Predictions for 2014

This too shall pass.
Alexis

Predictions for 2014

Post by Alexis »

Here are 2014 predictions from Dmitry Orlov (*)

It's funny, and makes one go hmmm....
The equation that best describes the stock market at the moment is y=mt+b, a.k.a. the first order linear equation. Meaning, some market index or other (y) must be roughly equal to some fudge factor m (called the slope) times time t plus some base offset b (called the intercept). The way I imagine that works is, a bunch of gnomes that inhabit the entrails of big finance and have access to an endless supply of newly printed dollars lean on the "buy" button periodically to make sure that the index increases monotonically. (Actually, the gnomes might be robots, in which case we could all go extinct and the stock market would still continue to go up.) So, my prediction is that this will continue happening until something breaks. Nobody knows when it will break, or why, because printing money and using it to prop up the price of stocks is a brilliant business plan that can continue working forever. Yes, I know that some people are pointing out that nothing goes up forever. Look at the housing bubble circa 2008, they say, or the internet stock bubble circa 2000. Bubbles always pop, they say. Naysayers! Well, what I want to say to these naysayers is this: This Time It's Different. This is a new and amazing breakthrough: infinite wealth creation is now achievable through infinite money printing. It's like the Singularity! (Remember, you heard it here first.)

As far as the price of gold, the picture is also quite clear: it will stay roughly the same, because similar gnomes have the job of hammering it down whenever it shows signs of exceeding a certain threshold. Doing so is not necessarily a money-making proposition for them, but then who needs to make money when you can just print it? Again, this is a sound business plan with bright prospects as far as the eye can see. There is just one little snag: in places where actual savings do exist, people are switching out of dollars and into physical gold, meaning that at some point the cupboard will be bare, no matter what the price, resulting in something called market failure. Since physical gold cannot be willed into existence, and is currently selling for less than it costs to mine it and refine it, this is potentially a problem. Still, my prediction is that the price of gold will remain fixed, until the fix is off, but nobody knows when that will be, not even I.

Now, the price of oil is even simpler to forecast: it will be between $100 and $150 a barrel, roughly. It may briefly dive to as low as $20 a barrel, but that won't last. The past few years have allowed us to empirically determine that $100/bbl is the price that's necessary to keep the oil flowing in the quantities required to keep the economy humming along, now that all the supergiant fields are in depletion and all the new fields are super-expensive and involve deep-sea drilling or fracking or other expensive and/or risky ventures. Now, you might think that keeping the oil flowing in the quantities required to keep the economy humming along may turn out to be problematic at some point. Never fear! All that has to happen in case of a shortfall is that a bunch more workers suddenly get laid off. Yes, this will briefly affect the unemployment rate, but only until their unemployment benefits expire. After that it will only affect the labor participation rate, which has been trending toward zero, but nobody ever looks at it, so it doesn't matter. When people get laid off, suddenly they are not driving to work or consuming beyond what their paltry SNAP and WIC benefits allows them to consume. This causes oil consumption to drop and the economy is in balance again. At the other extreme, $150/bbl is sufficient to put the brakes on the economy for an entirely separate set of reasons: when expenditure on oil rises above some magic percentage of GDP (empirically determined) expenditure on everything that isn't oil drops enough to curtail economic activity, in turn curtailing oil consumption. So, you see, the system is self-regulating, and can continue this way forever. Until it can't. But nobody knows when that will be, not even I.

The whole thing sort of reminds me of the electricity supply situation on my boat. The picture above is of the electric plug and socket through which up to 30A of juice at 110V flows to my boat from the electric grid on shore. Every month the meter is read, and my credit card is charged for the correct amount. This, I think, can go on forever. In the interests of full disclosure, I do need to tell you that there was a funny plastic burning smell late last night, and some strange buzzing and then snap-crackle-pop sort of thing going on, but it didn't last long. And after that everything was fine again. I did end up having to spend oh maybe ten minutes stripping and splicing electrical cables, but that's OK, I don't mind. So, don't you worry, the system is resilient and self-regulating and can go on and on. Until it can't. But nobody knows when that will be. Not even I.

Happy New Year!

(*) Author of the first comparison (2006) between the Soviet collapse and the future US collapse. Here is the original presentation for whom would not yet have read it
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Thanks for the Post. Re: Predictions for 2014

Post by monster_gardener »

Alexis wrote:Here are 2014 predictions from Dmitry Orlov (*)

It's funny, and makes one go hmmm....
The equation that best describes the stock market at the moment is y=mt+b, a.k.a. the first order linear equation. Meaning, some market index or other (y) must be roughly equal to some fudge factor m (called the slope) times time t plus some base offset b (called the intercept). The way I imagine that works is, a bunch of gnomes that inhabit the entrails of big finance and have access to an endless supply of newly printed dollars lean on the "buy" button periodically to make sure that the index increases monotonically. (Actually, the gnomes might be robots, in which case we could all go extinct and the stock market would still continue to go up.) So, my prediction is that this will continue happening until something breaks. Nobody knows when it will break, or why, because printing money and using it to prop up the price of stocks is a brilliant business plan that can continue working forever. Yes, I know that some people are pointing out that nothing goes up forever. Look at the housing bubble circa 2008, they say, or the internet stock bubble circa 2000. Bubbles always pop, they say. Naysayers! Well, what I want to say to these naysayers is this: This Time It's Different. This is a new and amazing breakthrough: infinite wealth creation is now achievable through infinite money printing. It's like the Singularity! (Remember, you heard it here first.)

As far as the price of gold, the picture is also quite clear: it will stay roughly the same, because similar gnomes have the job of hammering it down whenever it shows signs of exceeding a certain threshold. Doing so is not necessarily a money-making proposition for them, but then who needs to make money when you can just print it? Again, this is a sound business plan with bright prospects as far as the eye can see. There is just one little snag: in places where actual savings do exist, people are switching out of dollars and into physical gold, meaning that at some point the cupboard will be bare, no matter what the price, resulting in something called market failure. Since physical gold cannot be willed into existence, and is currently selling for less than it costs to mine it and refine it, this is potentially a problem. Still, my prediction is that the price of gold will remain fixed, until the fix is off, but nobody knows when that will be, not even I.

Now, the price of oil is even simpler to forecast: it will be between $100 and $150 a barrel, roughly. It may briefly dive to as low as $20 a barrel, but that won't last. The past few years have allowed us to empirically determine that $100/bbl is the price that's necessary to keep the oil flowing in the quantities required to keep the economy humming along, now that all the supergiant fields are in depletion and all the new fields are super-expensive and involve deep-sea drilling or fracking or other expensive and/or risky ventures. Now, you might think that keeping the oil flowing in the quantities required to keep the economy humming along may turn out to be problematic at some point. Never fear! All that has to happen in case of a shortfall is that a bunch more workers suddenly get laid off. Yes, this will briefly affect the unemployment rate, but only until their unemployment benefits expire. After that it will only affect the labor participation rate, which has been trending toward zero, but nobody ever looks at it, so it doesn't matter. When people get laid off, suddenly they are not driving to work or consuming beyond what their paltry SNAP and WIC benefits allows them to consume. This causes oil consumption to drop and the economy is in balance again. At the other extreme, $150/bbl is sufficient to put the brakes on the economy for an entirely separate set of reasons: when expenditure on oil rises above some magic percentage of GDP (empirically determined) expenditure on everything that isn't oil drops enough to curtail economic activity, in turn curtailing oil consumption. So, you see, the system is self-regulating, and can continue this way forever. Until it can't. But nobody knows when that will be, not even I.

The whole thing sort of reminds me of the electricity supply situation on my boat. The picture above is of the electric plug and socket through which up to 30A of juice at 110V flows to my boat from the electric grid on shore. Every month the meter is read, and my credit card is charged for the correct amount. This, I think, can go on forever. In the interests of full disclosure, I do need to tell you that there was a funny plastic burning smell late last night, and some strange buzzing and then snap-crackle-pop sort of thing going on, but it didn't last long. And after that everything was fine again. I did end up having to spend oh maybe ten minutes stripping and splicing electrical cables, but that's OK, I don't mind. So, don't you worry, the system is resilient and self-regulating and can go on and on. Until it can't. But nobody knows when that will be. Not even I.

Happy New Year!

(*) Author of the first comparison (2006) between the Soviet collapse and the future US collapse. Here is the original presentation for whom would not yet have read it
Thank You VERY MUCH for your post, Alexis.

Greatly appreciated.

Your Friend,
MG
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Typhoon

Re: Predictions for 2014

Post by Typhoon »

2014:

Civilization will not collapse.

We will not run out of fossil hydrocarbon fuel. The US will continue to grow as a fossil fuel exporter.

The Muddled East will continue to be so.

Having used up all possible "Harry Potter" insults, China and Japan will switch to exchanging "Monty Python" insults.

The pause in the rise in global temperature will continue into it's 18th year.
Climate activists, er, scientists will claim that the "missing heat", the excess over observations as [mis]predicted by climate models, is being hidden in fracked oil fields
a part of a conspiracy by "Big Oil".

Jesus will again be a no show.

I will probably still be here to make some 2015 predictions.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

Typhoon wrote:I will probably still be here to make some 2015 predictions.
That's the most important item in your list, Colonel! ;)
noddy

Post by noddy »

more thrashing around with pseudo religious beliefs in the powers of education to create middle class jobs even if that means changing the rules to create that outcome instead of it actually working in itself, which it doesnt. (evidence: highly educated people in third world countries)

more thrashing around with pseudo religious beliefs in the real estate stimulus and house prices making everyone richer because it has the multi enticement of being the main investment for the baby boomers, the last mass employer of labourers left in the west plus it stimulates retail, win win baby, what could go wrong.

more propping up TBTF institutions.

more grinding downwards and chaos as a result.

more paranoid governments with less support from the masses being used to support the above agenda which is purely about maintaining the status quo riches of the current generation of upper middles.

more surveillance and police powers to deal with the extra levels of anger.

more baby, more.

more money for me, (yay) as i finally make the right connections to get into the networks to upper middle and hopefully forget how ugly life was before that.
ultracrepidarian
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Republicans lose more Senate seats. They will also lose ground in the House but not a majority. Chris Christy will be impeached as governor but will still be more popular than anyone else in his party or any prominent Democrat.
Been busy doing stuff
monster_gardener

Prognosticator for 2055..........

Typhoon wrote:2014:

Civilization will not collapse.

We will not run out of fossil hydrocarbon fuel. The US will continue to grow as a fossil fuel exporter.

The Muddled East will continue to be so.

Having used up all possible "Harry Potter" insults, China and Japan will switch to exchanging "Monty Python" insults.

The pause in the rise in global temperature will continue into it's 18th year.
Climate activists, er, scientists will claim that the "missing heat", the excess over observations as [mis]predicted by climate models, is being hidden in fracked oil fields
a part of a conspiracy by "Big Oil".

Jesus will again be a no show.

Thank You VERY MUCH for your post, Typhoon.
G_d grant that is also true for 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028, 2029, 2030, 2031, 2032, 2033, 2034, 2035, 2036, 2037, 2038, 2039, 2040, 2041, 2042, 2043, 2044, 2045, 2046, 2047, 2048, 2049, 2050, 2051, 2052, 2052, 2054, 2055,............

Unless Jesus does show up before then.......... ;)
Heracleum Persicum

Re: Prognosticator for 2055..........

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

monster_gardener wrote:.
Typhoon wrote:.

G_d grant that is also true for 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028, 2029, 2030, 2031, 2032, 2033, 2034, 2035, 2036, 2037, 2038, 2039, 2040, 2041, 2042, 2043, 2044, 2045, 2046, 2047, 2048, 2049, 2050, 2051, 2052, 2052, 2054, 2055,............

Hopefully "Mahdi" shows up B4 Yussef the carpenter :lol:

monster_gardener

The Anti-Christ Arrives Before Jesus with Space Rocks & More

Heracleum Persicum wrote:
monster_gardener wrote:.
Typhoon wrote:.

Hopefully "Mahdi" shows up B4 Yussef the carpenter :lol:

Thank You Very MUCH for your reply, Azari.

Per the Scriptures, the Anti-Christ shows up before Jesus does...... :o :twisted: :shock:

Maybe as much as 7 years earlier.......

Thing are supposed to get really Beastly :twisted: ........

With Space Rocks and more hitting Earth.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wormwood_% ... 9#Futurist
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

noddy wrote:more paranoid governments
I look forward to government run for the paranoid by the paranoid [and really really run by the Uyghurs]