhenia, have both said they expect Tymoshenko will be allowed to go to Germany for treatment of persistent back trouble before the summit.

Fuele said on October 17 he expected Tymoshenko will be released "before the Vilnius summit."

Yevhenia Tymoshenko told Reuters she expected her mother will leave for Germany by November 19.

EU foreign ministers are expected to sign off on the Ukraine-EU agreements on November 18.
The western near-abroad goes to the European Union and NATO.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Obviously more evidence of Obama's incompetence :wink:

One would imagine that's how Spengler sees it.
cultivate a white rose
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Azrael wrote:Obviously more evidence of Obama's incompetence :wink:

Spenglerman is starting to parody himself.

He reminds me of a so-called Soviet Union expert from Princeton Uni whose talk I attended back in in Chicago in 1991.

At this point, the Baltics were openly seeking to reestablish their independence.

The expert assured the audience that Gorbachev had the situation well under control and that the Baltics should be most grateful for the opportunity to remain in some revised Soviet federation.

Well my Baltic [Lithuanian] friend and colleague, who had invited me, stood up during the question period and explained why he gave Gorby and the SU till the end of the year.

The expert summarily dismissed this view as completely naive and unrealistic. The American audience was surprisingly hostile to my friend, I suppose due to Gorbymania.

Several months later the SU was no more, dissolved by Yeltsin, and I found myself getting drunk with the same colleague and his friends in celebration.

Many years later I visited my friend in Lithuania which was now part of the EU and NATO.

I recall that the 2nd city, Kaunas, has the largest percentage of supermodel candidate women of any place I have been :wink:
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Soviet Union Charade.....

Post by monster_gardener »

Typhoon wrote:
Azrael wrote:Obviously more evidence of Obama's incompetence :wink:

Spenglerman is starting to parody himself.

He reminds me of a so-called Soviet Union expert from Princeton Uni whose talk I attended back in in Chicago in 1991.

At this point, the Baltics were openly seeking to reestablish their independence.

The expert assured the audience that Gorbachev had the situation well under control and that the Baltics should be most grateful for the opportunity to remain in some revised Soviet federation.

Well my Baltic [Lithuanian] friend and colleague, who had invited me, stood up during the question period and explained why he gave Gorby and the SU till the end of the year.

The expert summarily dismissed this view as completely naive and unrealistic. The American audience was surprisingly hostile to my friend, I suppose due to Gorbymania.

Several months later the SU was no more, dissolved by Yeltsin, and I found myself getting drunk with the same colleague and his friends in celebration.

Many years later I visited my friend in Lithuania which was now part of the EU and NATO.

I recall that the 2nd city, Kaunas, has the largest percentage of supermodel candidate women of any place I have been :wink:
Thank You VERY Much for your post, Typhoon.

This reminds me of an non-fiction article which Robert Heinlein wrote about the Soviet Union based on a visit he and his wife made before it fell. Based on counting the number of barges on the river (far too few) and chats his wife had with Russian women, Heinlein came to the conclusion that the Soviet Union/Russia was NOT the power house, especially the economic power, it was portrayed as being in the media of the time....

It did have nuclear weapons, a large army, and a space program :) ........

Heinlein believed that the US Intelligence community knew this but was willing to let the charade continue
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Azrael

interesting facts about Russia

Post by Azrael »

Udmurtia in Russia appears to be a hot-spot for red hair.
Last edited by Azrael on Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cultivate a white rose
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Why Russia Needs a Powerful Iran

Not only Russia, but America too needs a powerful Iran, as much if not more than Russia

Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Technology Expert Sees Fear of Failure Inhibiting Russian Innovation

Excerpt:

>> Despite its extraordinary scientific capacity, a stated desire to be competitive and the availability of capital, it may take several generations before Russia's investment in innovation will bear fruit, a report by MIT on the country's role in global innovation shows.

Russia has many of the necessary elements to take its place next to the U.S. and China as one of the great developers of global technologies, said Jason Pontin, editor-in-chief of MIT's Technology Review, which conducted the research.

But there are things that Russia is doing to encourage innovation that are really not best practice, he said in an interview.

"I did not know how idiosyncratic Russia's understanding of the innovation process was," Pontin said. "I admire Medvedev's commitment to making Russia a technological center of the world. Russia does have the intellectual capacity to do it." But there is an important aspect of corporate governance here that puts Russian technology entrepreneurs at a disadvantage, he added.

