Causes of violent death.

This too shall pass.

What been the most common way to violently die pre-maturally over the last 100 years?

Criminal gun violence?
10%
Automobile accident?
40%
Natural Disaster?
10%
Government?
40%

Total votes: 10

Doc

Causes of violent death.

Post by Doc »

What are the most common causes of violent premature death in the world today?

Interestingly in Non violent premature death, prescription drugs have surpassed auto accidents in the US.
Juggernaut Nihilism

Re: Causes of violent death.

Post by Juggernaut Nihilism »

Doc wrote:What are the most common causes of violent premature death in the world today?

Interestingly in Non violent premature death, prescription drugs have surpassed auto accidents in the US.

Do you have a source on that? (Not that I don't believe you, its just mind-blowing)
"The fundamental rule of political analysis from the point of psychology is, follow the sacredness, and around it is a ring of motivated ignorance."
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

US CDC | Leading Causes of Death: 1900-1998

US CDC | Leading Causes of Death: current

Heart disease: 599,413
Cancer: 567,628
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 137,353
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 128,842
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 118,021
Alzheimer's disease: 79,003
Diabetes: 68,705
Influenza and Pneumonia: 53,692
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 48,935
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 36,909
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Juggernaut Nihilism

I read that auto accidents kill 40-50,000 a year, and injure 3 million. That is... non-trivial, lol.
"The fundamental rule of political analysis from the point of psychology is, follow the sacredness, and around it is a ring of motivated ignorance."
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

With something like 30-40,000 Americans killed each year by gunshots, I would think natural disasters don't rank very high.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Zack Morris wrote:With something like 30-40,000 Americans killed each year by gunshots, I would think natural disasters don't rank very high.
Except the number is actually about 10k.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Doc

Post by Doc »

Juggernaut Nihilism wrote:
Doc wrote:What are the most common causes of violent premature death in the world today?

Do you have a source on that? (Not that I don't believe you, its just mind-blowing)
Gupta on CNN has been doing a series on it. I just read yesterday that a county in Eastern Kentucky with a population of 16,000 is having one death a week from prescription drugs.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/14/health/ke ... index.html
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:US CDC | Leading Causes of Death: 1900-1998

US CDC | Leading Causes of Death: current

Heart disease: 599,413
Cancer: 567,628
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 137,353
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 128,842
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 118,021
Alzheimer's disease: 79,003
Diabetes: 68,705
Influenza and Pneumonia: 53,692
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 48,935
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 36,909
THe number one violent premature cause of death in the last 100 years has been governments. You don't even have to look it up. At least a couple hundred million people.

If government was outlawed only outlaws would have government. But really there are plenty of outlaw run governments to go around. Hence the large amount of death by government.

But yikes !!! 48,935 death by flesh eating virus !!
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Enki wrote:
Zack Morris wrote:With something like 30-40,000 Americans killed each year by gunshots, I would think natural disasters don't rank very high.
Except the number is actually about 10k.
No, it's 30K, but half are suicides. Gun-related homicides number about 12K.
Crocus sativus

Post by Crocus sativus »

Biggest killer in America neither Heart disease nor Cancer, neither guns nor car accidents

Alcohol kills @lest 2-3 million Americans a year .. lots of alcoholics around, lots

Recently, 2 people I knew, Captain of private Yachts, died suddenly due to Alcohol .. liver has no nerves .. suddenly, one turns yellow and gone within 3 weeks, most of the time as secondary reason cancer of liver etc, personally rather be shot than go that way

Alcohol biggest killer,

Juggernaut Nihilism

Crocus sativus wrote:.

Biggest killer in America neither Heart disease nor Cancer, neither guns nor car accidents

Alcohol kills @lest 2-3 million Americans a year .. lots of alcoholics around, lots

Recently, 2 people I knew, Captain of private Yachts, died suddenly due to Alcohol .. liver has no nerves .. suddenly, one turns yellow and gone within 3 weeks, most of the time as secondary reason cancer of liver etc, personally rather be shot than go that way

Alcohol biggest killer,

Ban it... oh wait...
Doc

Post by Doc »

Alcohol biggest killer, .
Sure but I am talking about violent death throughout the world. For example how many boys were sent to their death by your government during the Iran-Iraq war?
Crocus sativus

Post by Crocus sativus »

Doc wrote:.

Sure but I am talking about violent death throughout the world. For example how many boys were sent to their death by your government during the Iran-Iraq war ?

DOC

What you read in western papers about Iran-Iraq war is western propaganda, rubbish

Iranian authorities had to turn volunteers away .. nobody was send anywhere .. more and less everybody volunteered .. my friends, all educated in European universities, most with Phd, some even not speaking well Farsi, volunteered and went to the front (even Shah's son volunteered to go to the front) .. yes, lots of young people .. and .. notion they fought for Khomeini or Islam rubbish, they all fought for Iran .. FYI, many Azari fought and died

and

yes

you don't fight with what you wish you had

you fight with what you have, including walking on the mines

and

that should show you with what kind of nation you dealin with :D

Iranians shoot Iraqi T-72

LwH-Vu4b5vU

Doc

Post by Doc »

Crocus sativus wrote:

Sure but I am talking about violent death throughout the world. For example how many boys were sent to their death by your government during the Iran-Iraq war ?

DOC

What you read in western papers about Iran-Iraq war is western propaganda, rubbish

Iranian authorities had to turn volunteers away .. nobody was send anywhere .. more and less everybody volunteered .. my friends, all educated in European universities, most with Phd, some even not speaking well Farsi, volunteered and went to the front (even Shah's son volunteered to go to the front) .. yes, lots of young people .. and .. notion they fought for Khomeini or Islam rubbish, they all fought for Iran .. FYI, many Azari fought and died

and

yes

and

that should show you with what kind of nation you dealin with :D.
I know two brothers that were sent to the US by their father because he did not want them volunteered for mine clearly duty. The older was 15 the younger 12. They couldn't go back for 20 years. Their father originally after the revolution donated use of his bulldozers to dig up the area around Evin prison. Yet he could not prevent his sons from being taken off to the front.

So sorry Azari but I am not buying it.
Crocus sativus

Post by Crocus sativus »

Doc wrote:
Crocus sativus wrote:

DOC

and

yes

and

I know two brothers that were sent to the US by their father because he did not want them volunteered for mine clearly duty. The older was 15 the younger 12. They couldn't go back for 20 years. Their father originally after the revolution donated use of his bulldozers to dig up the area around Evin prison. Yet he could not prevent his sons from being taken off to the front.

All kind of people exist, many left to Canada not to go to Vietnam ..

but

Iran survived last 1000 yrs not on the shoulders of those who sent their children to US to escape going to front, but on the shoulder of those who volunteered to fight the Tchingiz Khan and Saddam

you mistaken (British documentary)

Y0mP_sXfr0E

and , DOC .. those walking on the mines were not from those that could travel to US .. they were from villages

Doc

Post by Doc »

Crocus sativus wrote:
Doc wrote:
Crocus sativus wrote:

DOC

and

yes

and

All kind of people exist, many left to Canada not to go to Vietnam ..

but

Iran survived last 1000 yrs not on the shoulders of those who sent their children to US to escape going to front, but on the shoulder of those who volunteered to fight the Tchingiz Khan and Saddam

you mistaken (British documentary)

Y0mP_sXfr0E

and , DOC .. those walking on the mines were not from those that could travel to US .. they were from villages .
So you are saying that the mad mullahs used the children of the poor for suicide missions.

From the documentary "they lacked military skills" The reason they lacked military skills is Khomeini like Stalin had most of the officers killed.
Crocus sativus

Post by Crocus sativus »

and , DOC .. those walking on the mines were not from those that could travel to US .. they were from villages

So you are saying that the mad mullahs used the children of the poor for suicide missions.

Iran is (was) a poor country, 85% of Iranians not from those who send their kids to America .. meaning any "mass volunteer", by definition, comes from poor segment, the fabric, of the nation .. same in America, those
GI throwing candy to Afghan children and shooting them when the kids coming to pick up the candy, they all from poor segment of America

and

why your's are "mission" and Iran's is "suicide missions" ? ? were Brits or French fighting Germans or French on suicide mission ? ? or the Russians Hitler ? ?

come on, come on, no label

From the documentary "they lacked military skills" The reason they lacked military skills is Khomeini like Stalin had most of the officers killed.

look, DOC, if you compare all revolutions of last 200 yrs, French revolution, Russian revolution, China MAO .. Iranian one was the most peaceful and bloodless revolution .. I myself was "witness" on the street present in all what was happening

and

I find it really funny, you guys on Saddam side with everything in the book, including Chemical and BIO, and , shooting an Iranians airliner .. and .. still can find the guts to say to an Iranian why Iranians defended their homes with teeth and nail

Yes, DOC, those were volunteers .. nobody pushed them or sent them anywhere, in contrary, has to hold them back

and

Khomeini killed few top military personnel, killed were those who where probable CIA tools for a re-run of 1953 (my guess max 20 top officers were killed) .. FYI, Khomeini (as he did not predict war with Saddam) furlough the top military, telling them they should retire, most did (like Iraq when US invaded, all Saddam top military sent into retirement)

Last edited by Crocus sativus on Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Crocus sativus wrote:

Iran is (was) a poor country, 85% of Iranians not from those who send their kids to America .. meaning any "mass volunteer", by definition, comes from poor segment, the fabric, of the nation .. same in America, those
GI throwing candy to Afghan children and shooting them when the kids coming to pick up the candy, they all from poor segment of America

and

why your's are "mission" and Iran's is "suicide missions" ? ? were Brits or French fighting Germans or French on suicide mission ? ? or the Russians Hitler ? ?

come on, come on, no label

look, DOC, if you compare all revolutions of last 200 yrs, French revolution, Russian revolution, China MAO .. Iranian one was the most peaceful and bloodless revolution .. I myself was "witness" on the street present in all what was happening

and

I find it really funny, you guys on Saddam side with everything in the book, including Chemical and BIO, and , shooting an Iranians airliner .. and .. still can find the guts to say to an Iranian why Iranians defended their homes with teeth and nail

Yes, DOC, those were volunteers .. nobody pushed them or sent them anywhere, in contrary, has to hold them back

and

Khomeini killed few top military personnel, killed were those who where probable CIA tools for a re-run of 1953 (my guess max 20 top officers were killed) .. FYI, Khomeini (as he did not predict war with Saddam) furlough the top military, telling them they should retire, most did (like Iraq when US invaded, all Saddam top military sent into retirement).
The most recent revolution in Iran has not been particularly non-violent.

And it is not true about Iraq after teh US invaded. The entire Iraqi army was dismissed. Mostly they did not show up to their barracks but just the same.
Juggernaut Nihilism

Crod, the difference between the French, Chinese, Russian, etc resolutions and the Iranian revolution is that the first three were trying to make the transition into modernity. The Iranian revolution was about regressing back out of modernity.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Juggernaut Nihilism wrote:Crod, the difference between the French, Chinese, Russian, etc resolutions and the Iranian revolution is that the first three were trying to make the transition into modernity. The Iranian revolution was about regressing back out of modernity.
If that is the case, then why is Iran the most sophisticated state that labors under sanctions in the world? Without sanctions imagine what a dynamic economy they'd have.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Juggernaut Nihilism

The economy wouldn't be particularly dynamic. Being awash in oil money, and having a nation completely dependent on a single industry that you can't even fully exploit without foreign help doesn't qualify as dynamic. And i guess we have different definitions of the word "sophisticated". I guess because they are a Muslim country, you are holding them to a low standard and saying that just because they aren't Saudi Arabia or Sudan they are somehow sophisticated. Iran is a totalitarian religious state with no concept of democratic citizenship or loyal opposition, who responds to meaningful challenges by bringing in foreign thugs to murder its own people.

It is reasonable to wonder about the benefits of modernity, and to say that, perhaps, Iran is right to worry about its erosive effects and reject it. But it is anti-modern, for better or worse.
Crocus sativus

Post by Crocus sativus »

Enki wrote:.
Juggernaut Nihilism wrote:.

Crod, the difference between the French, Chinese, Russian, etc resolutions and the Iranian revolution is that the first three were trying to make the transition into modernity. The Iranian revolution was about regressing back out of modernity.

If that is the case, then why is Iran the most sophisticated state that labors under sanctions in the world? Without sanctions imagine what a dynamic economy they'd have.

Googled but could not find out what "Crod" means, pls enlighten

JN, you misunderstood all those 4 revolutions

Iranian and Chinese revolutions were "Cultural Revolutions" .. they were against "western civilization taking over the # one and the # 2 civilization manking has seen in human history"

IYjVGZmY8k4

French Revolution was uprising of the street agaisnt their own perverted European blue blood

and

Russian revolution was a conspiracy agaisnt Russian people

and

you mistaken re Iranian revolution and modernity

Iran is an example of a country that has made considerable advances through education and training, despite international sanctions in almost all aspects of research during the past 30 years.
Iran's university population swelled from 100,000 in 1979 to 2 million in 2006. 70% of its science and engineering students are women.

Iran's scientific progress is reported to be the fastest in the world.
According to SCImago, Iran could rank fourth in the world in terms of research output by 2018.

The economy wouldn't be particularly dynamic. Being awash in oil money, and having a nation completely dependent on a single industry that you can't even fully exploit without foreign help doesn't qualify as dynamic.

And i guess we have different definitions of the word "sophisticated". I guess because they are a Muslim country, you are holding them to a low standard and saying that just because they aren't Saudi Arabia or Sudan they are somehow sophisticated.

Iran is a totalitarian religious state with no concept of democratic citizenship or loyal opposition, who responds to meaningful challenges by bringing in foreign thugs to murder its own people.

It is reasonable to wonder about the benefits of modernity, and to say that, perhaps, Iran is right to worry about its erosive effects and reject it.

But it is anti-modern, for better or worse.

Iran's per capita Oil income is less than "$ 2 a day" .. that is Brutto and not even NET

The export of non-oil products have been increased by 29 percent in the first half of the current Iranian year (started on March 20, 2012) compared to the corresponding period last year, a senior official at Iran's Trade Promotion Organization (ITPO) announced.

He said that some 17.886 billion dollars worth of non-oil products, weighed over 32 million tons, were exported during the period, adding some 1.814 billion dollars worth of technical and engineering services have also been exported to several world countries.
all this despite sanctions against Iranian banks and shipping and insurance and you name it.. and and :lol: :lol:

Iran is less religious state than Israel (4get Arab Zoo) .. can you ride any bus in "Sabat" in Israel, or separate bus for man and woman and and ? ?

NJ, all your views re Iran is from western media .. all wrong .. why not take a week vacation to Iran and see things yourself .. ain't so

Juggernaut Nihilism

Croc, effective propaganda starts with the truth and weaves in a few half-truths and exaggerations to shape a narrative. I find your insistence that every word i read about Iran is a total lie to be about as convincing as claims that the media is covering up the fact that Cheney's thugs fired a missile at the Pentagon on 9/11.
Crocus sativus

Post by Crocus sativus »

Croc, effective propaganda starts with the truth and weaves in a few half-truths and exaggerations to shape a narrative. I find your insistence that every word i read about Iran is a total lie . .

Iran, Islam, Middle East and everything related to that space is now highly political .. pretty much 110% pitched and doctored .. lies, distortion and and

all the above for many reason .. Oil , Israel, Russia, China , western leadership of world (meaning Africa, South America, etc etc) in danger

in that sense, dear "Juggernaut Nihilism", YES, everything you read (assuming you read and watch western-media) is a lie, distorts your view and judgements

unless

you are scholarly researcher, speak a few language .. or .. rely on those who are and do

unfortunately, Juggernaut Nihilism, that is the way it is

I would recommend to take a 2 week tourist trip to Iran and check things yourself .. most my western friends coming back visiting Iran they delighted AND born-again

Juggernaut Nihilism

I'll make you a deal: overthrow your medieval religious dictator and I'll be on the next flight.