Australia + New Zealand | The Antipodes

Typhoon

Re: Australia + New Zealand | The Antipodes

Post by Typhoon »

SfcHr_xzzRU
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
YMix

Post by YMix »

#FreeKaren: Australians mock anti-radicalisation booklet

A government booklet linking environmental activism and alternative music to violent extremism has been widely ridiculed by Australians.

Australia's anti-terror minister Michael Keenan launched the Radicalisation Awareness Kit on Monday, urging it be shared in schools.

But the use of a case study of a girl called Karen - who gets into music and student politics before getting involved in criminal protests - has sparked both concern and humour.

The #freeKaren hashtag started trending on Friday, and inspired offshoots #IamKaren and #JeSuisKaren.
'Rebellion went further'

The publication, Preventing Violent Extremism and Radicalisation, says young people can become violent because of ideologies such as "environment or economic concerns, or ethnic or separatist causes".

The case study says Karen grew up "in a loving family" but when she went to university "Karen became involved in the alternative music scene, student politics and left-wing activism. In hindsight she thinks this was just 'typical teenage rebellion' that went further than most".

"One afternoon Karen attended an environmental protest with some of her friends. It was exhilarating, fun and she felt like she was doing the 'right thing' for society."

It goes on to describe Karen's involvement in violent environmental protests, and how she felt like "a soldier for the environment", before describing how she eventually became disillusioned and cut ties with the group.

She struggled to "recover" from radical activism, but reconnected with family, found a job "broadly in the environmental field" and developed a "more moderate eco-philosophy".

Environmentalists, teachers and social media users were outraged that the publication lumped together environmental protest and violent extremism.

The International Association for the Study of Popular Music said it "strongly objects to the linking of participation in the alternative music scene to radicalisation of any kind".

"There is no reputable evidence to suggest that listening to certain types of music leads to particular political outcomes for the audience," it said in a statement.

"The idea that young people who like certain types of music are problems waiting to happen needs to be challenged, as it has consequences for them."

The Green Party called on its supporters to tell Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull "that everyday Australians who care about our incredible natural environment should be congratulated, not demonised".
:D
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
noddy

Post by noddy »

with any luck they can round up all those kale smoothie drinking vegans with their goth rock devils music and send em off to some orange jump suit place with the mozzies.

dangerous stuff middle class angst, needs to be slapped own early and hard.
ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

"noddy" .. you Payin the Price for Depending on China

Throughout Australia’s industrial heartland, factories are closing. About an eight-minute car ride from the center of Melbourne, a General Motors plant that in 1948 produced the first automobile wholly made in the country is scheduled to shut for good in 2017, victim of a rising Australian dollar that caused labor costs to nearly double from 2001 to 2011.

Toyota and Ford factories are set to close within two years, leaving Australia without any domestic auto production. Down the road from the GM plant is a facility operated by Boeing. In 2010 it sold the plant’s equipment for making metal aircraft parts to Mahindra & Mahindra, an Indian company that’s shipping the machinery to Bengaluru. Last year, Alcoa closed a nearby aluminum smelter.

Until recently the sad decline of heavy industry had little impact on the country’s highflying economy. Australia’s factories were closing, but its mines were booming. Chinese demand for Australian iron ore and other resources kept the economy humming. The country hadn’t suffered through a recession since the early 1990s.

The boom is over as the Chinese economy slows, and the woes of the manufacturing sector are complicating the job of new Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull. Lawmakers from the right-of-center Liberal Party on Sept. 14 chose the former Goldman Sachs banker to be their new leader, ousting Prime Minister Tony Abbott amid concerns that Australia’s long run of economic growth was in danger.

Gross domestic product in the second quarter expanded just 0.2 percent over the first quarter, worse than the 0.4 percent expected by economists. The unemployment rate is at 6.2 percent, holding near a 13-year high.

Turnbull, who was communications minister under Abbott, is promising action. “My government has a major focus on tax reform,” he told reporters on Sept. 20. That will mean less reliance on income taxes and more on consumer levies. An early investor in technology startups before entering politics, Turnbull in March co-authored an article in the Australian newspaper with Vivek Kundra, executive vice president of Salesforce.com and former chief information officer for President Obama. The pair lauded companies like Uber and Airbnb. “The most successful businesses in the 21st century will be those that embrace digital disruption as an opportunity, and not something to guard against,” they wrote.

For all his talk about the transformational power of the Internet, the Australia that Turnbull leads still depends on the old-fashioned business of digging things out of the ground and shipping them overseas. Resources account for 52 percent of exports, up from 31 percent in 2000, according to data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics and consultant AlphaBeta.

The value of exports from Australia’s service sector including banking and telecommunications fell from 26 percent as a share of total exports in 2000, to a likely 20 percent this year. The country’s export base has narrowed to levels approaching that of a “banana republic,” says Andrew Charlton, who was an adviser to former Labor Prime Minister Kevin Rudd. The last few Australian governments have assumed low interest rates and a falling currency would help revive the non-commodity industries. “No such resurrection is occurring,” he says. “Even some low-income countries like Nepal, Kenya, and Tanzania have greater export diversity than Australia.”

The commodities boom helped take the Australian dollar to a high of $1.10 in 2011. That clobbered manufacturers. By 2013 labor costs were higher than those of any Group of Seven economy. Since then, they’ve dropped 14 percent, according to the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, but the decline is too late to save many factories. Manufacturing is 7 percent of the economy, down from 12 percent in 2001. “Heavy manufacturing in Australia is in some ways a lost cause, even with the Aussie plunging,” says Alex Gardner, an analyst in Hong Kong with Bloomberg Intelligence.

That lack of products to sell is making it harder for Australia to benefit from the 20 percent drop in the Aussie dollar over the past year. A weaker currency ordinarily gives exporters an edge over rivals. But not when China, the biggest customer of your chief exports—iron ore, coal, and other commodities—just isn’t buying more, no matter how low the price.

Not everyone agrees the situation is so bad. “There’s a bit of an obsession with iron ore prices in Australia,” says Mike Smith, chief executive officer of Melbourne-based ANZ Bank. Since services account for 8 out of 10 jobs and 80 percent of GDP, resources are “not the be all and end all,” he says. “The underlying economy is actually performing OK.” Tourism is thriving, and construction is booming thanks to low interest rates. Turnbull doesn’t have much time to convince voters Smith is right: He has to call new elections by late 2016.

The bottom line: Australia’s new prime minister must diversify the country’s export base and nourish the digital economy.

:lol: :lol: .. replacing manufacturing jobs, GM & Boeing, with Uber and Facebook and Twitter the sure recipe for disaster

Last edited by Heracleum Persicum on Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
noddy

Post by noddy »

really ?

never noticed. my world is full of unicorns farting gold.
ultracrepidarian
YMix

Post by YMix »

noddy wrote:really ?

Could you spare a unicorn, brother?
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
noddy

Post by noddy »

YMix wrote:
noddy wrote:really ?

Could you spare a unicorn, brother?
well, actually... i sold mine to the chinese and spent the money on a flatscreen tv and v8 pickup truck.

everynow and then some idjut publishes an opinion piece on how we should have spent the money on investing in the future but we just laugh, oh how we laugh.
ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

noddy, where do you live in Australia ? .. I was in Perth, Melbourne and Sydney .. very nice

How's Gina doin ? she am sure pissed off

noddy

Post by noddy »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

noddy, where do you live in Australia ? .. I was in Perth, Melbourne and Sydney .. very nice
i live in the first and the second and dont much like the third.
Heracleum Persicum wrote: How's Gina doin ? she am sure pissed off

she legally stole the money that Rose worked hard for, no sympathy from me
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

WSJ | As Mining Drops, Australian State Pivots
Victoria’s efforts to create high-tech jobs are a test for the nation as momentum moves away from resources
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

if you did a search on australia+smart+economy over the last 3 decades you might be cynical about this latest pronouncement.

