Steers, Queers, and Chicks with Sticks | LGBTetcetera

This too shall pass.
Heracleum Persicum

Re: Steers and Queers | The Homosexuality Issue

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Rabbi Gil Steinlauf is a leader of Adas Israel Congregation, a prominent synagogue in Northwest Washington.
He is married to another rabbi

:lol:

What a rubbish

Homosexuality a SIN in Judaism and Christianity

Would be same as if an Ayatollah would openly eat (and endorse) Vodka & Pork Chops and say Allah loves it

Come on

Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Better to do it in the open than be a hypocrite like the Ayatollah.
Heracleum Persicum

Zack Morris wrote:Better to do it in the open than be a hypocrite like the Ayatollah.

seconded :lol:

Ghom and Mashad (both top religion centers) are # 1 & 2 Alcohol consumption in Iran .. Most mad mullahs heavy drinkers

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Vox | Indiana's latest bill shows the new frontier in the battle over LGBT rights

"Religious freedom" legislation.

How is the economy in Indiana these days?
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Yukon Cornelius

Post by Yukon Cornelius »

Maybe those “Coexist” bumper stickers were meant to be ironic.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Yukon Cornelius wrote:Maybe those “Coexist” bumper stickers were meant to be ironic.
Hello, YC, good to hear from you.

Can some one explain to me the actual point of the apparently controversial law recently passed in Indiana?
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Yukon Cornelius wrote:Maybe those “Coexist” bumper stickers were meant to be ironic.

Can some one explain to me the actual point of the apparently controversial law recently passed in Indiana?
There are of course two sides to that. One says it is meant to discriminate against gays. The other says it is meant to protect religious rights without discriminating against gays. If the latter is true this is purely politics. If the former is true it is what it is.

Though I caught one point about Tim Cook condemning it from Limbaugh. (I don't listen to him much as I don't really like his style but he makes some sharp points sometimes) Which was Tim Cook complaining about a law in Indiana concerning gay right while at the same time he is using severally exploited labor in China to make his companies products? IE Did he write an Oped in any Chinese papers complaining about that?

This article gives some balance as far as I can tell

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/31/us/in ... .html?_r=0
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Heracleum Persicum

Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

There are of course two sides to that. One says it is meant to discriminate against gays. The other says it is meant to protect religious rights without discriminating against gays. If the latter is true this is purely politics. If the former is true it is what it is.

Though I caught one point about Tim Cook condemning it from Limbaugh. (I don't listen to him much as I don't really like his style but he makes some sharp points sometimes) Which was Tim Cook complaining about a law in Indiana concerning gay right while at the same time he is using severally exploited labor in China to make his companies products? IE Did he write an Oped in any Chinese papers complaining about that?

This article gives some balance as far as I can tell

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/31/us/in ... .html?_r=0

CSM : Does freedom of religion mean freedom to discriminate ? .. Short answer is, YES

General discrimination of homosexuals is wrong .. but .. there must be "certain" limitation to "certain" rights

It ain't a "preference", rather a "sexual abnormality"

Which "certain" limitation to "certain" rights ? ? ?

Media now reporting "Germanwings Flight 9525 co-pilot Andreas Lubitz" was an "In-closet homosexual", looks like he was trying to hide his homosexuality and having psychological conflicts doing so .. that happens in homosexual life quite often

Probably doctors and others (maybe Lufthansa people, lots of homosexuals in Airline crews) knew what was going on with Andreas Lubitz but either by (homosexual) solidarity or could not ring alarm for being sued as anti gay etc

Bk7ssWtxrPo

Yukon Cornelius

Typhoon wrote:

Good to be back -- found the thread on a Ripley-gets-found-by-a-salvage-team scale accident.

Probably the fairest thing I've read on this: David Brooks at the NYT http://t.co/CJmgc5F9z8
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Yukon Cornelius wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

Good to be back -- found the thread on a Ripley-gets-found-by-a-salvage-team scale accident.

Probably the fairest thing I've read on this: David Brooks at the NYT http://t.co/CJmgc5F9z8
I agree that he does make some valid points.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Arkansas passes 'religious freedom' bill similar to new Indiana law, sparking more protests

Published April 01, 2015

March 31, 2015: Demonstrators inside the Arkansas state Capitol in Little Rock, Ark. (AP)

Arkansas lawmakers on Tuesday approved a religious-freedom bill similar to the one recently passed in Indiana that critics say creates the potential for businesses and others to legally discriminate against people because of their sexual orientation.

The state’s Republican-led House gave final approval to the bill, which prohibits the state and local governments from infringing on a person's religious beliefs without a "compelling" interest.

The measure now goes to Republican Gov. Asa Hutchinson, who has said he will sign it into law.

Doug McMillon, the CEO of Arkansas-based Wal-Mart, issued a statement Tuesday pressing Hutchinson to "veto this legislation," and adding that the law would "undermine the spirit of inclusion" in the state.

"[It] does not reflect the values we proudly uphold," McMillon's statement read.

Indiana GOP Gov. Mike Pence signed a similar bill on Thursday, and 19 other states have comparable measures on the books.

Companies and lawmakers across the country denounced the Indiana law as discriminatory against gays, lesbians and others --and ordered that official business and travel there either be curtailed or stopped.

This week, hundreds of protesters filled the Arkansas Capitol urging Hutchinson to veto the bill, which is almost identical to the Indiana bill.

Both appear to state that a person could deny another person a service, based on a religious belief, and use that circumstance as a legal defense.

One frequently used example is a baker refusing a wedding cake order from a gay couple.

Pence and the leaders of the state’s Republican-led legislature have argued their bill does not legalize discrimination and is similar to a 1993 federal law signed by President Clinton and to legislation in 19 other states.

And it has been supported by such social conservatives and potential 2016 Republican presidential candidates as former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, Dr. Ben Carson, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum and Florida Sen. Marco Rubio.

However, the Indiana Republican lawmakers vowed Monday to clarify the law -- just before a front-page Indianapolis Star editorial with the giant headline “Fix This Now.”

Prior to the passage Tuesday of the Arkansas bill, the White House repeated its opposition to the Indiana law.

“This kind of public outcry … is indicative of how this piece of legislation flies in the face of values that people all across America strongly support,” said White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest. “Governor Pence falsely tried to suggest the law is the same as the 1993 law. That is not true.”

Earnest also said the Indiana law was a “significant expansion” of law.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/04 ... rking-more
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Yukon Cornelius wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

to serve t

The issue here is where do you draw the line?

Will Ministers be required to marry gay couples? If say a wedding cake company advertised itself as a "Christian wedding and catering company" Would it required to serve ceremonies that were contrary to the beliefs of its owners?
Heracleum Persicum

Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Yukon Cornelius wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

to serve t

Will Ministers be required to marry gay couples? If say a wedding cake company advertised itself as a "Christian wedding and catering company" Would it required to serve ceremonies that were contrary to the beliefs of its owners ?

Religions, Abrahamite religions in particular, are "ANTI human rights" .. pretty much all religious rules of Abrahamite religions, Christianity, Judaism and Islam, will not withstand "Cyrus the Persian" universal general human rights .. not a single one

As "human rights" is basis of humanity, those Abrahamite religions, religion in general, must be "SANITIZED" and considered as a "hobby" and not belief

Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Yukon Cornelius wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

to serve t

Will Ministers be required to marry gay couples? If say a wedding cake company advertised itself as a "Christian wedding and catering company" Would it required to serve ceremonies that were contrary to the beliefs of its owners?
Minsters have a dual role. One is religious, and one is functioning as a notary for the state. Ordained ministers have taken oaths; unordained ministers do not. Plus, getting a gay Christian wedding is not all that difficult these days. Episcopal, Presbyterian, Metropolitan - plenty of choices.

Catering are simply businessmen, and Jesus Christ was certainly in favor of feeding people. Business owners must treat everyone equally, and claiming religious exemption is just an illegal temper tantrum.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Yukon Cornelius wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

to serve t

Minsters have a dual role. One is religious, and one is functioning as a notary for the state. Ordained ministers have taken oaths; unordained ministers do not. Plus, getting a gay Christian wedding is not all that difficult these days. Episcopal, Presbyterian, Metropolitan - plenty of choices.

Catering are simply businessmen, and Jesus Christ was certainly in favor of feeding people. Business owners must treat everyone equally, and claiming religious exemption is just an illegal temper tantrum.
I'm still trying to figure out the connection between baking and selling someone a cake and promoting the "gay lifestyle".

With no success to report to-date.

Meanwhile, across the western pond . . .

Shibuya district assembly in Tokyo became the first in Japan on Tuesday to recognize same-sex partnerships
The vote by Tokyo's Shibuya ward may seem insignificant compared to the United States, where gay marriage is legal in all but 13 states, but just proposing the statute set off an unprecedented discussion over equality, and is likely to pave the way for similar measures elsewhere in Japan.
A big smack across the face to PM Abe, who lives in Shibuya, and to the aged ruling LDP which is dead set against such arrangements [mistakenly believing that such measures worth further aggravate the precipitous decline in the birthrate].
YMix

Post by YMix »

Doc wrote:The issue here is where do you draw the line?

Call me when the wedding cake company gets serious about the fight against sinful behavior by screening its customers for possible gluttony offenses.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Yukon Cornelius

That's obliquely kind of a good point YMix -- the florist in WA probably served hundreds of people who were divorced and remarried -- contrary to the direct words of Christ. The horse got out of the barn a **long** time ago.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

YMix wrote:
Doc wrote:The issue here is where do you draw the line?

Call me when the wedding cake company gets serious about the fight against sinful behavior by screening its customers for possible gluttony offenses.
Very good.
Yukon Cornelius

Typhoon wrote: I'm still trying to figure out the connection between baking and selling someone a cake and promoting the "gay lifestyle".

With no success to report to-date.

Meanwhile, across the western pond . . .

The goal is to somehow legally act out -- be counterculture -- without acting out. ??? It's an incoherent position.

The real goal -- like has been mentioned above -- is probably trying to head off a direct attack on the Church: tax-exempt status -- or worse -- hate speech litigation. It's only a question of which one comes first.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Yukon Cornelius wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

to serve t

Ministers can choose who to marry and who not to marry based on their own judgment. That is the way it has always been.

Including having the materials needed to decorate a gay wedding cake?
Last edited by Doc on Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Yukon Cornelius wrote:That's obliquely kind of a good point YMix -- the florist in WA probably served hundreds of people who were divorced and remarried -- contrary to the direct words of Christ. The horse got out of the barn a **long** time ago.
Good to have you back, YC. Your post brings up the question of what exactly was Jesus talking about when he discussed marriage. Marriage has almost universally been a financial contract involving female chattel and adjusted for value by brideprice and dowry. The Hebrew ketuba marriage contract was no different.

The idea of marriage as a romantic bond formed by choice, fate and love is a recent notion. Arranged marriages still abound, and marriage continues to be a means of social climbing.

One of the best novels written during the limnal period from which romantic marriage emerged is Dicken's snarky "Our Mutual Friend" which lampoons the role of marriage in English society.

One thing is guaranteed, though. Gay Divorce Court is going to the best thing to ever hit reality TV.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Doc wrote:
Including having the materials needed to decorate a gay wedding cake?
Collecting enough semen to make the icing will probably not be an issue.

Teresa of Ávila
Yukon Cornelius

Gay Divorce Court FTW! :lol: :twisted:
Doc

Post by Doc »

Yukon Cornelius wrote:Gay Divorce Court FTW! :lol: :twisted:
With Judge Judy. :shock:
Doc

Post by Doc »

So if their pizza shop is burned down is Apple liable?

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... er-threats
Indiana pizzeria closes after threats

By Mark Hensch

A family-owned pizzeria in Indiana closed on Wednesday following backlash over its support of a controversial religious freedom law.

TMZ reported that Memories Pizza is suspending its business operations amid uproar over the state’s new Religious Freedom Restoration Act.

Owner Kevin O’Connor said vitriol toward his restaurant was so intense it was closed until further notice. The eatery began receiving threatening phone calls and social media postings after revealing its support for the law earlier this week.
O’Connor and his family initially inspired public rage by declaring that they would not cater gay weddings on Tuesday. That announcement made Memories Pizza Indiana’s first business to refuse potential customers service for religious reasons under the new law.

It also drew venom from furious critics online. They have since flooded the store’s Yelp page with negative reviews protesting the O’Connor family’s position. Memories had an average rating of 1.5 out of 5 stars based on 1,850 reviews as of Wednesday evening.

Gov. Mike Pence (R-Ind.) signed the law into existence last Thursday. The resulting negativity has since set the potential 2016 GOP presidential hopeful backpedaling, and on Tuesday he urged state lawmakers to fix its problems immediately.

Connecticut, New York and Washington, D.C., have all banned government-funded travel to Indiana since the law’s creation last week. They join a myriad of tech companies boycotting the Hoosier State in protest of the legislation.

Apple, Salesforce and Yelp are some of the companies vocal in their opposition to the law. Apple CEO Tim Cook compared it to the segregation era’s Jim Crow laws in a Washington Post op-ed published Monday.

“We must never return to any semblance of that time,” wrote Cook, head of the world’s largest company and an openly gay businessman.

Critics of the Religious Freedom Restoration Act believe it permits business discrimination of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender individuals through religious rationales. The law’s supporters, in contrast, argue it allows businesses to make faith-based decisions without government interference.