Eric Cantor kills SOPA

This too shall pass.
Enki

Eric Cantor kills SOPA

Post by Enki »

https://www.examiner.com/computers-in-d ... kills-sopa

Now we need to get rid of PIPA, the same law basically.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Re: Eric Cantor kills SOPA

Post by monster_gardener »

Enki wrote:https://www.examiner.com/computers-in-d ... kills-sopa

Now we need to get rid of PIPA, the same law basically.
Thank you VERY Much for your post and the link, Tinker/Enki.

Thanks also for the good news.............

AND the warning that we/US should now call our Senators to stop PIPA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PROTECT_IP_Act
The PROTECT IP Act (Preventing Real Online Threats to Economic Creativity and Theft of Intellectual Property Act of 2011; United States Senate Bill S.968) is a proposed law with the stated goal of giving the US government and copyright holders additional tools to curb access to "rogue websites dedicated to infringing or counterfeit goods", especially those registered outside the U.S.[1] The bill was introduced on May 12, 2011 by Senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT)[2] and 11 initial bipartisan co-sponsors. The Congressional Budget Office estimated that implementation of the bill would cost the federal government $47 million through 2016, to cover enforcement costs and the hiring and training of 22 new special agents and 26 support staff.[3] The Senate Judiciary Committee passed the bill, but Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR) placed a hold on it.[4]

The PROTECT IP Act is a re-write of the Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act (COICA),[5] which failed to pass in 2010. A similar House version of the bill, the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA)[6] was introduced on October 26, 2011,[7] but was subsequently rejected by the White House on January 15th 2012.[8]

The Protect IP Act is scheduled to go before the Senate on January 24, 2012. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has said he plans to bring it up on the first day the Senate is back in session.[9]
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Carbizene

Post by Carbizene »

So is this the old 'bait and switch' ?
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Post by monster_gardener »

Carbizene wrote:So is this the old 'bait and switch' ?
Thank you VERY MUCH for the thought, Friend Carbizene

GOOD point!

You may be right!

Wikipedia apparently doesn't trust this either.............

Wiki is going on strike tomorrow to protest ...............

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wikipe ... d=15373251
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
noddy

Post by noddy »

http://blog.curry.com/stories/2012/01/1 ... rring.html

the TL;DR snapshot is that laws to control the dns servers are only needed if the dns servers dont comply with government demands - the dns root servers are complying with government demands so the law has become somewhat irrelevant.
As usual, the bought and paid for self-fulfilling tech press is missing the elephant in the room.

The blogosphere discussion surrounding a self-imposed 'blackout' of "key" websites and services that we apparently can't live without, is scheduled for this wednesday. All in protest of proposed legislation in the house and senate.

I submit this is a big fat red herring.

First some background:

Actually there are 3 pieces of legislation; the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) the Protect Intellectual Property Act (PIPA) and the Online Protection and Enforcement of Digital Trade Act (OPEN,) which is currently in draft form, initially proposed by Darrel Issa (R) who will be holding a hearing on Wednesday regarding the strong opposition to DNS 'tampering' as a punitive measure against foreign registered websites infringing on intellectual property and trademarks of US companies within the borders of the United States.

I have read all three pieces of legislation (its a hobby) and can confidently say that not only are they pretty much identical in scope. The key differences are that only SOPA proposes the DNS 'tampering', which would allow US officials to remove an infringing website's DNS records from the root servers if deemed to be operating in defiance of Intellectual Property and Trademark law, effectively rendering them unfindable when you type in a corresponding domain name website address.

The boundaries of what is legal and not is not actually contained in any of the bills, as they all universally refer to mainly the Lanham Act. All of it tried and true legislation. Nothing new there.

All three bills further provide language that will allow justice to forbid US based financial transaction providers, search engines and advertising companies from doing business with a 'website' that is found to be guilty of infringement.

Of the three proposals, OPEN appears most fair to all parties in any dispute, by requiring a complainant to post a bond when requesting an investigation of infringement in order to combat frivolous use of the provisions available.

The outrage over SOPA's DNS provisions is justified, but misdirected, Congress is already backpedaling on including it in any final legislation and even the Administration's own response to the "We the People Petitions on SOPA" included an firm stance against measures that would affect the DNS infrastructure:

We must avoid creating new cybersecurity risks or disrupting the underlying architecture of the Internet. Proposed laws must not tamper with the technical architecture of the Internet through manipulation of the Domain Name System (DNS), a foundation of Internet security. Our analysis of the DNS filtering provisions in some proposed legislation suggests that they pose a real risk to cybersecurity and yet leave contraband goods and services accessible online. We must avoid legislation that drives users to dangerous, unreliable DNS servers and puts next-generation security policies, such as the deployment of DNSSEC, at risk.

Without the DNS clause, it would appear perfectly logical that the government pursue action against websites that attempt to cash in on fake products and stolen intellectual property of it's people.

The entire reason for even trying to get a DNS provision into law is because it is nearly impossible to track down the owner of a website, or domain name, through today's registration tools.

A whois lookup on a domain name merely provides whatever information is given at time of registration, and there is no verification of the registrant.

So, here's what the press has missed;

During all the shouting about SOPA and proposed blackouts to 'protest', the organization that actually runs the DNS root servers, ICANN, the backbone of the web, has been quite busy in plain view on changing the game, in favor of the government.

It's been highly underreported that ICANN is now accepting submissions for new gTLD's, or 'generic top level domains'.

Without getting into all the details of what that means, other than possibly hundreds if not thousands of new domains like .shop .dork .shill and .drone that you will be able to register vanity domain names under, ICANN has come up with a new requirement upon registration:

You must verify who you are when you register a new domain name, even an international one.

So, if I pay GoDaddy or any other outfit my $9 for curry.blog and have it point to my server at blog.curry.com, I will have to prove my identity upon registration. Presumably with some form of government approved ID.

This way, when OPEN or perhaps a non-NDS-version of SOPA is passed, if you break the rules, you will be hunted down, regardless of where you live or operate since this also includes international domain names.

The Administration like this approach as well. Just read the language from the International Strategy For Cyberspace document [pdf]:

In this future, individuals and businesses can quickly and easily obtain the tools necessary to set up their own presence online; domain names and addresses are available, secure, and properly maintained, without onerous licenses or unreasonable disclosures of personal information.

onerous licenses and unreasonable disclosures of personal information clearly indicates you will have to provide verification of your identity, which in today's world is not a requirement.

"Hey Citizen, if you have nothing to hide, what are you worried about?" Just follow the rules and all will be fine. I don't think I need to explain the implications of this massive change in internet domain name policy and to your privacy.

The term for this new type of registration is Thick Whois and you'll be hearing about it eventually, when the so called 'tech press' stops their circle jerking around the latest facebook/google/twitter cat fights and actually starts reporting on things that matter.

Until then, feel free to make your google+ facebook and twitter icons all black, as your faux protest is futile. The real change, that of your privacy online, is being made in plain sight by former Director of the National Cyber Security Center of the Department of Homeland Security Rod Beckstrom, current CEO of ICANN. Shill anyone?
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

EFF | How PIPA and SOPA Violate White House Principles Supporting Free Speech and Innovation

Will the the US lobbyists and politicians succeed in gutting one of the great US success stories of the last decade?
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Yes they will, Typhoon. Eventually. If this legislation is killed, they'll find other ways to sneak it in bit by bit. Because of all the hoopla surrounding the Republican primaries, now is an ideal time for this bill to be pushed through, so there's a very good chance it will. Online piracy... what a joke! What year are we in, 1999? It didn't take extra legislation designed to circumvent our perfectly functional judicial process for Internet entrepreneurs (and established players) to figure out how to get people to spend money on media and software over the past decade. We're nickeled-and-dimed from every direction now and willingly put up with walled gardens like Apple's app store because we feel it's finally worth it. That still isn't enough? Let's not forget this is not about theft or direct loss of sales, but about potential sales, and only under the generous assumption that demand among media 'pirates' would continue to hold steady if they absolutely had to pay. I have yet to purchase a single song online and because I'm too busy to scour the web for increasingly difficult-to-find free music, I've simply stopped listening to new music (except via radio occasionally).
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

My impression is that the old school entertainment industry wants their pound of flesh and then some.

If I understand the proposed legislation, then this site, for example, could be held liable in the US for any music or other copyrighted videos posted.

That's ridiculous.
Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

This is sort of the distillation of America. It's not real, Stalin/Adolph - level oppression. They aren't hanging dissenters from lamp posts. It's just this maddeningly absurd, arbitrary and profligate use of force in essentially random applications. There is no rhyme or reason to what they decide needs the force of the government. As pointed out elsewhere, when they need to do important things like taxes and health care, it's gridlock. Come up with $94 million in industry lobbying, get a quick and nasty vote.

This government is a joke, except that they are dangerous.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

CW | Extradited to the USA over links. The Richard O’Dwyer case in the UK
So the long-awaited verdict on the extradition of Richard O’Dwyer has finally arrived, and, as feared, it's ridiculous. There are many others better qualified than I am to comment on the detailed legal issues of the lop-sided extradition treaty that lies at the heart of the case, so I would like to concentrate on two aspects that I feel better able to comment on. Both touch on what I think are fatal errors in the judgment; either is enough undermine its arguments.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The Reg | A preview of SOPA: Web shut down before my eyes
The topic is divisive, with some placing ultimate blame for the perceived necessity of these bills on Big Tech's refusal to grow up, and others on Big Content's inability to adapt. Even in the face of studies showing there are superior alternatives for everyone.

The mainstream press has largely remained mum on the subject. To contrast, the nerdosphere is livid.

While those backing the bill have agreed to take the DNS provisions off the table for this round of legislation, they won't stay that way for long. When combined with America's questionable approach to privacy issues, the US risks losing its leadership position as the place to do business online.
Should SOPA/PIPA or descendant bills pass, the internet is going to do what the internet does best: treat this new form of censorship as damage and route around it.
Enki

Post by Enki »

noddy showed me this: http://blog.curry.com/stories/2012/01/1 ... rring.html

It says basically that ICANN regulations are going to do what SOPA did anyway, even without the legislation.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

I don't have any confidence that there is a way to defeat it. Lawyers, legislation, yay! They make more than 3k pages of laws a day. You will get tired of following the issue. You will miss the hearings. You will fail to recognize critical measures when it is inserted into the 2014 Omnibus Mohair Subsidy and Bridge Refurbishing act.

This is the most surreal tyranny imaginable short of dosing everybody with acid.
Yukon Cornelius

A little self policing goes a long way...

Post by Yukon Cornelius »

150 years ago the Southern American states wanted "freedom" and "States Rights" to own slaves. "Free" to do "What", exactly?

That is the question. Maybe if places like The Pirate Bay were shunned as vehemently as SOPA, we wouldn't have drawn this sort of attention in the first place. Industries will not be ripped off indefinitely. You guys wouldn't either.

The reg hit it out of the park on this morning

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/01/17/beyond_sopa/
YMix

Re: A little self policing goes a long way...

Post by YMix »

Yukon Cornelius wrote:That is the question. Maybe if places like The Pirate Bay were shunned as vehemently as SOPA, we wouldn't have drawn this sort of attention in the first place. Industries will not be ripped off indefinitely. You guys wouldn't either.
You're forgetting something. As another website put it:

"The funny thing is, the bills wouldn't even accomplish what they set out to do. You could still get to Pirate Bay or whatever by using their IP address. All SOPA and PIPA would do is put crazy amounts of power in the hands of a few."
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Yukon Cornelius wrote:150 years ago the Southern American states wanted "freedom" and "States Rights" to own slaves. "Free" to do "What", exactly?

That is the question. Maybe if places like The Pirate Bay were shunned as vehemently as SOPA, we wouldn't have drawn this sort of attention in the first place. Industries will not be ripped off indefinitely. You guys wouldn't either.

The reg hit it out of the park on this morning

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/01/17/beyond_sopa/
I think both The Reg and you make a valid point.

However, I also don't think that this type of legislation is the way to deal with the issue.

This is the equivalent of applying the US TSA to the internet.
Yukon Cornelius

Post by Yukon Cornelius »

YMix wrote:You're forgetting something. As another website put it:

"The funny thing is, the bills wouldn't even accomplish what they set out to do. You could still get to Pirate Bay or whatever by using their IP address. All SOPA and PIPA would do is put crazy amounts of power in the hands of a few."
Yes, that's partly the point the Reg article made -- maybe American states would still have their "rights" had it not been for people pushing the issue in the way that the American South did. The situation is not sustainable, someone is going to have to throw out, or shun, or (like Google) not look up "spammy" sites. There is enough looting going on that the Industry will insist and be back.... bla bla bla, I'm just repeating the Reg story.

Otherwise, all I'm seeing in terms of practical arguments [against industry behaviour, not about the inevitable government power grab] is "Why do I have to have a region X DVD player," or "why do I have to wait an extra day in America for the Doctor Who Christmas special." Those aren't compelling arguments for theft -- but with a few million dollars in theft comes more police and policing power -- whether or not it's properly executed. It's happened too many times to mention.

I guess I don't understand why the internet industry hasn't even tried to take the starch out of places like The Pirate Bay -- the attitude seems to be more the opposite: she teased us, so the entertainment industry deserves what it gets. The attitude has become "if I can't get it when and how I want it, I'll steal it."

It doesn't (and CAN'T) work on a small scale any more than it worked for Corzine and MF Global.

this is not nam, this is bowling.. there are rules
noddy

Post by noddy »

they only stuffed up on this bill by concentrating on copyright which doesnt trigger a good kneejerk across enough sub cultures.

in australia they focused on terrorists and druglords and pedophiles and anonymous bullies causing pretty teenage girls to suicide.. and it all passed with approval across the authoritarian left and right.

expect a change in strategey for round 2, and as mentioned previously, getting homeland security people in as ceo's for backbone infrastructure makes the law moot anyway.

oh, and this.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news ... e-else.ars
The G8 group of countries—France, Italy, Germany, the UK, Japan, Canada, Russia, and the US—met this week in Deauville, France to talk about a huge list of issues, including the Internet. In a lengthy statement released at the end of Friday's meeting, the countries agreed on a 22-paragraph communiqué in which they lay out their view of the Internet—and make clear that laws apply in cyberspace exactly as they do in the real world.

