Pope Down

This too shall pass.
Heracleum Persicum

Re: Pope Down

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Alexis wrote:.
Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

Look, Endo, what Catholic church now needs, B4 too late, is a Catholic KHOMEINI .. a revolutionary

A Khomeini-like Pope? :lol:

So he would:
- send the Swiss guards take hostage the American ambassador in Vatican...
- enlist Catholic children to die on minefields with "key to Heavens" as necklace...
- have uranium centrifugation units installed in Vatican caves...

No, thank you.
:P

Look, Alexis .. revolutionary approach must be adapted to territory and circumstances

Khomeini's theater of operation was (is) Middle East, central Asia and North Africa

A revolutionary Pope has to SWING much WIDER .. things really off track, devil has high-jacked the whole thing .. to strengthen things in Pope's territory, he goto
swing @ least 100 fold of Khomeini's doing

Will happen .. am sure Catholic hierarchy, Popes, waiting for REVENGE for what happened to them

noddy

Post by noddy »

last time i looked their where plenty of options for the christian who wanted progressive revolutionary kinds of things and their is a chicken and egg thing going on here where the chattering class blame the pope for the crusty traditional systems but i suspect that its actually the flock that drives that agenda.

popey boy just isnt that powerful - the progressives and media seem to take him more seriously than the catholics i know,.
ultracrepidarian
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Endovelico wrote:Let's hope that the next Pope comes from Latin America
Somewhat likely, but Italy and Africa are more likely.
and is a bit more receptive to a revival of the liberation theology.
Not so likely.

Although I think that the odds for the ultra-conservative Arinze, who may be too old at 80, are overstated on Paddy Power.
Stupidly - if I may say so - the more conservative wing of the Catholic Church did not understand that Liberation Theology was a bigger danger to Latin American communists and marxists, than Marxism was to Catholics...
Possibly.

When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.

Dom Hélder Câmara, Archbishop of Olinda and Recife.
cultivate a white rose
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

noddy wrote:last time i looked their where plenty of options for the christian who wanted progressive revolutionary kinds of things and their is a chicken and egg thing going on here where the chattering class blame the pope for the crusty traditional systems but i suspect that its actually the flock that drives that agenda.
I think that you are right, to some degree. Catholic "progressives" seem to understate the level of support for "traditionalism" in the pews.
popey boy just isnt that powerful
True; but it's "Popey man" to you, son. :wink:
- the progressives and media seem to take him more seriously than the catholics i know,.
Most nominal Catholics don't go to mass very often. I know this from experience. :wink:
cultivate a white rose
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Enki wrote:Welcome Peter the Roman and your reign over the tribulation and end of the church. ;)

Now we'll see if Mr. Perfect is right or not.
Two of the favorites to be the next pope (according to Paddy Power) are African.

It would be very amusing to see how conservative, millenarian, protestants react to a black pope. I would imagine that many would see it as the end times and/or accuse the poor fellow of being the anti-Christ.

Cardinal Peter Turkson, president of the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace (based in Rome).
cultivate a white rose
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:My favorite reaction so far has been:

"Well, he's German; if he says he can't get the job done no more, he can't get the job done."
I give the man a great deal of credit for retiring when he realized that he was getting too old and no longer had the energy required.

A man with a bigger ego wouldn't have done so.
cultivate a white rose
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Endovelico wrote:João Braz de Aviz and Odilo Pedro Scherer are two Brazilian cardinals who may have a chance.
Also Claudio Hummes.
cultivate a white rose
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Enki wrote:I'm calling Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone
Except that the man is known to be not very bright. Of the Italians, Angelo Scola and Gianfranco Ravasi have a better chance.
cultivate a white rose
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Azrael wrote:.

Cardinal Peter Turkson, president of the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace (based in Rome).

TuTu Comes to mind, sayin, when the Christians showed up in Africa, Blacks had the land and the the whites the gospel, when Blacks opened their eyes, the whites had the land and the blacks the gospel :lol:

monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Gay Red lines........ Not Black lines......

Post by monster_gardener »

Azrael wrote:
Enki wrote:Welcome Peter the Roman and your reign over the tribulation and end of the church. ;)

Now we'll see if Mr. Perfect is right or not.
Two of the favorites to be the next pope (according to Paddy Power) are African.

It would be very amusing to see how conservative, millenarian, protestants react to a black pope. I would imagine that many would see it as the end times and/or accuse the poor fellow of being the anti-Christ.

Thank You Very Much for your post, Azrael.........
IMVHO not so much..........

IMHO would depend on his policies..........

Are they Scripture based........

Gay Liberation would be a red line.......... not a black line.......... ;)

FWIW Conservative Episcopalians are joining with the conservative Black African Anglicans over the issue of Gay Priests and Gay Bishops............
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

I completely believe the official statements that he resigned for health reasons/age, and I think this is an intelligent precedent to set, given the sad end-phase of John Paul II, but that said having this current pope out of the way is a good thing. His links to the pedophilia coverup are one of the most damning criticisms of the Catholic Church today, and his interfaith activities also left something to be desired.

I agree with Tinker and others who predict an Italian pope next, though overly optimistic Canadians are talking about Marc Ouellet. I don't consider that likely, but insofar as I care at all who is the next pope I'll put on my patriotic hat and root for him on purely nationalistic grounds.
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Ibrahim wrote:I completely believe the official statements that he resigned for health reasons/age, and I think this is an intelligent precedent to set, given the sad end-phase of John Paul II,
Agreed.
but that said having this current pope out of the way is a good thing. His links to the pedophilia coverup are one of the most damning criticisms of the Catholic Church today, and his interfaith activities also left something to be desired.
mos def
I agree with Tinker and others who predict an Italian pope next,
It's a risky to bet against the Italians when it comes to the See of Peter.
though overly optimistic Canadians are talking about Marc Ouellet. I don't consider that likely,
Neither do I. Although, according to Paddy Power, he has good odds -- 7/2.
but insofar as I care at all who is the next pope I'll put on my patriotic hat and root for him on purely nationalistic grounds.
It's not a hockey game. :lol:
cultivate a white rose
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Azrael wrote:It's not a hockey game.
I care who wins a hockey game. 8-)
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

My take on the odds (according to Paddy Power)

Peter Turkson (3/1) -- Probably about where I'd put him. Being African might help, as there's been a lot of talk about the need to reach out to the developing world. He has a lot of experience at the Vatican and also has experience as a bishop, which should also help. He's also spent a lot of time in the U.S., which may get him some votes from there. He probably has a lot of support in the U.S., Africa and among bishops who want to see someone from the developing world in the chair of Saint Peter.

Mark Oullet (7/2) -- I think that there are some overly-optimistic Canadians putting their money where their hearts are. He'd probably make a pretty good Pope, though. Granted, he's pretty theologically conservative (they pretty much all are, after John Paul II and Benedict stacked the deck).

Francis Arinze (9/2) -- These odds are way too low. The man is 80, even older than Ratzinger was when he became Pope. They aren't going to pick such an old man as Pope after John Paul II and Benedict.

Leonardo Sandri (6/1) -- An Argentine but with Italian parents. Should get a lot of support in Latin America and Italy. A career diplomat, which could be helpful, especially in dealing with relations between Catholics in difficult areas for the faithful (eg the Middle East and China) and the respective governments. This might help him gain the support of cardinals who think the Pope will have a lot of diplomatic issues/headaches to deal with. What may count against him is that he has never been a bishop with his own diocese. His odds should probably be lower than 6/1.

Oscar Rodriquez Maradiaga (7/1) -- These odds are way too low. As far as I can tell, the thing he's known for is making inane comments about the sex abuse scandal.

Angelo Scola (8/1) -- Archbishop of Milan. Former Patriarch of Venice. The son of a truck driver. An intellectual. Scola is the author of numerous theological and pedagogical works on topics such as bio-medical ethics, theological anthropology, human sexuality and marriage and the family, which have been translated into several different languages. In addition, he is the author of more than 120 articles published in scholarly journals of philosophy and theology. He wrote his dissertation on the works of St. Thomas Aquinas. An active collaborator in the Communion and Liberation movement from the early 1970s, Scola was the Italian editor of the journal Communio founded by Henri de Lubac, Hans Urs von Balthasar, and Joseph Ratzinger (later to become Pope Benedict XVI). The odds should probably be a little lower, especially since he could get a lot of support from Italians and those with an intellectual bent. If I were a betting man, I'd probably bet on him, especially with those odds.

