COVID-19 and Other Pandemics | Anarchy in the USA

This too shall pass.
Doc

Re: Potential new ebola cases in Hawaii Utah

Post by Doc »

Zack Morris wrote:This crisis would be much more manageable with less centralization and more privatization. In fact, if we could return the government to its early 19th century scale, the private sector would have already crushed Ebola and HIV.
Asked what's needed to turn that around, Flannery says, "More Firestones" — places with have the money, resources and unwavering determination to stop Ebola.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/goatsandsoda/2 ... its-tracks
The classic slogan for Firestone tires was "where the rubber meets the road."

When it comes to Ebola, the rubber met the road at the Firestone rubber plantation in Harbel, Liberia.

Harbel is a company town not far from the capital city of Monrovia. It was named in 1926 after the founder of the Firestone Tire and Rubber Company, Harvey and his wife, Idabelle. Today, Firestone workers and their families make up a community of 80,000 people across the plantation.

Firestone detected its first Ebola case on March 30, when an employee's wife arrived from northern Liberia. She'd been caring for a disease-stricken woman and was herself diagnosed with the disease. Since then Firestone has done a remarkable job of keeping the virus at bay. Its built its own treatment center and set up a comprehensive response that's managed to quickly stop transmission. Dr. Brendan Flannery, the head of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's team in Liberia, has hailed Firestone's efforts as resourceful, innovative and effective.

Currently the only Ebola cases on the sprawling, 185-square-mile plantation are in patients who come from neighboring towns.

Long rows of dappled rubber trees cover Harbel's landscape. Prevailing winds cause the adult trees to lean westward. Back when Firestone was still based in Ohio, employees used to joke that the trees are "bowing to Akron."

When the Ebola case was diagnosed, "we went in to crisis mode," recalls Ed Garcia, the managing director of Firestone Liberia. He redirected his entire management structure toward Ebola.

Levi Zeopueger, 40, was treated at Firestone's Ebola clinic and survived. But he lost 11 other members of his family to the virus.
i

Levi Zeopueger, 40, was treated at Firestone's Ebola clinic and survived. But he lost 11 other members of his family to the virus.

John W. Poole/NPR

Garcia's team first his team tried to find a hospital in the capital to care for the woman. "Unfortunately at that time there was no facility that could accommodate her," he says. "So we quickly realized that we had to handle the situation ourselves."

The case was detected on a Sunday. Garcia and a medical team from the company hospital spent Monday setting up an Ebola ward. Tuesday the woman was placed in isolation.

"None of us had any Ebola experience," he says. They scoured the Internet for information about how to treat Ebola. They cleared out a building on the hospital grounds and set up an isolation ward. They grabbed a bunch of hazmat suits for dealing with chemical spills at the rubber factory and gave them to the hospital staff. The suits worked just as well for Ebola cases.

Firestone immediately quarantined the family of the woman. Like so many Ebola patients, she died soon after being admitted to the ward. But no one else at Firestone got infected: not her family and not the workers who transported, treated and cared for her.

The Firestone managers had the benefit of backing and resources of a major corporation — something the communities around them did not.

Firestone didn't see another Ebola case for four months. Then in August, as the epidemic raced through the nearby capital, patients with Ebola started appearing at the one hospital and several clinics across the giant rubber plantation. The hospital isolation ward was expanded to 23 beds and a prefab annex was built. Containing Ebola became the number one priority of the company. Schools in the town, which has been closed by government decree, were transformed into quarantine centers. Teachers were dispatched for door-to-door outreach.

Hundreds of people with possible exposure to the virus were placed under quarantine. Seventy-two cases were cases reported. Forty-eight were treated in the hospital and 18 survived. By mid-September the company's Ebola treatment unit was nearly full.

As of this weekend, however, only three patients remained: a trio of boys age 4, 9 and 17.

"So we have these three," says Dr. Benedict Wollor, coordinator for the Ebola treatment unit at Firestone. "We are concerned because by this morning the four-year-old was just crying."

A team is getting dressed in full body suits, gloves and goggles to enter the ward: a doctor, two nurses and a man with an agricultural sprayer full of disinfectant strapped to his back. Wollor says the team has a lot of work to do before they get overheated in their industrial spacesuits.

Nurse Monika Mulbah suits up before entering the Ebola ward at Firestone's clinic. Currently there are three patients, ages 4, 9 and 17.

John W. Poole/NPR

Nurse Monika Mulbah suits up before entering the Ebola ward at Firestone's clinic. Currently there are three patients, ages 4, 9 and 17.

"They have to change pampers, bedding, even bathe them," says Wollor. "Make sure they're clean. If someone is dehydrated, open an IV line. Imagine how we maintain an IV line on a kid."

These three boys all came from outside the plantation. So even as the worst Ebola outbreak ever recorded rages all around them, Firestone appears to have blocked the virus from spreading inside its territory.

Dr. Flannery of the CDC says a key reason for Firestone's success is the close monitoring of people who've potentially been exposed to the virus — and the moving of anyone who's had contact with an Ebola patient into voluntary quarantine.

By most accounts this Ebola outbreak remains out of control, with health care workers across West Africa struggling to contain it.

Asked what's needed to turn that around, Flannery says, "More Firestones" — places with have the money, resources and unwavering determination to stop Ebola.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Doc

Re: Ebola fears

Post by Doc »

kmich wrote:
Doc wrote:BTW that is very interesting you were in Africa during a outbreak I used to get a news server email feed of outbreaks of contagious diseases back in the 1990's SO I probably read about the same outbreak you were involved in. I don't know what happened to the news server. I just stopped getting the email at some point.
There are many outbreaks, particularly in rural areas, that never get reported, particularly if they are isolated and of smaller scale. Also, community leaders prefer to hide disease outbreaks in their districts to maintain agricultural commerce and their reputations. Reporting has certainly improved over the years, but is still not reliable in Africa.
I kind of gathered that many never got reported. I read stories of villagers blocking the roads into and out of their villages Mostly a pole in the road to stop traffic and some kind of quarantine warning.

I put my finger on what is wrong with the government public response to Ebola.

Remember the recycling drives in WWII?? They actually were pretty much worthless as far as directly aiding the war effort. The reason for them was to give people the sense they were personally doing something about the war. People are all neurotic to one degree or another. Giving them something to do to contributing to fighting what they are afraid of keeps them calm. I thought Bush made a mistake after 911 telling people if they wanted to fight the terrorists to keep on shopping. He really did not explain the concerns of the economic costs of the 911 attacks on the economy. It was why Greenspan lowered interest rates down towards 1% So at least in the minds of government officials and politicians People shopping till they dropped was a real way to fight the terrorists as the would not be so much fight if the economy collapsed. But they did not spell that out.

Obama should never have ruled out travel restrictions Even if he would never do it. It makes people feel more vulnerable when they know something is not going to be done. The reason he did it was to cut off all debate and to make a political statement Politics when people have fears for the health of their selves and their families do not go over very well.

Now look at who has been the bigger part of the fight against Ebola in Africa.. NGO's Obama and his administration really ought to be encouraging people to raise money for those aids groups on the front lines of the outbreak. I mean he is a community Organizer after all.

All Obama had to do (Actually he still could) is make some remarks on it Like:
"Now I would like to say something about the courageous volunteers that have been at the fronts lines of this outbreak. They and the NGOs that support them have really taken it on the chin. Risked their own lives to fight Ebola in very trying conditions." (Then put names and faces on it by giving some shout outs to some of the volunteers )

"Like Dr. George Risi who spent a month in Serra Leone And is now in Cuba training Cuban medical workers about to head there

http://www.npr.org/blogs/goatsandsoda/2 ... a-patients

I would encourage everyone to work to raise money for their efforts They not only need your support,they truly deserve your support
"

This is called leadership
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Ok everyone, time for a big truth dose here.

First, as goes without saying, many of you have no claim to pointing fingers about the hysterical response here as you have done the same thing about statistically insignificant events like shootings, whether mass or police (Ferguson).

Second, this is just another example of MSM left wing media dysfunction.

Now for your teachable moment.

When a shooting occurs or an ebola outbreak, there is no reason whatsoever for Michael Moore, Al Sharpton, or Donald Trump to be put anywhere near a microphone, as they know nothing of the subject matter. Anderson Cooper and Rachel Maddow should have criminologists and epidemiologists on their shows only, they should be humble and acknowledge their stupidity and that they know less than nothing about the topics and let the experts educate the public on the topic.

I know absolutely nothing about ebola, nothing about what is currently happening and it is impossible to find out anything because the horse$#!t left wing media has drowned the internet in garbage, as they do any sensational event. There is no way to find out anything about what is going on. You cannot find out what professionals are projecting as likely outcomes. There are no relative risk reports being offered by information outlets.

In today's age, within 24 hours of a shooting the public should all know that mass shootings are in likelihood range of lightning strikes and that states with the least amount of gun laws have murder rates as low as Europe. They should know what professional epidemiologists think about what are likely scenarios are.

But we don't, and we don't because the left wing MSM and their base of support, liberals, have a vested interest in disinformation.

So this is why we now pay the price. It's 2014 and nobody here has any idea what's going on.
Censorship isn't necessary
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Google is your friend.

___US and firearms___

All US homicides
Number of deaths: 16,238
Deaths per 100,000 population: 5.2

Firearm US homicides
Number of deaths: 11,068
Deaths per 100,000 population: 3.6

68% of US homicides involve the use of firearms

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/homicide.htm

Global context:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... death_rate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of ... by_country

Note: for illustrative purposes only, any further debate on US homicides and firearms to be continued in the appropriate thread.

___Ebola___

Image *

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/10 ... s-is-ebola

*would have like to have seen influenza listed in this plot

Professional medical source:

http://www.uptodate.com/contents/epidem ... us-disease

Professional scientific source:

http://news.sciencemag.org/africa/2014/ ... tion-ebola

_____

The MSM is in the ever tougher business of selling advertising to try and survive.

Sensationalism and appealing to the lowest common denominator, such as FUD and conspiracy theories, on both sides of the politically polarized population has become the norm.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Mr. Perfect wrote: When a shooting occurs or an ebola outbreak, there is no reason whatsoever for Michael Moore, Al Sharpton, or Donald Trump to be put anywhere near a microphone, as they know nothing of the subject matter. Anderson Cooper and Rachel Maddow should have criminologists and epidemiologists on their shows only, they should be humble and acknowledge their stupidity and that they know less than nothing about the topics and let the experts educate the public on the topic.
In the last few weeks I've largely been browsing Google News (and wherever it takes me), WSJ, The Atlantic, The Economist, and Bloomberg. I haven't seen any mention of Moore, Sharpton, or Trump, but lots of statements from the CDC -- subject matter experts, in other words. The chart that Typhoon just posted appeared in my Facebook feed 3 days ago. Ebola hasn't once been the topic of any casual conversation I've had at work or otherwise in New York since the outbreak began (excluding conversations with my parents and my girlfriend).
I know absolutely nothing about ebola, nothing about what is currently happening and it is impossible to find out anything because the horse$#!t left wing media has drowned the internet in garbage, as they do any sensational event. There is no way to find out anything about what is going on. You cannot find out what professionals are projecting as likely outcomes. There are no relative risk reports being offered by information outlets.
At last, the source of the unusual beliefs you've expressed about the world has finally come to light: you've been flailing about in the media kiddie pool all these years!
Doc

