COVID-19 and Other Pandemics | Anarchy in the USA

This too shall pass.
Doc

Re: The Pandemic | Ebola, MERS, and other fears

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:Science Mag | 'Superspreading event' triggers MERS explosion in South Korea
SEOUL—Authorities in South Korea are scrambling to contain an outbreak of the deadly Middle Eastern respiratory syndrome (MERS). At least 25 people have been infected—including one patient who traveled to China—and two have died in what is already the biggest outbreak of MERS outside the Arabian Peninsula. Scientists are wondering how a single imported case could have led to so many secondary infections.

The outbreak started when a 68-year-old man who returned from a business trip to four Middle Eastern countries on 4 May fell ill a week later. He was treated at several clinics before being diagnosed with MERS on 20 May.
So far, Korea has quarantined close to 700 people to stop the spread of the virus. But a 44-year-old man who fell ill after visiting his hospitalized relatives in Seoul ignored quarantine orders and flew to Hong Kong on 26 May, after which he traveled by bus to Huizhou in China's Guangdong province. Alerted by the Korean government that the man had been in close contact with a MERS patient, local health authorities found him and placed him in isolation in Huizhou Municipal Central Hospital on 27 May. He tested positive for MERS on 29 May.
XZxzJGgox_E
Do you know if he was contagious while he was traveling?
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Re: The Pandemic | Ebola, MERS, and other fears

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote: . . .

Do you know if he was contagious while he was traveling?
Apparently, yes. Candidate for Moron-of-the-Year.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Re: The Potential Pandemic | Ebola, MERS, and other fears

Post by Typhoon »

Nature | Successful Ebola vaccine provides 100% protection in trial
An experimental Ebola vaccine seems to confer total protection against infection in patients at high risk of contracting the virus, according to preliminary results of a trial in Guinea that were announced today and published1 in The Lancet. They are the first evidence of any kind that a vaccine protects humans from Ebola infection.

“We believe the world is on the verge of an efficacious Ebola vaccine," Marie-Paule Kieny, the World Health Organization's assistant director-general for health systems and innovation, said during a press conference in Geneva, Switzerland, today.
The vaccine was developed by [the] Public Health Agency of Canada and then licensed to the companies NewLink Genetics and Merck.
Well done, Canada. Well done.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

Behold thy doom.
The world is on the cusp of a "post-antibiotic era", scientists have warned after finding bacteria resistant to drugs used when all other treatments have failed.

They identified bacteria able to shrug off the drug of last resort - colistin - in patients and livestock in China.

They said that resistance would spread around the world and raised the spectre of untreatable infections.

It is likely resistance emerged after colistin was overused in farm animals.

Bacteria becoming completely resistant to treatment - also known as the antibiotic apocalypse - could plunge medicine back into the dark ages.
Doc

Post by Doc »

http://news.yahoo.com/liberia-monitors- ... NlYwNzcg--

Liberia monitors over 150 Ebola contacts as virus re-emerges
Reuters By James Harding Giahyue
2 hours ago



The Ebola virus treatment center where four people are currently being treated is seen in Paynesville

View gallery
The Ebola virus treatment center where four people are currently being treated is seen in Paynesville, …

By James Harding Giahyue
Related Stories

Health authorities: 3 new Ebola cases in Liberia Associated Press
New Ebola cases hit Liberia after country declared virus free Reuters
Guinea releases last 68 people from Ebola quarantine Reuters
Three new confirmed cases in previously Ebola-free Liberia: WHO AFP
Sierra Leone declared free of Ebola, as Guinea struggles Associated Press
Churn Your Way Out Powerade Sponsored 

MONROVIA (Reuters) - Liberia has placed 153 people under surveillance as it seeks to control a new Ebola outbreak in the capital more than two months after the country was declared free of the virus, health officials said.

Three Ebola cases emerged in Liberia on Friday. The first of the new patients was a 15-year-old boy called Nathan Gbotoe from Paynesville, a suburb east of the capital Monrovia. Two other family members have since been confirmed as positive and they are all hospitalized.

