The coming Oil and Gas giants

This too shall pass.
Jnalum Persicum

The coming Oil and Gas giants

Post by Jnalum Persicum »

U.S. will surpass both Russia and Saudi Arabia and become the world's largest producer of oil and liquid natural gas

Much of this opportunity comes from America's newfound ability to draw oil and gas from geological formations that just a few years ago geologists deemed impenetrable. The consequences of this breakthrough, both economic and geopolitical, are difficult to assess, but they range from a manufacturing renaissance in the U.S. to a decline of the geopolitical clout of Russia and the Middle East. Both would obviously be welcome news

Demon of Undoing

Re: The coming Oil & Gas giants

Post by Demon of Undoing »

Yep. There are wells that were capped as unprofitable decades ago that are being dug up, all through the Permian basin and elsewhere. We were having this very discussion at a new location not four days ago. The number of farmers who had just last year been sweating feed price rises of a nickel but are now in $60k pickup trucks* is amazing.

* You can take the man out of the farm but you can't take the farm out of the man.
Farcus

Don't drink the water

Post by Farcus »

Demon of Undoing wrote:Yep. There are wells that were capped as unprofitable decades ago that are being dug up, all through the Permian basin and elsewhere. We were having this very discussion at a new location not four days ago. The number of farmers who had just last year been sweating feed price rises of a nickel but are now in $60k pickup trucks* is amazing.

* You can take the man out of the farm but you can't take the farm out of the man.
Sounds great! Let's go to Odessa!

Image*

*Just some industrial solvent. Won't hurtcha nun.
Demon of Undoing

Re: The coming Oil and Gas giants

I get it on me from time to time. If that stuff was going to kill me, it would have happened already back when I was re- hubbing trailers in the citrus fields.

At any rate, I dont think having your job kill you is out of line, as long as appropriate compensation is made should it happen prematurely or carelessly. You gotta die of something. When you sell your labor, you take a certain risk. You use yourself up in service to what you hold as valuable. "Safety first" is a nice idea, but safety doesn't really come first. The job does. You want to be safe, stay home. There's oil to drill.
Farcus

Scotch Oil Company

Post by Farcus »

Demon of Undoing wrote:I get it on me from time to time. If that stuff was going to kill me, it would have happened already back when I was re- hubbing trailers in the citrus fields.

At any rate, I dont think having your job kill you is out of line, as long as appropriate compensation is made should it happen prematurely or carelessly. You gotta die of something. When you sell your labor, you take a certain risk. You use yourself up in service to what you hold as valuable. "Safety first" is a nice idea, but safety doesn't really come first. The job does. You want to be safe, stay home. There's oil to drill.
I know how that works. One of my nieces is married to a Schlumberger engineer who's father is a Shell company man who works their highest profile operations, like the Chuckchi Sea this last summer.

Your're right. If you're bothered by the occasional wiff of H2S while you're chipping asbestos or shoveling barium, there's 10 Mexicans who ain't.

Watch yerself, fingers are cheap in the Permian...

aqLALzUft8Y
Milo

Post by Milo »

Ya' know, it's been several years since I first heard that several years from now the US was going to take over oil production because of shale 'insert compound of the week'...
Farcus

Post by Farcus »

Milo wrote:Ya' know, it's been several years since I first heard that several years from now the US was going to take over oil production because of shale 'insert compound of the week'...

That was before fracking the Marcellus and the Barnett reduced worldwide gas prices by 2/3 at the same time as big new pipelines were completed in the Caspian and Indonesia. Flushed a lot of players and slowed the production curve.
Demon of Undoing

Watch yerself, fingers are cheap in the Permian

Funny you say that. One of the supervisors is missing a pointer finger from where it got yanked right the hell off. He's been called a three toed sloth and all manner of other things.
Milo

Post by Milo »

Farcus wrote:
Milo wrote:Ya' know, it's been several years since I first heard that several years from now the US was going to take over oil production because of shale 'insert compound of the week'...

That was before fracking the Marcellus and the Barnett reduced worldwide gas prices by 2/3 at the same time as big new pipelines were completed in the Caspian and Indonesia. Flushed a lot of players and slowed the production curve.
Ah, so that was before it didn't happen?
Farcus

Post by Farcus »

Milo wrote:
Farcus wrote:

Why produce expensive US oil when you can just buy Nigeria?
noddy

Post by noddy »

Demon of Undoing wrote:
Watch yerself, fingers are cheap in the Permian

Funny you say that. One of the supervisors is missing a pointer finger from where it got yanked right the hell off. He's been called a three toed sloth and all manner of other things.
one of the guys i worked with tore half his face off and lost an eye when clearing scrub to make a path for the drill rig and a branch fell down on him.

another got totally wasted and forgot he had left a rod spanner on and then fired up the drill head, massive internal injuries when it hit him in the gut... which is one of the events that brought in the damn blood testing :/

my personal favourite was the guy that threw a can of bug spray on the fire then decided it wasnt going bang quick enough.. his solution was to go up and tap it with a hammer, his outcome was a fireball that engulfed his entire body and left him bald and funny looking. i put the fire on his head out with the dishwashing slops bucket i was sitting next to.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Milo wrote:
Farcus wrote:

Natural gas prices on the NYMEX

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Jnalum Persicum

Post by Jnalum Persicum »

Typhoon wrote:.

Natural gas prices on the NYMEX

For those of you who are in this kind of activity

LNG