Gianfranco Ravasi (8/1) -- Lost out to Angelo Scola to succeed Dionigi Tettamanzi as archbishop of Milan. Not a good sign. I can't see him being more popular than Scola among Italians. His odds from Paddy Power seem pretty low to me; but somebody must like him. He's probably a good guy, just not quite Pope caliber. At least not yet.
Last edited by Azrael on Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
cultivate a white rose
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Ibrahim wrote:
Azrael wrote:It's not a hockey game.
I care who wins a hockey game. 8-)
Touche. :lol:

Put some money on it and then you'll care. :wink:
cultivate a white rose
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Azrael wrote:
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:My favorite reaction so far has been:

"Well, he's German; if he says he can't get the job done no more, he can't get the job done."
I give the man a great deal of credit for retiring when he realized that he was getting too old and no longer had the energy required.

A man with a bigger ego wouldn't have done so.
If that was he reason for retiring, then seconded.

Makes one wonder how many boomers will retire as gracefully . . .
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

Azrael wrote:My take on the odds (according to Paddy Power)
Looking to the challengers on that site, I see that Bono is at 1000/1, and Richard Dawkins at 666/1 :lol:

Funny, but not deserved, that he should be marked with the "Devil's number". Honest doubt about God is in no way devilish. :)
Evil spirits have no doubt about God... which doesn't prevent them being what they are!

---

On the activity of assessing chances of this or that cardinal to be elected the new pope, an ancient French saying comes to mind, which says that:
He who enters Pope in the conclave, goes out a Cardinal :mrgreen:

Election of Karol Wojtyla as John-Paul II was a big surprise... We may very well get a new one this time
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

This whole thing smells to high heaven of substance abuse. He was clearly doping, no way you retain that mass at that age.
Censorship isn't necessary
noddy

Post by noddy »

Mr. Perfect wrote:This whole thing smells to high heaven of substance abuse. He was clearly doping, no way you retain that mass at that age.
once you haz the transubstantiation powers then wine is but a gateway to other, stronger drugs.
ultracrepidarian
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Taking Odds on the Next Pope

I particularly liked what they said about

Cardinal Francis Arinze (Nigeria) 6-to-1 odds

Pros: Hasn’t committed a sin since 1949. Due to a rather amusing mishap, once inadvertently attended a Jimmy Buffett concert and turned the other cheek so many times in a three hour span that he actually created a fluke gravitational field and pulled dozens of nearby BBQ grills and empty kegs into orbit around him.

Cons: He’s freaking 80-years-old; he calls FM radio “a fad” and his family has gone to elaborate lengths to prevent him from ever discovering that Diagnosis: Murder got cancelled like 10 years ago.
cultivate a white rose
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:This whole thing smells to high heaven of substance abuse. He was clearly doping, no way you retain that mass at that age.
once you haz the transubstantiation powers then wine is but a gateway to other, stronger drugs.
+1
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Jesus turned grass into grass for six days and on the seventh he sat down and smoked.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Enki

Post by Enki »

http://gawker.com/5983692/watch-lightni ... esignation

Lightning struck St. Peter's Basilica. I think that Peter the Roman is going to actually be the lich of St. Peter.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Enki wrote:http://gawker.com/5983692/watch-lightni ... esignation

Lightning struck St. Peter's Basilica. I think that Peter the Roman is going to actually be the lich of St. Peter.
Wonder how many times that has ever happened? The odds must be astronomical
Been busy doing stuff
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Smokes vs. Brownies on the Good Ship William F. Buckley.....

Post by monster_gardener »

YMix wrote:Jesus turned grass into grass for six days and on the seventh he sat down and smoked.
Thank You VERY Much for your post, YMix........

;) :) :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Might have been better to have Mary make brownies........ ;)

If it ever becomes legal....... That's the route I'm most interested in..........

But not until....... Too much confiscation danger.......

And I don't have a yacht like the late William F. Buckley did when he tried marijuana and pronounced the laws against it counter productive.....
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light