World War III

This too shall pass.
Ibrahim

Re: World War III

Post by Ibrahim »

Demon of Undoing wrote:
Ibrahim wrote:The fun part with Rapture people is finding out who will play the "God's wrath" role next. Huns, no wait Goths, no wait Mongols, no wait Turks, no wait Germans, no wait Russians no wait Chinese.... Its like finding out who will play Batman in the next movie.

As long as it's not freaking Ben Affleck.

" Jokah, you wicked pissah, this time justice is commin' for ya, ya bastid".

Boston Batman gets drunk and beats up random Jewish/Protestant/black kids after the Bruins win a game.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Ben "Duckman" Aflac Meets Yogi Bear a Baseball Player....

Post by monster_gardener »

Demon of Undoing wrote:
Ibrahim wrote:The fun part with Rapture people is finding out who will play the "God's wrath" role next. Huns, no wait Goths, no wait Mongols, no wait Turks, no wait Germans, no wait Russians no wait Chinese.... Its like finding out who will play Batman in the next movie.

As long as it's not freaking Ben Affleck.

" Jokah, you wicked pissah, this time justice is commin' for ya, ya bastid".
Thank You Very MUCH for your post, Bezerk Savant DOU.

Ben Affleck ;-) oops I mean Ben Aflac is Duckman not Batman ;) :lol:

Origin of Ben "Duckman" Aflac ;) :twisted:
MlT-CsJ7HC8

Ben "Duckman" "Aflac meets Yogi Bear a ;) Ursine Baseball Player in a Barber Shop....

RG0zS_Rgg68
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Enki

Post by Enki »

I am so glad Realpolitik won over insane Neocon ideology in the Iran deal.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Enki

Post by Enki »

noddy wrote:the only war i think china is really capable of and which would be destructive to the rest of us is an economic one, because when it comes down to it their nationalist xenophobes are perfectly correct and they are surrounded by countries which would not align with them and they are alone.

when i tick off the nations that either have the technology or the population or resources to be relevant in a world war i really cant think of any that are likely to ally with them against the entire west and much of asia.

i also dont see the barbarian spunk required to pull off being ww2 germany and at this stage their political system is looking unlikely to throw up the hitler, even if their is a good collection of wannabees lurking around the edges.

of course if they do play hard on spiteful economic games that may well force the west to become more aggresive which then triggers a different calculus on all this and perhaps gives them more allies.. but im not convinced by the orientalism nonsense and dont really see china as being that outward or clever on those levels.

they are just as likely to chuck a hissy fit and go all internal again.
Since Africa has been pretty welcoming to Chinese resource development, I don't see what the usual reasons one might go to war are.

China is just exerting its influence over what it considers to be its "Middle Kingdom", and that results in disputes over airspace and their sovereignty over the seas adjacent to their borders. And of course Taiwan.

The idea that China is just going to start rolling across Asia doesn't compute for me. I don't see any evidence that it is true.

The usual SpengFor Neocons are singing the same refrain of war being imminent that they always have.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Enki wrote:
noddy wrote:the only war i think china is really capable of and which would be destructive to the rest of us is an economic one, because when it comes down to it their nationalist xenophobes are perfectly correct and they are surrounded by countries which would not align with them and they are alone.

when i tick off the nations that either have the technology or the population or resources to be relevant in a world war i really cant think of any that are likely to ally with them against the entire west and much of asia.

i also dont see the barbarian spunk required to pull off being ww2 germany and at this stage their political system is looking unlikely to throw up the hitler, even if their is a good collection of wannabees lurking around the edges.

of course if they do play hard on spiteful economic games that may well force the west to become more aggresive which then triggers a different calculus on all this and perhaps gives them more allies.. but im not convinced by the orientalism nonsense and dont really see china as being that outward or clever on those levels.

they are just as likely to chuck a hissy fit and go all internal again.
Since Africa has been pretty welcoming to Chinese resource development, I don't see what the usual reasons one might go to war are.

China is just exerting its influence over what it considers to be its "Middle Kingdom", and that results in disputes over airspace and their sovereignty over the seas adjacent to their borders. And of course Taiwan.

The idea that China is just going to start rolling across Asia doesn't compute for me. I don't see any evidence that it is true.

The usual SpengFor Neocons are singing the same refrain of war being imminent that they always have.
Certain ideologies require monolithic enemy threats to function. After the Soviets people have been casting around for a new "barbarian" threatening the empire, and the final candidates seem to be "China" or "Muslims." Except neither works if you look closely at it for a second, so they jam both in there depending on what specific type of alleged threat is handiest at the time.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Oh wait, we are kind of off-topic for this forum.