"We have three confirmed cases and have listed 153 contacts, and we have labeled them as high, medium and low in terms of the risk," Liberia's Chief Medical Officer Dr. Francis Kateh told Reuters late on Saturday.

The West African country has suffered the highest death toll in the worst known Ebola outbreak in history, losing more than 4,800 people. It has twice been declared Ebola-free by the World Health Organization, once in May and again on Sept. 3, only for new cases to emerge.

It is not known how Gbotoe was infected and Kateh did not offer any explanation, saying that investigations were ongoing. Cross-border transmission seems unlikely since neighboring Guinea has zero cases while Sierra Leone was declared Ebola-free this month after 42 days without a case.
View gallery
A health worker sprays disinfectant on an ambulance …
A health worker sprays disinfectant on an ambulance in Nedowein, Liberia, July 15, 2015. REUTERS/Jam …

In the Duport Road neighborhood of Paynesville, health officials went from house to house on Saturday delivering food and water to neighbors of the infected family, deemed at risk of catching the disease.

Unlike in previous months, there were no barriers or soldiers to enforce quarantines.

Neighbor Elizabeth Powell said she was more worried about lost income than catching Ebola, which is transmitted through the bodily fluids of the sick.

"I am worried about food and my business," she said. The epidemic has crippled Liberia's economy and President Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf says it will take two years to recover.

The previous resurgence of Ebola in Liberia is thought to have been via sexual transmission since the virus can exist in the semen of male survivors for at least nine months after infection, much longer than its incubation period in blood.

It is also theoretically possible for an infected animal to trigger a fresh chain of transmission. The index case in the West African outbreak that has killed around 11,300 people was a child believed to have been infected by a bat.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
noddy

Post by noddy »

Demon of Undoing wrote:Behold thy doom.
The world is on the cusp of a "post-antibiotic era", scientists have warned after finding bacteria resistant to drugs used when all other treatments have failed.

They identified bacteria able to shrug off the drug of last resort - colistin - in patients and livestock in China.

They said that resistance would spread around the world and raised the spectre of untreatable infections.

It is likely resistance emerged after colistin was overused in farm animals.

Bacteria becoming completely resistant to treatment - also known as the antibiotic apocalypse - could plunge medicine back into the dark ages.
from theory to first case in no time.
Superbugs resistant to all antibiotics have spread to Europe for the first time.
A patient in Denmark has become infected with an untreatable form of salmonella, scientists announced today.
They also discovered untreatable bacteria in five samples of chicken imported from China via Germany.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... z3tXnAS5cI
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Hard to find any new news about the Ebola virus which was going to kill us all.

Oh, well. At least we still have the Muzzies . . .

In the mean time

DW | Scientists discover new antibiotic-resistant gene MCR-1 in China

Feeding the last-line-of-defense antibiotic to pigs in China to make them fatter. Brilliant. F*cking brilliant.
noddy

Post by noddy »

thats awesome.

cop that optimists! human stupidty is an undeniable force.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:thats awesome.

cop that optimists! human stupidty is an undeniable force.
In the final battle between the Dark Side and Stupidity, that's an easy bet.

"Against stupidity, even the gods struggle in vain."
noddy

Post by noddy »

those abhramics will be awfully smug if armageddon is caused by bacon :[
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Never mind the future, here's a bit of good news:

WHO declares Ebola outbreak over
The World Health Organization (WHO) today declared Liberia free of Ebola, marking the end of the outbreak in West Africa. “Today is a good day,” Rick Brennan, director of emergency risk management and humanitarian action at WHO, said at a press conference in Geneva, Switzerland. But he also urged continued vigilance, warning that there was a significant risk of flare-ups. “While this is an important milestone and an important step forward, we have to say that the job is still not done. That’s because there is still ongoing risk of reemergence of the disease because of persistence of the virus in a proportion of survivors,” Brennan said.

The announcement came 42 days after the last confirmed Ebola patient in Liberia twice tested negative for the virus. It is the first time that all known chains of transmission in the three Ebola-ravaged countries have been stopped. Sierra Leone was declared free of Ebola on 7 November, and Guinea followed at the end of December. All three countries are now in a 90-day period of heightened surveillance.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Ebola - Fruit Bats & More....

Post by monster_gardener »

Typhoon wrote:Never mind the future, here's a bit of good news:

The World Health Organization (WHO) today declared Liberia free of Ebola, marking the end of the outbreak in West Africa. “Today is a good day,” Rick Brennan, director of emergency risk management and humanitarian action at WHO, said at a press conference in Geneva, Switzerland. But he also urged continued vigilance, warning that there was a significant risk of flare-ups. “While this is an important milestone and an important step forward, we have to say that the job is still not done. That’s because there is still ongoing risk of reemergence of the disease because of persistence of the virus in a proportion of survivors,” Brennan said.

The announcement came 42 days after the last confirmed Ebola patient in Liberia twice tested negative for the virus. It is the first time that all known chains of transmission in the three Ebola-ravaged countries have been stopped. Sierra Leone was declared free of Ebola on 7 November, and Guinea followed at the end of December. All three countries are now in a 90-day period of heightened surveillance.
Thank You Very Much for your post, Typhoon,
That’s because there is still ongoing risk of reemergence of the disease because of persistence of the virus in a proportion of survivors,” Brennan said.
And also in the animal reservoir for the virus....... Fruit bats........

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/

Perhaps other primates.....
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Typhoon

Re: Ebola - Fruit Bats & More....

Post by Typhoon »

monster_gardener wrote:
Typhoon wrote:Never mind the future, here's a bit of good news:

Thank You Very Much for your post, Typhoon,
That’s because there is still ongoing risk of reemergence of the disease because of persistence of the virus in a proportion of survivors,” Brennan said.
And also in the animal reservoir for the virus....... Fruit bats........

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/

Perhaps other primates.....
No one is claiming that Ebola has been wiped out, only that it is currently under control.

Another outbreak is always a possibility due to the reasons you noted above.
One hope that everyone will be better prepared and informed the next time.
Doc

Children of Men

Post by Doc »

Q9CFcTY_pik
While there are certainly differences, the similarities are striking.
WHO: Zika virus ‘spreading explosively,’ ‘level of alarm extremely high’

By Ariana Eunjung Cha and Lena H. Sun January 28 at 1:51 PM
Brazil mobilizes against outbreak of mosquito-borne virus
View Photos
South America’s biggest country has seen a rise in cases of a disease triggered by the little-known Zika virus being linked to a spike in birth defects.

The World Health Organization announced Thursday that it will convene an emergency meeting to try to find ways to stop the transmission of the Zika virus — which officials said is "spreading explosively" across the Americas.

"The level of alarm is extremely high, as is the level of uncertainty. Questions abound. We need to get some answers quickly, " Margaret Chan, director general of the WHO, said in Geneva in a briefing for member countries.

Chan said that the situation today is dramatically different from last year because of the multiplying number of cases and the severity of the symptoms.

[Why the United States is so vulnerable to the alarming spread of Zika]

Health officials said 23 countries are affected by mosquitoes that are spreading the virus locally. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the United States has 31 confirmed cases in 11 states and the District of Columbia. All are travel-related, the CDC's Lyle Petersen said, and "this number is increasing rapidly." The country also has 20 additional cases because of local transmission in U.S. territories — 19 in Puerto Rico and one in the U.S. Virgin Islands.
World Health Organization explains the Zika virus
Play Video2:53
As the Zika virus rapidly spreads to new countries, the World Health Organization provides answers to some of the most essential questions about the mosquito-born disease. (YouTube/World Health Organisation)

In a separate briefing with reporters, U.S. officials said all states here are now required to report Zika cases. As a result, they said they expect to see a sharp increase in reports of travel-related cases. But they reiterated that the United States is unlikely to have the kind of widespread local outbreaks that are taking place in other parts of the Americas.

Global health officials have come under criticism from some public health experts for not moving quickly enough to call an emergency meeting on Zika. They accused the WHO of failing to learn its lesson from the Ebola epidemic of 2014, when the agency delayed sounding the alarm for months..

