Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

This too shall pass.

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby Endovelico » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:14 pm

Simple Minded wrote:IMSMO, one of the most entertaining aspects of reading posts is:

original poster A: roses are red.

response from B: you're an extremist!

response from C: not all roses!

response from D: racist!

response from E: no way! Ford trucks are much better than Chevy trucks!

..........................


Comment from F: God willing those roses will be accepted as red even if they are in fact yellow...
User avatar
Endovelico
 
Posts: 3049
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby YMix » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:05 pm

Simple Minded wrote:IMSMO, one of the most entertaining aspects of reading posts is:

original poster A: Roses are red.

response from B: You're a leftist! Capitalism and Jesus forever!

response from C: That's simplistic and self-serving.

response from D: You are all racists!

response from E: Persia has the best roses!

response from F: <posts picture of beautiful Asian woman named Rose Something>

..........................


Fixed. 8-)
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
User avatar
YMix
 
Posts: 4288
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:53 am
Location: Department of Congruity - Report any outliers here

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby Simple Minded » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:51 am

YMix wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:IMSMO, one of the most entertaining aspects of reading posts is:

original poster A: Roses are red.

response from B: You're a leftist! Capitalism and Jesus forever!

response from C: That's simplistic and self-serving.

response from D: You are all racists!

response from E: Persia has the best roses!

response from F: <posts picture of beautiful Asian woman named Rose Something>

..........................


Fixed. 8-)


:lol:

response from G: are roses and daffodils that same flower?

response from H: red states roses are red, blue state roses are blue

response from I: Merikan roses suck! Yurp roses are tulips!

;)
"It takes a remote mountain village.... in either Iran or Apple-achia.... to raise a child.
Simple Minded
 
Posts: 5976
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:24 pm

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby Miss_Faucie_Fishtits » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:04 pm

Response from J:



XD.......'>........
User avatar
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits
 
Posts: 848
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:58 pm

You Gotta Stop & Eat the Roses ;-) Also violets & marigolds.

Postby monster_gardener » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:49 am

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:Response from J:



XD.......'>........


Thank You VERY Much for your post, LzzrdGrrl,

Response from K...

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Marigolds* are yellow,
And edible too..


And what we really need is Man in the Moon Marigolds* ;) grown in greenhouses on/in the Moon by a sustainable Colony..

*Edible Calendula Marigolds...

Pot marigold florets are considered edible. They are often used to add color to salads, or added to dishes as a garnish and in lieu of saffron. The leaves are edible but are often not palatable. They have a history of use as a potherb and in salads.

Flowers were used in ancient Greek, Roman, Middle Eastern and Indian cultures as a medicinal herb as well as a dye for fabrics, foods and cosmetics.[3] Many of these uses persist today. They are also used to make oil that protects the skin.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendula_officinalis#Uses

Roses and Violets are edible too.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edible_flowers

Which May Be why the Far Side ;) Bull Guru said...

"You gotta stop and eat the roses"

http://flavorsofthesun.blogspot.com/201 ... roses.html
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
User avatar
monster_gardener
 
Posts: 5334
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:36 am
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby NapLajoieonSteroids » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:59 pm

I hope whatever happened to Ibrahim, he is well and enjoying life.

On the issue of trolls- this place has had exactly one: farcus.

The rest of us probably have an annoying habit or two but having strong opinions and releasing steam on a message board (with little consequence) does not make a troll. Some of the "fights" I've seen elsewhere make us downright quotidian and civil.

EDIT: though I hope Ibrahim does indeed show up again- I've got a list of imprecations and a whole bunch of grandstanding that needs to be done. :D
User avatar
NapLajoieonSteroids
 
Posts: 2604
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby Heracleum Persicum » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:27 am

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:.

I hope whatever happened to Ibrahim, he is well and enjoying life.

On the issue of trolls- this place has had exactly one: farcus.

The rest of us probably have an annoying habit or two but having strong opinions and releasing steam on a message board (with little consequence) does not make a troll. Some of the "fights" I've seen elsewhere make us downright quotidian and civil.

EDIT: though I hope Ibrahim does indeed show up again- I've got a list of imprecations and a whole bunch of grandstanding that needs to be done. :D

.



miss Ibrahim too

never understood why you guys bugging him .. he never identified himself, contrary to Azari, with East, a mistake as Erdagon now discovering

He would be ideal person now to comment of Ukraine, next door, coming back to mother Russia as it should
User avatar
Heracleum Persicum
 
Posts: 8252
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:38 pm

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby Enki » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:35 am

I talked to Ibrahim about that right before he left.