What I meant is Obama is ghey!
-Alexander Hamilton
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

He is certainly very unpopular and makes a lot of bad decisions bad for America and it's people. But you seem to like that.
Censorship isn't necessary
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

jYUP7zJ0CwU
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

~ Albert Einstein
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:jYUP7zJ0CwU
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

~ Albert Einstein
Very interesting video. Thanks CS I always preferred Oppenheimer's quote about nuclear weapons
In some sort of crude sense, which no vulgarity, no humor, no overstatement can quite extinguish, the physicists have known sin; and this is a knowledge which they cannot lose.
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/autho ... eimer.html
The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears it is true.
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... 22672.html
I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... 01189.html
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Tinker says it was all propaganda.

It's interesting to see the radiation hit before the gas pressure wave.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Tinker says it was all propaganda.
I think that Enki/Tinker can speak for himself.

The every larger H-bombs were a foolish and reckless p*ssing contest between the Cold War rivals radiocontaminating the atmosphere.

Perversely, it was later realized the smaller multiple warheads [MIRV] were more deadly due to multiple blast radii.
Mr. Perfect wrote:It's interesting to see the radiation hit before the gas pressure wave.
The radiation blast front travels at the speed of light, so on the distance scale of ~ 50km, it's instantaneous in terms of human perception.

The shock wave blast front travels at the speed of sound, so on the same distance scale there will be a time lag.

Watched the move Wolverine recently flying from Japan to N Am.

The nuclear explosion scene [supposedly Nagasaki] was for the above two reasons completely implausible:

1/ the characters were not immediately critically burned by the radiation [heat] blast; and

2/ they were able to outrun the shock wave front.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:It's interesting to see the radiation hit before the gas pressure wave.
The radiation blast front travels at the speed of light, so on the distance scale of ~ 50km, it's instantaneous in terms of human perception.

The shock wave blast front travels at the speed of sound, so on the same distance scale there will be a time lag.

The nuclear explosion scene [supposedly Nagasaki] was for the above two reasons completely implausible:

1/ the characters were not immediately critically burned by the radiation blast; and

How to retain your house's value after a thermo-nuclear war

lrYjVv9SyMQ
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Some of these physics are interesting

As an EE, semi professional audio engineer and rifleman, we have some phenomenon that laymen struggle to understand.

When you shoot a bullet there is quite a lot going on, but let's limit it to this; when you hear the bang of the gunshot you are hearing two very different things, the gas expansion caused by the deflagrated gunpowder and the breaking of the sound barrier by a super sonic bullet. The uninitiated cannot differentiate the two when close to the muzzle.

However in long range shooting (several hundred to a thousand yards) you actually often times will send an observer down near the target if you are at an appropriate facility. It's called working the pits and the observer tends tothe target and radios feedback to the shooter. It's a very safe and common practice. There are no known examples of anybody getting gun rage from it and killing people. Also, very few accidents.

O03g9WheYpc

Interestingly and you can kind of hear it if you listen for it on this video, is there are two sonic signatures associated with a single shot, the sound of the sound barrier being broken, which is very high pitch, and the expansion of gas at the muzzle. When downrange you will hear the high pitch sonic boom "instantly" and then the muzzle blast sometimes a few seconds later. New shooters really get a head trip with this. It's hard to understand for a while. If you listen to the video you can hear that the high pitch crack and the low pitch boom are separated by time and are not simultaneous from the perspective of the microphone.

What is interesting from an audio perspective is that when you get an ear for it with some lighter calibers you can start hearing the sonic boom and the muzzle boom at the same time. You can hear the high pitch and the low pitch simultaneous. I remember just hearing it one day, a high pitch crack and a low pitch boom at the same time. Two different acoustic signatures. You can only do it with some of the lighter calibers, and the physics there require too much typing. :) Something about the relationship between the case capacity and the mass of the bullet matching that case capacity (heavier bullets are more audible). I will add that the echo/reverb of the high crack is much easier to hear, and once you hear it you can't not hear it.

Either way, I don't recall when but one of those first houses from the video obviously starts burning for a second before the pressure wave hits it and one day I just realized it, then you can't watch the video without noticing it. Two different events.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

I have to wear ear protection around firearms. I wonder how that would affect my ability to distinguish the sounds. I'm amazed at people who can do without. For as long as I can remember, loud pops have been downright painful to hear. I can barely tolerate firework shows. I took a hearing test a couple of years ago and was told that I have above average hearing, which would explain my sensitivity.

