Boars rampant

This too shall pass.
Typhoon

Boars rampant

Post by Typhoon »

Mod Farmer |Who Can Stop These Adorable Pigs?
This may seem like a ludicrous pitch for a doomsday blockbuster or a leftover gag from Babe: Pig in the City or an excuse to put even more bacon in our diet but the fact is, wild pigs have overrun the planet. To wit: Pig populations are nearing a million in the state of Florida, encroaching on urban areas and destroying an F-16 fighter plane in Jacksonville. Feral pigs are running (hog) wild in the streets of Berlin, with dedicated pig squads waging a losing battle to overtake them. They’ve become a fixture on the West Bank, after Israeli settlers, some say, released boars to destroy Palestinian croplands. There are even thousands of radioactive wild pigs wandering Europe, thanks to the tainted feeding grounds near Chernobyl.

“The biggest challenge is to get people to take this seriously,” says John Mayer of Savannah River National Laboratory, one of the world’s foremost wild pig authorities. “You start talking about this and people go ‘Come on, you’re kidding me, wild pigs?!’”

But the issue is as serious as swine flu, with a global explosion of wild pigs destroying natural ecosystems, spreading disease, causing a billion dollars in agricultural damage, and proving themselves nearly impossible to combat.
Day of the Piglets?
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Re: Boars rampant

Post by noddy »

we have had this problem in australia for ages - you need rednecks on rum with hunting dogs and rambo knives... mayhaps america could hire some out.

b2tt_X5OZ6U
ultracrepidarian
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

How to Bore a Boar........

Post by monster_gardener »

noddy wrote:we have had this problem in australia for ages - you need rednecks on rum with hunting dogs and rambo knives... mayhaps america could hire some out.

b2tt_X5OZ6U
Thank You VERY Much for your post, noody.

Have a friend who has hunted feral hogs......

Will let him know of Oz's need for Uz to help out....

Meanwhile, here is a useful tool..........
A boar spear is a spear used for boar hunting. It is relatively short and heavy and has two "lugs" or "wings" on the spearsocket behind the blade, which act as a barrier to prevent an injured and furious boar from working its way up the shaft of the spear to attack the hunter.

The boar spear also became popular as a weapon of war, since the lugs can also be used to hook shields out of the way during combat, as well as preventing a spear thrust from going too far into a victim (particularly a charging horse), thus making it easier to quickly withdraw, and less likely to break.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boar_spear

For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Enki

Post by Enki »

Wild Bacon!
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

No, no, no . . . . y'all go on down south of New Orleans, get a bunch of Cajuns together and tell them that wild pig is good to eat but the season is closed.

They'll take it from there . . . ;)
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Very old news. And a very good reason to get some assault weapons. Right wingers on the case.

ETgmlcIED6E
Censorship isn't necessary
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Very old news. And a very good reason to get some assault weapons. Right wingers on the case.

ETgmlcIED6E
Accodring to Mod Farm

HELICOPTER HUNTING
Pros: More effective than ground hunting, Ted Nugent-approved
Cons: Extremely expensive, smart pigs have learned to evade “pork choppers”
Effectiveness: Low
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

:)

What's the effective way to hunt hogs. What's a mod farm?
Censorship isn't necessary
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote::)

What's the effective way to hunt hogs. What's a mod farm?
Modern Farmer. The source of the original article.

A sidebar there reviews the various boar hunting methods.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Journey to the West with Pigs, Rakes, Hoes & Chaos Monkeys..

Post by monster_gardener »

Typhoon wrote:Mod Farmer |Who Can Stop These Adorable Pigs?
This may seem like a ludicrous pitch for a doomsday blockbuster or a leftover gag from Babe: Pig in the City or an excuse to put even more bacon in our diet but the fact is, wild pigs have overrun the planet. To wit: Pig populations are nearing a million in the state of Florida, encroaching on urban areas and destroying an F-16 fighter plane in Jacksonville. Feral pigs are running (hog) wild in the streets of Berlin, with dedicated pig squads waging a losing battle to overtake them. They’ve become a fixture on the West Bank, after Israeli settlers, some say, released boars to destroy Palestinian croplands. There are even thousands of radioactive wild pigs wandering Europe, thanks to the tainted feeding grounds near Chernobyl.

“The biggest challenge is to get people to take this seriously,” says John Mayer of Savannah River National Laboratory, one of the world’s foremost wild pig authorities. “You start talking about this and people go ‘Come on, you’re kidding me, wild pigs?!’”

But the issue is as serious as swine flu, with a global explosion of wild pigs destroying natural ecosystems, spreading disease, causing a billion dollars in agricultural damage, and proving themselves nearly impossible to combat.
Day of the Piglets?
Thank You VERY Much for your post, Typhoon.

Hunters beware if you see a 2 legged Pigsy with a rake or a hoe :twisted: over his shoulder.........

Word is that he now packs a rifle....

And has the most powerful Chaos Monkey :) in the Universe and others as his brothers in arms.

Your best tactic may be to send in more hoes ;) :twisted: for the rake....

On the right......

Non hot link to a better but non wiki image.....

http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2 ... minred.jpg
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

How can there be an overpopulation of pigs when pork is so tasty? Even Palestine is bound to have some Christians who like pork.
cultivate a white rose