Drug Culture News | The Great Binge

This too shall pass.
Simple Minded

Re: Drug Culture News - Marijuana and More

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:In my experience, Percocet is ineffective and the worst of the bunch. Paregoric works well and codiene based cough syrup works well but Percocet just adds an unneeded addictive component.
I received a Tylenol-codeine subscription after ankle surgery and while it did it's job post-hospital, it made me extremely paranoid with this urge to flee as if I were in imminent danger (or I think it did, may have been any of the other chemicals floating through me that day.) Luckily, I felt fine enough the next day to not test it out.

Of course, I'm bringing this up 'cause I just had a root canal which the doctor afterwards handed me another percocet subscription. I told him that I'm sure I'll be fine without it, and that if there's any trouble, I'd be seeing him soon anyway; but he insisted.

Needless to say I'm not going to be going to the pharmacist with it, it's just a waste of money. But it sure seems like they are pushing it on me. :lol:
How much ya want for it? ;)
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Simple Minded wrote:
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:In my experience, Percocet is ineffective and the worst of the bunch. Paregoric works well and codiene based cough syrup works well but Percocet just adds an unneeded addictive component.
I received a Tylenol-codeine subscription after ankle surgery and while it did it's job post-hospital, it made me extremely paranoid with this urge to flee as if I were in imminent danger (or I think it did, may have been any of the other chemicals floating through me that day.) Luckily, I felt fine enough the next day to not test it out.

Of course, I'm bringing this up 'cause I just had a root canal which the doctor afterwards handed me another percocet subscription. I told him that I'm sure I'll be fine without it, and that if there's any trouble, I'd be seeing him soon anyway; but he insisted.

Needless to say I'm not going to be going to the pharmacist with it, it's just a waste of money. But it sure seems like they are pushing it on me. :lol:
How much ya want for it? ;)
This is how the problems start! :mrgreen:
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

Medical marijuana policies under fire by top B.C. doctors - CBC News, 9 October 2015
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3264517

Rigid rules around medical marijuana leading to more prescription opioid use and abuse

Medical marijuana could cut down on the use of addictive painkillers according to a new paper in the Canadian Journal of Public Health, but some of Vancouver's best known researchers say reluctant doctors and a confused federal government are failing to act.

"When it comes to prescription marijuana, patients' needs should be considered above political considerations," said study co-author Dr. Julio Montaner of the B.C. Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS. "There could be great harm in ignoring the medical uses of marijuana."

Study co-author Dr. Thomas Kerr says Canada is in the midst of an epidemic of opioid abuse and related overdose deaths, and that numerous studies have shown painkillers such as oxycontin are dangerous and prescribed too frequently.

At the same time there is strong evidence showing that prescription cannabis can be as effective in controlling pain in some cases, but with far less risk.

"If we can enhance access to medicinal cannabis for the right conditions it may have the positive effect of reducing prescription opioid misuse and the associated overdose epidemic," says Kerr.

Under Canada's current medical marijuana laws patients must obtain prescription cannabis from federally licensed producers, generally through the mail. There are currently 26 licensed producers listed on Health Canada's website.

Kerr says sending a prescription drug through the mail doesn't make sense.

"We would never do that in the case of treating someone with diabetes," he said.

The caution towards cannabis comes because it is illegal and because the federal government has been making up the science on the fly according to Kerr.

"It's unfortunate that the federal government has really failed to deliver an effective medical-cannabis program and it's
unfortunate that they've also misrepresented the science in this area," he said.

In response to the publication, the Canadian Medical Association released a statement saying there is a role for medical marijuana, but prescribing it remains a challenge under the current system.

Dr. Mark Ware of Montreal's McGill University Health Centre researches cannabis for pain and prescribes it to his patients. He considers it unrealistic to demand clinical trials for a drug that is already used to treat many conditions.

​"I think it's just unreasonable to expect that kind of level of data to be produced," Ware said. "It sort of sets the whole thing up as an impossible target to meet."

Ware said if the CMA truly wants more confidence in prescribing cannabis, there are more than enough scientists in Canada eager to share their research, but the CMA should take the lead.
Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

Medical marijuana could cut down on the use of addictive painkillers
Well, WTH. Apparently, it does.
In states with laws legalizing medical marijuana, new research shows there are nearly 25 percent fewer deaths from painkiller overdoses. Opioid painkiller overdoses are a growing problem nationwide. More than 16,500 Americans died of opioid drug overdoses in 2010, and the numbers continue to rise.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Demon of Undoing wrote:
Medical marijuana could cut down on the use of addictive painkillers
Well, WTH. Apparently, it does.
In states with laws legalizing medical marijuana, new research shows there are nearly 25 percent fewer deaths from painkiller overdoses. Opioid painkiller overdoses are a growing problem nationwide. More than 16,500 Americans died of opioid drug overdoses in 2010, and the numbers continue to rise.
Not a moment too soon.

Overdose deaths in US hit record high
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Marijuana extract slashes pediatric seizures, landmark study confirms

[...]

“After three months of treatment, the frequency of all seizures was reduced by a median of 45 percent in all participants. Almost half (47%) of the participants in the study experienced a 50 percent or greater reduction in seizures and nine percent of patients were seizure-free. Among specific patient populations, DS patients had a 62 percent reduction in seizures and 13 percent were seizure-free. Patients with LGS experienced a 71 percent reduction in atonic seizures,” stated a release from the American Epilepsy Society.

[...]
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

Federal Court strikes down ban on medicinal marijuana patients growing own pot - CBC News, 24 February 2016
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3461694

4 B.C. residents challenged legislation introduced by the previous Conservative government

Federal Court judge has struck down federal regulations restricting the rights of medical marijuana patients to grow their own cannabis.

In the ruling issued on Wednesday morning in Vancouver, Judge Michael Phelan ordered the Marihauna for Medical Purposes Regulations has no force and effect, but suspended the declaration for six months so that the government can come up with new rules.

The judge also ordered the injunction that has allowed thousands of Canadians with an authorization to use medical marijuana to grow marijuana will remain in effect.

The constitutional challenge was launched by Nanaimo, B.C., resident Neil Allard and three other British Columbia residents who argued that legislation introduced by the previous Conservative government violated their charter rights.

Phelan heard the case between February and May 2015 in Vancouver.

Homegrown supply

The Marijuana for Medical Purposes Regulations were introduced in 2013 and required patients to buy cannabis from licensed producers instead of growing their own.

During the hearings, federal government lawyers argued that the regulations ensured patients have a supply of safe medical marijuana while protecting the public from the potential ills of grow-operations in patients' homes.

The lead counsel for the plaintiffs, John Conroy, told court that the legislation has robbed patients of affordable access to medicine. Some people were left with no choice but to break the law, he argued, either by continuing to grow their own or by purchasing on the black market.

Previously, those who launched the challenge promised to take their fight to the Federal Court of Appeal if today's decision was not in their favour.

The federal Liberal government has committed to regulating and legalizing recreational marijuana but has yet to introduce any legislation.
kmich

Post by kmich »

Nixon official: real reason for the drug war was to criminalize black people and hippies
At the time, I was writing a book about the politics of drug prohibition. I started to ask Ehrlichman a series of earnest, wonky questions that he impatiently waved away. "You want to know what this was really all about?" he asked with the bluntness of a man who, after public disgrace and a stretch in federal prison, had little left to protect. "The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

kmich wrote:Nixon official: real reason for the drug war was to criminalize black people and hippies
At the time, I was writing a book about the politics of drug prohibition. I started to ask Ehrlichman a series of earnest, wonky questions that he impatiently waved away. "You want to know what this was really all about?" he asked with the bluntness of a man who, after public disgrace and a stretch in federal prison, had little left to protect. "The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."
So the media allegedly squeezes out of one of the Watergate creatures, posthumously...40 odd years later... Famously bitter about being sent up river. In the midst of a Presidential election cycle.... With three major candidates being pejoratively labelled as 'Nixonian'...just in time to make front page of Google type news....

Yeah. Quit pullin' our leg.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Not very surprising.

Mexican stereotypes were key to successfully criminalizing marijuana.

Chinese stereotypes were key to successfully criminalizing opium.

Black stereotypes were key to successfully criminalizing cocaine.

493pL_Vbtnc
Typhoon

Re: Drug Culture News | The Great Binge

Post by Typhoon »

JStor | America’s workforce runs on uppers.
America’s workforce runs on amphetamines.

More specifically, it runs on Adderall (dextroamphetamine), Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine), Focalin (dexmethylphenidate), and Concerta (methylphenidate), all commonly used to treat attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Over the past five years, reports of a growing amphetamine epidemic in the United States have surfaced in unlikely places: From gym rats to Hollywood actresses to fearful college kids and stressed writers, there’s been no lack of exposés and personal interviews on the country’s prescription amphetamine and methamphetamine users.

The U.S. saw a 53% increase in ADHD prescriptions between 2008 and 2012.

Yet of all the reports, some of the most disturbing have been those chronicling the use of ADHD drugs to keep up in the workplace. Abuse by young professionals is distressingly common—Wall Street traders, software engineers, dentists, nurses, and lawyers, all cracked out of their minds trying to keep up with the competition. Some have even died from mixing these drugs with alcohol. While the exact number of abusers is hard to trace, as of 2015, the ADHD drug industry was a $13 billion business, and a report by IBISWorld expects to see the industry grow to $17.5 billion by 2020. To put that number in perspective, coffee, America’s best-known stimulant, brings in $30 billion annually.
YMix

Post by YMix »

The less employed force runs on grass.
A massive study published this month in the Journal of Drug Issues found that the proportion of marijuana users who smoke daily has rapidly grown, and that many of those frequent users are poor and lack a high-school diploma.

Examining a decade of federal surveys of drug use conducted between 2002 and 2013, study authors Steven Davenport and Jonathan Caulkins paint one of the clearest pictures yet of the demographics of current marijuana use in the U.S. They found that the profile of marijuana users is much closer to cigarette smokers than alcohol drinkers, and that a handful of users consume much of the marijuana used in the U.S.

"In the early 1990s only one in nine past-month [marijuana] users reported using daily or near-daily," Davenport and Caulkins write. "Now it is fully one in three. Daily or near-daily users now account for over two-thirds of self-reported days of use (68%)."

These usage patterns are similar to what's seen among tobacco users. "What’s going on here is that over the last 20 years marijuana went from being used like alcohol to being used more like tobacco, in the sense of lots of people using it every day," Caulkins said in an email.

Adults with less than a high school education accounted for 19 percent of all marijuana use in 2012 and 2013 (compared to 13 percent of the total adult population), according to the survey. This is similar to their 20 percent share of all cigarette use, but considerably higher than their 8 percent share of all alcohol use.

Similarly, Americans of all ages with a household income of less than $20,000 accounted for 29 percent of all marijuana use and 27 percent of all cigarette use, compared to only 13 percent of all alcohol use and 19 percent of the total adult population.

[...]
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

US DEA:"We need to keep weed illegal."
People:"Why?"
US DEA:"Because it's an illegal substance."
People: ಠ_ಠ
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Reason | Marijuana's Mystifying Misclassification
A logic-defying law lets the DEA keep cannabis in a more restrictive category than morphine, cocaine, PCP, and methamphetamine.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

J2BE2FobTQo
uDt8NXLs1ws
Deep down I'm very superficial
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

+1 Portugal
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
YMix

Post by YMix »

The booze industry is worried that a couple of hits of marijuana may cause customers to drink less.

Legalization is on the Tuesday ballot in Arizona, California, Maine, Massachusetts and Nevada, and alcohol groups are either staying neutral or lining up behind the No campaigns.

Their donations aren’t eye-popping, but the intention is clear. The Wine & Spirit Wholesalers of Massachusetts gave $50,000 and Beer Distributors of Massachusetts Inc. donated $25,000. The Arizona Wine & Spirits Wholesale Association gave $10,000.

