Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

This too shall pass.

Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby Typhoon » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:55 pm

Internet Trolls Really Are Horrible People

Narcissistic, Machiavellian, psychopathic, and sadistic.
All the world's a stage.
User avatar
Typhoon
 
Posts: 13483
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:42 pm

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby Mr. Perfect » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:47 am

I guess we're no longer celebrating diversity.

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

Point one finger at someone else, three point back at you.

Some people can dish it out but they just can't take it.

Everyone is a troll except me.

Etc.
Censorship isn't necessary
User avatar
Mr. Perfect
 
Posts: 12578
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:35 am

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby YMix » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:47 am

Last year, for instance, we learned that by hurling insults and inciting discord in online comment sections, so-called Internet trolls (who are frequently anonymous) have a polarizing effect on audiences, leading to politicization, rather than deeper understanding of scientific topics.


Yes, I've noticed the same thing.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
User avatar
YMix
 
Posts: 4285
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:53 am
Location: Department of Congruity - Report any outliers here

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby Heracleum Persicum » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:03 am

.


miss Ibrahim


.
User avatar
Heracleum Persicum
 
Posts: 8054
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:38 pm

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby Simple Minded » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:54 pm

Hey, If we ever get to the point where knowledge is the required standard for forming opinions, the sound of ecrickets on the internet will be deafening....

songbirds sing the songs they know..... not necessarily the ones they sing well......
"There's only two types of people in the world. Those who divide all people into two groups, and those who don't."
Simple Minded
 
Posts: 5886
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:24 pm

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby Typhoon » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:46 pm

Mr. Perfect wrote:I guess we're no longer celebrating diversity.


I find "celebrating diversity" to be an empty slogan whether or not I agree with the sentiment being expressed.

My standard test to change the word order, "diversifying celebrations".

Anyways, trolling has nothing to do with diversity, but with being an online jerk.

Mr. Perfect wrote:One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.


This may come as a bit of a surprise for you: freedom fighters don't spend their time trolling little know internet forums.

Rather they spend their time and energy fighting for freedom out in the real world. Go figure.

Mr. Perfect wrote:Point one finger at someone else, three point back at you.

Everyone is a troll except me.


You appear to think that this topic is directed at you. Why is that?

Mr. Perfect wrote:Some people can dish it out but they just can't take it.


I think that we're well aware of what an internet tough guy you are, that Chuck Norris curls up in a fetal position after reading one of your posts.

However, if you're under the impression that the purpose of this forum is to "dish it out", you're quite mistaken.
All the world's a stage.
User avatar
Typhoon
 
Posts: 13483
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:42 pm

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby Typhoon » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:27 pm

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.


miss Ibrahim


.


It appears that his New Year resolution was to stop posting here.

[No communication, just a guess.]
All the world's a stage.
User avatar
Typhoon
 
Posts: 13483
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:42 pm

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby Heracleum Persicum » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:39 pm

Typhoon wrote:
Heracleum Persicum wrote:.


miss Ibrahim


.


It appears that his New Year resolution was to stop posting here.

[No communication, just a guess.]

.



Can't blame him after Doc, Monster and others ganged on him throwing "unjustified" mud at him .. am puzzled, always thought "Azari the Persian" the bad guy here :lol:


.
User avatar
Heracleum Persicum
 
Posts: 8054
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:38 pm

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby kmich » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:12 pm

I know when I have behaved trollishly I always ended up hating myself and feeling very small later, so I try not to do that anymore. Too bad about Ibrahim.
User avatar
kmich
 
Posts: 667
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:46 am

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby Mr. Perfect » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:20 am

Typhoon wrote:I find "celebrating diversity" to be an empty slogan whether or not I agree with the sentiment being expressed.

That's liberalism for you. Full of empty slogans.

My standard test to change the word order, "diversifying celebrations".

Anyways, trolling has nothing to do with diversity, but with being an online jerk.

Well trolling and diversity are closely linked. If one were to celebrate diversity one would have to celebrate trolls as trolls are a part of diversity.

This may come as a bit of a surprise for you: freedom fighters don't spend their time trolling little know internet forums.

Rather they spend their time and energy fighting for freedom out in the real world. Go figure.

Freedom fighters show up where speech happens, which includes the internet.

You appear to think that this topic is directed at you. Why is that?