The WHO said the reason Zika appears to be spreading so rapidly is two-fold: One, because it is a new disease to the region, the population does not have immunity, and two, the Zika virus is primarily transmitted by a mosquito species known as A. aegypti, which lives in every country in North and South America except Canada and Chile.

Several countries, such as El Salvador, have been so shaken by the reports that they have taken extreme measures by advising women of childbearing age to wait six months to two years before trying to become pregnant.
More at the link
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to- ... mely-high/
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Another day, another bacterium or virus.

Nature. Why you so naughty?

US CDC | Zika virus
Zika virus is spread to people through mosquito bites. The most common symptoms of Zika virus disease are fever, rash, joint pain, and conjunctivitis (red eyes). The illness is usually mild with symptoms lasting from several days to a week. Severe disease requiring hospitalization is uncommon.

In May 2015, the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) issued an alert regarding the first confirmed Zika virus infection in Brazil. The outbreak in Brazil led to reports of Guillain-Barré syndrome and pregnant women giving birth to babies with birth defects and poor pregnancy outcomes.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:Another day, another bacterium or virus.

Nature. Why you so naughty?

US CDC | Zika virus
Zika virus is spread to people through mosquito bites. The most common symptoms of Zika virus disease are fever, rash, joint pain, and conjunctivitis (red eyes). The illness is usually mild with symptoms lasting from several days to a week. Severe disease requiring hospitalization is uncommon.

In May 2015, the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) issued an alert regarding the first confirmed Zika virus infection in Brazil. The outbreak in Brazil led to reports of Guillain-Barré syndrome and pregnant women giving birth to babies with birth defects and poor pregnancy outcomes.
Zika now found to be, along with Mosquito bites, sexually transmitted , Living in human saliva, transmittable in transfused blood.

Now they are saying Zika Virus may also cause Guillan Barre Syndrome.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/04/opinions/ ... drome-vox/
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Zika is a minor disease identified in the forties. It has never been associated with anencephaly or microcephaly, and microcephaly is simply a comparison of cranial circumference with standards. There is way too much fuss over this.

I think somebody is trying to scare people away from making plans to go to the Olympics. Brazil is having economic problems, so they added Zika to the rumor mill to make things worse. Political lavender stirring.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Zika is a minor disease identified in the forties. It has never been associated with anencephaly or microcephaly, and microcephaly is simply a comparison of cranial circumference with standards. There is way too much fuss over this.

I think somebody is trying to scare people away from making plans to go to the Olympics. Brazil is having economic problems, so they added Zika to the rumor mill to make things worse. Political lavender stirring.
So Brazilians across the sociopolitical spectrum are engaged in a mass conspiracy to further sabotage their own economy? Man, you're not even trying anymore. That's even less believable than Alex Jones's belief that the government is putting chemicals in the water to turn us gay.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Zack Morris wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:Zika is a minor disease identified in the forties. It has never been associated with anencephaly or microcephaly, and microcephaly is simply a comparison of cranial circumference with standards. There is way too much fuss over this.

So Brazilians across the sociopolitical spectrum are engaged in a mass conspiracy to further sabotage their own economy? Man, you're not even trying anymore. That's even less believable than Alex Jones's belief that the government is putting chemicals in the water to turn us gay.
It's the WHO that is jumping to conclusions, not Brazil.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Post by Doc »

Zack Morris wrote:

Damned those sneaky Brazilians !!! They probably created Zika to blame it on the foreign devils caused them to lose the world cup.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

We have confirmed Zika cases one county away, so I get to hear all the official reports read by the news. Zika is nothing but a boogeyman.

Teresa of Ávila
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

So you're saying the WHO is fabricating this crisis to crash the Brazilian Olympics?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Zack Morris wrote:So you're saying the WHO is fabricating this crisis to crash the Brazilian Olympics?
That's not what I read.

Rather that WHO may be overreacting with regards to the Zika virus.

If you want something to worry about, suggest Chagas disease or drug-resistant tuberculosis and malaria