http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-TV/2 ... -Gonna-Die

The failure of government.
Censorship isn't necessary
Enki

Re: It's called being out of touch.

Post by Enki »

Yukon Cornelius wrote:
Enki wrote:
And how would you propose that NY prepare itself for 14 foot storm surges?...
How was NO supposed to have prepared?

And I am talking about the flooding [storm surge.] Maybe you're just skimming my posts.
THe problem with NO wasn't a lack of preparation it was the terrible response after, like cops from neighboring parishes shooting at people who tried to leave New Orleans.

Also, it's pretty universally accepted that NO could have repaired the levees prior to the hurricane.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Yukon Cornelius

Oh, and by the way, you're wrong. And that's final.

Post by Yukon Cornelius »

I dunno Tinker, NO could have used some better levees, pumps that didn't fail, blah, blah, blah.

Sounds a little like your subway system.
Juggernaut Nihilism

Re: Hurrican Sandy

Post by Juggernaut Nihilism »

Sounds like there is a lot of looting going on. Same thing happened after Katrina. After the floods in Iowa a few years back... no looting.

The oppressed underclass has had enough, and is lashing out at an unjust system by... wait, what? They are just stealing flat screens and bragging about it on Twitter? Nevermind.
Thieves have posted photographs of everything from video games to subwoofers to dehumidifiers.

Twitter user @OG_MLK posted a photo of a man grabbing hold of a big screen television with the caption Pics of my boy Demarcus swiping that tv #SANDYLOOTCREW.'

Another user posted a photo of a woman running on the street with a mannequin wearing a white shirt with the caption 'Last night even Momma got outta her house to loot me a new shirt... Luv U Momma #SANDYLOOTCREW'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... shirt.html
"The fundamental rule of political analysis from the point of psychology is, follow the sacredness, and around it is a ring of motivated ignorance."
Enki

Re: Oh, and by the way, you're wrong. And that's final.

Post by Enki »

Yukon Cornelius wrote:I dunno Tinker, NO could have used some better levees, pumps that didn't fail, blah, blah, blah.

Sounds a little like your subway system.
That you dont' even know why what you are saying is total BS is, I don't know what to say about it.

New Orleans, in the middle of Hurricane Alley, for like, ALWAYS.

NYC, NEVER EVER EVER HAD A STORM LIKE THIS EVER BEFORE EVER.

Can't put it simpler than that.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Enki wrote:
Yukon Cornelius wrote:
Enki wrote:
Yep, and people are pissed off about it.
And that's the point, maybe these people need to climb down out of their ivory towers out on Long Island and smell the hypocrisy. NY is not ready for so much as a CAT 1 storm.
And how would you propose that NY prepare itself for 14 foot storm surges?

I love how you're saying what I would classify as 'well duh' as though it's sage advice.

No, New York is not prepared for that for which there is no precedent. Repeating 'category 1 storm' is not even wrong. What did the damage here was the massive flooding.
Why not build some proper floodgates to take the bite out of the NY Bight?

While such floodgates won't stop a 30m tsunami, they should be able to stop a 4.3m storm surge.

Suggest consulting the Netherlands for help with New Amsterdam.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Typhoon wrote: Why not build some proper floodgates to take the bite out of the NY Bight?

While such floodgates won't stop a 30m tsunami, they should be able to stop a 4.3m storm surge.

Suggest consulting the Netherlands for help with New Amsterdam.
Well yes, but what people aren't recognizing is that this was never a problem in the past. Cities rarely build multi-billion dollar public works to solve for problems that are not yet problems. Now that they are problems, we'll see. Of course there is a slight other problem, which is the miles and miles of coastline. Manhattan should definitely get that kind of bulwark setup, but Brooklyn, Staten Island and Queens have far more coastline than Manhattan does.
-Alexander Hamilton
Juggernaut Nihilism

I had read that there was a similar surge and flooding in 1960 from Hurricane Donna. It wasn't quite as bad, but it could have been even worse. Donna tracked up the coast instead of turning right into the mainland the way Sandy did, but Donna was a Cat 2 that would have been worse than Sandy had it changed direction. Most of the stuff I'm seeing says that the storm itself isn't unprecedented at all in the region, it's just that there hasn't been one in memory that turned and crashed directly into the city like that.

A sea wall was proposed after Hurricane Donna in 1960, but never got built.
"The fundamental rule of political analysis from the point of psychology is, follow the sacredness, and around it is a ring of motivated ignorance."
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

If people didn't live through something for a lot of them it didn't happen.
Censorship isn't necessary
Yukon Cornelius

Oh, WIKIPEDIA!?

Post by Yukon Cornelius »

Enki wrote:NYC, NEVER EVER EVER HAD A STORM LIKE THIS EVER BEFORE EVER.
This is same Earth we're both talking about, yes?
The New England Hurricane of 1938 (or Great New England Hurricane, Yankee Clipper, Long Island Express, or simply the Great Hurricane) was the first major hurricane to strike New England since 1869. The storm formed near the coast of Africa in September of the 1938 Atlantic hurricane season, becoming a Category 5 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale before making landfall as a Category 3 hurricane[1] on Long Island on September 21. The hurricane was estimated to have killed between 682 and 800 people,[2] damaged or destroyed over 57,000 homes, and caused property losses estimated at US$306 million ($4.7 billion in 2012).[3] Even as late as 1951, damaged trees and buildings were still seen in the affected areas.[4] It remains the most powerful, costliest and deadliest hurricane in recent New England history, eclipsed in landfall intensity perhaps only by the Great Colonial Hurricane of 1635.
No idea how high storm surge was on that one.
The 1893 New York hurricane was a powerful and destructive tropical cyclone that struck the New York City area in August 1893. First identified as a tropical storm on August 15, over the central Atlantic Ocean, the hurricane moved northwestward for most of its course, ultimately peaking with maximum sustained winds of 115 mph (185 km/h) and a minimum barometric pressure reading of 952 mbar (hPa; 28.11 inHg). It turned due northward as it approached the U.S. East Coast and struck western Long Island on August 24. It moved inland and quickly deteriorated, degenerating the next day.
The storm inflicted severe damage with storm tides as high as 30 ft (9.1 m). Trees were brought down, houses were demolished, and Hog Island was largely washed away by the cyclone. Several areas suffered extensive effects from the hurricane, and at least 34 sailors lost their lives. The storm is regarded as one of the most severe hurricanes to strike the city.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Juggernaut Nihilism wrote:Sounds like there is a lot of looting going on. Same thing happened after Katrina. After the floods in Iowa a few years back... no looting.

The oppressed underclass has had enough, and is lashing out at an unjust system by... wait, what? They are just stealing flat screens and bragging about it on Twitter? Nevermind.
Thieves have posted photographs of everything from video games to subwoofers to dehumidifiers.

Twitter user @OG_MLK posted a photo of a man grabbing hold of a big screen television with the caption Pics of my boy Demarcus swiping that tv #SANDYLOOTCREW.'

Another user posted a photo of a woman running on the street with a mannequin wearing a white shirt with the caption 'Last night even Momma got outta her house to loot me a new shirt... Luv U Momma #SANDYLOOTCREW'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... shirt.html
We had some looting in Ottawa during that giant East coast blackout about seven years ago. No simmering underclass or racial or religious issues IIRC. Sometimes people just want a free TV. Nobody shot anybody either, and the cops busted most or all of them shortly thereafter. Before Twitter no less.
Ibrahim

Re: Oh, WIKIPEDIA!?

Post by Ibrahim »

Yukon Cornelius wrote:
Enki wrote:NYC, NEVER EVER EVER HAD A STORM LIKE THIS EVER BEFORE EVER.
This is same Earth we're both talking about, yes?
The New England Hurricane of 1938 (or Great New England Hurricane, Yankee Clipper, Long Island Express, or simply the Great Hurricane) was the first major hurricane to strike New England since 1869. The storm formed near the coast of Africa in September of the 1938 Atlantic hurricane season, becoming a Category 5 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale before making landfall as a Category 3 hurricane[1] on Long Island on September 21. The hurricane was estimated to have killed between 682 and 800 people,[2] damaged or destroyed over 57,000 homes, and caused property losses estimated at US$306 million ($4.7 billion in 2012).[3] Even as late as 1951, damaged trees and buildings were still seen in the affected areas.[4] It remains the most powerful, costliest and deadliest hurricane in recent New England history, eclipsed in landfall intensity perhaps only by the Great Colonial Hurricane of 1635.
No idea how high storm surge was on that one.
The 1893 New York hurricane was a powerful and destructive tropical cyclone that struck the New York City area in August 1893. First identified as a tropical storm on August 15, over the central Atlantic Ocean, the hurricane moved northwestward for most of its course, ultimately peaking with maximum sustained winds of 115 mph (185 km/h) and a minimum barometric pressure reading of 952 mbar (hPa; 28.11 inHg). It turned due northward as it approached the U.S. East Coast and struck western Long Island on August 24. It moved inland and quickly deteriorated, degenerating the next day.
The storm inflicted severe damage with storm tides as high as 30 ft (9.1 m). Trees were brought down, houses were demolished, and Hog Island was largely washed away by the cyclone. Several areas suffered extensive effects from the hurricane, and at least 34 sailors lost their lives. The storm is regarded as one of the most severe hurricanes to strike the city.

I still don't get what the whine is about here. There was a technically worse storm in 1938, so stop bitching because your wife was killed by a falling tree or your house was flooded?
Juggernaut Nihilism

Ibrahim wrote:I still don't get what the whine is about here.
Then you haven't been paying attention to the media narrative. There are those who are looking to exploit the damage this storm caused to push a political agenda, and they are saying that this is an unprecedented storm that has never before happened in the history of the universe to drive home their point that something has changed recently that requires whatever policy it is they support to fix it.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Juggernaut Nihilism wrote:
Then you haven't been paying attention to the media narrative.
No, I've been following the news. People dead, NY subway trashed, power still out and transportation impossible for people in some parts of NY and NJ. Admittedly New York is going to make more noise about a crisis than rural Pakistan will after an earthquake (more iPhones), but the gripes are legitimate.

There are those who are looking to exploit the damage this storm caused to push a political agenda, and they are saying that this is an unprecedented storm that has never before happened in the history of the universe to drive home their point that something has changed recently that requires whatever policy it is they support to fix it.
Oooooh, those global warming people with their science of man-made global warming are going to use this to raise awareness of global warming. I guess if you have some numbers to say that another, less damaging storm was technically a worse storm then that will... be something to say.

Anyway it seemed to me like Yukon was angry that a bunch of big city pussies were crying about their spilled lattes.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Then you haven't been paying attention to the media narrative. There are those who are looking to exploit the damage this storm caused to push a political agenda, and they are saying that this is an unprecedented storm that has never before happened in the history of the universe to drive home their point that something has changed recently that requires whatever policy it is they support to fix it.
The other aspect of this storm, that will be faccinating, at least to my puny little brain will be to compare private donations to the victims of the hurricane Sandy to private donations to the victims of hurricane Katrina, week by week, and month by month.

How much of that will be influenced by the MSM attempting to create a different narrative than the Katrina narrative will never be known.

Something tells me the existing stereotype of rich, politically connected coastal elites in NY & NJ will create less sympathy resulting in less donations than the stereotype of the poor, disenfranchised underclass in NO.
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Been busy doing stuff
Enki

Post by Enki »

Simple Minded wrote:
The other aspect of this storm, that will be faccinating, at least to my puny little brain will be to compare private donations to the victims of the hurricane Sandy to private donations to the victims of hurricane Katrina, week by week, and month by month.

How much of that will be influenced by the MSM attempting to create a different narrative than the Katrina narrative will never be known.

Something tells me the existing stereotype of rich, politically connected coastal elites in NY & NJ will create less sympathy resulting in less donations than the stereotype of the poor, disenfranchised underclass in NO.
Considering Sandy hit from North Carolina to Maine, I don't see how that narrative can take hold. Besides there are more poor people in New York City and New Jersey than there are in the entire state of Louisiana.
-Alexander Hamilton
Enki

Post by Enki »

Bloomberg has officially lost at Hurricane Sandy

http://brokelyn.com/a-dispatch-from-she ... ds-it-now/
Yet when you turn on TV you are very unlikely to hear words such as Sheepshead bay and Manhattan beach. Many of you might be completely unaware of what is happening down here. We have been ignored, abandoned by the media and the powers that be. Street intersections have NO police officers regulating traffic. Drivers are frustrated and dangerous it is very scary to walk around with your child. Yet in midtown Manhattan there are police officers on every corner even though the traffic lights are working. Our neighborhoods, whatever is left of them are being looted. Yet I received an image from the upper east side of dozens upon dozens of national guard trucks being WASHED by the national guard soldiers who could instead be protecting our ravaged neighborhoods. I have seen 1 news team in 4 days in sheepshead bay, it was from channel 12.
-Alexander Hamilton
Juggernaut Nihilism

Enki wrote:Bloomberg has officially lost at Hurricane Sandy

http://brokelyn.com/a-dispatch-from-she ... ds-it-now/
Yet when you turn on TV you are very unlikely to hear words such as Sheepshead bay and Manhattan beach. Many of you might be completely unaware of what is happening down here. We have been ignored, abandoned by the media and the powers that be. Street intersections have NO police officers regulating traffic. Drivers are frustrated and dangerous it is very scary to walk around with your child. Yet in midtown Manhattan there are police officers on every corner even though the traffic lights are working. Our neighborhoods, whatever is left of them are being looted. Yet I received an image from the upper east side of dozens upon dozens of national guard trucks being WASHED by the national guard soldiers who could instead be protecting our ravaged neighborhoods. I have seen 1 news team in 4 days in sheepshead bay, it was from channel 12.
In his defense, the bitch had a mean left hook. I mean, when you run for mayor of NYC, you are asking people to trust you that you will be able to take care of whatever comes, but this is some overwhelming lavender. Still, if Bloomy can't handle it, get out of the way and make room for someone who can.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Where is Occupy Sheepshead Bay? If Bloomberg is in a panic, I would think now is a great opportunity for community organizers to step in.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Enki

Post by Enki »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Where is Occupy Sheepshead Bay? If Bloomberg is in a panic, I would think now is a great opportunity for community organizers to step in.
They are busy in Redhook the Rockaways, Lower East Side and Staten Island. There was never a presence that moved into Sheepshead Bay as far as I know.
-Alexander Hamilton
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Enki wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:Where is Occupy Sheepshead Bay? If Bloomberg is in a panic, I would think now is a great opportunity for community organizers to step in.
They are busy in Redhook the Rockaways, Lower East Side and Staten Island. There was never a presence that moved into Sheepshead Bay as far as I know.
That is good news. No better time to establish a loyal constituency.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Enki

Post by Enki »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Enki wrote:
That is good news. No better time to establish a loyal constituency.
My wife spent the afternoon pushing the Sheepshead Bay story to local media. They seem to have picked it up. Delivering food is one thing but there are some things uu need an institutional level response for.
-Alexander Hamilton
Enki

Post by Enki »

Occupy had two distribution centers in Brooklyn.

http://interoccupy.net/occupysandy/
-Alexander Hamilton
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

What do hurricanes and marathons have in common?
Deep down I'm very superficial