Haitian Civil War Thread

Enki

Haitian Civil War Thread

Post by Enki »

Martelly is rebuilding the army. Duvalier and Aristide are building private armies. PM resigned.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Demon of Undoing

Re: Haitian Civil War Thread

Post by Demon of Undoing »

Thats just great. The last thing Haiti needed to become the Congo has been put in place( battling warlords).

The poor genuflecting people. They can't catch a break.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Yup, and the Haitian people hate the MINUSTAH Brazilian forces because they are kind of being gangsters in Haiti. So when the UN contingent from Brazil leaves it's just going to erupt.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

This is what happens when you turn away from the Lord and make a pact with Satan.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Zack Morris wrote:This is what happens when you turn away from the Lord and make a pact with Satan.
Well it was either take the $ 150,000,000 franc debt or have French warships stop you from trading with anybody.
-Alexander Hamilton
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Enki wrote:
Zack Morris wrote:This is what happens when you turn away from the Lord and make a pact with Satan.
Well it was either take the $ 150,000,000 franc debt or have French warships stop you from trading with anybody.
No, no, no. Those darkies chose jungle rythms and sloth over God and got what they deserved!

*snaps out of it*

Whoa! I think I was being voodoo-manipulated by someone over on the Spengler forum! Freaky!

But yeah, I feel real bad for what's happening to those folks in Haiti. No relief in sight for them.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Domincan Republic's Trees saved by Joquain Balaguer

Post by monster_gardener »

AIUI you can tell the border between Haiti & the Dominican Republic by the tree line.

Per Jared Diamond, Joquain Balaguer, protegee of Rafael Trujillo*, saved the Dominican Republic from Haiti's fate by enforcing the laws against rip off exploitation of the forests even against his own supporters..........

For all their faults :( , the Dominican Republic :) has often had better leaders :) than Haiti........ :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jared_Diamond

*Rafael ;) was one of the few Angels :wink: who were willing to take refugee Jews during the Nazi era........
Long may he be honored for doing so............. :D
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Enki

Post by Enki »

Trujillo was a monster who imported Jews because he wanted to 'whiten' the population. Lets not get it twisted. Good for those Jews that escaped the holocaust but Trujillo was a despicable beast. He would go around the DR and any woman he saw that he liked he'd take from her family (regardless of age) or husband, and genuflect her until he got bored then return her. Evil.

But yeah, Haiti is in a bad way. I would like to say that this Civil War might end with a new dawn for Haiti, but since it has a cyclical history of them, I can't really be too optimistic.
-Alexander Hamilton
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

States with no functioning institutions all look like this. Haiti, Somalia, Congo. The reasons for the ongoing problems are clear, and the reasons for the breakdowns are also relatively clear (once you cancel out all the morality tales), but its not clear how to improve the situation.

I can't think of an example of a country that has sunk to this level of chaos that has been brought out of it. Other national basket-cases still had some surviving institutions or traditions to graft reform on to (e.g. the improvement in Colombia in the past ten years).