Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

This too shall pass.
Endovelico

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Post by Endovelico »

Simple Minded wrote:IMSMO, one of the most entertaining aspects of reading posts is:

original poster A: roses are red.

response from B: you're an extremist!

response from C: not all roses!

response from D: racist!

response from E: no way! Ford trucks are much better than Chevy trucks!

Comment from F: God willing those roses will be accepted as red even if they are in fact yellow...
YMix

Post by YMix »

Simple Minded wrote:IMSMO, one of the most entertaining aspects of reading posts is:

original poster A: Roses are red.

response from B: You're a leftist! Capitalism and Jesus forever!

response from C: That's simplistic and self-serving.

response from D: You are all racists!

response from E: Persia has the best roses!

response from F: <posts picture of beautiful Asian woman named Rose Something>

Fixed. 8-)
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

YMix wrote:

original poster A: Roses are red.

response from B: You're a leftist! Capitalism and Jesus forever!

response from C: That's simplistic and self-serving.

response from D: You are all racists!

response from E: Persia has the best roses!

response from F: <posts picture of beautiful Asian woman named Rose Something>

Fixed. 8-)
:lol:

response from G: are roses and daffodils that same flower?

response from H: red states roses are red, blue state roses are blue

response from I: Merikan roses suck! Yurp roses are tulips!

;)
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Response from J:

aCqD6iFUXoY

XD.......'>........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

You Gotta Stop & Eat the Roses ;-) Also violets & marigolds.

Post by monster_gardener »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:Response from J:

aCqD6iFUXoY

XD.......'>........
Thank You VERY Much for your post, LzzrdGrrl,

Response from K...

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Marigolds* are yellow,
And edible too..

And what we really need is Man in the Moon Marigolds* ;) grown in greenhouses on/in the Moon by a sustainable Colony..

*Edible Calendula Marigolds...
Pot marigold florets are considered edible. They are often used to add color to salads, or added to dishes as a garnish and in lieu of saffron. The leaves are edible but are often not palatable. They have a history of use as a potherb and in salads.

Flowers were used in ancient Greek, Roman, Middle Eastern and Indian cultures as a medicinal herb as well as a dye for fabrics, foods and cosmetics.[3] Many of these uses persist today. They are also used to make oil that protects the skin.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendula_officinalis#Uses

Roses and Violets are edible too.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edible_flowers

Which May Be why the Far Side ;) Bull Guru said...

"You gotta stop and eat the roses"

http://flavorsofthesun.blogspot.com/201 ... roses.html
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

I hope whatever happened to Ibrahim, he is well and enjoying life.

On the issue of trolls- this place has had exactly one: farcus.

The rest of us probably have an annoying habit or two but having strong opinions and releasing steam on a message board (with little consequence) does not make a troll. Some of the "fights" I've seen elsewhere make us downright quotidian and civil.

EDIT: though I hope Ibrahim does indeed show up again- I've got a list of imprecations and a whole bunch of grandstanding that needs to be done. :D
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:.

I hope whatever happened to Ibrahim, he is well and enjoying life.

On the issue of trolls- this place has had exactly one: farcus.

The rest of us probably have an annoying habit or two but having strong opinions and releasing steam on a message board (with little consequence) does not make a troll. Some of the "fights" I've seen elsewhere make us downright quotidian and civil.

EDIT: though I hope Ibrahim does indeed show up again- I've got a list of imprecations and a whole bunch of grandstanding that needs to be done. :D

miss Ibrahim too

never understood why you guys bugging him .. he never identified himself, contrary to Azari, with East, a mistake as Erdagon now discovering

He would be ideal person now to comment of Ukraine, next door, coming back to mother Russia as it should
Enki

Post by Enki »

I talked to Ibrahim about that right before he left.

I think this has some insight.

X6WHBO_Qc-Q
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
noddy

Post by noddy »

we all need break of internutz argumentering from time to time.

i agree with nap that the only outright troll was the squiggly one, being pig headed isnt the same thing.
ultracrepidarian
Enki

Post by Enki »

noddy wrote:we all need break of internutz argumentering from time to time.

i agree with nap that the only outright troll was the squiggly one, being pig headed isnt the same thing.
Mr. Perfect and I have definitely gone full troll on one other from time to time.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Heracleum Persicum

Enki wrote:
Mr. Perfect and I have definitely gone full troll on one other from time to time.
anybody seen Mr. Perfect lately ? ?

would hate see MP goin Ibrahim way
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

I know from PM's that Marcus was deliberately trolling Ibrahim. Now both have quit.

When members just want to argue, this board is screwed. There are no idiots here. I know some folks on the internet are paid shills, and if I was offered one of those jobs I would probably take it but here in this itty bitty pond? Better to trade sources and take them to Reddit or another significant audience.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:I know from PM's that Marcus was deliberately trolling Ibrahim. Now both have quit.

When members just want to argue, this board is screwed. There are no idiots here. I know some folks on the internet are paid shills, and if I was offered one of those jobs I would probably take it but here in this itty bitty pond? Better to trade sources and take them to Reddit or another significant audience.
Trolls are tedious.

Given the infinite opportunities to bloviate elsewhere on the internet, the mods would like to keep this small oasis troll free.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:I know from PM's that Marcus was deliberately trolling Ibrahim. Now both have quit.

Trolls are tedious.

Given the infinite opportunities to bloviate on the internet, the mods would like to keep this small oasis troll free.
But then you would have to define troll. Which basically to me is someone that says as little as possible while throwing verbal hand grenades into a forums then stepping back and watching the carnage unfold.

All too often however someone trying to get people to think about things differently gets called a troll when in fact they are just the opposite..
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

Trolls are tedious.

Given the infinite opportunities to bloviate on the internet, the mods would like to keep this small oasis troll free.
But then you would have to define troll. Which basically to me is someone that says as little as possible while throwing verbal hand grenades into a forums then stepping back and watching the carnage unfold.

All too often however someone trying to get people to think about things differently gets called a troll when in fact they are just the opposite..
Rather than attempt to define something as nebulous as an internet troll, given the wide variety of types,

I'll paraphrase your former Supreme Court Associate Justice, Stewart Potter:

Internet trolling is hard to define, but I know it when I see it.

While the accusation of trolling is often used to stifle a particular point of view, I think this forum tolerates a wide range of often conflicting views.

Only two former posters have been banned in the history of this board:
one for being obnoxious crazy,
the other for obsessive-compulsive targeting a specific group with hate speech.

This mod would like nothing more than to have not have to moderate. So everyone, help keep him and his fellow mod gainfully underemployed: the Simple Forum Rules
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Three year old identical twins who live in the same house argue.

The interesting question, IMSMO, is why would any adult expect another adult, to agree with them more than say 5-20% of the time on even the most common of human experiences?

Even less so with adults who are from different locations and cultures, who practice different religions, who speak different languages.......

even less so today with modern IT technology and infinite data available to more people than ever...... cherry picking a perspective has never been easier!

A mystery of the mind?
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:I know from PM's that Marcus was deliberately trolling Ibrahim. . .
That's not quite accurate, Nonc, here's the actual PM to which you refer:

Marcus wrote:
Don't take my replies to Ib too seriously . . for the most part I'm simply curious about how far he will go to have the last word.

Trolling? Maybe, maybe not. I find xenophobic closed-mindedness a genuine curiosity. All of us are opinionated . . that's fine, but when someone is so opinionated as to rudely exclude all possibility of error, well . . I find that simply amazing. Ibs was a unique case . . that's all.
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Marcus wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:I know from PM's that Marcus was deliberately trolling Ibrahim. . .

Marcus wrote:
Don't take my replies to Ib too seriously . . for the most part I'm simply curious about how far he will go to have the last word.

Trolling? Maybe, maybe not. I find xenophobic closed-mindedness a genuine curiosity. All of us are opinionated . . that's fine, but when someone is so opinionated as to rudely exclude all possibility of error, well . . I find that simply amazing. Ibs was a unique case . . that's all.
Sometimes trolling is a worthwhile activity. Welcome back! ;)
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Heracleum Persicum

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Marcus wrote:

what is "Trolling" ? ? ?

I know trolling on Salmon fishing .. but don't know what is meant here

noddy

Post by noddy »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Marcus wrote:

what is "Trolling" ? ? ?

instead of fishing for salmon, you fish for anger.

throw the tasty morsel into the conversation and wait for someone to take the bait.
ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

noddy wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Marcus wrote:

what is "Trolling" ? ? ?

throw the tasty morsel into the conversation and wait for someone to take the bait.

Bringing up "controversial" subjects and points for debate should be welcomed .. that's one reason we here, to air and try to understand how these controversial subjects are viewed by opposing factions, with facts and evidence, should not be viewed as "trolling"

Ibrahim and MP have their strong views of things, so does Azari .. and .. bring interesting AND controversial subject to fora, that can be seen of many pages of posts in most thread I initiate

Ibrahim and Hans not posting is a great loss for OTNT

Last edited by Heracleum Persicum on Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noddy

Post by noddy »

no arugments from me, i dont really remember having a problem with anyone ever, its not like i have to live with anyone here :)

i was just defining trolling, the act of fishing for anger, one mans troller is another mans devils advocate heh.
ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

noddy wrote:no arugments from me, i dont really remember having a problem with anyone ever, its not like i have to live with anyone here :)

i was just defining trolling, the act of fishing for anger, one mans troller is another mans devils advocate heh.

noddy, you did an excellent explanation .. I love fishing, Salmon fishing, trolling (with down-rigger), and mooching .. though my favorite is trolling

monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Look Mr Peabody! No Hans Christian Oersted.....

Post by monster_gardener »

noddy wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Marcus wrote:

what is "Trolling" ? ? ?

Bringing up "controversial" subjects and points for debate should be welcomed .. that's one reason we here, to air and try to understand how these controversial subjects are viewed by opposing factions, with facts and evidence, should not be viewed as "trolling"

Ibrahim and MP have their strong views of things, so does Azari .. and .. bring interesting AND controversial subject to fora, that can be seen of many pages of posts in most thread I initiate

Thank You Very Much for your post, Azari.
Hans not posting is a loss. ;)

Yes, really......

Also don't like having to say...

Look, Ma!
No Hans! ;)

Hat Tip to that extraordinary dog Mr. Peabody & his boy Sherman in the Hans Christian Oersted episode :lol: .....

And of course Jay Ward of Bullwinkle fame.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mister_Peabody

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Christian_%C3%98rsted

Other than that Voldemort :twisted: policy......... :lol:
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

noddy wrote:no arugments from me, i dont really remember having a problem with anyone ever, its not like i have to live with anyone here :)

noddy, you did an excellent explanation .. I love fishing, Salmon fishing, trolling (with down-rigger), and mooching .. though my favorite is trolling

and...... then there's catfish noodling.....^^.......
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........