Protests around the world

This too shall pass.
Typhoon

Protests around the world

Post by Typhoon »

Economist | A wave of anger is sweeping the cities of the world. Politicians beware
The protests have many different origins. In Brazil people rose up against bus fares, in Turkey against a building project. Indonesians have rejected higher fuel prices, Bulgarians the government’s cronyism. In the euro zone they march against austerity, and the Arab spring has become a perma-protest against pretty much everything. Each angry demonstration is angry in its own way.

Yet just as in 1848, 1968 and 1989, when people also found a collective voice, the demonstrators have much in common. Over the past few weeks, in one country after another, protesters have risen up with bewildering speed. They have been more active in democracies than dictatorships. They tend to be ordinary, middle-class people, not lobbies with lists of demands. Their mix of revelry and rage condemns the corruption, inefficiency and arrogance of the folk in charge.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Enki

Re: Protests around the world

Post by Enki »

Typhoon wrote:Economist | A wave of anger is sweeping the cities of the world. Politicians beware
The protests have many different origins. In Brazil people rose up against bus fares, in Turkey against a building project. Indonesians have rejected higher fuel prices, Bulgarians the government’s cronyism. In the euro zone they march against austerity, and the Arab spring has become a perma-protest against pretty much everything. Each angry demonstration is angry in its own way.

Yet just as in 1848, 1968 and 1989, when people also found a collective voice, the demonstrators have much in common. Over the past few weeks, in one country after another, protesters have risen up with bewildering speed. They have been more active in democracies than dictatorships. They tend to be ordinary, middle-class people, not lobbies with lists of demands. Their mix of revelry and rage condemns the corruption, inefficiency and arrogance of the folk in charge.
OWS is out there going around to each of those protests creating international networks as well.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Enki

Post by Enki »

It's interesting how little people care about this stuff.

Even on highly literate forums such as this one people are far more interested in talking about the moves made by the elite than the moves made by the people.

This sort of perception is part of why the Elite rule, they rule by garnering attention.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
noddy

Post by noddy »

funny - i thought that was all we talked about.
ultracrepidarian
Enki

Post by Enki »

noddy wrote:funny - i thought that was all we talked about.
The mass unrest or the activities of the elite?
-Alexander Hamilton
noddy

Post by noddy »

Enki wrote:
noddy wrote:funny - i thought that was all we talked about.
The mass unrest or the activities of the elite?
well - barring a few well-to-do's most of us here are these mythical masses so its somewhat difficult to talk about such things any differently than we currently do - its not like you,sm,dou and zack are all the same "american mass" or if the bigger picture of america has any more coherancy of viewpoint than that little subset.

beyond that we have our little pool of foreigners each from a different country, each in a completely different environment with different problems and conditions.

one thing i can say for sure is that it was china that kept the rest of the world going recently due to america and europes problems and now china is going into post credit boom restructure mode its going to get even uglier and even more protest laden over the next year or two - the entire planet will be in proper anger mode and thats going to be interesting... deadly interesting

hold onto your hat - in some ways america and europe are ahead on this next stage because you started crashing earlier - im frontline for the china slowdown and my country is still in the early denial stages.
ultracrepidarian
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

As people all over the world get more educated, inequality and lack of justice becomes a major sore for many. Being rich doesn't justify becoming richer. People demand respect and fairness, and a chance to economic stability. The oligarchy is going to have a tough time, and their repressive apparatus may no longer be enough to keep the proles down. Better distribution of wealth and income will be mandatory, and if capitalism cannot provide it, then we will have to find an alternative.

Priorities are:

1. Development of renewable forms of energy, with the emphasis on solar energy.
2. Systematic recycling, to save resources.
3. Shift to cooperatives as the normal firm structure.
4. Reduction of working hours to eliminate unemployment, with higher production costs to be offset by innovation.
5. Global debt pardon.
6. State/community control of all financial institutions.
7. More participatory/direct democracy.
8. An end to all military bases abroad, and to all foreign military intervention anywhere in the world.
9. The UN as the only body allowed to intervene militarily where human rights are being disregarded.

A new world order must be based on the above.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

CANDU attitude about Gray Water & Mosques as Military Bases.

Post by monster_gardener »

Endovelico wrote:As people all over the world get more educated, inequality and lack of justice becomes a major sore for many. Being rich doesn't justify becoming richer. People demand respect and fairness, and a chance to economic stability. The oligarchy is going to have a tough time, and their repressive apparatus may no longer be enough to keep the proles down. Better distribution of wealth and income will be mandatory, and if capitalism cannot provide it, then we will have to find an alternative.

Priorities are:

3. Shift to cooperatives as the normal firm structure.
4. Reduction of working hours to eliminate unemployment, with higher production costs to be offset by innovation.
5. Global debt pardon.
6. State/community control of all financial institutions.
7. More participatory/direct democracy.
8. An end to all military bases abroad, and to all foreign military intervention anywhere in the world.
9. The UN as the only body allowed to intervene militarily where human rights are being disregarded.

A new world order must be based on the above.
Thank You Very Much for your post, Endo.

Although I like solar power, I am not sure it is up to our needs/wants...........

IMHO some sort of safe nuclear power like CANDU is going to be needed.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CANDU_reac ... y_features
Put a bucket in your shower........ Use the gray water to irrigate your garden........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_water

The UN has a rather bad record on doing this........ inaction in Africa and the Balkans come immediately to mind...... Rapes in Africa also........
Including illegal invasion ;) :twisted: oops I mean immigration.....

And the military bases known as mosques :twisted: where besides weapon storage

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/mi ... -base.html

instruction is sometimes given to Muslims to consider themselves "soldiers behind enemy lines" when in non-Muslim lands.......
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

It's not particularly newsworthy because the people protesting continually vote in people who do what they are protesting. Fleabaggers ushered in the era of the permanent 1% while the Brazilians will vote in whoever promises the most free stuff.

Cultural suicide.
Censorship isn't necessary
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Typhoon wrote:Economist | A wave of anger is sweeping the cities of the world. Politicians beware

This is exactly the kind of thing that freaks out the editorial board at The Economist. If ever there was a beacon of stability-for-stability's-sake its them. Don't revolt, peasants, you're screwing up my portfolio.

But if we take the long view this is all pretty mellow. Some minor violence, but compared to the history of social upheaval in Europe and Asia this is very light stuff. I'm all for it. The police could always ease up a bit though.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Ibrahim wrote:

This is exactly the kind of thing that freaks out the editorial board at The Economist. If ever there was a beacon of stability-for-stability's-sake its them. Don't revolt, peasants, you're screwing up my portfolio.

But if we take the long view this is all pretty mellow. Some minor violence, but compared to the history of social upheaval in Europe and Asia this is very light stuff. I'm all for it. The police could always ease up a bit though.
If they don't ease up they are going to start getting shot at.
-Alexander Hamilton
Enki

Post by Enki »

Ibrahim wrote:

If they don't ease up they are going to start getting shot at.
-Alexander Hamilton
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

You and your teabagging power fantasies.
Censorship isn't necessary