I think this has some insight.

Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
User avatar
Enki
 
Posts: 4939
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:04 pm

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby noddy » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:03 pm

we all need break of internutz argumentering from time to time.

i agree with nap that the only outright troll was the squiggly one, being pig headed isnt the same thing.
noddy
 
Posts: 5167
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby Enki » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:07 pm

noddy wrote:we all need break of internutz argumentering from time to time.

i agree with nap that the only outright troll was the squiggly one, being pig headed isnt the same thing.


Mr. Perfect and I have definitely gone full troll on one other from time to time.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
User avatar
Enki
 
Posts: 4939
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:04 pm

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby Heracleum Persicum » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:37 pm

Enki wrote:
Mr. Perfect and I have definitely gone full troll on one other from time to time.



anybody seen Mr. Perfect lately ? ?

would hate see MP goin Ibrahim way
User avatar
Heracleum Persicum
 
Posts: 8252
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:38 pm

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby Nonc Hilaire » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:52 pm

I know from PM's that Marcus was deliberately trolling Ibrahim. Now both have quit.

When members just want to argue, this board is screwed. There are no idiots here. I know some folks on the internet are paid shills, and if I was offered one of those jobs I would probably take it but here in this itty bitty pond? Better to trade sources and take them to Reddit or another significant audience.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
User avatar
Nonc Hilaire
 
Posts: 3799
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:28 am

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby Typhoon » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:40 pm

Nonc Hilaire wrote:I know from PM's that Marcus was deliberately trolling Ibrahim. Now both have quit.

When members just want to argue, this board is screwed. There are no idiots here. I know some folks on the internet are paid shills, and if I was offered one of those jobs I would probably take it but here in this itty bitty pond? Better to trade sources and take them to Reddit or another significant audience.


Trolls are tedious.

Given the infinite opportunities to bloviate elsewhere on the internet, the mods would like to keep this small oasis troll free.
All the world's a stage.
User avatar
Typhoon
 
Posts: 13655
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:42 pm

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby Doc » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:17 am

Typhoon wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:I know from PM's that Marcus was deliberately trolling Ibrahim. Now both have quit.

When members just want to argue, this board is screwed. There are no idiots here. I know some folks on the internet are paid shills, and if I was offered one of those jobs I would probably take it but here in this itty bitty pond? Better to trade sources and take them to Reddit or another significant audience.


Trolls are tedious.

Given the infinite opportunities to bloviate on the internet, the mods would like to keep this small oasis troll free.


But then you would have to define troll. Which basically to me is someone that says as little as possible while throwing verbal hand grenades into a forums then stepping back and watching the carnage unfold.

All too often however someone trying to get people to think about things differently gets called a troll when in fact they are just the opposite..
The classes and the races to weak to master the new conditions of life must give way {..} They must perish in the revolutionary holocaust --Karl Marx
User avatar
Doc
 
Posts: 7591
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:10 pm

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby Typhoon » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:15 am

Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:I know from PM's that Marcus was deliberately trolling Ibrahim. Now both have quit.

When members just want to argue, this board is screwed. There are no idiots here. I know some folks on the internet are paid shills, and if I was offered one of those jobs I would probably take it but here in this itty bitty pond? Better to trade sources and take them to Reddit or another significant audience.


Trolls are tedious.

Given the infinite opportunities to bloviate on the internet, the mods would like to keep this small oasis troll free.


But then you would have to define troll. Which basically to me is someone that says as little as possible while throwing verbal hand grenades into a forums then stepping back and watching the carnage unfold.

All too often however someone trying to get people to think about things differently gets called a troll when in fact they are just the opposite..


Rather than attempt to define something as nebulous as an internet troll, given the wide variety of types,

I'll paraphrase your former Supreme Court Associate Justice, Stewart Potter:

Internet trolling is hard to define, but I know it when I see it.

While the accusation of trolling is often used to stifle a particular point of view, I think this forum tolerates a wide range of often conflicting views.

Only two former posters have been banned in the history of this board:
one for being obnoxious crazy,
the other for obsessive-compulsive targeting a specific group with hate speech.

