Die as I prescribe, not as I die

This too shall pass.
Marcus

Re: Die as I prescribe, not as I die

Post by Marcus »

Mr. Perfect wrote:. . I hope no one suggests that people are fat because of the health care system, or that the health care system should be making people less fat, or that other countries are less fat because of their health care systems, because none on that is true. . .
Ummmm . . actually that's exactly what I'm suggesting. "Health Care," like Christ's robe, is a seamless garment the warp and weft of which consists of far more than purely medical expertise.
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Marcus, I know of no Dr that knows how to get people to stop eating donuts, candy bars, cakes, potato chips, soft drinks, etc.

Every fat person I know gets lectured by the dr whenever they go, beyond that i don't know what anyone expects to happen. Our health is our responsibility as individuals.
Censorship isn't necessary
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Marcus, I know of no Dr that knows how to get people to stop eating donuts, candy bars, cakes, potato chips, soft drinks, etc.

Every fat person I know gets lectured by the dr whenever they go, beyond that i don't know what anyone expects to happen. Our health is our responsibility as individuals.
I understand your point, Mr. P, I just think the issue requires a much broader context.

We are, I think, at a point where further discussion is fruitless . . to each his own, and all that. Perception is reality.

• And this for Ib: "Read The China Study" and get back to me. (Not directed at or intended for you, Mr. P . . just had to confirm Ib's accusations for him.)
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

And the first comment is from a smartass.......'p..........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

Well, I have some recent data to provide here.

Cost of late wife to health services, first 64 years of life: very small , perhaps £10-20K at current prices (two small ops, max time in hospital 2 days, some visits to primary care GP).
Last 10 months of life: > £100,000 ($160K) + foregone income by family . And she decided "no more" about two months before the end, otherwise they would have ploughed on longer with sh*t quality.

It is still impossible to discuss this, "death panels" and all, but it has to be faced, otherwise cancer +alzheimers just bankrupts us all. The sotto voce refrain of the younger generations a few years hence "Die, baby boomers, die...."
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

I think, devoid of hope, we have forgotten how to die well.
--- Richard Nixon
—John Calvin
Enki

Post by Enki »

Torchwood wrote:Well, I have some recent data to provide here.

Cost of late wife to health services, first 64 years of life: very small , perhaps £10-20K at current prices (two small ops, max time in hospital 2 days, some visits to primary care GP).
Last 10 months of life: > £100,000 ($160K) + foregone income by family . And she decided "no more" about two months before the end, otherwise they would have ploughed on longer with sh*t quality.

It is still impossible to discuss this, "death panels" and all, but it has to be faced, otherwise cancer +alzheimers just bankrupts us all. The sotto voce refrain of the younger generations a few years hence "Die, baby boomers, die...."
Yes, this is going to be a very tough one to deal with. Especially since Boomers voting themselves entitlements at the expense of everyone else is going to bring resentment and bitterness with the policy changes that will come as my generation becomes the men and women in their 40s and 50s making policy decisions that impact the lives of our 80 year old parents.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Invest in pine boxes.

Ponzie schemes have one outcome, one outcome only.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Torchwood wrote:Well, I have some recent data to provide here.

Thank you for sharing that data.
Torchwood wrote:It is still impossible to discuss this, "death panels" and all, but it has to be faced, otherwise cancer +alzheimers just bankrupts us all.
Indeed.

The current Japanese Finance Minister got into a bit of trouble for impolitely stating the obvious.

The Guardian was not amused.
Torchwood wrote:The sotto voce refrain of the younger generations a few years hence "Die, baby boomers, die...."
A yet-to-be written Weird Al Yankovic parody of "Bye, bye, Miss American Pie" is playing is playing in my mind.

Sh8mNjeuyV4
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

The Democrats started out to destroy America, and they have succeeded.