World Population Growth is slowing, may see global decline

This too shall pass.
Enki

World Population Growth is slowing, may see global decline

Post by Enki »

Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Zack Morris

Re: World Population Growth is slowing, may see global decli

Post by Zack Morris »

As it must and should.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Not too surprising. One thing that has been empirically observed is that as societies industrialize the birth rate plummets.

The overpopulation meme will probably not die out until it's proponents do.

Guys such as Paul Ehrlich are still cited as experts with insight despite having been dead wrong in their predictions for decades:

WUWT | Great moments in failed predictions
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

Research suggests we may actually face a declining world population in the coming years.

Good.

As far as I'm concerned Goldman's best line was "German will soon be spoken only in hell".

My response was that a Germany with 20 or 30 million people would be a much pleasanter place to live than it is now.

What's good for the Germans is good for the rest of humanity. There are far too many of us (and at the risk of attack from the usual suspects, I'd say that today it's exactly the wrong people who are having too many kids. Shame on them).
Farcus

Post by Farcus »

Typhoon wrote:
Not too surprising. One thing that has been empirically observed is that as societies industrialize the birth rate plummets.

Guys such as Paul Ehrlich are still cited as experts with insight despite having been dead wrong in their predictions for decades:

Happily, it seems Ehrlich's been a victim of his own successes.

Faith-based arguments are a roll of the dice, no? :D
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

China's working-age population shrank in 2012, marking the beginning of a trend that will accelerate over the next two decades.
By the end of December China's population aged between 15 and 59 was 937.27 m, a decrease of 3.45m from 2011, according to figures released by China's National Bureau of Statistics on Friday. "In 2012 for the first time we saw a drop in the population of people of working age ... We should pay great attention to this fact," said Ma Jiantang, head of the National Bureau of Statistics.

"There are different opinions on whether this means that the demographic dividend that has driven growth in China for many years is now coming to an end," he added, noting that it was only the start of a long-term trend that would see steady decreases in the working age population each and every year between now and at least 2030.

Mr Ma described last year's drop as "worrying", even as the Chinese economy rebounded in the fourth quarter. China's gross domestic product grew 7.9 per cent year-on-year in the final three months, up from 7.4 per cent in the third quarter and breaking a streak of seven consecutive weaker quarters.

etc

Enki

Post by Enki »

Typhoon wrote:

Well, another issue with industrialization is that consumption goes up. If your population goes down by 10% total but consumption goes up by 15%...
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Enki

Post by Enki »

"Most countries begin to upgrade their economic model and raise productivity when faced with declining populations," said Vincent Chan, an economist at Credit Suisse. "Wage increases, more automation and production of better-quality products are all likely to become stronger structural trends in China."
From Azari's article.
-Alexander Hamilton
Farcus

Post by Farcus »

Chomsky's Resource Race. High Density Liquid Energy is the fuel of economies, and consequently, geopolitics.

"The pump don't work 'cause the vandals stole the handle" - A Jew with a guitar.
"genuflect that" -- Uncle Sam

See some sort of coincidence in a scion son of a Sinologist inserting US soldiers into some seriously sandy spots? I don't.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Boy, it could inspire you to adopt the pseudonym of Oswald Spengler and lament mankind's destruction.

You guys aren't behind the curve at all. :)
Censorship isn't necessary
Enki

Post by Enki »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Boy, it could inspire you to adopt the pseudonym of Oswald Spengler and lament mankind's destruction.

I love how life to you is like Nielsen ratings.
-Alexander Hamilton
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Apollonius wrote: I'd say that today it's exactly the wrong people who are having too many kids. Shame on them).
Evolution, what can you do about it. :)
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Enki wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:Boy, it could inspire you to adopt the pseudonym of Oswald Spengler and lament mankind's destruction.

I love how life to you is like Nielsen ratings.
I guess.

I don't love how life for you guys is like the old Arnold movie about last man standing survival for reality TV. Your commitment to destroying human existence is astonishing.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Why would anyone lament such good news?
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I don't think anyone could argue with you Zack. If leftists decide to self terminate who am I really to complain about it.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Mr. Perfect wrote: I guess.

I don't love how life for you guys is like the old Arnold movie about last man standing survival for reality TV. Your commitment to destroying human existence is astonishing.
It's funny how seriously disturbed you are. The only thing threatening human existence is that we are more populous than ever and certain people, you for instance, think that poisoning the commons is ok and has no ill effects as long as it makes money.

We're not 4000 people in the desert. And that is part of what drives the capitalistic greed in our society. People live in the plentiful oasis as though it is scarce and they'll be shuffling on soon.
-Alexander Hamilton
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Whatever little fairy tales you tell yourself, fine with me.

When governments go bankrupt and the helpless die in the streets because of it I will think of you guys.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Whatever little fairy tales you tell yourself, fine with me.
It's basic understanding of how the world works. Fairy tales are that no matter what we need to breed more and make more money.
When governments go bankrupt and the helpless die in the streets because of it I will think of you guys.
If you weren't an ideological quotebot you might note that many of us have children and are carrying on into the next generation. ;)

If that happens, I'll definitely think of you as well.
-Alexander Hamilton
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Enki wrote: It's basic understanding of how the world works. Fairy tales are that no matter what we need to breed more and make more money.
When you set up ponzi scheme societies, that's exactly what you have to do. Or you'll all die. Or most of you anyway.
If you weren't an ideological quotebot
As you have found out recently, you have to speak in a language your audience understands.
you might note that many of us have children and are carrying on into the next generation. ;)
Anecdotes don't overcome averages (see OP)
I'm often told people think of me often after spending any time around me. I don't know if that is good or bad though.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Enki wrote: It's basic understanding of how the world works. Fairy tales are that no matter what we need to breed more and make more money.
When you set up ponzi scheme societies, that's exactly what you have to do. Or you'll all die. Or most of you anyway.
As you have found out recently, you have to speak in a language your audience understands.
you might note that many of us have children and are carrying on into the next generation. ;)
I'm often told people think of me often after spending any time around me. I don't know if that is good or bad though.
I miss the unearned confidence. You were more fun before you became so mopey. When you thought Romney was going to win, everything was sunshine and roses. Now that Obama has won, you see Christ riding his pale white horse to scourge all of the rest of us.
-Alexander Hamilton
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Just being honest.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Just being honest.
The change is refreshing I suppose.
-Alexander Hamilton
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Enki wrote: You were always talking like you were a political hack selling a candidate to a credulous electorate. That is by its very nature dishonest.
I didn't say one dishonest thing about Romney.
You're probably right, you will die, and from your perspective everyone in the world is going to die with you.
Yes, our mortal bodies will fail, but something else continues on. The type of reality you experience later on is dictated by what you do here. Some will not enjoy it very much.
Juno

Post by Juno »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Been wondering how you were doing lately, Mr. P. Salutations and bladishments to ye.
Proud Member International Brotherhood of Bullfighters, Rodeo Clowns, and Barrelmen, Local 17
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Enki wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

Well, another issue with industrialization is that consumption goes up. If your population goes down by 10% total but consumption goes up by 15%...
And . . . ?
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.