The Lucky Country

noddy

The Lucky Country

Post by noddy »

ultracrepidarian
noddy

Re: The lucky country

Post by noddy »

we have now officially entered the twilight zone of retardation, newspeak doubleplus good has hit an all new high.

the official globalist progressive dogma is that all immigration means growth, so when you have more immigration than growth its still growth, however you have "per capita recession"

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-03/ ... n/10858812

so, less money and jobs for everyone but you cant say that is a direct link to high immigration because that would be against dogma.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:we have now officially entered the twilight zone of retardation, newspeak doubleplus good has hit an all new high.

the official globalist progressive dogma is that all immigration means growth, so when you have more immigration than growth its still growth, however you have "per capita recession"

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-03/ ... n/10858812

so, less money and jobs for everyone but you cant say that is a direct link to high immigration because that would be against dogma.
Based on the picture, I think one of the big problems you guys have over there is you spend way too much money on complicated roof lines. All form, negative function, more problematic.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:
Based on the picture, I think one of the big problems you guys have over there is you spend way too much money on complicated roof lines. All form, negative function, more problematic.
housing the main pillar of our economy, if their is any possible way to make it more expensive, it will be enforced at council level as a matter of priority.

all you fools who think you know economics dont know the wonders of an economy based on selling houses , coffee and avocado toast at ever escalating values.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:
housing the main pillar of our economy, if their is any possible way to make it more expensive, it will be enforced at council level as a matter of priority.

all you fools who think you know economics dont know the wonders of an economy based on selling houses , coffee and avocado toast at ever escalating values.
A friend of mine was in Melbourne and Hobart recently, part holiday, part looking for a potential location to retire.

His conclusion was that real estate prices were absurd.

If the overseas money dries up and prices tank, then he said that he may reconsider.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Colonel Sun wrote:
noddy wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

A friend of mine was in Melbourne and Hobart recently, part holiday, part looking for a potential location to retire.

If the overseas money dries up and prices tank, then he said that he may reconsider.
sane move, barring his odd choice for cold and miserable retirement locations ;)
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:
Colonel Sun wrote:
noddy wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

sane move, barring his odd choice for cold and miserable retirement locations ;)
He's from Yukiguni | Snow Country, so what Aussies might consider cold and miserable is a pleasant day to him.

I don't think he could survive the climate in Banana Bender country.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:

https://quillette.com/2019/04/10/the-end-of-aspiration/

" Perhaps nowhere is shift more dramatic than in Australia, a country long renowned for both social mobility and widespread home ownership. Between 1981 and 2016, property ownership rates among 25 to 34 year-olds in Australia—a country with a strong tradition of middle- and working-class home ownership—fell from more than 60 percent to 45 percent. This is not, as some suggest, the result of a lack of developable land. Even in the relatively crowded United Kingdom, only six percent of the land is urbanized, while barely three percent of the US and 2.1 percent in Canada is urbanized. It’s less than 0.3 percent of Australia

So why has home ownership fallen? Largely due to regulations that have placed new affordable housing beyond the reach of younger Australians, something we also see in major cities in Great Britain, the United States, and Canada. In all these places, the main culprit has been “smart growth,” a notion that encourages the reluctant to move closer to dense urban cores and give up the dream of owning a home.

As a result, Australia’s once affordable cities are now among the world’s most expensive. According to demographer Wendell Cox, prices for homes in Sydney—even in the current downturn—are higher than Los Angeles, London, New York, Singapore, and Washington.....

The impact on prices has been severe. In Sydney, planning regulations, according to a recent Reserve Bank study, now add 55 percent to the price of a home. In Perth, Melbourne, and Brisbane the impact is also well over $100,000 per house.......

These policies are widely supported among planners, academics, and the media; in virtually all countries, the cognitive elites congregate in elite urban centres. Indeed, when I produced data at a recent convention demonstrating that most Australians are continuing to move to the periphery, even in New South Wales, the moderator, Australian Broadcast commentator Ali Moore, described much of suburbia as “the wastelands.” This led one attendee to wonder “what country” she inhabited, given that 80 percent of all Australians live in suburbs, with more than four-fifths of families preferring to live in single family homes.
noddy

Post by noddy »

dead on the money.

the only thing I can say as contraryness is that we (along with parts of south america) have some of the worlds last uncleared wilderness that isnt steralised regrowth, which does make our land releases more political and contradictory.

so, my problem is how the trifecta of immigration, land clearing and ownership plays out - its one of those "you can have 2 out of 3" situations that we are politically unable to choose.

you can have immigration and destroy all the wild environment and keep the country livable in terms of cost of living .. or .. you can stop immigration and preserve the wilderness and keep the country livable in terms of cost of living.

reducing land supply and increasing immigration is the current one way trip to hell.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Yep. It is a strange conundrum. The universal cry from our better for "controlled perpetual growth."

I think John Maynard Keynes solved it with his maxim of "In the long run, we're all dead."

still lots of affordable housing and land over here, just not where the hipsters want to live.

Interesting to see which groups are actually embracing sustainability by not reproducing.

Hmm, could that be a contradiction? Sustainability thru extinction?
noddy

Post by noddy »

do you think 10 billion humans is an extinction event ?
ultracrepidarian
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

noddy wrote:do you think 10 billion humans is an extinction event ?
No..... because that's the maximum tops given current demographic models, then the population falls from there......'>......
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
noddy

Post by noddy »

ooh demographic predictions ;)

--

its hard to phrase right without sounding too anti human, which im not, but ... Id rather folks stayed away from my area and its incredible nature thats still to be found.

I know deep down Im a nimby's at heart.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:ooh demographic predictions ;)

--

its hard to phrase right without sounding too anti human, which im not, but ... Id rather folks stayed away from my area and its incredible nature thats still to be found.

I think everybody understands too many people in their face and not enough elbow room instinctively. Note the lack of eye contact between humans in high population density areas. Doesn't sound anti-human at all.

It's the one size fits all catagorizing attempts that always sounds inaccurate to me. People who live in cities and who never set foot in the woods, describing the world from what they read in the papers or online........

But with the upcoming magnetic pole shift, its all a bunch of moot points........ ;)
Last edited by Simple Minded on Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:do you think 10 billion humans is an extinction event ?
I was talking about a specific tribe. Seems to me that the word "human," covers a wide variety of species.

"We" is a tough concept to define for everyone, cause at heart, we're all "me." :P

Current issue in the US is walls around my property - good. Walls between US and them - bad. Almost all bandwidth is focused on the later half.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:
noddy wrote:ooh demographic predictions ;)

--

I think everybody understands too many people in their face and not enough elbow room instinctively. Note the lack of eye contact between humans in high population density areas. Doesn't sound anti-human at all.

It's the one size fits all catagorizing attempts that always sounds inaccurate to me. People who live in cities and who never set foot in the woods, describing the world from what they read in the papers or online........

But with the upcoming magnetic pole shift, its all a bunch of moot points........ ;)
equally their are many who think rolling green hills of pasture and regrowth forest is the country :)

one of the other, other, other, stupid things going on in my country is that the fertile market gardening strips along the river become rich peoples surburbia and thats pushing the food production out to more marginal lands.

this in turn chops down the remaining woodlands and the underlying watertable then changes and the soil turns into salt and becomes desert.

its just a mess, I can see why the greenies want to stop the land clearing of our wilderness but I cant see why they want high immigration at the same time - to me its an either-or situation.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
equally their are many who think rolling green hills of pasture and regrowth forest is the country :)
true nuff. If they don't tell us how to manage our land and woods, we won't tell them how to manage their asphalt and concrete. half of us are on board already. ;)
noddy wrote:
one of the other, other, other, stupid things going on in my country is that the fertile market gardening strips along the river become rich peoples surburbia and thats pushing the food production out to more marginal lands.

this in turn chops down the remaining woodlands and the underlying watertable then changes and the soil turns into salt and becomes desert.

its just a mess, I can see why the greenies want to stop the land clearing of our wilderness but I cant see why they want high immigration at the same time - to me its an either-or situation.
We have the same problem in my hometown on a much smaller scale. For no reason other than convenience, large tracts of some of the best soil in the nation have been turned into subdivisions, while 5 miles away, 20 square miles of equally flat land, that is less fertile, has been left untouched for almost a century. I remember my Dad talking about it over 40 years ago. With such a high annual rainfall, it seems likely there is ground water there.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

I'll join the pile on with more of the same . . .

City Jour | The Once-Lucky Country

. . . from the same author.

One observation, the urbanized chattering classes certainly dominate the Aussie mainstream media.

The ABC is indistinguishable from the BBC and the CBC.

All come across as slightly to the left of Lenin.
noddy

Post by noddy »

excellent summary in that article.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/13/australi ... index.html

noddy, we need some local perspective.

There's durians in Strine Universities? Another parallel with Merka.

Good luck getting all the durians out of the university system. ;)
noddy

Post by noddy »

its very stinky.

(both durian and university students)
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/arch ... py/591433/

same same in many places. as families get smaller, and as virtual status symbols become more dominant, I would expect housing to be smaller, cheaper, less artistic/showy, less statusy, and in general much less a symbol of one's success/personality/taste/self-importance.

who needs square footage when you are well loved in the online community? housing dick waving may very well have peaked.
noddy

Post by noddy »

maybe, but getting from here to there is not looking easy or obvious.

In australia the debt follows the owner, not the house, I believe that is different to america ?
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:maybe, but getting from here to there is not looking easy or obvious.

In australia the debt follows the owner, not the house, I believe that is different to america ?
same same here. debt is personal. unless of course, one under goes the magical "me to we" transmogrification.
Simple Minded

Darwin is not dead! Next level in Evolution!

Post by Simple Minded »

could belong here, in evolution thread, or Big Brother thread:

https://www.darwin.nt.gov.au/council/tr ... ty-smarter