Paranoia is justified, according to data from Cowen & Co. and the National Survey on Drug Use and Health. The number of drinkers who also smoke cannabis has increased over the past decade, while the number of cannabis smokers who drink has declined. Men, especially, find it difficult to party hearty. Their monthly drinking decreased in the last five years while their ganja use grew.

“We’ll be the growth category; they’ll be the mature category,” said Adrian Sedlin, chief executive officer of Canndescent, a pot grower in Southern California. “They’ll plod along at their 2 percent, and we’ll be growing for the next 30 years in the double digits.”
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Pbfa8Wp20q0
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Science | Underground labs in China are devising potent new opiates faster than authorities can respond
Fentanyl crosses the blood-brain barrier with ease. It binds to opioid receptors and floods the brain with dopamine, which creates intense euphoria but also slows the heart and depresses breathing. For most individuals, a lethal fentanyl dose is about 2 milligrams—an amount so minuscule that in a test tube it looks like a few grains of salt clinging to the glass. Carfentanil is 100 times stronger, making it about 10,000 times more potent than morphine. Crime labs keep autoinjectors of naloxone, the lifesaving opioid receptor antagonist, within reach in case their personnel are accidentally exposed to synthetic opiates.
A cynic might observe that such epidemics are self-limiting, the users end up killing themselves.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Reason | New Bill Will Make Canada the Second Country to Legalize Marijuana
Yesterday Prime Minister Justin Trudeau kept a campaign promise by introducing a bill that will make Canada the second country in the world (after Uruguay) to legalize marijuana for recreational use. The government expects legal sales to begin by the middle of next year.

Trudeau's bill, which will be managed by Liberal M.P. Bill Blair, a former Toronto police chief, closely tracks the recommendations of a government-appointed task force that delivered its report in December. The national government, which already licenses more than 40 producers of medical marijuana, will regulate cannabis growers, while provincial governments will decide the details of distribution. Advertising and marketing will be stricly regulated at the national level, as with tobacco.
A rather enlightened approach.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Women Warn,
‘Behave, or We’ll Get Tough’

BANDOL, India — Dozens of women brandishing brooms swooped down on a straw house in this village on a recent Saturday, sending the owner fleeing through a rice field as they seized buckets of fruit juice being fermented into a cheap liquor.

An hour’s drive away, a group of village women followed the scent of alcohol into a cornfield to find vats of moonshine dug into the ground, which they guarded for several hours until the police arrived.

Like so many disciples of Carry Nation, the temperance advocate who took a hatchet to United States saloons at the turn of the 20th century, village women are taking matters into their own hands, enforcing a prohibition law in Bihar, one of India’s poorest, most agrarian states.

Though per capita income is less than $600 a year, many if not most men used to routinely spend much of their money on alcohol, further impoverishing their families.

“It was the acceptable norm to be drunk,” said Raj Kumar Prasad, the chief of the Halsi police station, which oversees 50 villages, including Bandol.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

Women Warn,
‘Behave, or We’ll Get Tough’

BANDOL, India — Dozens of women brandishing brooms swooped down on a straw house in this village on a recent Saturday, sending the owner fleeing through a rice field as they seized buckets of fruit juice being fermented into a cheap liquor.

An hour’s drive away, a group of village women followed the scent of alcohol into a cornfield to find vats of moonshine dug into the ground, which they guarded for several hours until the police arrived.

Like so many disciples of Carry Nation, the temperance advocate who took a hatchet to United States saloons at the turn of the 20th century, village women are taking matters into their own hands, enforcing a prohibition law in Bihar, one of India’s poorest, most agrarian states.

Though per capita income is less than $600 a year, many if not most men used to routinely spend much of their money on alcohol, further impoverishing their families.

“It was the acceptable norm to be drunk,” said Raj Kumar Prasad, the chief of the Halsi police station, which oversees 50 villages, including Bandol.
So the women Bandol liquor?

Teresa of Ávila