Post by Doc »

Zack Morris wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote: When a shooting occurs or an ebola outbreak, there is no reason whatsoever for Michael Moore, Al Sharpton, or Donald Trump to be put anywhere near a microphone, as they know nothing of the subject matter. Anderson Cooper and Rachel Maddow should have criminologists and epidemiologists on their shows only, they should be humble and acknowledge their stupidity and that they know less than nothing about the topics and let the experts educate the public on the topic.
In the last few weeks I've largely been browsing Google News (and wherever it takes me), WSJ, The Atlantic, The Economist, and Bloomberg. I haven't seen any mention of Moore, Sharpton, or Trump, but lots of statements from the CDC -- subject matter experts, in other words. The chart that Typhoon just posted appeared in my Facebook feed 3 days ago. Ebola hasn't once been the topic of any casual conversation I've had at work or otherwise in New York since the outbreak began (excluding conversations with my parents and my girlfriend).
At last, the source of the unusual beliefs you've expressed about the world has finally come to light: you've been flailing about in the media kiddie pool all these years!

And your beliefs Zack Morris Why don't you want to talk about them? :roll:

viewtopic.php?p=80252#p80252

BTW I don't think you read Mr.P's post correctly.
Doc

Post by Doc »

The thing not mentioned in this article was that the nurse was in the same room with the original patience twice. She was in full protective gear both times. So they don't really know how she got infected.

http://www.nola.com/health/index.ssf/20 ... nosed.html

BARCELONA, Spain — A nurse in Spain has become the first health worker to be infected with the Ebola virus outside of West Africa, raising serious concerns about how prepared Western nations are to safely treat people with the deadly illness.

The nurse contracted the illness while treating a Spanish missionary who was infected in Sierra Leone and flown to Madrid’s Carlos III hospital, where he died on Sept. 25, Spain’s Health Ministry said. The priest, Manuel García Viejo, died three days after being flown back to Spain, and the nurse entered his room only twice, including once after his death, according to Antonio Alemany, a health official from the regional government of Madrid.

The case is particularly worrisome to health experts because Spain is a developed country that is considered to possess the kind of rigorous infection control measures that should prevent disease transmission in the hospital. Although the Ebola epidemic has killed hundreds of doctors and nurses in West Africa, health officials in Europe and the United States have reassured the public repeatedly that if the disease reached their shores, their health care systems would be able to treat patients safely, without endangering health workers or the public.

Chernoh Alpha Bah in Freetown, Sierra Leone, on Friday. Medical supplies that Mr. Bah shipped to Sierra Leone to help fight Ebola have sat in a shipping container for almost two months.

Ebola Help for Sierra Leone Is Nearby, but Delayed on the DocksOCT. 5, 2014

While the risk to hospital workers is thought to be far lower in developed countries, the infection of the Spanish nurse, along with the missteps in dealing with Ebola in Dallas, exposes weak spots in highly praised defense systems.

Ana Mato, Spain’s health minister, said in a televised news conference that the nurse, who has not been identified publicly, tested positive for Ebola twice, and that the rest of the 30-person team that looked after the missionary would be monitored to see if any of its members develop symptoms of Ebola. She said it was not clear how the nurse became infected.

“It is certainly a sobering moment whenever we see a health care worker infected,” said Abbigail Tumpey, a spokeswoman for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in the United States. “It really highlights the need for rigorous infection control throughout everything health care workers are doing, starting with the triage of patients, getting patients into appropriate isolation and then appropriately treating and managing the patient. Any lapse could potentially expose somebody.”

Health officials in Spain said the team was properly equipped with protective gear, including gloves, gowns, masks and eye protection. The gear is meant to prevent exposure to bodily fluids, which spread the disease. But experts say the greatest risk comes from removing contaminated gear, which must be done according to a strict protocol to avoid infecting oneself. It takes training and practice.

The case in Dallas, Ms. Tumpey added, has led the C.D.C. to redouble its efforts to urge hospitals to be on the lookout for potential cases and to handle them correctly.

Ms. Mato, the Spanish health minister, said, “We are trying to determine whether all the health safety protocols have been followed.”

Infections among health care workers are “an alarming feature of this outbreak,” according to the World Health Organization. As of Oct. 1, 382 health workers in West Africa have contracted the disease, including 216 who died. The high rate has been attributed largely to the lack of personal protective gear, disinfectants and running water in many hospitals and clinics.

Doctors Without Borders, a group known for its meticulous attention to infection control and success in protecting its workers, also reported on Monday that one of its staff members caring for patients in Sierra Leone had contracted Ebola. The worker is to be airlifted to Europe for treatment, and the group said it is investigating the case to try to find out how the infection occurred. Another of its workers was also infected previously, but recovered.

Situated close to the highway that circles the Spanish capital, the Carlos III hospital is tied to the much larger La Paz hospital in Madrid, but it was selected because it has long specialized in researching H.I.V. and other infectious as well as tropical diseases. In August, an entire floor of the hospital was sealed off and turned into an isolation unit, initially to treat Miguel Pajares, another Spanish priest who had been working in Africa and was the first European to be repatriated after being infected with Ebola. Father Pajares died on Aug. 12, five days after entering the special unit.

In August, when the Spanish government decided to repatriate Father Pajares, the decision raised some concerns among local medical experts about whether Spain had adequate infrastructure to handle such a case. Daniel Bernabéu, the president of Amyts, a Spanish union representing doctors, said at the time that the government decision was “political and not sanitary.” He claimed that neither the government nor anybody else could “guarantee 100 percent that the virus wouldn’t escape.”On Monday, Mr. Bernabéu told Efe, the Spanish national news agency, that even if Spain had the means to prevent Ebola spreading from the infected nurse as it has done in Africa, her case “should be used by all of us to think about whether we should host everybody and how to do it well.”

Ms. Mato urged people to remain calm, adding that “all the possible measures” were being taken to guarantee public health safety.

Antonio Alemany, a health official from the regional government of Madrid, told the news conference that the nurse went on vacation a day after Father García Viejo died. She got in touch with a medical center on Sept. 30 after feeling feverish, but had been leading “a normal life” while on vacation, he added, without giving details on her whereabouts during that period.

Mr. Alemany said the nurse initially showed only “low symptoms” of illness, with a fever of roughly 100 degrees. He described her current condition as stable. He would not estimate how many people had contact with the nurse in the past two weeks, saying that a complete list was being drawn up. On the list is the nurse’s husband, Mr. Alemany said; she has no children. Spanish newspaper websites listed her age as either 40 or 44.

She has been kept in isolation in a hospital in Alcorcón, on the outskirts of Madrid, but not in a unit specialized to treat infections like Ebola. She was transferred to the Carlos III hospital late Monday.
Doc

Post by Doc »

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/medical-scie ... 51-17.html
Medical scientist who discovered Ebola fears that it may spread to India

IBNLive.com
Oct 06, 2014 at 12:23pm IST

London: Professor Peter Piot who discovered Ebola in 1976 fears that it might spread to India. In an interview with British newspaper 'The Guardian', he expressed concerns over India's ability to prevent the deadly disease from entering India.

He said, "There will certainly be Ebola patients from Africa who come to us in the hopes of receiving treatment. And they might even infect a few people here who may then die. But an outbreak in Europe or North America would quickly be brought under control. I am more worried about the many people from India who work in trade or industry in West Africa. It would only take one of them to become infected, travel to India to visit relatives during the virus's incubation period, and then, once he becomes sick, go to a public hospital there. Doctors and nurses in India, too, often don't wear protective gloves. They would immediately become infected and spread the virus."

Professor Peter Piot, the Director of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, was a researcher at a lab in Antwerp when a pilot brought him a blood sample from a Belgian nun who had fallen mysteriously ill in Zaire (now known as DR Congo).

Medical scientist who discovered Ebola fears that it may spread to India

In an interview with British newspaper 'The Guardian', he expressed concerns over India's ability to prevent the deadly disease from entering India.

He said, "In 1976 I discovered Ebola, now I fear an unimaginable tragedy."

A large number of Indians work or engaged in trade and commerce in the Western African countries like Nigeria, Ghana, DR Congo, Congo Brazwille, Angola, Namibia etc.

The government of African nations has put all international airports in India on alert and the passengers from India are made to go for a compulsory medical check up before exiting the airport.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Typhoon wrote:Google is your friend.

The MSM is in the ever tougher business of selling advertising to try and survive.

Sensationalism and appealing to the lowest common denominator, such as FUD and conspiracy theories, on both sides of the politically polarized population has become the norm.
Please read my post next time before commenting, since you didn't address much of anything I said.

Mass shootings and school shootings are in the order of lighting strikes in terms of death tolls, yet the left wing clamor for legislation lasted for half a year based on these unbelievably rare events.

And I apologize, I'm higher information consumer than some I guess, that small graphic tells us almost nothing.

The MSM does not represent both sides. The right wing has clean hands on this one. MSM hysteria is exclusively a left wing phenomenon. Media hysteria is in no way limited to ebola, so discussing firearms or single shooting cases is Germain to the topic, other brought the hysteria point, not me. Again, if other people get to talk about things in a thread then I should be able to talk about them also.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Zack Morris wrote: In the last few weeks I've largely been browsing Google News (and wherever it takes me), WSJ, The Atlantic, The Economist, and Bloomberg. I haven't seen any mention of Moore, Sharpton, or Trump, but lots of statements from the CDC -- subject matter experts, in other words. The chart that Typhoon just posted appeared in my Facebook feed 3 days ago. Ebola hasn't once been the topic of any casual conversation I've had at work or otherwise in New York since the outbreak began (excluding conversations with my parents and my girlfriend).
I didn't know you were that lo info, to think the Atlantic or the Economist will teach you anything about epidemiology.
Please provide a scientific risk assessment by professional epidemiologist in a mainstream journalist organization.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Mr. Perfect wrote:

Please read my post next time before commenting, since you didn't address much of anything I said.

Mass shootings and school shootings are in the order of lighting strikes in terms of death tolls, yet the left wing clamor for legislation lasted for half a year based on these unbelievably rare events.

And I apologize, I'm higher information consumer than some I guess, that small graphic tells us almost nothing.

The MSM does not represent both sides. The right wing has clean hands on this one. MSM hysteria is exclusively a left wing phenomenon. Media hysteria is in no way limited to ebola, so discussing firearms or single shooting cases is Germain to the topic, other brought the hysteria point, not me. Again, if other people get to talk about things in a thread then I should be able to talk about them also.
Chances of getting struck by lightning 1 in 1.9million Chances of being killed by a meteorite 1 in 250,000 Odds of a child in grades 9 to 12 getting killed in school violence 1 in one million

Note that PBS is playing with the stats in that they give the numbers of dead for Ebola in West Africa then go on the give the numbers world wide for all other diseases HOWEVER even in doing that, the projects are up to one million dead in West Africa by the end of Jan. That only puts it above every deadly contagion as the others are numbers for the entire year as oppose to months for Ebola.
Contagious diseases

Deadliest Contagious Diseases By Death Toll

Comparison point: As of Sept. 7, the number of reported deaths in the current Ebola epidemic is 2,218.

HIV/AIDS: 1.6 million deaths

Even though HIV takes a tremendous toll each year, the population of people living with the disease is about 35 million.

Since antiretroviral therapy — ART — became available in the mid-1990s, life expectancy for someone infected with HIV has dramatically increased. Today, a person who is promptly diagnosed with HIV and treated can look forward to a close-to-normal life span.

But as with other diseases, Sulas says, "we have to have the infrastructure to find the cases and be able to afford the medicine and deliver it to those affected."

Tuberculosis: 1.3 million deaths

Despite the death toll for this airborne disease, there is encouraging news: 7.3 million people developed TB and survived in 2012.

Recovery requires a regimen of several drugs over a six- to nine-month period. Patients who don't follow the drug schedule can develop drug-resistant TB. Drug-resistant forms of TB are also airborne. For those patients, treatment can extend to two years.

Pneumonia: 1.1 million children under the age of 5

It's the world's leading killer of children, "more than AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis combined," WHO says. The risks are also high for the elderly and those with other underlying conditions. In rich countries, like the U.S., vaccines can prevent the disease, but that is not the case in much of the world.

Infectious Diarrhea: 760,000 children under the age of 5

"That's an enormous waste," Sulis says. The majority of cases (about 1.7 billion globally each year) could be prevented and treated with better hygiene and sanitation, along with access to clean food and water. "There are many pathogens" that can cause these infections, she says, "but the whole class of diseases categorized as infectious diarrhea is deadly."

Malaria: 627,000 deaths

The world records about 200 million malaria cases each year. According to WHO, "most deaths occur among children living in Africa where a child dies every minute from malaria."

There's a growing worry for both malaria and TB, Sulis says, because "the organisms that cause those diseases are becoming increasingly drug resistant throughout the world."

Deadliest Contagious Diseases By Fatality Rate (If Not Treated)

Here, as in the list above, fatality rates can be lowered significantly depending on the presence of sanitary conditions and the availability of medical care and vaccines.

We present the diseases that appear to have the highest fatality rates if not treated. If the rate is a range, we ranked the disease by the highest possible fatality rate.

Comparison Point: Outbreaks of Ebola can have fatality rates up to 90 percent, WHO says. But in the current outbreak, it's about 50 to 60 percent.

Rabies is nearly 100 percent fatal if not treated. There are approximately 55,000 deaths each year, primarily in Asia and Africa.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:

. . .

Apparently not high enough to read the medical and scientific links.
Mr. Perfect wrote:The MSM does not represent both sides. The right wing has clean hands on this one. MSM hysteria is exclusively a left wing phenomenon. Media hysteria is in no way limited to ebola, so discussing firearms or single shooting cases is Germain to the topic, other brought the hysteria point, not me. Again, if other people get to talk about things in a thread then I should be able to talk about them also.
I include Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, Drudge, Breitbart, et al in the MSM.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Typhoon wrote: Apparently not high enough to read the medical and scientific links.
I've read the links and they tell us nothing.
I include Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, Drudge, Breitbart, et al in the MSM.
Other people do not. Those are considered partisan outlets, while ABCNBCCBSCNNMSNBCnewsweekusatodayNYTWP are considered straight down the middle mainstream journalism.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Why would the mainstream press print scientific journal papers? It's unsuitable for a general audience -- anyone capable of understanding and making informed decisions based on scientific literature will have already sought out that material. The press has been soliciting analysis and commentary from researchers, doctors, hospital directors, etc., many of whom have investigated Ebola or are currently on the front lines battling the epidemic. They've also presented both the consensus view that Ebola is spread through contact with bodily fluids of a person with visible symptoms, that simply being near an asymptomatic infected individual is not likely to cause transmission, as well as the viewpoint that this strain of Ebola may be more contagious than initially assumed given the circumstances under which a Spanish nurse aid became infected.

What information do you think is lacking? Sounds to me like you've already drawn your own conclusions and won't be satisfied until the media confirms them. Until the mainstream press runs with the story that "Obama is a fool for not banning travel", you won't be happy.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Zack Morris wrote:Why would the mainstream press print scientific journal papers?
Because that would be news that would help the public. High information consumers like me.
It's unsuitable for a general audience -- anyone capable of understanding and making informed decisions based on scientific literature will have already sought out that material. The press has been soliciting analysis and commentary from researchers, doctors, hospital directors, etc., many of whom have investigated Ebola or are currently on the front lines battling the epidemic.
You have no citations. You've apparently read all of this and all you got is:
They've also presented both the consensus view that Ebola is spread through contact with bodily fluids of a person with visible symptoms,
Wow. Imagine, virus spread through contact. When you have symptoms. Boy you learned so much from those articles. Wow.
that simply being near an asymptomatic infected individual is not likely to cause transmission, as well as the viewpoint that this strain of Ebola may be more contagious than initially assumed given the circumstances under which a Spanish nurse aid became infected.

Wow. A virus spread through contact. Viruses are contagious. Wow. What was I thinking.
What information do you think is lacking? Sounds to me like you've already drawn your own conclusions and won't be satisfied until the media confirms them. Until the mainstream press runs with the story that "Obama is a fool for not banning travel", you won't be happy.
I put my immovable goalpost up in the beginning. When there is a virus outbreak I want everyone to shut up except epidemiologists. When there is a shooting I want everyone shutting up except criminologists.

The reason why is you actually, exhibit A, you've claimed to read all the high end journalism and you can tell us nothing about it that a school child can know and yet you think you are informed. You know absolutely nothing about the situation, despite thinking you are well read. You had an opportunity to share knowledge, and what you share I can get from a grade schooler. You claimed to read the best of the best and I learned absolutely nothing from you. I already knew everything you said, and have since I was 5-8 years old. The top journalism has produced 5-8 year old knowledge.

You are exhibit A for the problem. "Viruses are contagious, more so if you exhibit symptoms" -Zack Morris.

What was I thinking.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Hello ?? Can anybody see this?

http://www.freep.com/story/news/world/2 ... /16879009/
Experts worry Ebola may spread more easily than assumed

Tribune News Service 10:37 a.m. EDT October 8, 2014

Health officials say Ebola is spread only through physical contact or bodily fluids. Yet some scientists say such assurances are premature.

BETHESDA, MD. – U.S. officials leading the fight against Ebola say they know the ways the virus is spread and how to stop it.

They say that unless an air traveler from disease-ravaged West Africa has a fever of at least 101.5 or other symptoms, co-passengers are not at risk. "There is zero risk of transmission on the flight," Dr. Thomas Frieden, director of the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said after a Liberian man who flew through airports in Belgium and Washington was diagnosed with Ebola in Dallas last week.

Other health officials voiced similar assurances, saying Ebola is spread only through physical contact or bodily fluids: "Ebola is not transmitted by the air," said Dr. Edward Goodman of Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas, where the man remains in critical condition.

Yet some scientists who have long studied Ebola say such assurances are premature — and they're concerned about what isn't known about the Ebola strain now on the loose. The present outbreak in West Africa has killed approximately 3,400 people.

Dr. C.J. Peters, who led the CDC's most far-reaching study of Ebola's transmission in humans, said he would not rule out the possibility that Ebola spreads through air. "We just don't have the data to exclude it," said Peters, who researches viral diseases at the University of Texas in Galveston.

Tom Skinner, a spokesman for the CDC in Atlanta, said that while the evidence "is really overwhelming" that people are most at risk when they touch sick people or have contact with their bodily fluids, "we can never say never" about the disease spreading through coughing or sneezing.

Moreover, some public health specialists said, there is no proof that an infected person without symptoms could not spread the virus. "It's really unclear," said Michael Osterholm, a public health scientist at the University of Minnesota who served on the U.S. government's National Science Advisory Board for Biosecurity. "None of us know."

CDC officials say asymptomatic patients cannot spread Ebola. Yet diagnosing symptoms can be subjective: Is a person mildly fatigued because of a lack of sleep or because of Ebola? Officials said last week that the patient hospitalized in Dallas, Thomas Eric Duncan, did not show signs of Ebola initially and failed to tell airport screeners he had contact with an Ebola-stricken woman. It is not known whether he knew she suffered from Ebola.

On Monday, President Barack Obama said his administration would develop additional screening protocols for airline passengers overseas and in the U.S. "I consider this a top national security priority," Obama said.

Skinner, at the CDC, said health officials were basing their responses on what was learned from fighting Ebola since 1976, when it was discovered in central Africa. He said ongoing studies would assess whether Ebola is mutating in ways that would require the government to change its policies. So far, he said, there has been no cause for concern.

SPAIN CASE: In Spain, three people were placed in quarantine Tuesday for possible exposure to Ebola. Spain's Health Ministry said Monday that a nursing assistant in Madrid tested positive. She is the first person in the current epidemic to have contracted Ebola outside Africa. The Associated Press reported that authorities plan to kill her dog, saying that scientific knowledge indicates a risk it could transmit the virus to humans. The New York Times said 50 others who might have had contact with her are being monitored. Health officials have said that the nurse became infected while treating a missionary who was in Sierra Leone.
Doc

Post by Doc »

So where is the leadership?
Doc wrote:.

Now look at who has been the bigger part of the fight against Ebola in Africa.. NGO's Obama and his administration really ought to be encouraging people to raise money for those aids groups on the front lines of the outbreak. I mean he is a community Organizer after all.

All Obama had to do (Actually he still could) is make some remarks on it Like:
"Now I would like to say something about the courageous volunteers that have been at the fronts lines of this outbreak. They and the NGOs that support them have really taken it on the chin. Risked their own lives to fight Ebola in very trying conditions." (Then put names and faces on it by giving some shout outs to some of the volunteers )

"Like Dr. George Risi who spent a month in Serra Leone And is now in Cuba training Cuban medical workers about to head there

http://www.npr.org/blogs/goatsandsoda/2 ... a-patients

I would encourage everyone to work to raise money for their efforts They not only need your support,they truly deserve your support
"

This is called leadership

http://money.cnn.com/2014/10/07/pf/ebola-donations/
Ebola donations lag far behind need
By Melanie Hicken @melhicken October 8, 2014: 8:02 AM ET

Ebola medicine in short supply

NEW YORK (CNNMoney)

Even though the largest Ebola outbreak in history has been dominating headlines, few Americans are opening their wallets to help.

Last month, the United Nations announced it would need nearly $1 billion to effectively fight the virus, which has killed more than 3,400 people across West Africa since March. If it is not contained, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates there could be hundreds of thousands of Ebola cases in coming months.

Ebola donations so far
Group Donations

U.S. Fund for UNICEF $10.1 million
Doctors Without Borders $5.5 million
American Red Cross $2.9 million
AmeriCares $1 million

"Every day we delay, the cost and the suffering will grow exponentially," UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon said at the time.

Related: Where your donation dollars go

The United States and other governments have pledged tens of millions of dollars to pay for everything from medicine and protective clothing for aid workers to safe burials for the deceased. Yet individual and corporate donations to support Ebola response efforts are lagging far behind the funds given in the aftermath of natural disasters, such as the 2010 earthquake in Haiti or last year's typhoon in the Philippines.

Four major U.S. aid organizations surveyed by CNNMoney have received a combined total of $19.5 million so far, much of which came from nonprofit foundations as opposed to individual donors.

In contrast, major charities received close to double that amount within a week of Typhoon Haiyan's destruction in the Philippines last year. And U.S. relief organizations raised $1.3 billion within six months of the 2010 earthquake in Haiti.

The American Red Cross, which raised $486 million to support its Haiti response efforts, has received only $100,000 in individual donations dedicated to fighting Ebola, on top of a $2.8 million foundation donation.

Spokeswoman Jana Sweeny said there hasn't been enough donor interest in the Ebola crisis for the organization to launch a text message campaign or to create a special Ebola "button" on their homepage.

"With a lot of events, we see an influx in phone calls and emails to our public inquiry line about how they can help," she said. "We just haven't seen it this time."

Meanwhile, Doctors Without Borders said it is not actively seeking Ebola donations because the group prefers unrestricted gifts that it can put toward causes where need is greatest.

Ebola outbreak: Ways to help

Even though the Ebola outbreak has become a growing public health crisis over the past several months, it has not attracted the attention of potential donors like natural disasters often do, said Kevin Allan, senior vice president of development at AmeriCares, a nonprofit emergency responder.

"It didn't have that sudden jolt (of) a flashing news report that an earthquake has struck some town and buildings have collapsed," he said. "It's often that sudden jolt that urges people to give."

The group has received $1 million to support its Ebola response work in Sierra Leone and Liberia. While it's seen a slight increase in donations following reports of Ebola patients arriving in the U.S., it's not in "any way comparable to some of the big disasters over the last several years," he said.

Yet unlike natural disasters, aid groups say they need to raise even more resources to help stop the Ebola epidemic from getting even worse.

For example, the U.S. Fund for UNICEF says that $57 can deliver one household kit with things like protective gloves and chlorine to help protect a family caring for someone with Ebola. Meanwhile it costs $29,500 to operate a 100-bed Ebola treatment unit for a month.

Caryl Stern, CEO of the fund, said that the crisis has been a "disaster within a disaster" because the disease hit poor countries with already weak medical systems. Many hospitals don't have running water or enough beds, let alone the medications and equipment needed to treat such an infectious disease.

"How do I quantify that and explain to the American people in the same way I can show a building here today and gone tomorrow?" she said. So far, the fund has received a mere fraction of the $74.5 million it received in the wake of the Haiti earthquake.

Related: The fight against Ebola is grossly underfunded

In a speech at the United Nations last month, Doctors Without Borders international president Joanne Liu said one of the group's facilities in Liberia is only able to open for just thirty minutes each morning "to fill beds made empty by those who died overnight."

Many of the sick must be turned away, she said, forcing them to return home where they can infect their family and neighbors.

"The sick are desperate, their families and caregivers are angry, and aid workers are exhausted..." she said. "Ebola is winning."
Doc

Post by Doc »

I disagree This could be so much worse than AIDS.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/ebola-worl ... d=26071855
Ebola Could Be 'World's Next AIDS,' CDC Director Warns

Oct 9, 2014, 11:17 AM ET

By MEGHAN KENEALLY

Ebola is spreading with such speed that it could become a global pandemic to rival AIDS if action isn't taken now, one of the U.S.'s top health officials has warned.

"In the 30 years I’ve been working public health, the only thing like this has been AIDS, and we have to work now so that this is not the world’s next AIDS," Dr. Tom Frieden, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said Wednesday.

Frieden spoke at a conference at the World Bank in Washington D.C. Those in attendance included a group of African leaders from countries where the virus has spread.

"Speed is the most important variable here," Frieden said. "This is controllable and this was preventable. It's preventable by investing in core public health services, both in the epicenter of the most affected countries, in the surrounding countries, and in other countries that might be affected."

The World Health Organization released a report on Wednesday that noted six countries -- five in West Africa and the United States -- that had been affected. The report notes, however, that the information they used was only accurate through Oct. 5, and just this week there was a confirmed case of Ebola in Spain when a nurse tested positive for the disease. That brings the number of affected countries to seven.

The WHO report said the three countries with the worst situation were Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, which all have widespread and intense transmission. Representatives from those three countries were all present at the meeting when Frieden spoke.

According to the WHO report, there had been 3,865 deaths as of Oct. 5 out of 8,033 confirmed cases. Those figures represents a 48 percent fatality rate.

The death of Thomas Eric Duncan, the Liberian man who was diagnosed and later died from Ebola in Dallas, was not included in those numbers. His death on Wednesday marked the first time someone in America had died from the disease.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

LaGuardia plane cleaners are on a strike for biohazard protections and training. The company response is to hire scabs.

Free universal healthcare sounds like a good idea right now. The Dallas patient ran up a $1/2M bill before he died. I think the US classification of healthcare as an industry needs reevaluation. We are spending billions for beancounters who primarily work to prevent sick people from getting treatment.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/10/09/ ... a-airport/
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:I disagree This could be so much worse than AIDS.

By MEGHAN KENEALLY

Ebola is spreading with such speed that it could become a global pandemic to rival AIDS if action isn't taken now, one of the U.S.'s top health officials has warned.

"In the 30 years I’ve been working public health, the only thing like this has been AIDS, and we have to work now so that this is not the world’s next AIDS," Dr. Tom Frieden, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said Wednesday.

Frieden spoke at a conference at the World Bank in Washington D.C. Those in attendance included a group of African leaders from countries where the virus has spread.

"Speed is the most important variable here," Frieden said. "This is controllable and this was preventable. It's preventable by investing in core public health services, both in the epicenter of the most affected countries, in the surrounding countries, and in other countries that might be affected."

