Steers, Queers, and Chicks with Sticks | LGBTetcetera

This too shall pass.
Nonc Hilaire

Re: Steers and Queers | The Homosexuality Issue

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Pope Francis is not saying anything new or changing anything about Roman Catholicism. He is simply moving the public discussion back to pre-Christian roots so he can reach more people and refresh the Church on spiritual fundamentals.

I see him as a revivalist working to rebuild faith from the ground up and not as a reformer making sweeping changes in theology or praxis. A good and necessary plan for a pope, imho. If he was to extend his homilies to the max I'm sure he would end up preaching orthodox Roman Catholic dogma.

This is very much the way Jesus was described preaching in Matthew. He spoke to get the crowds to question their spirituality but not to tell them what to think. He would withdraw after public appearances and let the apostles explain and discuss with the crowds in smaller groups. Francis is working much the same way.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

yep, thats what i was trying to get at, expressed more clearly.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Well said Nonc,

Use current events to get the masses to think about timeless concepts....... Mark of an effective teacher!
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:I hear this whole thing started with just two gay Irishmen.

Michael Fitzpatrick and Patrick Fitzmichael.
:lol:
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Pope Francis is not saying anything new or changing anything about Roman Catholicism. He is simply moving the public discussion back to pre-Christian roots so he can reach more people and refresh the Church on spiritual fundamentals.

I see him as a revivalist working to rebuild faith from the ground up and not as a reformer making sweeping changes in theology or praxis. A good and necessary plan for a pope, imho. If he was to extend his homilies to the max I'm sure he would end up preaching orthodox Roman Catholic dogma.

This is very much the way Jesus was described preaching in Matthew. He spoke to get the crowds to question their spirituality but not to tell them what to think. He would withdraw after public appearances and let the apostles explain and discuss with the crowds in smaller groups. Francis is working much the same way.
Eloquently said.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

BBC | US Supreme Court rules gay marriage is legal nationwide
It means the 14 states with bans on same-sex marriage will no longer be able to enforce them.

Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote that the plaintiffs asked "for equal dignity in the eyes of the law. The Constitution grants them that right."
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Good and necessary, but I am still astounded that we have gay marriage and not an ERA.

That's perverse.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

I was repeatedly informed that demographics guaranteed that a conservative cultural tsunami was going to sweep over the USA.

What happened?
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote:I was repeatedly informed that demographics guaranteed that a conservative cultural tsunami was going to sweep over the USA.

What happened?
The US has no authentic culture.

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Good and necessary, but I am still astounded that we have gay marriage and not an ERA.

That's perverse.
Wikipedia.

The Equal Rights Amendment (ERA) was a proposed amendment to the United States Constitution designed to guarantee equal rights for women. The ERA was originally written by Alice Paul and Crystal Eastman. In 1923, it was introduced in the Congress for the first time. From the first, the ERA was highly controversial in terms of the meaning of equality for women. It was "feminist against feminist," says historian Judith Sealander; the result was the eventual defeat of the ERA.[1] Middle-class women generally were supportive. Spokesmen for the working class were strongly opposed, arguing that employed women needed special protections regarding working conditions and hours. In 1972, it passed both houses of Congress and was submitted to the state legislatures for ratification. It seemed headed for quick approval until Phyllis Schlafly mobilized conservative women in opposition, arguing that the ERA would disadvantage housewives.

Congress had set a ratification deadline of March 22, 1979. Through 1977, the amendment received 35 of the necessary 38 state ratifications. Five states later rescinded their ratifications before the 1979 deadline. In 1978, a joint resolution of Congress extended the ratification deadline to June 30, 1982, but no further states ratified the amendment and it died. Several feminist organizations continue to work for the adoption of the ERA.
Interesting that adoption of ERA has historically been blocked by women.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Typhoon wrote:I was repeatedly informed that demographics guaranteed that a conservative cultural tsunami was going to sweep over the USA.

What happened?
What does type of culture does the US have then?
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:

What happened?
Lots of competing subcultures, plus a media-driven nationalism that sometimes passes for culture. Many U.S. cities have a culture, but I don't see a U.S. culture.

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:

What happened?
Lots of competing subcultures, plus a media-driven nationalism that sometimes passes for culture. Many U.S. cities have a culture, but I don't see a U.S. culture.
Well said. This agrees with my own observations. Often a move of ten or fifteen miles can place one in a different culture. Paraphrasing Tip O'Neal "All politics (along with culture and weather) is local!"

Either the central planners are blind to this, or they see it as an impediment to their power that must be over come.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:

What happened?
Understood.

[ I thought that New Orleans certainly had/has a distinct culture, and I'm not referring to the now tourist district of French Quarter.
Likewise Chicago. ]

Now that I think about it, labeling social conservatives or so-called progressives as cultures would be misnomers as both are nothing more than self-appointed would-be altruists intent on minding other people's lives.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

WSJ | [US] Public's Shift on Same-Sex Marriage Was Swift, Broad

A friend informs that after the SCOTUS announcement, people were apparently tweeting "That's it, I'm moving to Canada".

To which the Canadians tweeted back, "No, thank you. Sorry." and "Fyi, gay marriage has been legal across Canada for over a decade."

Well, if the US survived the SCOTUS decision permitting miscegenation between the general, mainly white, heterosexual population and the 13.2% black minority*, the US will also probably survive permitting some 1.3% of the population to marry each other.

*given the genetic makeup of the US black population, a more accurate characterization would be that SCOTUS simply made it official.

If the US does not survive this, then future historians will conclude that it was not much of a nation to begin with.
It had it's moments of great brilliance, but was derailed by obsessing about pissant issues.
Yukon Cornelius

Post by Yukon Cornelius »

Typhoon wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:

What happened?
I think it's degenerated to tribalism of a sort -- history is dead, so I don't seem another option.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:

What happened?
Understood.

[ I thought that New Orleans certainly had/has a distinct culture, and I'm not referring to the now tourist district of French Quarter.
Likewise Chicago. ]

Now that I think about it, labeling social conservatives or so-called progressives as cultures would be misnomers as both are nothing more than self-appointed would-be altruists intent on minding other people's lives.
Louisiana has lots of authentic cultures, but I would not generalize them as
"American". Very geographically specific.

Teresa of Ávila
Mr. Perfect

Transgender

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I don't know which forum to put this in, so if mods want to move it I'm amenable.

I'm sort of squeamish, so I'll beat around the bush but you should get the drift. I'm doing this in a liberal forum because I want to know what poster here think.

Transgender (internet)

A sex change apparently is not what make you tranny

Transgender is the state of one's gender identity or gender expression not matching one's assigned sex.[1] Transgender is independent of sexual orientation; transgender people may identify as heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, asexual, etc; some may consider conventional sexual orientation labels inadequate or inapplicable to them. The definition of transgender includes:

Just if you feel different than what is happening between the legs.

So my questions:

1) is what is the word for sex change.
2) What "rights" do trannies not have
3) I accidentally came across information on sex changes. Basically, it's all make believe. A man cannot become woman, physically, and vice versa. So why do I have to pretend men can turn into women and vice versa when they cannot.
Censorship isn't necessary
YMix

Re: Transgender

Post by YMix »

Try Reddit or Tumblr.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

For what.
YMix

Post by YMix »

For the answers you seek, obviously.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Couldn't find 'em. Since we have some sophisticated transphiliacs around here, thought you would love the opportunity to spread your knowledge.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Couldn't find 'em.
http://www.reddit.com/
https://www.tumblr.com/
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Couldn't find the answers, there or anywhere. Here is your chance to spread truth. I have no idea why you are stalling.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Try harder.