I think that we're well aware of what an internet tough guy you are, that Chuck Norris curls up in a fetal position after reading one of your posts.

However, if you're under the impression that the purpose of this forum is to "dish it out", you're quite mistaken.

No, of course the slate.com (leftiwng bilge website) article was aimed at the internet in general, not this website, and my responses were directed at the slate.com article, not anyone on this website.

It is a common tactic to label anyone who disagrees with you as a troll, bringing in the subjectivity of the issue. For years now, I have seen the definition morph to suit whoever is making the charge, and it's morphed again in this article. Hence, one man's troll is another man's freedom fighter. Everyone is a troll but me (turn of another phrase). But I think this was probably clear to most people going in.
Censorship isn't necessary
User avatar
Mr. Perfect
 
Posts: 12578
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:35 am

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby Enki » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:40 am

Maybe Ibrahim got bored with this forum because it's an echo chamber and everyone already knows what everyone else is going to say?

That's how I feel.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
User avatar
Enki
 
Posts: 4939
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:04 pm

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby Heracleum Persicum » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:10 am

Enki wrote:.

Maybe Ibrahim got bored with this forum because it's an echo chamber and everyone already knows what everyone else is going to say?

That's how I feel.

.



You want to say you can guess my views and position ? ? .. hardly

Even I myself not always sure which way I tilt


Mr. Perfect wrote:.

He could dish it out but he just couldn't take it.

.



Ibrahim must "line up" himself .. either towards west or towards east

He in the wrong "body", thinking he U, but he no U

Azari straight forward


.
User avatar
Heracleum Persicum
 
Posts: 8054
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:38 pm

Who Esteems..... Who Despises........

Postby monster_gardener » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:38 am

Heracleum Persicum wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Heracleum Persicum wrote:.


miss Ibrahim


.


It appears that his New Year resolution was to stop posting here.

[No communication, just a guess.]

.



Can't blame him after Doc, Monster and others ganged on him throwing "unjustified" mud at him .. am puzzled, always thought "Azari the Persian" the bad guy here :lol:


.


Thank you Very Much for your post, Azari.

"Azari the Persian" the bad guy here


Not so, Azari.

At least not on my part......

And I am not alone......

As he has told me more than once, Marcus highly esteems your 'unique viewpoint'*....

And I much prefer conversing with you even though we very often disagree**....

I have expressed this sentiment before.....

While remember who despised you enough to have you on Foe/Ignore...

*Note that he is also absent....

**Though occasionally we do agree, as on Assad & Syria....

While even agreement would not appease the despite of the other.... :roll:
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
User avatar
monster_gardener
 
Posts: 5334
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:36 am
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

More.....

Postby monster_gardener » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:01 am

Heracleum Persicum wrote:
Enki wrote:.

Maybe Ibrahim got bored with this forum because it's an echo chamber and everyone already knows what everyone else is going to say?

That's how I feel.

.



You want to say you can guess my views and position ? ? .. hardly

Even I myself not always sure which way I tilt


Mr. Perfect wrote:.

He could dish it out but he just couldn't take it.

.



Ibrahim must "line up" himself .. either towards west or towards east

He in the wrong "body", thinking he U, but he no U

Azari straight forward


.


Thank You Very Much for Your Post, Azari.

IMHO, that is NOT the problem...

Again noting that Marcus, Monster and Many More like Azari the Easterner More......

The reason has been already Perfectly ;) disclosed....
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
User avatar
monster_gardener
 
Posts: 5334
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:36 am
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby Mr. Perfect » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:13 am

Heracleum Persicum wrote:Even I myself not always sure which way I tilt

:)

Ibrahim must "line up" himself .. either towards west or towards east

He in the wrong "body", thinking he U, but he no U

Azari straight forward .

Maybe so. I have found his leftwing Islam rather difficult to reconcile.
Censorship isn't necessary
User avatar
Mr. Perfect
 
Posts: 12578
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:35 am

Re: More.....

Postby Heracleum Persicum » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:18 am

.

Mr. Perfect wrote:.

I have found his leftwing Islam rather difficult to reconcile.

.



Islam and Judaism (in reality same religion) an "ultra right, fascist" doctrine

Any leftish spin to them just smoke screen (hiding other agenda) and lacks any spirit of Islam or Judaism


monster_gardener wrote:
Heracleum Persicum wrote:
Enki wrote:.

Maybe Ibrahim got bored with this forum because it's an echo chamber and everyone already knows what everyone else is going to say?

That's how I feel.

.



You want to say you can guess my views and position ? ? .. hardly

Even I myself not always sure which way I tilt


Mr. Perfect wrote:.

He could dish it out but he just couldn't take it.

.



Ibrahim must "line up" himself .. either towards west or towards east

He in the wrong "body", thinking he U, but he no U

Azari straight forward


.


Thank You Very Much for Your Post, Azari.

IMHO, that is NOT the problem...

Again noting that Marcus, Monster and Many More like Azari the Easterner More......

The reason has been already Perfectly ;) disclosed...

.



I think this a pity, a real pity

look, Monster

today for a few hrs, I was reading the Abbasid Caliphate in Wiki and hopping from link to link .. very interesting

Looks to me many posters here interested in Islamism, Islam and reform of it

As the "Golden Age" of Islam was in Abbasid Caliphate .. all the science that began at that time (House of Wisdom) .. it would be quite interesting (if posters are really into finding out facts and reality), to debate things starting year, say 1200, and what happened things went downhill later and to present time .. have argued all this happened because of OTTOMANS

Ibrahim would be ideal person to enlighten and represent Ottomans in this issue


.
User avatar
Heracleum Persicum
 
Posts: 8054
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:38 pm

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby Endovelico » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:54 am

Ibrahim is an intelligent fellow who may have realized that he had ended up defending the indefensible and making irrational arguments. Rather than publicly recognizing this he preferred to withdraw. I'm sorry he did so because his views were important to our diversity.
User avatar
Endovelico
 
Posts: 3049
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby Simple Minded » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:23 pm

Enki wrote:Maybe Ibrahim got bored with this forum because it's an echo chamber and everyone already knows what everyone else is going to say?

That's how I feel.


amen bro!

that's how virtual people is! All of em! :D

So little can be conveyed, unless one is willing to take an enormous amount of time communicating and trying to understand.

I think it is the characteristic of the medium, not the peeps!
"There's only two types of people in the world. Those who divide all people into two groups, and those who don't."
Simple Minded
 
Posts: 5886
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:24 pm

Booze... Just One Reason Judaism is Better than Islam....

Postby monster_gardener » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:34 pm

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

Mr. Perfect wrote:.

I have found his leftwing Islam rather difficult to reconcile.

.



Islam and Judaism (in reality same religion) an "ultra right, fascist" doctrine

Any leftish spin to them just smoke screen (hiding other agenda) and lacks any spirit of Islam or Judaism


monster_gardener wrote:
Heracleum Persicum wrote:
Enki wrote:.

Maybe Ibrahim got bored with this forum because it's an echo chamber and everyone already knows what everyone else is going to say?

That's how I feel.

.



You want to say you can guess my views and position ? ? .. hardly

Even I myself not always sure which way I tilt


Mr. Perfect wrote:.

He could dish it out but he just couldn't take it.

.



Ibrahim must "line up" himself .. either towards west or towards east

He in the wrong "body", thinking he U, but he no U

Azari straight forward


.


Thank You Very Much for Your Post, Azari.

IMHO, that is NOT the problem...

Again noting that Marcus, Monster and Many More like Azari the Easterner More......

The reason has been already Perfectly ;) disclosed...

.



I think this a pity, a real pity

look, Monster

today for a few hrs, I was reading the Abbasid Caliphate in Wiki and hopping from link to link .. very interesting

Looks to me many posters here interested in Islamism, Islam and reform of it

As the "Golden Age" of Islam was in Abbasid Caliphate .. all the science that began at that time (House of Wisdom) .. it would be quite interesting (if posters are really into finding out facts and reality), to debate things starting year, say 1200, and what happened things went downhill later and to present time .. have argued all this happened because of OTTOMANS

Ibrahim would be ideal person to enlighten and represent Ottomans in this issue


.


Thank You Very Much for your post, Azari

Islam and Judaism (in reality same religion) an "ultra right, fascist" doctrine


IMHO not so much....

One of the most significant differences is BOOZE ;) .......

Judaism lets you anesthetize yourself with alcohol from the fanatics.....

There are other differences but Booze is a VERY good start.... :lol:
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
User avatar
monster_gardener
 
Posts: 5334
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:36 am
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby Alexis » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:23 pm

Heracleum Persicum wrote:You want to say you can guess my views and position ? ? .. hardly

Even I myself not always sure which way I tilt



That's a good one :D
Reminds me of an old joke, within Catholic subculture.

Question: What are the three things that Only God Knows?

Answers:
1. What is the number of different female religious orders?
2. When a Dominican steps in front to speak at church, what is he going to say?
3. When a Jesuit steps back after having spoken at church, what on Earth did he meant to say?

Jesuits are renowned for being the "intellectuals" of the Church.

Dominicans are assumed to insist on inspiration and spontaneity.

I guess that makes you closer to a Dominican ;) :)
User avatar
Alexis
 
Posts: 1218
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:47 pm

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby Typhoon » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:50 pm

Enki wrote:Maybe Ibrahim got bored with this forum because it's an echo chamber and everyone already knows what everyone else is going to say?

That's how I feel.


What about Facebook? Don't people experience the same fatigue of the familiar?
All the world's a stage.
User avatar
Typhoon
 
Posts: 13483
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:42 pm

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby kmich » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:01 pm

Typhoon wrote:
Enki wrote:Maybe Ibrahim got bored with this forum because it's an echo chamber and everyone already knows what everyone else is going to say?

That's how I feel.


What about Facebook? Don't people experience the same fatigue of the familiar?

Discussion forums tend to be dominated over time by people who have the most motivation to argue simple and consistent viewpoints and not necessarily those with the most interesting contributions. A sure and constant application of an ideological version of Maslow's hammer can dull and numb any discussion.

I still think though that social media, like any social venue, is as fresh or as dull as we want to make it regardless of the obstacles. I am just not as resigned and as cynical as I used to be. :D
User avatar
kmich
 
Posts: 667
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:46 am

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby Simple Minded » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:19 am

kmich wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Enki wrote:Maybe Ibrahim got bored with this forum because it's an echo chamber and everyone already knows what everyone else is going to say?

That's how I feel.


What about Facebook? Don't people experience the same fatigue of the familiar?

Discussion forums tend to be dominated over time by people who have the most motivation to argue simple and consistent viewpoints and not necessarily those with the most interesting contributions. A sure and constant application of an ideological version of Maslow's hammer can dull and numb any discussion.

I still think though that social media, like any social venue, is as fresh or as dull as we want to make it regardless of the obstacles. I am just not as resigned and as cynical as I used to be. :D


"Men are like scuffling puppies or quarrelsome children who are all smiles one moment and in tears the next."

Ibs summed it up well, for a lot of people it is about their team winning over the other team. :)
noddy also summed it up well, life is so complex, and our brains so limited, most of us stick to a few perspectives. :)
then there was the dude who said "a wise man can learn more from a fool than a fool from a wise man."

The good news is, like beauty and offense.... trolls, boredom, fatigue, interesting, dull, numb, fresh, dull, resigned, cynical, etc. are all perspectives chosen by the receiver, not the transmitter......

For some reason, most transmitters or transmitters don't seem to enjoy hearing that very much........

"Excitement, adventure.... hmmm... a jedi craves not these things.... hmmmm....."
Last edited by Simple Minded on Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There's only two types of people in the world. Those who divide all people into two groups, and those who don't."
Simple Minded
 
Posts: 5886
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:24 pm

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby Doc » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:55 pm

Enki wrote:Maybe Ibrahim got bored with this forum because it's an echo chamber and everyone already knows what everyone else is going to say?

That's how I feel.



Funny I knew that is what you would say. :P
The classes and the races to weak to master the new conditions of life must give way {..} They must perish in the revolutionary holocaust --Karl Marx
User avatar
Doc
 
Posts: 7497
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:10 pm

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby Simple Minded » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:08 pm

IMSMO, one of the most entertaining aspects of reading posts is:

original poster A: roses are red.

response from B: you're an extremist!

response from C: not all roses!

response from D: racist!

response from E: no way! Ford trucks are much better than Chevy trucks!

..........................
"There's only two types of people in the world. Those who divide all people into two groups, and those who don't."
Simple Minded
 
Posts: 5886
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:24 pm

Next

Return to Current Events

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests