France

noddy

Re: France

Post by noddy »

after brexit and trump the globalists are terrified of it continuing.

expect lots of babble about "wise & mature" frenchies.
ultracrepidarian
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

noddy wrote:expect lots of babble about "wise & mature" frenchies.
Initial estimates are Macron @ 62%.

"Wise & Mature", indeed :| ... (not)

Expect Macron more contested than Hollande six months from now. More hated than Hollande ever was, one year from now. If that.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Alexis wrote:

Expect Macron more contested than Hollande six months from now. More hated than Hollande ever was, one year from now. If that.

Was a mistake .. big mistake .. this was not battle of personalities but policies .. Macron is same policies as B4 .. will lead to even worst
situation down the road.

Last edited by Heracleum Persicum on Sun May 07, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Le Pen is going to be wiped out, correct? Any idea why so much drama?
The paranoid but plausible explanation being that the established contingency is attempting a manufacturing of consent. By calling it a horse race and then have 2/3 vote Macron makes it seem like there is a big wave of support for the status quo. Everyone who disagrees is dangerous, racists, fascists, mentally ill, and extremists who are against all science and progress. In an earlier time they would also be called revisionists, traitors to the people and sent to the gulags.

So maybe there has been progress.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Alexis wrote:

So switching from Hollandaise to Macrononi is not will not improve the flavour of French political cuisine.

I presume you expect this to occur because Macron will prove to be a continuation of the status quo and that issues that lead to Le Pen being a
runoff candidate will continue to be unaddressed or possibly made worse.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Personally I wrote off France when hollande was elected last time. Le pen was fun coming in 2nd but France becoming an Islamic Republic mired in economic backwardness was evident long ago. RIP France, we hardly knew you.
Censorship isn't necessary
Heracleum Persicum

Good luck, Mr Macron.
You will need it

Seconded .. :lol:

He leads a nation in trouble, whose public is often more anxious and angry than confident and trustful. He must make innovative centrist government work on a continent where many have despaired of it. His own future depends on him living up to his promises. Many others, here as in France itself, have an equal stake in his success.

We will C

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Personally I wrote off France when hollande was elected last time. Le pen was fun coming in 2nd but France becoming an Islamic Republic mired in economic backwardness was evident long ago. RIP France, we hardly knew you.
Always good for a funny ha ha.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Heracleum Persicum

The China Card

. . many Chinese commentators introduced the 39-year-old Macron as a keen student of modern Chinese history with a deep interest in two of the nation’s most influential leaders: Mao Zedong and Deng Xiaoping.

China could be big investor in France .. many possibilities.

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

BBC | France polls: Macron's party wins clear parliamentary majority
French President Emmanuel Macron's party has won a clear parliamentary majority, results show, weeks after his own presidential victory.
With nearly all votes counted, his La République en Marche, alongside its MoDem allies, won more than 300 seats in the 577-seat National Assembly.
The party was formed just over a year ago, and half of its candidates have little or no political experience.

The result has swept aside all of the mainstream parties and gives the 39-year-old president a strong mandate in parliament to pursue his pro-EU, business-friendly reform plans.
Des temps intéressants.
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

Typhoon wrote:Des temps intéressants.
Interesting indeed:

- Macron's party won 350+ seats among 577. A clear majority which will put him out of reach of any realistic possibility for a group of his MPs to resist one of his laws. Also, many of those MPs are young, inexperienced, and owe him everything. This, while traditional parties are in coma and non-traditional ones (far right, far left) have few MPs.

- On the other hand, abstention was more than 57%, and taking into account "blank votes" more than 61%. Which is absolutely unprecedented.

The French people is presently cowed and submissive. Or, is it in a state of cold and silent rebellion?

Meanwhile, the government is preparing the first shots of its pro-business anti-poor revolution. And has to be changed in a hurry because of the first corruption scandals.

At some point, somebody will have a rude awakening. Don't know who nor when.
Heracleum Persicum

Alexis wrote:
Typhoon wrote:Des temps intéressants.
Interesting indeed:

- Macron's party won 350+ seats among 577. A clear majority which will put him out of reach of any realistic possibility for a group of his MPs to resist one of his laws. Also, many of those MPs are young, inexperienced, and owe him everything. This, while traditional parties are in coma and non-traditional ones (far right, far left) have few MPs.

- On the other hand, abstention was more than 57%, and taking into account "blank votes" more than 61%. Which is absolutely unprecedented.

The French people is presently cowed and submissive. Or, is it in a state of cold and silent rebellion?

Meanwhile, the government is preparing the first shots of its pro-business anti-poor revolution. And has to be changed in a hurry because of the first corruption scandals.

At some point, somebody will have a rude awakening. Don't know who nor when.

France should woe the Banking community from London .. Paris wonderful for all those IBs

Was lately in Bordeaux .. once competing with London .. france can replace London finance centre

Good wine, excellent food, wonderful girls .. excellent for IBs

Alexis

Post by Alexis »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:France should woe the Banking community from London .. Paris wonderful for all those IBs

Was lately in Bordeaux .. once competing with London .. france can replace London finance centre

Good wine, excellent food, wonderful girls .. excellent for IBs
I like Bordeaux too. :)

About replacing London as finance center... we'll see. Everybody and their cousin on the Continent wants to do that :mrgreen:
Heracleum Persicum

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... l-provence
France Air force chief accused of using fighter jet to fly home at weekends

The distance by road from Bordeaux, in the south-west of France, to the attractive town of Salon-de-Provence in the south-east is 373 miles (600km), a journey that with luck and an absence of embouteillages (traffic jams) will take between five and six hours.

The train takes at least seven, and a commercial flight just over one, plus a half-hour drive from Marseille airport. So for weekends away at his place in Provence, the acting commander-in-chief of the French airforce took a fighter jet instead, according to the investigative and satirical weekly Le Canard Enchaîné.

Le Canard reported that Gen Richard Reboul has requisitioned an air force Alpha jet on “about 10 occasions” since August to fly from his training academy base in Bordeaux to his country property near Salon-de-Provence and back.

“Information on the improper use of air force resources by a senior military officer has come to the attention of the minister,” the defence ministry in Paris said on Tuesday, announcing a full inquiry into the allegations.

The inquiry will “clarify the facts and verify the circumstances of such use, both in this case and generally”, and allow the defence minister, Florence Parly, to “draw the necessary conclusions, including those of a disciplinary nature”, the ministry said in a statement.

The air force has also opened an internal investigation after the Canard’s suggestion that as recently as last weekend, Reboul “borrowed” a six-seater TBM-400 transport plane, complete with pilot and copilot, for the same journey.

Made by France’s Dassault and Germany’s Dornier, the Alpha jet is a light attack and advanced trainer aircraft used by the French air force aerobatic display team, La Patrouille de France, and to train fighter pilots. It has a top speed of 620 mph and guzzles about 175 gallons (800 litres) of fuel an hour.

:lol:

Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... l-provence
France Air force chief accused of using fighter jet to fly home at weekends

The distance by road from Bordeaux, in the south-west of France, to the attractive town of Salon-de-Provence in the south-east is 373 miles (600km), a journey that with luck and an absence of embouteillages (traffic jams) will take between five and six hours.

The train takes at least seven, and a commercial flight just over one, plus a half-hour drive from Marseille airport. So for weekends away at his place in Provence, the acting commander-in-chief of the French airforce took a fighter jet instead, according to the investigative and satirical weekly Le Canard Enchaîné.

Le Canard reported that Gen Richard Reboul has requisitioned an air force Alpha jet on “about 10 occasions” since August to fly from his training academy base in Bordeaux to his country property near Salon-de-Provence and back.

“Information on the improper use of air force resources by a senior military officer has come to the attention of the minister,” the defence ministry in Paris said on Tuesday, announcing a full inquiry into the allegations.

The inquiry will “clarify the facts and verify the circumstances of such use, both in this case and generally”, and allow the defence minister, Florence Parly, to “draw the necessary conclusions, including those of a disciplinary nature”, the ministry said in a statement.

The air force has also opened an internal investigation after the Canard’s suggestion that as recently as last weekend, Reboul “borrowed” a six-seater TBM-400 transport plane, complete with pilot and copilot, for the same journey.

Made by France’s Dassault and Germany’s Dornier, the Alpha jet is a light attack and advanced trainer aircraft used by the French air force aerobatic display team, La Patrouille de France, and to train fighter pilots. It has a top speed of 620 mph and guzzles about 175 gallons (800 litres) of fuel an hour.

:lol:

Madame Reboul must be exquisite.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Heracleum Persicum wrote:The inquiry will “clarify the facts and verify the circumstances of such use, both in this case and generally”, and allow the defence minister, Florence Parly, to “draw the necessary conclusions, including those of a disciplinary nature”, the ministry said in a statement.
Madame Reboul must be exquisite.
In his defense, at least he was using public resources so as to get to his family... not a more discreet companion. :mrgreen:

Not sure that this "family man" defense will be enough to convince the minister, though.

Here he is, maybe trying to explain all of it with his hands? :P

NapLajoieonSteroids

so what is behind all the chatter in the English-language press about Mr.Macron being a Bonapartist; flirting with restoring the king; breaking republican traditions left and right?
NapLajoieonSteroids

“a remote, dignified figure, like the Roman god of gods, who weighs his rare pronouncements carefully”.

So yeah, President Macron has decided he shall rule like Jupiter.

This is something that normal people say all the time. :?
noddy

Post by noddy »

well noone actually believes in the rhetoric of middle path democracy anymore, compromise is triangulation - i cant think of any younger than boomer that thinks the system is better for the other side existing.

the race towards who reverts back to the authoritarian model has been on for over a decade, maybe france will be first.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote:well noone actually believes in the rhetoric of middle path democracy anymore, compromise is triangulation - i cant think of any younger than boomer that thinks the system is better for the other side existing.

the race towards who reverts back to the authoritarian model has been on for over a decade, maybe france will be first.
that would certainly be a twist
YMix

Post by YMix »

TEHRAN — The French carmaker Renault signed a multimillion-dollar deal in Tehran on Monday, agreeing to raise vehicle production in Iran just days after President Trump signed into law new sanctions against the country.

The roughly $780 million agreement to produce as many as 150,000 additional cars a year is the largest foreign auto deal in Iran’s history, state-run PressTV said. It was a victory for President Hassan Rouhani, who was sworn into office on Saturday after being re-elected this year promising to revitalize an economy hurt by sanctions.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/07/busi ... tions.html

I think it's safe to say that France won't be supporting USA's push for sanctions against Iran.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Heracleum Persicum

YMix wrote:.
TEHRAN — The French carmaker Renault signed a multimillion-dollar deal in Tehran on Monday, agreeing to raise vehicle production in Iran just days after President Trump signed into law new sanctions against the country.

The roughly $780 million agreement to produce as many as 150,000 additional cars a year is the largest foreign auto deal in Iran’s history, state-run PressTV said. It was a victory for President Hassan Rouhani, who was sworn into office on Saturday after being re-elected this year promising to revitalize an economy hurt by sanctions.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/07/busi ... tions.html

I think it's safe to say that France won't be supporting USA's push for sanctions against Iran.

This now official .. openly announced :

Franc count on Iran to bring "growth" to French (and German) economy .. Iran will be the engine to pull France up in traditional industries, Cars (Renault, Peugeot will produce 2.5 million car in Iran per year), trains , Plane (Airbus will be main plane seller, Boeing will fall back), Alistom electric etc etc .. Total and other european Oil/Gas will dominate, American companies are invited but by law can not participate .. Trump inflicting big damage on US companies.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

How soon they fall.

Irish Times | Revolt over high fuel prices threatens to paralyse France
Rise of the ‘gilets jaunes’ coincides with Macron’s record low 26% approval rating.
Macron must envy Trump's approval rating.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Colonel Sun wrote:How soon they fall.

Irish Times | Revolt over high fuel prices threatens to paralyse France
Rise of the ‘gilets jaunes’ coincides with Macron’s record low 26% approval rating.
Macron must envy Trump's approval rating.
"Selfish people, those who think of themselves as ME, rather than an infinitesimally small subset of WE, are the cause of all social problems." (TM)

" “We choose to tax pollution and harmful products rather than workers,” budget minister Gérald Darmanin explains. "

This is brilliant. Making pollution and harmful products pay taxes rather than workers pay taxes is a win-win for everyone.

" Yet the fuel taxes penalise the poor disproportionately. In the hope of deflating the protests, prime minister Édouard Philippe on Wednesday announced €500 million of compensatory measures, including a €5,000 bonus for low-income earners who trade in polluting cars for a hybrid model. "

Imitating Obama era "cash for clunkers" which destroyed the supply of affordable used cars for the working class is not going to pan out well here either. Can you say "auto industry subsidy" in French?