The World Health Organization released a report on Wednesday that noted six countries -- five in West Africa and the United States -- that had been affected. The report notes, however, that the information they used was only accurate through Oct. 5, and just this week there was a confirmed case of Ebola in Spain when a nurse tested positive for the disease. That brings the number of affected countries to seven.

The WHO report said the three countries with the worst situation were Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, which all have widespread and intense transmission. Representatives from those three countries were all present at the meeting when Frieden spoke.

According to the WHO report, there had been 3,865 deaths as of Oct. 5 out of 8,033 confirmed cases. Those figures represents a 48 percent fatality rate.

The death of Thomas Eric Duncan, the Liberian man who was diagnosed and later died from Ebola in Dallas, was not included in those numbers. His death on Wednesday marked the first time someone in America had died from the disease.
That would mean that parts of sub-Saharan Africa would again be decimated, while the industrialized world would be mostly unaffected.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Free
It's never free.
universal
It's never universal.
healthcare sounds like a good idea right now.
It's never a good idea, and fortunately will never happen in the US thanks to obamacare.
The Dallas patient ran up a $1/2M bill before he died. I think the US classification of healthcare as an industry needs reevaluation.
healthcare is still an industry after it becomes "free and universal".
We are spending billions for beancounters who primarily work to prevent sick people from getting treatment.
It gets worse when you add the government. obama beancounted 3/4 of a trillion dollars out of "free universal" medicare, which will lead to the early deaths of millions.
Last edited by Mr. Perfect on Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:I disagree This could be so much worse than AIDS.

By MEGHAN KENEALLY

That would mean that parts of sub-Saharan Africa would again be decimated, while the industrialized world would be mostly unaffected.

I largely agree with that except to say that if it is not stopped it will not be just sub Saharan Africa It will be the entire third world. And if they can't stop health care workers from catching Ebola then it will be the industrialized world as well. Last numbers I saw were that 300 some health workers has died from Ebola. This is not constrained to African doctors with little training and equipment. At what point to medical personnel say "the hell with this" and bug out?
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

It's all speculation. Where are the professional epidemiologists. Nobody else is worth listening to.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote: Free
It's never free.
universal
It's never universal.
healthcare sounds like a good idea right now.
It's never a good idea, and fortunately will never happen in the US thanks to obamacare.
The Dallas patient ran up a $1/2M bill before he died. I think the US classification of healthcare as an industry needs reevaluation.
healthcare is still an industry after it becomes "free and universal".
We are spending billions for beancounters who primarily work to prevent sick people from getting treatment.
It gets worse when you add the government. obama beancounted 3/4 of a trillion dollars out of "free universal" medicare, which will lead to the early deaths of millions.
Do you go for Kincannon's Republican solution?
$500k and counting for one patient. How much will it cost when an ER is compromised? A hospital? Healthcare won't be much of an industry then.

There is a reason the US has free healthcare for TB patients. At first we had to build free hospitals specifically for TB; now free outpatient care is sufficient. Free healthcare is a very good idea for highly contagious diseases.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Post by Doc »

Mr. Perfect wrote:It's all speculation. Where are the professional epidemiologists. Nobody else is worth listening to.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/postevery ... ights-now/
Epidemiologist: Stop the flights now

Infected men and women may not be contagious on the plane, but they could wreak havoc when they arrive.

David Dausey
By David Dausey October 6
David Dausey, a Yale-trained epidemiologist who works on controlling pandemics, is dean of the School of Health Professions and Public Health at Mercyhurst University in Erie, Pennsylvania.

The United States got its first scare from Ebola last week when Thomas Eric Duncan, a man sick with the virus, traveled from Liberia to Dallas. This man was feared to have been in contact with up to 100 people after he became contagious, all of whom had to be individually evaluated by public health professionals for their exposure risk. Half of these individuals are currently under observation. Nine of them considered to be at highest risk are being checked twice daily for symptoms.

Bodily fluids including vomit spread Ebola, and Duncan — who presented himself to a Dallas hospital only to be misdiagnosed and sent home — vomited on the sidewalk outside of his home. It took days before a properly trained Hazmat crew was sent to the apartment to clean it. The human errors in this single case highlight why it is urgent that we ban all commercial flights from the impacted countries to all non-affected countries until the outbreak is contained. *

Individuals who suspect they have been exposed to Ebola and have the means to travel to the United States have every reason to get on a plane to the United States as soon as possible. There are no direct flights from the three most-affected nations, but passengers can transfer elsewhere, as Duncan did. If they stay in Africa, the probability that they will survive the illness if they have it is quite low. If they make it to the United States, they can expect to receive the best medical care the world can provide, and they will have a much higher probability of survival. So they are motivated to lie about their exposure status (wouldn’t you, in their shoes?) to airlines and public health officials and travel to the United States. *

The incubation period for Ebola is up to 21 days, so a person could get on a plane the day he or she is exposed and spend three weeks in the United States or elsewhere before exhibiting symptoms. Then he or she could potentially infect any number of people here before the disease is properly diagnosed, and they are isolated or quarantined. *

Top U.S. government health officials have spoken strongly against creating a travel ban (though members of Congress increasingly disagree). They say restricting flights will also restrict aid to affected countries and will increase the amount of ongoing unrest. But commercial airlines are not the only ways for the United States to send aid and aid workers. The United States has the most advanced military in the entire world; we can transport people and supplies without commercial carriers.

The Ebola outbreak in West Africa has been compared to a war zone. The disease is now being viewed as a national security threat on par with nuclear weapons. The United States has committed nearly 4,000 troops to impacted countries. It’s time to take security precautions that align with the gravity of the threat. That means doing whatever it takes to keep infected people from coming here.

Correction: Language was added to the paragraphs marked by an asterisk (*) to clarify that there are no direct flights to the United States, though flights stop in other non-affected nations.