Neil Armstrong [1930 - 2012]

This too shall pass.
Typhoon

Neil Armstrong [1930 - 2012]

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Re: Neil Armstrong [1930 - 2012]

Post by monster_gardener »

Thank You VERY Much for the thread, Col. Typhoon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Armstrong

A great man/human being.
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Ammianus

Post by Ammianus »

And thus passed the Golden Interstellar Age to one of Silver.
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Been busy doing stuff
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

Saddest of all is that the monumental achievement of Apollo 11 still stands as the high water mark of manned space exploration. The optimistic Space Age predictions of that era are a cruel rebuke to us today.
Be not too curious of Good and Evil;
Seek not to count the future waves of Time;
But be ye satisfied that you have light
Enough to take your step and find your foothold.

--T.S. Eliot
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

0TYuXj5sq6A
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Antipatros wrote:Saddest of all is that the monumental achievement of Apollo 11 still stands as the high water mark of manned space exploration. The optimistic Space Age predictions of that era are a cruel rebuke to us today.
2001: A Space Odyssey [1968]. The future turned out quite a bit different.

I always watch the beautiful scene of the [now long defunct] Pan Am space plane docking at the massive space station with a wry smile:

SpvOUnz4T7Q

However, what is more depressing is that a search for "2001: A Space Odyssey" and "moon landing" for the scene of the landing on the moon base
yielded instead a huge list of conspiracy theory videos on how Kubrick helped NASA fake the moon landing.
If only these people spent the same time and effort in learning the basics of physics and engineering.

Also, I recall reading that the Apollo space program did not enjoy widespread public support in the US - rarely rising above 50%.

Space | The Myth of America's Love Affair with the Moon

Once the Apollo 11 winning goal had been scored, the Space Race - to mix metaphors, was perceived as having been won and interest declined exponentially followed by support.

However, I'm very glad that man landed on the moon - showing future generations what is possible and, for a brief time, elevating the human condition from banal farce to one of heroic tragedy.
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

A remarkable man, at the forefront of a great venture, has disappeared.

When will the next person set foot on another world than Earth: will it be this century?

I have my doubts... :(
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Typhoon wrote:However, what is more depressing is that a search for "2001: A Space Odyssey" and "moon landing" for the scene of the landing on the moon base
yielded instead a huge list of conspiracy theory videos on how Kubrick helped NASA fake the moon landing.
If only these people spent the same time and effort in learning the basics of physics and engineering.
I have a cousin who insists that the moon landing was faked. He's currently a Captain in the U.S. Army.

Not exactly MENSA material, but a great ass kisser when there's something in it for him.

Thank god we aren't fighting the Russians.
cultivate a white rose