"If your company goes bankrupt in the U.S., and you are a founder, you are not personally responsible for the bankruptcy. But [this scenario] does not exist in Russia. And as long as Russian entrepreneurs feel that they are personally at risk … it forces them to fear failure. And the great point about being an entrepreneur and an innovator is you have to not care about failure. In fact, you have to know that failure is a good thing," he said.

"But in this country, failure is terrifying. And for a good reason as well — you can go to jail!" <<
cultivate a white rose
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

World Bank Ranks Russia Top BRIC In 'Ease Of Doing Business' Index

>> Russia is a country that is never short of drama. Whether it’s an artist nailing his scrotum to the pavement in Red Square or the trial of Greenpeace activists, you never need to look very hard for a compelling story (or for stuff that is just plain weird).

But the reason I really love writing about Russia is that the place has an absolutely uncanny knack for making a hash out of the standard-issue Western narratives. Whether it’s the demographic decline that wasn’t or the non-brain-drain, Russia just does not comport with what Westerners think it should be.

The latest sphere in which this disconnect between narrative and reality is visible is economics. Russia, in the story told by places like The Economist, the Wall Street Journal, or even the Financial Times’ editorial page, is doomed to ever-slower economic growth because of its lack of structural reform. Only by cutting red tape, unleashing the energy of the free market, and restraining the dead hand of the state will Russia’s GDP get its groove back. And it goes without saying that, in the standard telling, the Kremlin is uninterested in reform because it benefits greatly from the corrupt status quo and is terrified of what would happen if it ever loosened its grip. So you have a situation in which reform is desperately needed but simply will not occur.

The odd thing, however, is that over the past several years Russia actually has embarked on some meaningful economic reforms. The World Bank lauded Russia as one of its “most improved” countries in the 2013 version of its ease of doing business index. Russia moved up 19 places over the past year (to a still less than stellar 92) and is actually now the top-ranked BRIC, coming out ahead of China (96), Brazil (116), and India (134). Over the past 3 years, Russia has moved up a grand total of 31 places, making it the “biggest mover in its peer group.” This is improvement from a pretty low base (it’s perfectly fair to say that Russia’s earlier rankings in the index were downright bad) but it is improvement nonetheless. Countries do not make as much movement in the World Bank’s index as Russia has simply by doing nothing. <<

Follow link for the rest of the column
cultivate a white rose
Yeremiya

New Wave in Russian Art: Sochialist Realism

Post by Yeremiya »

Artist: Vasіlі Slonov
Exhibition: "Welcome! Sochi 2014"

Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Quote of the year:

“The death penalty is an ineffective punishment for a person who blows himself up”
(...) Ramzan Kadyrov, the head of the Chechen Republic in Russia’s turbulent North Caucuses, has also urged the parliament to “infinitely increase the penalty for those, who not only commits terrorist acts, but share the ideas of the terrorists, spread their ideology and train them.”

“I’m absolutely sure that we won’t cope with this evil by playing democracy and humanity,” Kadyrov wrote on his Instagram page.

The return of capital punishment was also supported by United Russia MP, Irina Yarovaya, who heads the Duma Security Committee.

However, Pavel Krasheninnikov, chairman of the State Duma's Legislation Committee, said that such an initiative hasn’t been discussed within the United Russia party.

“The death penalty is an ineffective punishment for a person who blows himself up,” he stressed.

Krasheninnikov said that reinstatement of capital punishment “won’t affect terrorism and other crimes,” suggesting that the law enforcement and security agencies should train more to be able to prevent future attacks. (...)

http://rt.com/politics/russia-death-pen ... orism-982/
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

Endovelico wrote:Quote of the year:

“The death penalty is an ineffective punishment for a person who blows himself up”
Granted, but death can be an effective deterrent for those who radicalize young people and use them as human bombs to further their agendas.

The ideologues and financiers of Wahhabism and Jihadism do not expect to die themselves. They want others to do the dying "for God" (in fact, for them).
They should be very sensitive to risk of death.

That being said, given the globalized nature of that ideology and its financing, the legal system is probably not the right tool to effect such a "deterrence by death" strategy. Secret services are a better tool.

By the way, I'm told that Russia has a better secret service than it has a legal system. And its present president is a former secret service guy himself.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Alexis wrote:

Granted, but death can be an effective deterrent for those who radicalize young people and use them as human bombs to further their agendas.

The ideologues and financiers of Wahhabism and Jihadism do not expect to die themselves. They want others to do the dying "for God" (in fact, for them).

That being said, given the globalized nature of that ideology and its financing, the legal system is probably not the right tool to effect such a "deterrence by death" strategy. Secret services are a better tool.

By the way, I'm told that Russia has a better secret service than it has a legal system. And its present president is a former secret service guy himself.
The US, on the other hand, spends a fortune fighting wahhabism at the periphery, trying to mitigate the symptoms, while pointedly avoiding dealing with the cause: funding from Saudi Arabia.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Alexis wrote:

The US, on the other hand, spends a fortune fighting wahhabism at the periphery, trying to mitigate the symptoms, while pointedly avoiding dealing with the cause: funding from Saudi Arabia.
You make a very interesting point But let me put more of a point on it. The first largest oil exporting country is Saudi Arabia with 7.6 billion barrels . The second largest oil exporting country is Russia with 5 billion barrels Third is Iran 2.5 billion barrels. (all per year) For Putin destroying Saudi Arabia and its oil exports is a win - win situation. For the rest of the world it would be a disaster. But for Russia it would level the playing field.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

Doc wrote:You make a very interesting point But let me put more of a point on it. The first largest oil exporting country is Saudi Arabia with 7.6 billion barrels . The second largest oil exporting country is Russia with 5 billion barrels Third is Iran 2.5 billion barrels. (all per year) For Putin destroying Saudi Arabia and its oil exports is a win - win situation. For the rest of the world it would be a disaster. But for Russia it would level the playing field.
True, however I can't imagine Russia "destroying" Saudi Arabia. The protector of SA is a country with the most powerful military on Earth, this should be reminded.

However, if Putin chooses to send a strong message to Saudi rulers, he can do it with far more surgical means than by attacking a whole country.

As an example, he could order the killing of a series of low-rank or middle-rank members of the royal family. The House of Saud includes thousands of members (result of polygamy over several generations). Those people often travel, study or have fun outside of the Kingdom, and then they are fairly vulnerable. Attacking some of those people would of course means attacking innocents, but I'm not sure this would stop Russian government (...nor the US nor any European government, to be honest). And making clear the lives of House of Saud members are on the line every time a Caucasus Jihadist attacks Russian civilians would I'm sure enable Putin to get the full attention of the Saudi government, making it a bit more interested in restricting Saudi gifts to Jihadists and telling Bandar to lower the temperature a notch or two (or ten)

I'm not saying this precisely is what will happen. What I'm pretty sure of is that there will be a reaction from Russia to the recent Volgograd attacks, and I suspect Saudi Arabian rulers won't like it.

As to what it will be, I'm not going to pretend a mere French engineer has as much imagination as a Russian master spy...
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

A Different Breed of GREAT SATAN:Bad News Russian Bears.....

Post by monster_gardener »

Alexis wrote:
Doc wrote:You make a very interesting point But let me put more of a point on it. The first largest oil exporting country is Saudi Arabia with 7.6 billion barrels . The second largest oil exporting country is Russia with 5 billion barrels Third is Iran 2.5 billion barrels. (all per year) For Putin destroying Saudi Arabia and its oil exports is a win - win situation. For the rest of the world it would be a disaster. But for Russia it would level the playing field.
True, however I can't imagine Russia "destroying" Saudi Arabia. The protector of SA is a country with the most powerful military on Earth, this should be reminded.

However, if Putin chooses to send a strong message to Saudi rulers, he can do it with far more surgical means than by attacking a whole country.

As an example, he could order the killing of a series of low-rank or middle-rank members of the royal family. The House of Saud includes thousands of members (result of polygamy over several generations). Those people often travel, study or have fun outside of the Kingdom, and then they are fairly vulnerable. Attacking some of those people would of course means attacking innocents, but I'm not sure this would stop Russian government (...nor the US nor any European government, to be honest). And making clear the lives of House of Saud members are on the line every time a Caucasus Jihadist attacks Russian civilians would I'm sure enable Putin to get the full attention of the Saudi government, making it a bit more interested in restricting Saudi gifts to Jihadists and telling Bandar to lower the temperature a notch or two (or ten)

I'm not saying this precisely is what will happen. What I'm pretty sure of is that there will be a reaction from Russia to the recent Volgograd attacks, and I suspect Saudi Arabian rulers won't like it.

As to what it will be, I'm not going to pretend a mere French engineer has as much imagination as a Russian master spy...
A Different Breed of GREAT SATAN: Bad News Russian Bears' Black Ops BAD News for Terrorists.......

Thank You VERY MUCH for your post, Alexis.

I suspect you are quite right....

Recalling the Lebanon Hostage Crisis years ago....

When the Islamic Kidnappers decided to expand operations to Russians instead of just Americans & Euros...

The story goes that the KGB found and kidnapped the brother of one of the kidnap gangs and sent back a photo of him with a gun pointed at his head....

And no more Russians were kidnapped....

Let me see if I can find a link....

WOW!......

More intense than I expected.....

Wonder if Putin had anything to do with this....... :shock:

But better than trying to gain good will & hostage release by selling weapons to Iran..... :roll:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran%E2%80%93Contra_affair

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_R. ... and_murder
As related here in a column two years ago, the Soviets were victims of a hostage-taking operation only once in Lebanon. But the way they handled it left a lasting impression on the Shiite gangsters.

Since some inaccurate versions of that episode have been popping up on talk radio in the wake of the Higgins kidnapping, the rest of this space is given over to a summary of what really happened, as first disclosed in the Jan. 6, 1986, Jerusalem Post by reporter Benny Morris.

In late September 1985, pro-Iranian Shiites put the snatch on four attaches

from the Russian Embassy in Beirut and warned that the hostages would be executed, one by one, unless the Soviets persuaded pro-Syrian militiamen to stop shelling Hezbollah strongholds in the Lebanese port city of Tripoli.

On that occasion, the "Oppressed of the Earth" were billing themselves as agents of the hitherto unknown "Islamic Liberation Organization," but the KBG had no doubts about who they really were.

Although the Soviets attempted to open channels for quiet negotiations, there was no let-up in the shellings. Only two days after the kidnappings, the body of one of the four hostages was found, shot through the head, on a Beirut trash dump.

So much for quiet negotiations. Having gotten the message, the Soviets decided to send one back.

KGB agents ran the name of a prominent Hezbollah leader through their computers and came up with the name and address of one of his closest blood relatives. They then kidnapped the kinsman, castrated him, and sent his severed organs to the Hezbollah honcho.

The package was accompanied by a terse cover note indicating that the KGB had the names of other close relatives and that Hezbollah could expect more such deliveries unless the three remaining hostages were freed forthwith.

It didn't take much time for Hezbollah to realize it was dealing with a different breed of "Great Satan". The three surviving hostages were dropped off only 150 yards from the Soviet Embassy from a late-model BMW that couldn't drive away fast enough.

Gorbachev didn't call a press conference to brag about what bad-asses his boys were, but Hezbollah obviously concluded that challenging the Russians could lead to more painful consequences than simply losing face.

It's worth noting that this was the last anyone ever heard of the "Islamic Liberation Organization."

By not-so-remarkable coincidence, it was also the last time Hezbollah ever messed with any Soviets in Lebanon.

http://articles.philly.com/1988-02-26/n ... -hezbollah
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

Russian church proposes referendum on gay relationship ban
Church spokesman Vsevolod Chaplin pointed to polls showing more than a third of Russians view homosexuality as an illness as a sign that the country was ready to revert to a Soviet-era homosexual ban.
"There is no question that society should discuss this issue since we live in a democracy," Chaplin told the online edition of the pro-government Izvestia daily.
"For this reason, it is precisely the majority of our people and not some outside powers that should decide what should be a criminal offence and what should not," he said.
(...)
Chaplin -- known for his outspoken views but also an influential member of Russian religious community who airs weekly shows on state TV -- claimed that most countries viewed homosexual relationships as a crime.
"I am convinced that such sexual contacts should be completely excluded from the life of our society," said the Church spokesman.
"If we manage to do this through moral pressure, all the better. But if we need to revert to assistance from the law, then let us ask the people if they are ready for this."
Ban on homosexual relationships was lifted only 1993 in Russia.

Chaplin (Vsevolod) proposes to reintroduce it.

I preferred Charlie... :roll:
Heracleum Persicum

Alexis wrote:

Church spokesman Vsevolod Chaplin pointed to polls showing more than a third of Russians view homosexuality as an illness . .

Am sure, if polled in west, @least a third would say homosexuality a sexual abnormality, if not more

Now, heterosexuals, bit by bit, getting really pissed off getting bullied by homosexual lobby

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/201 ... -opposite/

A socially conservative Canadian could be forgiven for asking: what the hell is going on? Once, long ago, the issue was dirty movies and premarital sex. But now ? Surely Sodom and Gomorrah are upon us.

The changes in the social landscape in the last few years must strike many as overwhelming. As late as 1969, abortion and homosexuality were still illegal, and even after the Supreme Court’s 1988 Morgentaler decision, the situation remained comparatively manageable. Beyond abortion, the social conservative “agenda” amounted to “please don’t make things worse.”

This was more or less the understanding on which they supported Stephen Harper. If he offered them nothing on abortion, at least he would not preside over a further assault on traditional norms and common values.

Yet it is under this prime minister that gay marriage was confirmed, after Parliament declined to draft new legislation in response to court judgments striking down the old marriage law. Now the laws governing prostitution have been similarly tossed aside. Drug legalization is sure to be the next battleground, and beyond that ? Assisted suicide ? Polygamy ?

Bravo, Putin, Bravo

and

Seems,

RCC rotten by homos,

only hope left

is

Russian Orthodox Church

YMix

Post by YMix »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:Bravo, Putin, Bravo and

Seems, RCC rotten by homos, only hope left is Russian Orthodox Church
You can bet your a$$ that the leadership of the Russian Orthodox Church is an unofficial directorate within the FSB. It certainly was back in the day and old habits don't die in 23 years.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:Am sure, if polled in west, @least a third would say homosexuality a sexual abnormality, if not more
And?

Whatever one's opinion of homosexuality, criminalizing homosexual relations is bonkers.

I know it was deemed a crime in Anglo Saxon countries until the 20th century, and it is still considered a crime in large parts of the Middle East, following the ideas of Mohamed.

In France it stopped being considered a crime at the time of the Revolution. Mocked, yes, taken in pity, yes. But not criminalized.
RCC rotten by homos,

only hope left

is

Russian Orthodox Church
Orthodox priests and faithful are just good people, without any problem whatsoever.

I am more reserved about the highest leadership of the Russian Orthodox Church. Too much within control of the State, and too rich... the latter being linked with the former.
Heracleum Persicum

Alexis wrote:.
Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

Am sure, if polled in west, @least a third would say homosexuality a sexual abnormality, if not more

And ?

Whatever one's opinion of homosexuality, criminalizing homosexual relations is bonkers.

I know it was deemed a crime in Anglo Saxon countries until the 20th century, and it is still considered a crime in large parts of the Middle East, following the ideas of Mohamed.

In France it stopped being considered a crime at the time of the Revolution. Mocked, yes, taken in pity, yes. But not criminalized.

Neither Islam, nor Mohamed said anything about "homosexuality", let alone criminalizing it

and

homosexuals marry for 1000s of yrs in Afghanistan and India and and and

not so in west,

homosexuality was criminalized in west, being "explicitly" a SIN in Christianity

but

Alexis,

that not the issue

nobody saying one should criminalize homosexuality

on the other hand .. it ain't a "lifestyle" nor a "preference" .. it is a sexual "disorder"

Alexis

Post by Alexis »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:nobody saying one should criminalize homosexuality
That's precisely what Chaplin said! He proposed that homosexuality be criminalized again in Russia. And that's what I reacted to.
Please re-read the Chaplin opinion.
on the other hand .. it ain't a "lifestyle" nor a "preference" .. it is a sexual "disorder"
I happen to agree with you on that.

However, the point was that such acts should not be criminalized, such as it still is in many predominantly Muslim countries like Iran, not to speak of Saudi Arabia.
Heracleum Persicum

Russian intelligence has now obtained solid proof that Saudi Arabia was directly involved in the twin terror attacks on the city of Volgograd.

If the Russians have acquired hard evidence of Saudi collusion in terrorism on their soil, there is firm legal ground for Russia to exact retaliation under the doctrine of self-defense.

In a second meeting between Bandar and Putin, the Russian leader reportedly told the Saudi in no uncertain terms that his support for terrorism was “a double-edged sword” that would eventually inflict damage on those who wield it.

YMix

Post by YMix »

Well, if the Russians say it, it must be true. :|

Also:
[...] President Putin was livid in his disgust at the attacks. He said there was no justification, whatsoever, for the killing of innocent civilians [...]
:lol: