Stratos Live | Skydive from the edge of space

This too shall pass.
Typhoon

Stratos Live | Skydive from the edge of space

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Jnalum Persicum

Re: Stratos Live | Skydive from the edge of space

Post by Jnalum Persicum »

r-TCO2IdoTA
sQQUlc1E65k
Skin Job

Post by Skin Job »

I caught the last 20 minutes of the ascent, and the dive.. He did get into a spin during the initial part of the jump, which was pretty scary looking. Is it known yet whether he broke the sound barrier?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Skin Job wrote:I caught the last 20 minutes of the ascent, and the dive.. He did get into a spin during the initial part of the jump, which was pretty scary looking. Is it known yet whether he broke the sound barrier?
Preliminary Data:
Altitude: 39044 m | 128,097 ft
Duration of freefall: 4:19
Total jump time: 9:03
Speed: 1137 kmh (Mach 1.24) 833 mph
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Skin Job

Post by Skin Job »

I wonder if the shockwave is what put him into the spin.
Hans Bulvai

Post by Hans Bulvai »

Typhoon wrote: Speed: 1137 kmh (Mach 1.24) 833 mph
That's it?
I figured with those huge balls of steel he would be a little faster!
I don't buy supremacy
Media chief
You menace me
The people you say
'Cause all the crime
Wake up motherfucker
And smell the slime
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Skin Job wrote:I wonder if the shockwave is what put him into the spin.
i don't think so. I think that it was the near lack of atmosphere to dampen any rotational motion.

He was able to stop the spin once he hit more dense air. Fortunately, as there was a real risk of him blacking out.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Cool, now we can close all of our middle-east bases as we have a method of rapid insertion anywhere on the planet
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Jnalum Persicum

Watch this : First Head Cam Video of Supersonic Space Jump

This is the first footage from brave Felix Baumgartner's suit camera as he descended to Earth. It starts right after the jump and shows the moment in which Felix breaks the speed of sound and spins out of control.

Truly terrifying stuff. And awesome too.

According to Red Bull Stratos, Felix said he thought he was going to lose consciousness at one point because of the violent spinning:

"There was a time I really thought I was in trouble. I had to decide to fight all the way down and I finally got stable.

That spin became so violent it was hard to know how to get out of it. I was able to get it under control and break the speed of sound.

I could feel myself break the speed of sound. I could feel the air building up and then I hit it."*—Felix Baumgartner

Fortunately, he managed to control the spin—somehow!—and look down to Earth, keeping a steady descent course. The video shows that moment, too.

Felix is now the first man on the planet to break the speed of sound with no mechanical propulsion—just him and Earth's gravity. He also broke the record for the highest manned flight in a balloon, the highest free fall jump and the fastest descent.

We took the German TV commentary off—it was on Red Bull-owned Austrian TV channel Servus—and added the actual audio from the event, synchronized with the video. The original video was removed from YouTube shortly after it was posted.

You can watch a summary of the jump and Felix's records here. [Thanks RutherfordTheBrave!]

MT1DhcQg0Os

anderson

Post by anderson »

Typhoon wrote:
Skin Job wrote:I wonder if the shockwave is what put him into the spin.
i don't think so. I think that it was the near lack of atmosphere to dampen any rotational motion.

He was able to stop the spin once he hit more dense air. Fortunately, as there was a real risk of him blacking out.
From what I have heard, it was an interesting sensory perspective at the start.
For the first while, he was so high up that even though he was falling, the earth didn't noticably appear to get bigger.
He was in freefall, and thus weightless.
There was negligable air resistance. So initially, he had the sensory illusion of just floating high above the earth.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Brought to you buy the multinational corporation dba Red Bull.
Censorship isn't necessary
anderson

Post by anderson »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Brought to you buy the multinational corporation dba Red Bull.
It's something, eh? Man, whatever president got the ball rolling on private space industry deserves a pat on the back for that.
Jnalum Persicum

FHtvDA0W34I