Alien Invasion imminent...US and Chinese joint Naval ops

This too shall pass.
Enki

Alien Invasion imminent...US and Chinese joint Naval ops

Post by Enki »

Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Ibrahim

Re: Alien Invasion imminent...US and Chinese joint Naval ops

Post by Ibrahim »

What am I looking at here?
Enki

Post by Enki »

UFO secrets revealed in Las Vegas today!

http://theedgeofreality.proboards.com/i ... 735&page=1

Ibrahim It's an alien invasion! I have it on the good authority of some random blog I came across.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Glad you found something productive to do since the OWS thing fizzled out.

The good thing is that more moon bats believe in UFO's than in their own capacity to govern themselves.
Been busy doing stuff
Enki

Post by Enki »

Hoosiernorm wrote:Glad you found something productive to do since the OWS thing fizzled out.
OWS didn't fizzle, it just changed and became institutionalized. There were thousands of people in Zuccotti on Monday.

The good thing is that more moon bats believe in UFO's than in their own capacity to govern themselves.
Heh. Well, we'll see. I hope I get to suit up in power armor and fight aliens. ;p J/K.
-Alexander Hamilton
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Is this a veteran's version of The Onion?
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Enki wrote:Heh. Well, we'll see. I hope I get to suit up in power armor and fight aliens. ;p J/K.
Sectoid at 12 o'clock! Set heavy plasma to auto! FIIIIIIIIIIIIRE!
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Uche Americanus

Post by Uche Americanus »

Enki,

If there is going to be an alien invasion of earth, I think I would have gotten a premonition of it. This does not rule out the possibility of their existence except, why would they want to bother with "earthly barbarians" like us? We do a good job killing ourselves as it is.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Uche Americanus wrote:Enki,

If there is going to be an alien invasion of earth, I think I would have gotten a premonition of it. This does not rule out the possibility of their existence except, why would they want to bother with "earthly barbarians" like us? We do a good job killing ourselves as it is.
Aliens are cool. Sigourney Weaver in a wetsuit and covered in oil is even better.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Enki

Post by Enki »

Who says they recognize our political systems at all? Maybe they just want a planet capable of supporting life.
-Alexander Hamilton
Skin Job

Post by Skin Job »

The most convenient way to rid the planet of inconvenient humans would probably be a bioweapon; the likely outcome being like War of the Worlds inverted.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

If there is going to be an alien invasion of earth, I think I would have gotten a premonition of it. This does not rule out the possibility of their existence except, why would they want to bother with "earthly barbarians" like us?

Welcome back Brother Uche :),

Cause we are high in protein and we can't run very fast?

How do we know they would not worship as enlightened creatures..... That might be worse than getting eaten! ;)
Skin Job

Post by Skin Job »

The odds are that a race capable of bridging the vastness of time and space to reach us would not need anything from our puny planet that they couldn't have obtained easier in a million different places and ways along their journey. Most likely, they'd try to interact with us. Whether or not we survive that attempt, that's another story.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Skin Job wrote:The odds are that a race capable of bridging the vastness of time and space to reach us would not need anything from our puny planet that they couldn't have obtained easier in a million different places and ways along their journey. Most likely, they'd try to interact with us. Whether or not we survive that attempt, that's another story.
That's very rooted in our capitalist paradigm where resource extraction is all about industrial demand. Maybe they just want to colonize every planet that they can, and the Earth is viable. ;) Like with Kurzweil's Singularity his idea is that the Singularity would colonize every piece of matter in the entire universe.
-Alexander Hamilton
Skin Job

Post by Skin Job »

Enki wrote:
Skin Job wrote:The odds are that a race capable of bridging the vastness of time and space to reach us would not need anything from our puny planet that they couldn't have obtained easier in a million different places and ways along their journey. Most likely, they'd try to interact with us. Whether or not we survive that attempt, that's another story.
That's very rooted in our capitalist paradigm where resource extraction is all about industrial demand. Maybe they just want to colonize every planet that they can, and the Earth is viable. ;) Like with Kurzweil's Singularity his idea is that the Singularity would colonize every piece of matter in the entire universe.
Why, oh why must it be an ideological viewpoint? What kind of lens is that?

Beings with the power to traverse the kind of spacetime obstacles our puny minds can barely begin to grasp, could likely just MAKE an inhabitable planet if they had the need.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

The trick will be for us to exploit the Earth's natural resources as completely as possible, so that when they show up they won't bother with the invasion.
Skin Job

Post by Skin Job »

Now THAT just might represent a capitalist paradigm! :lol:
Enki

Post by Enki »

Skin Job wrote: Why, oh why must it be an ideological viewpoint? What kind of lens is that?
I don't know why everyone gets so bent out of shape when you point out that they are a product of their native culture.
Beings with the power to traverse the kind of spacetime obstacles our puny minds can barely begin to grasp, could likely just MAKE an inhabitable planet if they had the need.
Matter being finite and reconfiguring matter requiring massive amounts of energy, it is possible that there are unique properties of certain planets that make them better at sustaining life.

People in Polynesia might say the same thing. "They have the power to traverse the oceans they come from the other side of the world, why would they need to take our lands?"

When a mushroom launches a spore at several times the speed of sound, that spore travels many leagues in comparison to its own size in order to propagate its life-form many meters away from the cow lavender it grew up in. Making a planet may just be orders of magnitude more difficult than seeding an existing one. Who knows?

I think that's what makes the Alien movies so compelling. The alien horde was a life-form, not a civilization with a high level of technology. Viewing interstellar aliens as a technological species comes from our notion that technology isn't an outgrowth of our biology. We view it as separate and distinct from our 'selves' but I would imagine any alien species will have similar modular outgrowths to the degree that we cannot tell where biology ends and technology begins with them. Hell, it's possible that some sort of ambulatory creature from another planet may not even be carbon-based and organized by DNA.
-Alexander Hamilton
Juggernaut Nihilism

Post by Juggernaut Nihilism »

I think that the reason we haven't encountered any galactically-mobile intelligent life is simple. Life simply doesn't last that long once it acquires a high enough level of technology to kill itself off. I mean we've been sending radio waves into the atmosphere for less than a century, meaning our earliest signals are only around the block, astronomically speaking, and we've already almost destroyed ourselves a dozen times. Does anyone really think we're gonna last another 250 years at the rate we're going? When every African backwater has a stockpile of nuclear and biological weapons, and ocean acidity has killed off 90% of the algae? Nigerian please.

There have probably been countless tries at intelligent life, but every time they reach the same basic discoveries of the powered machine, the manipulation of the genome, and splitting the atom, they shortly get about the business of wiping themselves out loooong before they ever get to the point of inventing warp drives.

And if there is a form of life out there that simply doesn't have the same impulses to violence and malice that we enjoy, then I say bring em on because I have no doubt we'll send their candy asses packing back to whatever soft star system they pranced out of.
"The fundamental rule of political analysis from the point of psychology is, follow the sacredness, and around it is a ring of motivated ignorance."
Enki

Post by Enki »

Define violence.
-Alexander Hamilton
Juggernaut Nihilism

Enki wrote:Define violence.
Well, violence can just be a heavy object falling from a high place or a wave crashing on the sea shore. Human violence is something else. Human violence is the principle of change in the univers - that is, chaos - become conscious of itself. It's one of our two chief glories, the other being our capacity for awe.
"The fundamental rule of political analysis from the point of psychology is, follow the sacredness, and around it is a ring of motivated ignorance."
Enki

Post by Enki »

Juggernaut Nihilism wrote:
Enki wrote:Define violence.
Well, violence can just be a heavy object falling from a high place or a wave crashing on the sea shore. Human violence is something else. Human violence is the principle of change in the univers - that is, chaos - become conscious of itself. It's one of our two chief glories, the other being our capacity for awe.
Would a sentient species coming and infecting the biosphere of another planet not be an act of violence?
-Alexander Hamilton
Juggernaut Nihilism

Yeah it would be violence in the same way that a sabre-toothed tiger or an angry Komodo dragon are violence. Just blind nature... no match one on one, but we've been kicking the crap out of species that could beat us one on one since we were using sticks and stones. I say let em come... we could use a good tune up before our next actual war with other humans. :twisted:
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Juggernaut Nihilism wrote:I think that the reason we haven't encountered any galactically-mobile intelligent life is simple. Life simply doesn't last that long once it acquires a high enough level of technology to kill itself off. I mean we've been sending radio waves into the atmosphere for less than a century, meaning our earliest signals are only around the block, astronomically speaking, and we've already almost destroyed ourselves a dozen times.
Oh?

Juggernaut Nihilism wrote:Does anyone really think we're gonna last another 250 years at the rate we're going?
Given the track record of doomsday predictions over the last several millennia, I think that our species will be around for far far longer than that.
Juggernaut Nihilism wrote:When every African backwater has a stockpile of nuclear and biological weapons, and ocean acidity has killed off 90% of the algae? Nigerian please.
MAD has kept the major powers from going to war since WWII.

Biological weapons are ineffective except against isolated populations with no history of exposure.

What is your evidence that ocean acidity is killing off algae?

What is with the ongoing disparagement of Africa?
Juggernaut Nihilism wrote:There have probably been countless tries at intelligent life, but every time they reach the same basic discoveries of the powered machine, the manipulation of the genome, and splitting the atom, they shortly get about the business of wiping themselves out loooong before they ever get to the point of inventing warp drives.
Or the distances to be covered are simply too vast.

Voyager is finally coming close to leaving the solar system - 35 years afters launch.

The most depressing hypothesis I've read is that much of space is sterilized by gamma ray bursts.
Juggernaut Nihilism wrote:And if there is a form of life out there that simply doesn't have the same impulses to violence and malice that we enjoy, then I say bring em on because I have no doubt we'll send their candy asses packing back to whatever soft star system they pranced out of.
Did you see and enjoy the film Starship Troopers?
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Juggernaut Nihilism wrote:Yeah it would be violence in the same way that a sabre-toothed tiger or an angry Komodo dragon are violence. Just blind nature... no match one on one, but we've been kicking the crap out of species that could beat us one on one since we were using sticks and stones. I say let em come... we could use a good tune up before our next actual war with other humans. :twisted:
Ronald Reagan used to wax poetic about how he wished we'd be invaded by an alien species so we could unite to oppose them.
-Alexander Hamilton