The document says plenty of good things about free expression, the democratizing power of the Internet, and the need for "non-discrimination and fair competition." It also notes that these goods “must be included in a broader framework” of respect for the law and of protection for intellectual property.
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I love how anti-government everybody is getting. I love it. :P
Censorship isn't necessary
noddy

Post by noddy »

Yukon Cornelius wrote:
YMix wrote:You're forgetting something. As another website put it:

Yes, that's partly the point the Reg article made -- maybe American states would still have their "rights" had it not been for people pushing the issue in the way that the American South did. The situation is not sustainable, someone is going to have to throw out, or shun, or (like Google) not look up "spammy" sites. There is enough looting going on that the Industry will insist and be back.... bla bla bla, I'm just repeating the Reg story.

Otherwise, all I'm seeing in terms of practical arguments [against industry behaviour, not about the inevitable government power grab] is "Why do I have to have a region X DVD player," or "why do I have to wait an extra day in America for the Doctor Who Christmas special." Those aren't compelling arguments for theft -- but with a few million dollars in theft comes more police and policing power -- whether or not it's properly executed. It's happened too many times to mention.

I guess I don't understand why the internet industry hasn't even tried to take the starch out of places like The Pirate Bay -- the attitude seems to be more the opposite: she teased us, so the entertainment industry deserves what it gets. The attitude has become "if I can't get it when and how I want it, I'll steal it."

It doesn't (and CAN'T) work on a small scale any more than it worked for Corzine and MF Global.

this is not nam, this is bowling.. there are rules
slavery versus kids sharing music.. not sure these are in the same ballpark.

id be more comfortable with copyright law if

(a) it made distinctions between those that profit from the theft versus those that did what all humans do and share.. have you ever lent a book to someone ?
(b) it didnt pluck nonsense figures out of its back passage about the amounts involved.. a teenage kid on pocket money isnt capable of legally purchasing the amounts they claim they have lost.... in this context every time you lend a friend a book you have stolen from the book company and owe them full cover price ....
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Just to add to noddy's list of demands:

copyrights have to you know...expire. There are so many things that should be in the public domain by now which keep getting pushed back to benefit people who've made lifetimes off of this stuff. (Check out Disney for example and the fight that Paul MacCartney is starting to put up...what he can't live off his Wings money?) :lol:
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:Just to add to noddy's list of demands:

copyrights have to you know...expire. There are so many things that should be in the public domain by now which keep getting pushed back to benefit people who've made lifetimes off of this stuff. (Check out Disney for example and the fight that Paul MacCartney is starting to put up...what he can't live off his Wings money?) :lol:
i forgot that demand :)

yes, 20 years was fine and did benefit the actual creator ... indefinite extension because the new stuff is crap and the label is going broke is not.

the absurdity is being able to do a small amount of work and then spend eternity living off it.... right up until 1950ish a musician was like anyone else and went to work every day and got their money from their performance.. the internet is actually reverting things back to the historical norm and artists which understand that are still thriving... selling concert tickets, selling overpriced tshirts, selling fan club memberships.. its mainly the record labels which are trying to collect money for moments captured a long time ago.

im a software developer, this stuff is my livelihood - i only chase money from people making money off my work, those that use my stuff for learning or for commmunity work can get it for free, i do actually live by these standards.
ultracrepidarian
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Mr. Perfect wrote:I love how anti-government everybody is getting. I love it. :P
The political spectrum is not linear. Opposition to these laws is coming from a wide range of people, including the hardcore socialist left and the libertarian right. A bad law is a bad law.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Yukon Cornelius wrote: That is the question. Maybe if places like The Pirate Bay were shunned as vehemently as SOPA, we wouldn't have drawn this sort of attention in the first place. Industries will not be ripped off indefinitely. You guys wouldn't either.
The relatively minor offense committed by Pirate Bay is not an excuse for an even greater denial of service and innovation. Copyright infringement has to be recognized as a cost that can be constrained but is not worth eliminating if it comes at the expense of greater Internet freedom. As I pointed out, the tech industry has figured out how to provide a better service than the Pirate Bay that people are willing to pay for without resorting to draconian new legislation. The problem here is not piracy but that old industry's lack of creativity. The common good demands porous IP enforcement.