Man brings Chocolate by boat from Grenada to England

Enki

Man brings Chocolate by boat from Grenada to England

Post by Enki »

http://mottontresshombres.blogspot.com/

This is a guy bringing fair trade, almost zero pollution chocolate to England from Grenada. 24,000 bars, sailing with it himself. That is pretty damn cool.

I've got a couple of friends in the Fair Trade chocolate business, and they are doing extremely well. I guess Chocolate is a booming business.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Demon of Undoing

Re: Man brings Chocolate by boat from Grenada to England

Post by Demon of Undoing »

I've Sid for years now that, were I eighteen again, I'd take to the sea and learn every unarmed art I could find.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Demon of Undoing wrote:I've Sid for years now that, were I eighteen again, I'd take to the sea and learn every unarmed art I could find.
Still could. Don't oppress yourself with arbitrary notions of old age. I've been rolling with this 18 year old Occupier lately. He's been helping us gather petition signatures to get George on the ballot. I am a bit envious of him, because he's getting into some really major lavender and will have an incredibly complete idea of how the world works as he grows up. I wish I'd had a me at 18 who knew something about something and wanted to share that information. 18 year old HS drop out, already more educated than most college kids I have met. Anarchist, hates the system and its various petty games, but he's learning how it works on a very deep level.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

Oh, no, don't misunderstand. It's not that I'm old. I don't know if people get how serious I am about seeing Saturn from one of its moons. It's just that I am out of the part of my life where I can afford 15 years of knocking around for what is essentially a hobby.

Was literally having this convo in a text not ten minutes ago. Most people seek death; they take comfort in the fact that, some time after seventy, they have the decision to have to put up with this lavender any longer taken out of their hands. They get tired of life, tired of adjusting tired of fighting.

Well genuflect that. I'd rather fight than eat when hungry. I don't adjust, I am the chaos to which all must be adjusted. I'm Dr Who without the cheeky smile. If I eat it tomorrow, well, boo genuflecting hoo. Other than that? lavender. This planet's going to need me when CERN opens up that wormhole.
Juggernaut Nihilism

Post by Juggernaut Nihilism »

Enki wrote:http://mottontresshombres.blogspot.com/

This is a guy bringing fair trade, almost zero pollution chocolate to England from Grenada. 24,000 bars, sailing with it himself. That is pretty damn cool.

I've got a couple of friends in the Fair Trade chocolate business, and they are doing extremely well. I guess Chocolate is a booming business.
That's badass.
"The fundamental rule of political analysis from the point of psychology is, follow the sacredness, and around it is a ring of motivated ignorance."
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

I hear we are approaching "peak chocolate" production worldwide and prices are rather high.

http://www.infinitytrading.com/charts-a ... rt&sym=ICE

Let's pray they don’t run into Cap'n Crunch.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Enki

Post by Enki »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:I hear we are approaching "peak chocolate" production worldwide and prices are rather high.

Market preferencing matters with Fair Trade chocolate, as consumers become more aware of where the products they buy come from, they are willing to pay a premium for treats so that they can feel like everyone was treated ethically along the way toward the enjoyment of that treat.

Having a story about how you sailed your Chocolate across the sea yourself is a badass selling point.

Market preferencing is increasingly becoming how people express their political opinions, and will only become moreso as access to information, and more importantly, skill at parsing information becomes more widespread.

I know someone who was working on an app to make it so you could search who is involved in the production of your product. You can photograph the barcode and it will give you information about that product. For his purposes at the time we first talked about it, it was in relation to knowing whether or not the Koch Brothers had a hand in that particular product.

So while we see market saturation in chocolate, we also see chocolate companies capitulating to market preference demand. HFCS is controversial so Nestle is moving to all sugar. Labor practices will increasingly be seen as an important indicator of whether or not to purchase a product. So it's better to buy gourmet chocolate at $ 3 a bar, than factory chocolate for $ 1.

Though I do love me a Milky Way.
-Alexander Hamilton
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Pirate Jean La Foote Hijacks Chocolate Crunch Berries

Post by monster_gardener »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:I hear we are approaching "peak chocolate" production worldwide and prices are rather high.

Thank You Very Much for your post, Nonc.
I'd worry more about Crunch's foe, Jean La Foote, the Bare Footed Pirate....... ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_LaFoote
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
noddy

Post by noddy »

neat.

in regards the ocean im a pissweak representation of my viking side of the family and hate it and spend most of my time on rough seas vomiting and wishing for death to end it.

my dream escape from urbanity is temperate forest or arid badlands.
ultracrepidarian