This mod would like nothing more than to have not have to moderate. So everyone, help keep him and his fellow mod gainfully underemployed: the Simple Forum Rules
All the world's a stage.
User avatar
Typhoon
 
Posts: 13655
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:42 pm

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby Simple Minded » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:00 pm

Three year old identical twins who live in the same house argue.

The interesting question, IMSMO, is why would any adult expect another adult, to agree with them more than say 5-20% of the time on even the most common of human experiences?

Even less so with adults who are from different locations and cultures, who practice different religions, who speak different languages.......

even less so today with modern IT technology and infinite data available to more people than ever...... cherry picking a perspective has never been easier!

A mystery of the mind?
"It takes a remote mountain village.... in either Iran or Apple-achia.... to raise a child.
Simple Minded
 
Posts: 5976
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:24 pm

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby Marcus » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:49 pm

Nonc Hilaire wrote:I know from PM's that Marcus was deliberately trolling Ibrahim. . .


That's not quite accurate, Nonc, here's the actual PM to which you refer:

Marcus wrote:
Don't take my replies to Ib too seriously . . for the most part I'm simply curious about how far he will go to have the last word.


Trolling? Maybe, maybe not. I find xenophobic closed-mindedness a genuine curiosity. All of us are opinionated . . that's fine, but when someone is so opinionated as to rudely exclude all possibility of error, well . . I find that simply amazing. Ibs was a unique case . . that's all.
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
******************
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
User avatar
Marcus
 
Posts: 2409
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:23 pm
Location: Alaska

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby Nonc Hilaire » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:09 pm

Marcus wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:I know from PM's that Marcus was deliberately trolling Ibrahim. . .


That's not quite accurate, Nonc, here's the actual PM to which you refer:

Marcus wrote:
Don't take my replies to Ib too seriously . . for the most part I'm simply curious about how far he will go to have the last word.


Trolling? Maybe, maybe not. I find xenophobic closed-mindedness a genuine curiosity. All of us are opinionated . . that's fine, but when someone is so opinionated as to rudely exclude all possibility of error, well . . I find that simply amazing. Ibs was a unique case . . that's all.

Sometimes trolling is a worthwhile activity. Welcome back! ;)
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
User avatar
Nonc Hilaire
 
Posts: 3799
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:28 am

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby Heracleum Persicum » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:03 pm

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:I know from PM's that Marcus was deliberately trolling Ibrahim. . .


That's not quite accurate, Nonc, here's the actual PM to which you refer:

Marcus wrote:
Don't take my replies to Ib too seriously . . for the most part I'm simply curious about how far he will go to have the last word.


Trolling? Maybe, maybe not. I find xenophobic closed-mindedness a genuine curiosity. All of us are opinionated . . that's fine, but when someone is so opinionated as to rudely exclude all possibility of error, well . . I find that simply amazing. Ibs was a unique case . . that's all.

Sometimes trolling is a worthwhile activity. Welcome back! ;)



what is "Trolling" ? ? ?

I know trolling on Salmon fishing .. but don't know what is meant here

.

.
User avatar
Heracleum Persicum
 
Posts: 8252
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:38 pm

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby noddy » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:06 am

Heracleum Persicum wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:I know from PM's that Marcus was deliberately trolling Ibrahim. . .


That's not quite accurate, Nonc, here's the actual PM to which you refer:

Marcus wrote:
Don't take my replies to Ib too seriously . . for the most part I'm simply curious about how far he will go to have the last word.


Trolling? Maybe, maybe not. I find xenophobic closed-mindedness a genuine curiosity. All of us are opinionated . . that's fine, but when someone is so opinionated as to rudely exclude all possibility of error, well . . I find that simply amazing. Ibs was a unique case . . that's all.

Sometimes trolling is a worthwhile activity. Welcome back! ;)



what is "Trolling" ? ? ?

I know trolling on Salmon fishing .. but don't know what is meant here

.

.



instead of fishing for salmon, you fish for anger.

throw the tasty morsel into the conversation and wait for someone to take the bait.
noddy
 
Posts: 5167
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby Heracleum Persicum » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:46 am

noddy wrote:
Heracleum Persicum wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:I know from PM's that Marcus was deliberately trolling Ibrahim. . .


That's not quite accurate, Nonc, here's the actual PM to which you refer:

Marcus wrote:
Don't take my replies to Ib too seriously . . for the most part I'm simply curious about how far he will go to have the last word.


Trolling? Maybe, maybe not. I find xenophobic closed-mindedness a genuine curiosity. All of us are opinionated . . that's fine, but when someone is so opinionated as to rudely exclude all possibility of error, well . . I find that simply amazing. Ibs was a unique case . . that's all.

Sometimes trolling is a worthwhile activity. Welcome back! ;)



what is "Trolling" ? ? ?

I know trolling on Salmon fishing .. but don't know what is meant here

.

.



instead of fishing for salmon, you fish for anger.

throw the tasty morsel into the conversation and wait for someone to take the bait.

.



Bringing up "controversial" subjects and points for debate should be welcomed .. that's one reason we here, to air and try to understand how these controversial subjects are viewed by opposing factions, with facts and evidence, should not be viewed as "trolling"


Ibrahim and MP have their strong views of things, so does Azari .. and .. bring interesting AND controversial subject to fora, that can be seen of many pages of posts in most thread I initiate

Ibrahim and Hans not posting is a great loss for OTNT

.
Last edited by Heracleum Persicum on Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Heracleum Persicum
 
Posts: 8252
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:38 pm

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby noddy » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:12 am

no arugments from me, i dont really remember having a problem with anyone ever, its not like i have to live with anyone here :)

i was just defining trolling, the act of fishing for anger, one mans troller is another mans devils advocate heh.
noddy
 
Posts: 5167
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby Heracleum Persicum » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:57 pm

noddy wrote:no arugments from me, i dont really remember having a problem with anyone ever, its not like i have to live with anyone here :)

i was just defining trolling, the act of fishing for anger, one mans troller is another mans devils advocate heh.



noddy, you did an excellent explanation .. I love fishing, Salmon fishing, trolling (with down-rigger), and mooching .. though my favorite is trolling


.
User avatar
Heracleum Persicum
 
Posts: 8252
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:38 pm

Look Mr Peabody! No Hans Christian Oersted.....

Postby monster_gardener » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:09 pm

Heracleum Persicum wrote:
noddy wrote:
Heracleum Persicum wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:I know from PM's that Marcus was deliberately trolling Ibrahim. . .


That's not quite accurate, Nonc, here's the actual PM to which you refer:

Marcus wrote:
Don't take my replies to Ib too seriously . . for the most part I'm simply curious about how far he will go to have the last word.


Trolling? Maybe, maybe not. I find xenophobic closed-mindedness a genuine curiosity. All of us are opinionated . . that's fine, but when someone is so opinionated as to rudely exclude all possibility of error, well . . I find that simply amazing. Ibs was a unique case . . that's all.

Sometimes trolling is a worthwhile activity. Welcome back! ;)



what is "Trolling" ? ? ?

I know trolling on Salmon fishing .. but don't know what is meant here

.

.



instead of fishing for salmon, you fish for anger.

throw the tasty morsel into the conversation and wait for someone to take the bait.

.



Bringing up "controversial" subjects and points for debate should be welcomed .. that's one reason we here, to air and try to understand how these controversial subjects are viewed by opposing factions, with facts and evidence, should not be viewed as "trolling"


Ibrahim and MP have their strong views of things, so does Azari .. and .. bring interesting AND controversial subject to fora, that can be seen of many pages of posts in most thread I initiate

Ibrahim and Hans not posting is a great loss for OTNT

.


Thank You Very Much for your post, Azari.

Ibrahim and Hans not posting is a great loss for OTNT


Hans not posting is a loss. ;)

Yes, really......

Also don't like having to say...

Look, Ma!
No Hans! ;)

Hat Tip to that extraordinary dog Mr. Peabody & his boy Sherman in the Hans Christian Oersted episode :lol: .....

And of course Jay Ward of Bullwinkle fame.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mister_Peabody

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Christian_%C3%98rsted

Other than that Voldemort :twisted: policy......... :lol:
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
User avatar
monster_gardener
 
Posts: 5334
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:36 am
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Re: Internet Trolls and Personality Traits

Postby Miss_Faucie_Fishtits » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:14 pm

Heracleum Persicum wrote:
noddy wrote:no arugments from me, i dont really remember having a problem with anyone ever, its not like i have to live with anyone here :)

i was just defining trolling, the act of fishing for anger, one mans troller is another mans devils advocate heh.



noddy, you did an excellent explanation .. I love fishing, Salmon fishing, trolling (with down-rigger), and mooching .. though my favorite is trolling


.



and...... then there's catfish noodling.....^^.......
User avatar
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits
 
Posts: 848
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:58 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Current Events

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron