The Knockout Game

This too shall pass.
Huxley

Re: The Knockout Game

Post by Huxley »

Ibrahim wrote:This story has it all: right wing media hysterics, racism, Mark Steyn. I overheard the local talk radio station warning people about this just last week. My reflexive "'sprobably bullsh_t" reaction turned out to be right.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/christandp ... ist-roots/

Short answer: no. But read on for the details.
Article is a joke.

The Rev. Al Sharpton knows better:

"Al Sharpton condemns ‘knockout’ attacks"
By Georgett Roberts and Michael Gartland | New York Post | November 23, 2013
[i]New York Post[/i] wrote:Rev. Al Sharpton condemned “knockout” attacks Saturday but stopped short of calling for marches against the brutal hate crimes.

“This kind of behavior is deplorable and must be condemned by all us,” he said at his weekly National Action Network meeting in Harlem. “We would not be silent if it was the other way around. We cannot be silent or in any way reluctant to confront it when it is coming from our own community.”

On Monday, Sharpton and other leaders plan to discuss a “next move.”

“Kids are randomly knocking out people [from] another race — some specifically going at Jewish people,” he said. “This kind of insane thuggery — there is nothing cute about that. There is no game play about knocking somebody out, and it is not a game. It is an assault and is bias, and it is wrong.”
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Huxley wrote:
Ibrahim wrote:This story has it all: right wing media hysterics, racism, Mark Steyn. I overheard the local talk radio station warning people about this just last week. My reflexive "'sprobably bullsh_t" reaction turned out to be right.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/christandp ... ist-roots/

Short answer: no. But read on for the details.
Article is a joke.
Yes, the Steyn and Flaherty articles are a joke. But so are their books.

The Rev. Al Sharpton knows better
Ah, so you consider Al Sharpton a reliable source. I trust you'll be quoting him often in the future, and taking his views into serious consideration.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:"Partly about race" is a good description. Individual attitudes are important.

Image of Black woman in the U.S. protecting a white supremacist from crowd violence. More violent white folks in this crowd photo than blacks.

What's this from?
Doc

Post by Doc »

Ibrahim wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:"Partly about race" is a good description. Individual attitudes are important.

Image of Black woman in the U.S. protecting a white supremacist from crowd violence. More violent white folks in this crowd photo than blacks.

What's this from?
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.1501050
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Enki

Post by Enki »

just remember if you ever hear someone shout, "WORLDSTAR", run.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Doc

Post by Doc »

Enki wrote:just remember if you ever hear someone shout, "WORLDSTAR", run.
What next? First "Obamacare" and now "Worldstar" :shock: Say it isn't so tinker !! :P
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Enki

Post by Enki »

Doc wrote:
What next? First "Obamacare" and now "Worldstar" :shock: Say it isn't so tinker !! :P
Not sure what one has to do with the other.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Enki wrote:
Doc wrote:
Yeah, the Worldstar website works. 8-)
Doc

Post by Doc »

Ibrahim wrote:
Enki wrote:
Doc wrote:
:lol:
Enki

Post by Enki »

Doc wrote:
Ibrahim wrote:
Enki wrote:
Doc wrote:
Seconded :lol:

I am frustrated right now because the New York State exchange isn't sending me the session token I need to accomplish getting it setup.
-Alexander Hamilton
Doc

Post by Doc »

Enki wrote:
Doc wrote:
Ibrahim wrote:
Enki wrote:
Doc wrote:
Seconded :lol:

I am frustrated right now because the New York State exchange isn't sending me the session token I need to accomplish getting it setup.
Yesterday (or the day before) the head of the Maryland state exchange was pushed out of her job.
Doc

Post by Doc »

DOJ enters 'knockout game' fray with hate crime charge -- why now?
Published December 27, 2013

The Justice Department's decision to charge a white man with a federal hate crime for a "knockout game"-style attack against a black victim has raised questions about why the administration waited until now to speak up on cases that, for months, largely have involved white victims.

Federal prosecutors presented a detailed set of evidence Thursday in charging Katy, Texas, man Conrad Alvin Barrett, 27, with a hate crime. He allegedly shot video of himself using racial slurs, stating his intent to hit a black person in order to receive national media attention and, in the end, punching a 79-year-old black man.

The attack was serious. The victim lost three teeth and needed surgery to repair his jaw, which had been broken in two places. He was hospitalized for more than four days, authorities said.

But some questioned why the federal government just now was getting involved and whether a double standard was at play, considering that in many prior cases, the race of the suspect and victim was reversed.

A number of those cases probably would not qualify as a hate crime -- prosecutors would need to have evidence that the victim was targeted because of race or religion. But several apparent victims of a rash of attacks in New York were Jewish. Police originally said an alleged assailant in one attack against an Orthodox Jew was charged with a hate crime in November, but that turned out not to be the case.

Defense attorney Bernie Grimm told Fox News that the latest charges appear to be the Justice Department "saber-rattling" because "they want the country to think that they are on the front edge of this knockout phenomena."

Former assistant U.S. attorney Fred Tecce said it appears the suspect here is a "terrible guy." But he, too, questioned the role of federal prosecutors.

"We have had a ton of these knockout cases," he said. "Part of your role as prosecutors and part of the role of the Justice Department is to send a message to the public that ... the law applies to everyone."

He added: "Why is this the first knockout case that the DOJ has decided to render an indictment on?"

In some cases, the Justice Department might have no jurisdiction at all. There is no generic federal assault charge, though charges could apply if the victim is a government official or law enforcement officer. Without the hate-crime element, assaults typically are charged in a state court.

Legal experts said the feds got involved here for two reasons: First, to ensure a stiffer sentence in the event of conviction, and second, to reassure the public that law enforcement has a handle on the sickening spate of crimes.

According to prosecutors, the video of the attack shows Barrett approach the victim and ask, "How's it going, man?" A "loud smack" is then heard, the victim falls to the ground, Barrett laughs and says, "Knockout." The assailant then flees in his vehicle.

Investigators retrieved other videos from Barrett's phone, including some in which he uses racial epithets and talks about trying to work up the courage to play the knockout game, the complaint states. In one, Barrett says: "That plan is to see if I were to hit a black person, would this be nationally televised?"

U.S. Attorney Kenneth Magidson said Thursday that such crimes won't be tolerated.

"Evidence of hate crimes will be vigorously investigated and prosecuted with the assistance of all our partners to the fullest extent of the law," Magidson said.

Defense attorney Ted Williams defended the Justice Department's involvement here.

"[Barrett] also during the course used the 'n' word. There may be those that would say the requisite intent for the national hate crime is not there but I do believe that this would be an excellent test case," he said.

A conviction under the federal hate crimes statute would mean a maximum 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/12 ... e-why-now/