I expect, though, that a few more years in New York will wipe out whatever exists of my hearing "premium". The squeaky cab brakes alone are already taking a toll.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Good point Zack. I would recommend if it is possible to stand some 100 yards or more away (behind or to the side of course) from the firing line, some distance you might be able to tolerate, then you can still hear a lot. My opinion is the sonic bullet cracking is very easy to hear reverberating once you know what to listen for. Then try to see how quickly you can hear. You can't always though. I can "tolerate" gunshots with no protection but it is not pleasant and basically I never do. If I'm in the woods ie not around other guys shooting, I do on occasion just shoot a few rounds just so that you can remain accustomed to the incredible volume, you wouldn't want it to effect you in the event you had to defend yourself.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I should add that high frequencies are more reflective and so the high pitch reverb you hear after a gunshot is easier to distinguish. You'll hear a high pitch sound easier than the low pitch sound, lower frequencies absorb easier and are less reflective. It also depends on the acoustics of where you are shooting, my rifle range is a very long elliptical bowl with banks on both sides and at the rear and high pitch crack is easy to distnguish.
noddy

Post by noddy »

ive got no highs left at all after years of abuse in guitar bands and working in the mining industry.

added bonus, i can barely hear high pitched whiney voices.
ultracrepidarian
Enki

Post by Enki »

-Alexander Hamilton
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

1/ the characters were not immediately critically burned by the radiation blast; and

lrYjVv9SyMQ
Where's the shock wave front?

Of course, don't forget to "Duck and Cover"

IKqXu-5jw60
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

lrYjVv9SyMQ
Where's the shock wave front?
My point in posting other than some humor over protecting your home value is that the radiation front hit at the same time as the light.
Of course, don't forget to "Duck and Cover"

IKqXu-5jw60
I vaguely remember that from when I was a kid. I think it was on TV.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Hope you all have studied your fallout maps. Sorry New Yorkers, you'll all be dead in moments. It's interesting that the people most defensive of America's enemies will be the first killed by them.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1 ... 3250973928
Putin Invades, Obama Dismantles
The U.S. rushes to obey a nuclear arms treaty while Russia cheats.

Russia has seized Crimea and has 50,000 troops as a potential invasion force on the border with eastern Ukraine. The Kremlin is also abrogating the 1994 Budapest Memorandum, in which Kiev agreed to give up its nuclear arsenal—at the time the third largest in the world—in exchange for guarantees of its territorial integrity from Russia, the U.S. and U.K. That memorandum has now proved to be as much of a scrap of paper to the Kremlin as Belgium's neutrality was to Berlin in the summer of 1914.

The Kremlin is also violating the 1987 Intermediate-range Nuclear Forces Treaty, which bans the testing, production and possession of nuclear missiles with a range between 310 and 3,400 miles. Russia has tested at least three missiles—the R-500 cruise missile, the RS-26 ballistic missile and the Iskander-M semi-ballistic missile—that run afoul of the proscribed range limits.

The Obama Administration has suspected for years that Vladimir Putin was violating the INF Treaty, which supporters hail as the triumph of arms control. The Russians were boasting of their new missile capabilities in open-source literature as far back as 2007. Yet as defense analysts Keith Payne and Mark Schneider noted in these pages in February, "since 2009, the current administration's unclassified arms-control compliance reports to Congress have been mum on the Russian INF Treaty noncompliance."

At a minimum, Congress should call on Rose Gottemoeller, confirmed last month as under secretary of state for arms control over strenuous objections from Florida Senator Marco Rubio, to explain what the Administration knew, and what it disclosed, about Moscow's INF violations when she negotiated New Start. [The US has always refused to publicize or acknowledge Russian treaty violations].

Ms. Gottemoeller has been publicly noncommittal on this point, perhaps because she knew New Start would never have won a two-thirds Senate majority if Russia's INF cheating had been widely known. The episode reminds us of why people like former Arizona Senator Jon Kyl were right to oppose the ratification of New Start.

Mr. Obama has dismissed Russia as a regional power, but he is maneuvering the U.S. closer to a position of absolute nuclear inferiority to Russia. The imbalance becomes even worse when one counts tactical nuclear weapons, where Russia has a four-to-one numerical advantage over the U.S.

To the surprise of defense analysts, the Pentagon will make the sharpest cuts in the submarine and bomber legs of the nuclear triad, while mostly preserving the silo-based Minuteman ICBMs. This means that the U.S. will maintain a stationary, and vulnerable, nuclear force on the ground while largely dismantling what remains of our second-strike capability at sea and in the air. A crucial part of deterrence is convincing an adversary that you can survive a first strike. It does not help U.S. security to dismantle the most survivable part of the U.S. arsenal.
Way to go Democrats.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Is obama delusional, a traitor or both.....

Post by monster_gardener »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Hope you all have studied your fallout maps. Sorry New Yorkers, you'll all be dead in moments. It's interesting that the people most defensive of America's enemies will be the first killed by them.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1 ... 3250973928
Putin Invades, Obama Dismantles
The U.S. rushes to obey a nuclear arms treaty while Russia cheats.

Russia has seized Crimea and has 50,000 troops as a potential invasion force on the border with eastern Ukraine. The Kremlin is also abrogating the 1994 Budapest Memorandum, in which Kiev agreed to give up its nuclear arsenal—at the time the third largest in the world—in exchange for guarantees of its territorial integrity from Russia, the U.S. and U.K. That memorandum has now proved to be as much of a scrap of paper to the Kremlin as Belgium's neutrality was to Berlin in the summer of 1914.

The Kremlin is also violating the 1987 Intermediate-range Nuclear Forces Treaty, which bans the testing, production and possession of nuclear missiles with a range between 310 and 3,400 miles. Russia has tested at least three missiles—the R-500 cruise missile, the RS-26 ballistic missile and the Iskander-M semi-ballistic missile—that run afoul of the proscribed range limits.

The Obama Administration has suspected for years that Vladimir Putin was violating the INF Treaty, which supporters hail as the triumph of arms control. The Russians were boasting of their new missile capabilities in open-source literature as far back as 2007. Yet as defense analysts Keith Payne and Mark Schneider noted in these pages in February, "since 2009, the current administration's unclassified arms-control compliance reports to Congress have been mum on the Russian INF Treaty noncompliance."

At a minimum, Congress should call on Rose Gottemoeller, confirmed last month as under secretary of state for arms control over strenuous objections from Florida Senator Marco Rubio, to explain what the Administration knew, and what it disclosed, about Moscow's INF violations when she negotiated New Start. [The US has always refused to publicize or acknowledge Russian treaty violations].

Ms. Gottemoeller has been publicly noncommittal on this point, perhaps because she knew New Start would never have won a two-thirds Senate majority if Russia's INF cheating had been widely known. The episode reminds us of why people like former Arizona Senator Jon Kyl were right to oppose the ratification of New Start.

Mr. Obama has dismissed Russia as a regional power, but he is maneuvering the U.S. closer to a position of absolute nuclear inferiority to Russia. The imbalance becomes even worse when one counts tactical nuclear weapons, where Russia has a four-to-one numerical advantage over the U.S.

To the surprise of defense analysts, the Pentagon will make the sharpest cuts in the submarine and bomber legs of the nuclear triad, while mostly preserving the silo-based Minuteman ICBMs. This means that the U.S. will maintain a stationary, and vulnerable, nuclear force on the ground while largely dismantling what remains of our second-strike capability at sea and in the air. A crucial part of deterrence is convincing an adversary that you can survive a first strike. It does not help U.S. security to dismantle the most survivable part of the U.S. arsenal.
Way to go Democrats.
Thank You VERY MUCH for your post, Mr. Perfect.
Mr. Obama has dismissed Russia as a regional power
Is he delusional.......... :roll:

He claims to think that a nation that straddles most of Eurasia, has more nukes than US, has the premier Manned Space Program on Earth while we have to hitch rides with the Bears, and is lead by The Talented Mr. Putin, President Prince Vlad the Imprisoner of Russia, Crimea and maybe much more soon, a Man who is cunning and diligent unlike the GOLFTUS, is a "regional power" :roll:

but he is maneuvering the U.S. closer to a position of absolute nuclear inferiority to Russia. The imbalance becomes even worse when one counts tactical nuclear weapons, where Russia has a four-to-one numerical advantage over the U.S.

Or is Arrogant, Incompetent, Lazy, LYING Son of a Bitch Eater obama literally a traitor to America.... :evil:
Last edited by monster_gardener on Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Ibrahim wrote:Boston Batman gets drunk and beats up random Jewish/Protestant/black kids after the Bruins win a game.
Man I sure don't miss this horse$#!t.
Doc

Post by Doc »

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Latest-New ... US-warship
Russian Fencer jet makes 'provocative' pass near US warship

A Russian fighter jet made multiple, close-range passes near an American warship in the Black Sea Saturday, amid escalating tensions in the region, US military officials said. The passes, which occurred in the early evening there, ended without incident.

By LOLITA C. BALDOR, Associated Press / April 14, 2014

The USS Donald Cook is docked in the Black Sea port of Constanta, Romania, Monday, April 14, 2014. A US military official says a Russian fighter jet made multiple, close-range passes near an American warship in the Black Sea for more than 90 minutes Saturday amid escalating tensions in the region.

Washington

A Russian fighter jet made multiple, close-range passes near an American warship in the Black Sea for more than 90 minutes Saturday amid escalating tensions in the region, U.S. military officials said Monday.

In the first public account of the incident, the officials said the Russian Fencer made 12 passes, and flew within 1,000 yards (900 meters) of the USS Donald Cook, a Navy destroyer, at about 500 feet (150 meters) above sea level.

The U.S. warship issued several radio queries and warnings using international emergency circuits, but the Russian aircraft did not respond.

RECOMMENDED: US military muscle

"This provocative and unprofessional Russian action is inconsistent with international protocols and previous agreements on the professional interaction between our militaries," said Army Col. Steve Warren, a Pentagon spokesman.

The fighter appeared to be unarmed and never was in danger of coming in contact with the ship, said the officials. The passes, which occurred in the early evening there, ended without incident. A second Russian fighter jet flew at a higher altitude and was not a concern, said Warren.

A U.S. military official also said that a Russian Navy ship, a frigate, has been shadowing the U.S. warship, remaining within visual distance but not close enough to be unsafe. The official was not authorized to discuss the incident publicly so spoke on condition of anonymity.

Warren said that he is not aware of any official communication or protests by the U.S. to the Russians about incident.

The USS Donald Cook has been conducting routine operations in international waters east of Romania. The ship, which carries helicopters, was deployed to the Black Sea on April 10, in the wake of the Russian military takeover of Ukraine's Crimea region and ongoing unrest there. U.S. military officials have said the deployment is part of an effort to reassure allies and partners in the region.

Ukraine's acting President Oleksandr Turchynov on Monday called for the deployment of United Nations peacekeeping troops in the east of the country, where pro-Russian insurgents have occupied buildings in nearly 10 cities. The gunmen are demanding more autonomy from the central government and closer ties with Russia.

The West has accused Moscow of fomenting the unrest. And European Union foreign ministers are meeting in Luxembourg Monday to consider additional sanctions against Russian officials because of Moscow's annexation of Crimea.

The USS Donald Cook is now in port at Constanta, Romania.

Romanian President Traian Basescu visited the ship Monday and said a second U.S. Navy warship — a frigate from the Navy's Sixth Fleet in the Mediterranean Sea — is also heading to the Black Sea.

"My visit to the ship is symbolic, which first of all shows our respect to our NATO allies' reaction who have strengthened their presence in the Black Sea after Russia's annexation of Crimea," said Basescu, who is a former ship captain. He said the Russians "had created a circle of fire around the Black Sea."

The U.S. frigate, which has not yet been identified, is expected to arrive in the Black Sea in the next two weeks. According to a U.S. military official, the frigate is likely to replace the USS Donald Cook, which is expected to return to the Mediterranean Sea.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

We are one obama blunder from radiated atmosphere. I think if you haven't learned how to deal with nuclear war it is too late for you. Can you imagine living in say NYC? Darwin award material.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/19/world ... ml?hp&_r=0
The United States plans to carry out small ground-force exercises in Poland and Estonia in an attempt to reassure NATO’s Eastern European members worried about Russia’s military operations in and near Ukraine, Western officials said Friday.

The moves are part of a broader effort by NATO to strengthen the alliance’s air, sea and land presence in Eastern Europe in response to Russia’s new assertiveness in the region.

It is not yet clear what additional troop deployments the United States and other NATO nations might undertake in Eastern Europe after the exercises and to what extent the moves would ease anxieties there.
Why is it that all the Europeans and other leftists that used to shake their fist are now strangely silent about US intervention and presence on foreign sovereign soil. Imperialism. Remember when they used to spew about that all the time.

Why is that I wonder. I would hate to think Europeans and leftists are morally and intellectually bankrupt.

Personally, I don't think one European is worth one American GI.