it is victoria, so their will be some government grants issued to those that have the correct connections, forgive my pessimism.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

my favourite australian doomer pron site (zerohedge with less nutters) has a more likely story for our next decade
The first pillar of wussonomics is our peculiar economic structure. After a three decade run of good fortune, we are left with a massively inflated cost structure that means the only two economic activities of any magnitude that are left are shipping dirt and borrowing money to inflate house prices. This in itself leads to Banana Republic dynamics in which two dominant rent-seeking sectors – mining and banking – control policy, and various bizarre ideologies rise to justify that concentration.

The second pillar of wussonomics is the cyclical implications of the above. As we pass through cycles, bad decisions are made over and again, and those making them become more and more compromised.

One example is the extraordinary turnover in our political leadership. As each new leader takes on the trappings of the dominant rent-seekers, wussonomics is sustained as economic narrative of the day. Our leaders celebrate dying coal not rising solar. Terrified of the household debt underpinning banks, they preen “confidence” instead of shifting funding structures to productive lending.

A second example is the RBA which went from over-egging a commodity bubble and setting policy to let it run and, when its first bubble popped, shifting to over-egging a housing bubble and setting policy to let it run. Each blunder begets another as institutions and their leaders sink further and further into arse-covering over national interest. Then, one after another, these same leaders are torn down by a disaffected polity because wussonomics only makes things worse by entrenching the economic vandals while promising the world.

The third pillar of wussonomics is a really sick media. The timing here is unfortunate in that media is undergoing huge disruption that has bereft it of its traditional business model. That has killed vigorous journalism as cost cuts destroy corporate memory and talent, and as advertising becomes advertorial because managers are afraid to upset a narrowing set of business clients, that tend again to be in the dominant rent seeking sectors. One needs only to observe the centrality of real estate and banks to media profit growth to see this.

The fourth pillar of wussonomics is older and deeper. It is Australia’s unique sub-altern identity, it’s long term inferiority complex, a mind set that over-celebrates achievements and buries failures, which leaves Australians at constant peril of psychological colonisation.

As our great reckoning gathers pace, it is these four pillars of wussonomics that are preventing the nation from taking the measures needed to head off a collapse of some sort and/or to rebuild most effectively. We need the courage to take on rent-seekers and to describe our real circumstances, as well as shift policy so that we turn the ship slowly in another direction; the insight to hold our failed leaders to account so we can create from destruction, and the fortitude to admit it when we’re wrong.

Australia has natural endowment, brilliant innovators, a huge capital pile and perfect Asian proximity yet instead of turning these features into the dynamic investment and trade gateway to Asia we’ve transformed into a bloated, backward and rapidly declining economic wuss.
http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2015/10 ... ssonomics/
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:my favourite australian doomer pron site (zerohedge with less nutters) has a more likely story for our next decade

The fourth pillar of wussonomics is older and deeper. It is Australia’s unique sub-altern identity, it’s long term inferiority complex, a mind set that over-celebrates achievements and buries failures, which leaves Australians at constant peril of psychological colonisation.

As our great reckoning gathers pace, it is these four pillars of wussonomics that are preventing the nation from taking the measures needed to head off a collapse of some sort and/or to rebuild most effectively. We need the courage to take on rent-seekers and to describe our real circumstances, as well as shift policy so that we turn the ship slowly in another direction; the insight to hold our failed leaders to account so we can create from destruction, and the fortitude to admit it when we’re wrong.

Australia has natural endowment, brilliant innovators, a huge capital pile and perfect Asian proximity yet instead of turning these features into the dynamic investment and trade gateway to Asia we’ve transformed into a bloated, backward and rapidly declining economic wuss.
http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2015/10 ... ssonomics/
Love this post. Sounds like everyone on Earth is Stralian. "We" are the nation of the future, and "we" always will be! :P
noddy

Post by noddy »

yeh, dead on about that - this guy just rants about how we should have used our 20 year boom advantage to not be as retarded as the rest of all ya all.

i had no doubt we would make a pigs ear of it, my faith is unshaken.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:yeh, dead on about that - this guy just rants about how we should have used our 20 year boom advantage to not be as retarded as the rest of all ya all.

i had no doubt we would make a pigs ear of it, my faith is unshaken.
The same happens in municipalities and corporation all over the US. When "we" feel rich, we spend. It's never gonna rain again. My favorite indicator is building a new school with very elaborate and expensive school architecture. Sure fire indicator that the school district will be financially strapped within 5 years.

Back in the dot com boom era, one of the classic sell signals was a corporation paying millions to have a stadium named after itself.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Yanis Varoufakis: Australia is a ‘plaything’ of world economic forces it cannot control

Australia is a “plaything” of forces it cannot control as the world economy heads into another phase of the global financial crisis, according to the former Greek finance minister Yanis Varoufakis.

The “remarkable” flow of overseas money into the economy in recent years had created a “false sense of well-being”, he said, but the economy needed to change direction quickly to avert a crisis.

Varoufakis, who quit as finance minister after a tumultuous six months in charge of the near-bankrupt Greek economy, taught economics at Sydney University for 12 years up to 2000 before he returned to Europe in dismay at Australia’s turn to the right under John Howard.

The economist, who has dual Greek and Australian citizenship and whose daughter lives in Sydney, said Australia had become “complacent” about the health of its economy.

The Sydney and Melbourne housing boom, where price growth has been in double figures, was particularly alarming, said Varoufakis, who is in Australia for a short speaking tour.

“Australia – especially Sydney and Melbourne – has always insulated itself from facts about the world. Aided and abetted by the remarkable flow of capital towards the property market in Sydney and Melbourne, it has created a false sense of wellbeing,” he told the Guardian.

“People have always said to me that Australia is immune to the crisis because during the good times money has come as an investment. Then if things go wrong the rich Chinese will emigrate here and bring their dosh with them.”

But Australia had become a “plaything of forces out of its control”, he said, and risked an economic shock as the credit bubble created by China in the wake of the global financial crisis began to deflate.

“The crisis of 2008 won’t go away. It is a unified, solid crisis, although it is metamorphisising and changing. Between the 80s and 2008 the world economy was fuelled by US debt, then financialisation [the huge increase in credit] which created a pyramid of money which collapsed in 2008.

“The world economy lost its capacity to create demand for factories, but China reacted by creating a huge bubble. They were hoping the west would stabilise but it didn’t because America is ungovernable and Europe even more so.”

After his bruising experience trying to face down the might of Germany, the European Central Bank, the European Union and the IMF, Varoufakis has become an outspoken critic of economic policy.

He has described the settlement imposed on Greece in July as doomed to failure and will “go down in history as the greatest disaster of macroeconomic management ever”.

Echoing the call for innovation by new prime minister Malcolm Turnbull, Varoufakis said Australia should redirect its economy from “rent” in the shape of selling commodities to “entrepreneurial profit” in the form of greater innovation.

“Australia has excellent pockets of innovation such as CSIRO. But there is a glass ceiling where they usually have to sell up and move to the US in order to progress.

“It was Paul Keating who said Australia needed to move from being the lucky country to being the smart country. But the government didn’t help that and Australia still has a problem taking ideas to the next stage.”
noddy

Post by noddy »

all the criticisms are fair enough, variations on the usual suspects.

the 'glass ceiling' however is australian socialism and its bucket of crabs sense of fairness.

if someone does do well here the first thing they do is move to america and avoid all the litigation and new taxes that will magically appear when you have more than anyone else.

the hard part in australia (or much of europe) is to move from the bucket of crabs to the group that holds the bucket - it requires lots of contacts and money to become part of the entitled rent seeker class.

people have been complaining about blah blah clever country stuff my entire life, we are mostly jaded to it, we are like canada - a resource based third world country with high standards of living.

the trick is to keep the immigration low so that this magic ratio of resource jobs/taxes to population can be maintained :P
ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

noddy wrote:.

the trick is to keep the immigration low so that this magic ratio of resource jobs/taxes to population can be maintained :P

There is worldwide "deflation" .. meaning asset prices, commodity prices, wages all will come down no matter what.

Australian economy dependant on commodity prices will not grow, without grow no prosperity.

Australian economy must diversify, must add other wealth generating sector

Immigrant bring those skill and new ideas .. Silicon Valley is all immigrants, Iranian, Chinese, etc .. last month, 40% of all jobs created in America was in Silicon Valley.

That is why Germany taking as many immigrants as possible.

noddy

Post by noddy »

you can talk about fantasy land with the greek guy, people have been saying that my entire life, im sure it sensible in theory,im equally sure its not going to happen.

we currently live well because its a small amount of people selling lots of resources so that means great ratios of tax money and resource jobs to people, more people make the labour cheaper and dilute the tax money, basic maths, no magic required.

the resource money is going away, australia is crashing, wouldnt have made any difference if we had some big tech company, they dont pay much tax, they dont employ many people.
ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

we currently live well because its a small amount of people selling lots of resources so that means great ratios of tax money and resource jobs to people, more people make the labour cheaper and dilute the tax money, basic maths, no magic required.

That's fine as long as you want to stay truck drivers and crane operators :lol:

the resource money is going away, australia is crashing, wouldnt have made any difference if we had some big tech company, they dont pay much tax, they dont employ many people.

noddy, Apple computer itself probably pays no taxes at all .. but .. Apple's 66,000 employees in the United States alone pay $ 4.29 Billion taxes a yr on the paycheck Apple giving them, add to that the tax investor pay on the dividend, add to this many other taxes the supplier pay etc .. US receives probably $ 10+ billion taxes from Apple guys a yr.

Who do you think has a better use for the money you would say Apple should put aside as TAX ? ? Apple or Government ? ? Tax Apple would pay would come from money not creating products, less employee.

You need high paying jobs so that people can spend leading to good economy.

Don't be afraid of immigrants, many studies have proven immigrant good for economy.

and

Forget economy, what about Humanität, and, you bomb them You own them. :lol:

Poor Angela has nothing to do with all this but taken the hit.

noddy

Post by noddy »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:

That's fine as long as you want to stay truck drivers and crane operators :lol:
they make more than apple employees, much much more.

we have lots of bitter middle class uni graduates who hate that truck drives make so much money, disgusting poeple those people, they think becaue they went to university they deserve other peoples money and they are a better type of person, real low lifes.
Heracleum Persicum wrote:

noddy, Apple computer itself probably pays no taxes at all .. but .. Apple's 66,000 employees in the United States alone pay $ 4.29 Billion taxes a yr on the paycheck Apple giving them, add to that the tax investor pay on the dividend, add to this many other taxes the supplier pay etc .. US receives probably $ 10+ billion taxes from Apple guys a yr.

Who do you think has a better use for the money you would say Apple should put aside as TAX ? ? Apple or Government ? ? Tax Apple would pay would come from money not creating products, less employee.

You need high paying jobs so that people can spend leading to good economy.

Don't be afraid of immigrants, many studies have proven immigrant good for economy.

and

Forget economy, what about Humanität, and, you bomb them You own them. :lol:

Poor Angela has nothing to do with all this but taken the hit.

many pro immigrant studies have shown immigrants are good for the economy

other realities have shown you get ghettos and social conflict and that the only work that grows due to immigration is low paid social work and retail work.

new industries and new technologies do not magically appear and their is more competition for those jobs, and more desperate people going for them.

ask the indigene in canda or australia how much they like immigration.

7 billion humans, 20 thousand die a day from starvation, billions in poverty, wars everywhere, the tap of human desperation is overflowing, my country tactically picks the middle class and rich immigrants so it can tax their money and prop up the government services with it. (middle class parasites i talked about above)

we will take more rich asians, we will not take poor people.

this isnt my system, this is how australia operates - if it was my system we wouldnt take anyone from anywhere, i dont like overcrowded countries, i dont care if the numbers are bigger the lifestyle is worse, i would only allow immigration that maintained the population from non breeding middle class.

i could not care less about dick waving arguments who is bigger, all the places i want to live are not overpopulated and not full of ghettos of desperation, all the places people are running away from are.

we do not have a responsibility to make the world pefectly-even-in-shittyness, if ghettos are easy to fix then the places with ghettos can fix them. they arent.

i am a computer programmer from an immigrant family, close that door behind me :)
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2015/11 ... ion-ponzi/
The New Zealand Government would do well to note the research of former RBNZ special adviser, Mike Reddell, who released a research paper claiming that New Zealand’s high immigration program had crowded-out (through higher interest rates and a high average real exchange rate) other productive investment, lowering living standards in the process.

Or research from the New Zealand Treasury, which questioned the merits of high immigration and recommended a reduced immigration intake in the event that the economy is unable to adequately cope with population pressures.

Or the 2011 report by New Zealand’s Savings Working Group, which argued that high levels of immigration in New Zealand had put upward pressure on inflation and interest rates, crowding-out productive sectors of the economy.

Trying to artificially juice the economy via never-ending high rates of immigration is likely to lower the living standards of the existing population. It’s not rocket science.
ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

noddy, the benefit of immigrant does not show immediately, takes yrs things to kick in

True, high immigration brings, short term, bottle necks and other economic issues, true .. but long term, it brings prosperity.

FYI, a history lesson :

- 1000 yrs ago, wealth of a nation was "agri Land" .. Reason was, agriculture produced food .. to feed bigger population more land needed to cultivate .. that is why "Conquering" land was the key.

- 200 yrs ago, when industrial revolution started, steam machine, natural resources, iron ore, copper, Oil & Gas etc became key .. All wars since 200 was for natural resources.

- 80 yrs ago, when synthetic Amonia (Haber Bosch) was made out of Water and Air (Amonia material fertilizers made of, now, 1 acre land feeds 100 times more people), when Nylon & synthetic rubber was invented and later the semiconductor and computer etc, less and less "Rohmaterial" was needed to make things, material cost for a product dropped and dropped, Rohmaterial cost of an iPhone is maybe 1 dollar .. meaning, resources, Rohmaterial, lost in importance, Technology, Patents, became WEALTH of a nation.

There is no escape, there is no stand still .. either nation's economy advances with time, or you will be economically wiped out.

In that sense, NewZealand dramatically increasing foreign student applications is very wise, those student will establish "start ups" and all the rest .. NewZealand investing for the next generation of NewZealander.

China Outstrips Rest of the World in Creating Startups

-1x-1.png
-1x-1.png (40.9 KiB) Viewed 3268 times

noddy

Post by noddy »

thanks for the history lesson azari.

i never knew we stopped being hunter gatherers, amazing huh.

i also learnt i should make my life crapper so that someone in a few hundred years time can win a dick waving competition on country statistics.

brilliant!

besides, this isnt about me, this is about australia and its policies.

australia is anti startup, anti capitalist and has been since the middle class tookover in the post 60's culture wars.

its not fair if someone does better than someone else, the government should step in and stop it because it puts other peopels jobs at risk.

if australia was in charge of the world then henry fords cars would have been banned the moment they ran over the first kid

you have no idea what you are arguing about, or against when it comes to australia.

lucky for us we have lots of dirt and lots of beef,pork and wheat, so if we keep the population low enough, we will always be relevant because people always got to eat.

thats australia, its best not to overthink it because australians certainly dont, you will only confuse yourself.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2015/11 ... ion-ponzi/

Trying to artificially juice the economy via never-ending high rates of immigration is likely to lower the living standards of the existing population. It’s not rocket science.
Immigration and the effect on economies is not rocket science?

that splains why there's so many unempoyed rocket scientists... hardly anything is rocket science..... still everyone wants to be a rocket scientist

Weird huh?