A great boy goes home

Doc

A great boy goes home

Post by Doc »

Doc wrote:
Teen Dies Saving Classmates From Suicide Bomber
ISLAMABAD, Pakistan Jan. 10, 2014
By HABIBULLAH KHAN
PHOTO: Aitzaz Hasan, who residents and police say died this week while trying to stop a suicide bomber who was targeting his school, is seen in this undated photo, Jan. 10, 2014.
Aitzaz Hasan, who residents and police say died this week while trying to stop a suicide bomber who was targeting his school, is seen in this undated photo, Jan. 10, 2014.
Syed Ijaz/AP Photo

He was an average student from Hangu, a remote town in North Western Pakistan, but he has become a national hero.

Aitzaz Hasan, 14, stopped a suicide bomber from entering his school Monday and sacrificed his life to protect his fellow students.

"I saw Aitzaz trying to get hold of a guy and then there was a big explosion," said Habib Ali, who is a senior teacher at the school.

The target of the bomber was the morning assembly of approximately 450 students, Ali said.

"He was an average student, but was a bold child," the teacher said.

Today, in a statement Pakistan's Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif recommended him for the highest civil award for bravery.

"Shaheed Aitizaz's brave act saved the lives of hundreds of students," the prime minister said in a statement.

Thousands of people thronged his home since the incident to praise his valor and to offer condolences to his family.

"He has left his family grieving, but has prevented many others from that fate," said his teacher, a sentiment echoed by his father earlier.

If it wasn't for Hasan's act of valor and quick thinking, the results would have been catastrophic.

Hasan is Pakistan's latest student to become a hero for standing up to terrorists.

Malala Yousafzai was 14 and an outspoken advocate of educating girls when a Taliban gunman boarded her school bus and shot her in the head and neck.

She survived and wrote a book "I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban" and has become a worldwide icon for her defiance.

Pakistan's schools are regularly targeted by terrorists and school enrolment figures have been dwindling.
http://abcnews.go.com/International/tee ... d=21491486
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Doc

Re: A great boy goes home

Post by Doc »

This was meant to compare and contrast with "A great man goes home" It is as important now as Mandela was 20 years ago when he took over leadership of South Africa. Now you could ask me why I think that is true or not. But if you were to take a quick look at the Mandela thread :roll:
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros