Hurrican Sandy

This too shall pass.
Hoosiernorm

Re: Hurrican Sandy

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Enki wrote:
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:Glad to hear you are safe Enki, I am w/o power here everything else for me is fine- though I heard a few sts. Over some house burnt down. Can't wait to see how things are outside. My worry is no power for days- one of my roommates goes crazy if the tv is off at any minute. He may kill us all if this doesn't get fixed! :lol:
LOL...everything is just fine at my house. My little cove was idyllic.
Sounds like a great reason to raise the rent price

The real estate problem in the north east has just been solved :D
Been busy doing stuff
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Torchwood wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:Maybe the wrath of G-d. *runs for cover*
Indeed, for electing a Mooslim Communist alien

(runs fast from deep red to deep blue corner)

The wages of secular sin, clearly due to MMGW

(ducks for cover before Rising Sun missile arrives from an aptly named Typhoon)
Very good.

However, one should not forget the all important spenglerian Frankenstorm is a sign from God for the US attempting to divide the land of Israel
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Reuters | Hurricane Sandy cuts power to 8.1 million homes

Large power outages and flooding. Both will be fixed. Some deaths unfortunately.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Enki

Post by Enki »

They evacuated two hospitals in Manhattan. FEMA coordinated multiple state agencies for first response. Very different from New Orleans in 2005.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Enki

Post by Enki »

A significant portion of Manhattan is under water. This is unprecedented. The subways have started to flood regularly only in the past 5 years. I snuck into my local subway station and water is still up to the platform.

This is what it has to do with goal warming. The sea level is self evidently higher than it used to be. This is unprecedented.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Enki

Post by Enki »

Hoosiernorm, my wife abd I were talking about property values on my block last night in the same context. It was cool. In front of my building it was light wind. In back it was gale force.
-Alexander Hamilton
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

I read that the NY subway has pumps running constantly, even on sunny days, and that during storms there is near chaos. The story also said that some of the approximately 700 pumps were purchased from the completed Panama Canal project in 1914.

IMO the MTA should send some people to Hong Kong and Guangzhou and see what they have set up. Both have extensive subways (not NY's size, but large) and deal with several typhoons every years, plus Guangzhou is basically build on red sand next to a massive estuary.
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

Ibrahim wrote:I read that the NY subway has pumps running constantly, even on sunny days, and that during storms there is near chaos. The story also said that some of the approximately 700 pumps were purchased from the completed Panama Canal project in 1914.

IMO the MTA should send some people to Hong Kong and Guangzhou and see what they have set up. Both have extensive subways (not NY's size, but large) and deal with several typhoons every years, plus Guangzhou is basically build on red sand next to a massive estuary.
Well that is like the agonised debate here whenever we have even moderately heavy snow, and it causes chaos - whereas in Canada, Russia or even Scotland it does not. That is because in southern England it is sufficiently rare as not to make it worth it to invest heavily in protective measures. HK gets hit regularly, in the NE USA Sandy is a once in a century event. Also the HK MTA has one underwater tunnel, how many does NYC have?

I think getting transit back to normal is going to be the biggest challenge here and that is going to affect the economy of the city for weeks.

Incidentally to non-Americans this is by far the biggest story here, with live Sandy update streams on the BBC and the main newspaper sites. But then, it's New York, disaster movies are always set there. If a Chinese city had been wiped out by a typhoon with far higher loss of life, it would rate a paragraph on an inside page.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Certainly a detailed study on updating the flood control in NYC or snow removal in London are worthwhile. Looks at the costs, make an analysis. It will also be interesting to see how long it takes to get the NY subway running again, the repair costs, and the knock-on economic costs. Upgrades may look less expensive then, and I think we can agree some will almost certainly be implemented.
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

Pres Obama and NJ Gov Christie seem to be having a Good Crisis, indeed the latter has praised the former. Wow, not on Rep message, but then Christie seems to be his own man and says what he thinks. He would make an excellent President, but would never get nominated and says he doesn't want the job anyway.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Torchwood wrote:Pres Obama and NJ Gov Christie seem to be having a Good Crisis, indeed the latter has praised the former. Wow, not on Rep message, but then Christie seems to be his own man and says what he thinks. He would make an excellent President, but would never get nominated and says he doesn't want the job anyway.
Or he's lining it up for 2016. We'll know for sure if he starts losing weight.
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

Torchwood wrote:But then, it's New York, disaster movies are always set there. If a Chinese city had been wiped out by a typhoon with far higher loss of life, it would rate a paragraph on an inside page.

In this part of the world a storm like this is just part of the weekly weather report. We get several power outages every single year. I'm in a more protected location than some but, for example, the Cape St. James lighthouse on Haida Gwaii, only a few kilometres from the route which tankers would sail going to and from Kitimat, the proposed terminus of the Northern Gateway Pipeline, reports an average of 122 days a year with gale force winds.
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

Apollonius wrote:
Torchwood wrote:But then, it's New York, disaster movies are always set there. If a Chinese city had been wiped out by a typhoon with far higher loss of life, it would rate a paragraph on an inside page.

In this part of the world a storm like this is just part of the weekly weather report. We get several power outages every single year. I'm in a more protected location than some but, for example, the Cape St. James lighthouse on Haida Gwaii, only a few kilometres from the route which tankers would sail going to and from Kitimat, the proposed terminus of the Northern Gateway Pipeline, reports an average of 122 days a year with gale force winds.
That's pretty normal for northern Scotland as well, ( 70 mph winds are nothing special even further south here), but neither place has to deal with a 20 million people megalopolis built on low lying coastal land - it's the rain and the storm surge that did the big damage, not the wind.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Apollonius wrote:
And then there was Typhoon Tip.

Tropical cyclones are an annual event in SE and E Asia, so the infrastructure and experience is in place to deal with them.
Even then there is often loss of life and property damage.

Large hurricanes are a once-in-a-generation event for NY, so one can expect that there will be problems.
It's like LA receiving one metre of snow . . .

I can say that I've experienced typhoons [Japan], a cyclone [Australia], and a hurricane [Caribbean] :wink:
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Enki wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:I love storms.
Me too. If I didn't have kids I would probably be the durian running around in it.
Same here.
cultivate a white rose
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

I love storms.

Not me. Too much work, and there are enough hassles in life. Also, especially when you're on the water, they are really dangerous.
noddy

Post by noddy »

nice it didnt affect you too much tinker.

i cheerfully note that much of our reportage was cocksizing it against our monster cyclone yasi of last year.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

Azrael wrote:
Enki wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:I love storms.
Me too. If I didn't have kids I would probably be the durian running around in it.
Same here.
ditto.. the electric air feeling is delicious.
ultracrepidarian
Enki

Post by Enki »

We have had two devastating hurricanes in two years here in New York.
-Alexander Hamilton
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

ya'll crazy. Back on the grid here- my roommate placated by that mollifying tv glow. Of course, it makes it hard to think, gotta wear earplugs 24/8. :lol:

Looking at what has happened in other areas, it's a bit surreal. My father was telling me his office building was flooded...on the positive side though (we'll for him personally) he gets a few days off, and he is going to have a LOT of work and job offers to deal with when he finally makes it back to the city. So it's a bit of a financial boom for him.
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

I am constantly surprised that, even in a densely populated area like the NE USA, on the reliance on overhead power cables for local distribution. Here it is all underground, much less vulnerable to high winds.

There is another huge low lying conurbation by an estuary - London. No hurricanes perhaps, but the storm surge on a NE gale at high tide could be just as bad, as happened in 1953. The Thames Barrier is supposed to protect London, but if it is breached it would be disastrous.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Torchwood wrote:I am constantly surprised that, even in a densely populated area like the NE USA, on the reliance on overhead power cables for local distribution. Here it is all underground, much less vulnerable to high winds.

There is another huge low lying conurbation by an estuary - London. No hurricanes perhaps, but the storm surge on a NE gale at high tide could be just as bad, as happened in 1953. The Thames Barrier is supposed to protect London, but if it is breached it would be disastrous.
The frequency with which every TV and radio station would play "London Calling" during the coverage would certainly be disastrous.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Whole neighborhoods have been destroyed like Gerritsen Beach.
-Alexander Hamilton
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

noddy wrote:nice it didnt affect you too much tinker.

i cheerfully note that much of our reportage was cocksizing it against our monster cyclone yasi of last year.
Sounds about right. I wonder if the Japanese media has been doing the same re: their tsunami. And of course Sandy killed more Caribbeans than Americans.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Ibrahim wrote:
noddy wrote:nice it didnt affect you too much tinker.

Sounds about right. I wonder if the Japanese media has been doing the same re: their tsunami. And of course Sandy killed more Caribbeans than Americans.
Comparing a hurricane to a earthquake + tsunami does not make sense.

Typhoons are an annual event in Japan. Loss of life sometimes occurs due to accidents, flooding, and mudslides.

The reporting has been mainly factual: NHK | Superstorm Sandy leaves 42 dead, many powerless